Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Elementa [vBeta]
Elementa [vBeta]
Dec 25 2008, 8:22 pm
By: Lethal_Illusion
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 57 >

Dec 26 2008, 6:54 pm Impeached Post #41

You could edit it to do that quite easily, Cent.

...If Lethy approves, just make an edit that whenever X ling is moved, a wraith or whatever is created beside starport.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:00 pm Lethal_Illusion Post #42

Quote from Centreri
My only complaint is that it takes two button clicks to switch spells. Wouldn't it be more effecient to let the person hotkey 5 lings to signify the spells, (2-6), so to switch they just click one key and the click anywhere on the map to move it?
Wouldn't that also take two clicks? :P

I did think about using units to switch spells, but I thought it would be easier for the player just to use a common starport system.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:04 pm Biophysicist Post #43

Wouldn't it be better to let the people select which system they want? eg. Keep the Starport the way it is, but also do the move units thing.

Oh, one thing I heard about a while ago: If you use a worker and make it mine at the start of the map, the player can press "C" (Return Cargo) button, and the worker starts moving, which you can detect. This lets your players use just their keyboard to cast spells. (You could theoretically do the same with critters: Order them to Patrol to their location, and if the player presses the hotkey for the critter and presses the Stop hoykey, the Critter starts moving. Don't forget to re-order the critter.)

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:17 pm Lethal_Illusion Post #44

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
Wouldn't it be better to let the people select which system they want? eg. Keep the Starport the way it is, but also do the move units thing.

Oh, one thing I heard about a while ago: If you use a worker and make it mine at the start of the map, the player can press "C" (Return Cargo) button, and the worker starts moving, which you can detect. This lets your players use just their keyboard to cast spells. (You could theoretically do the same with critters: Order them to Patrol to their location, and if the player presses the hotkey for the critter and presses the Stop hoykey, the Critter starts moving. Don't forget to re-order the critter.)
Good ideas, but all of them still require two clicks...
I like the starport system because you can be building 2 units at the same time to combo your attacks.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:32 pm Symmetry Post #45

Dungeon Master

EUD unit selection detection? That'd simply require a hotkey ;o

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Dec 26 2008, 7:32 pm stickynote Post #46

I like the starport system because you can be building 2 units at the same time to combo your attacks.

That's an interesting idea. I honestly never thought of doing that.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:45 pm Biophysicist Post #47

Quote from name:Killer_Kow
EUD unit selection detection? That'd simply require a hotkey ;o

Don't EUDs glitch on Macs tho?

None.

Dec 26 2008, 7:56 pm Demented Shaman Post #48

You could try the system selfpossessed is using in his map. He pairs the same corsair with two different raszagals using hotkeys so when you're using one hotkey and cast dweb one of the raszagals will move and when you switch hotkeys and cast dweb the other raszagal will move.

o basically you're ordering two units, a corsair and raszagal, to cast dweb and you detect which raszagal moves. The raszagal that moves depends on which hotkey you're using.

The only problem is you're going to have two units selected at all times and you'll need to pair your main defiler with 5 different ones, one for each spell.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 8:01 pm Biophysicist Post #49

Actually, I thought of that system a while ago...

It would probably be the best system for this map. But make it so that trying to cast Dswarm with only one Defiler selected defaults to casting the last spell cast.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 8:07 pm UnholyUrine Post #50

I think the way it is right now is already good enough :P. There is no need to complicate things.

Of course, the map is almost beyond belief, and to think he used grids for everything, including the triggers where using moving units would've been easier just to make sure they don't glitch up. I would've never thought of using two screens just to accomadate the swarm.

A few complaints (but it is probably because this map isn't done yet ^.^;).. is that the players should get a little description to what spell they're using (or at least a description in the mission objective). I also don't like how limited the arena is :C... like the bridge is too narrow, and the staircase where p1 starts is never used because it's like a trap... :S...

As for the question you've asked me about the Gameplay. I can't really say, because not all the elements are done yet. It is definately a bit claustrophobic, but that cannot be changed. It is great that the spell effects are excellent, but still very controlled, logical, and dodgable. I love the earthquake effects. I would wish for an element.. like wind or something, where the defiler can tele around.. because it is quite slow :P.

Still, the sheer thought of triggering this would put me into agony X.X... I would never even try to accomplish something like this :P. Now that you got the swarm pointer system at your side, there're TONS of spells that you can do =D. This will be awesome. ..

Btw, why 73 hp? o.O

None.

Dec 26 2008, 8:08 pm Lethal_Illusion Post #51

You can't see your defiler's health with SelfPossessed's system.

Quote from UnholyUrine
A few complaints (but it is probably because this map isn't done yet ^.^;).. is that the players should get a little description to what spell they're using (or at least a description in the mission objective). I also don't like how limited the arena is :C... like the bridge is too narrow, and the staircase where p1 starts is never used because it's like a trap... :S...
When you select a spell, the map displays which spell you have selected and how to use it. It will only display if you have subtitles enabled, though.

Quote from UnholyUrine
As for the question you've asked me about the Gameplay. I can't really say, because not all the elements are done yet. It is definately a bit claustrophobic, but that cannot be changed. It is great that the spell effects are excellent, but still very controlled, logical, and dodgable. I love the earthquake effects. I would wish for an element.. like wind or something, where the defiler can tele around.. because it is quite slow :P.
The terrain isn't final. I just like the current build because it's cramped so it's difficult to cast some spells. It's also pretty easy to use the terrain to your advantage.
You can currently teleport with Fulmen (Lightning)... :P

Quote from UnholyUrine
Btw, why 73 hp? o.O
I just wanted a random number below 100 but still high.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 26 2008, 8:14 pm by Lethal_Illusion.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 8:11 pm Demented Shaman Post #52

Quote from Lethal_Illusion
You can't see your defiler's health with SelfPossessed's system.
You can always see the health bar, just not the actual number.

I think the tradeoff would be worth it. It would be an easier way to switch and cast spells while just making it a little harder to see the health.

You always have sight of your main defiler anyway so you could always quickly select it to get a view of the health number and then just hit your hotkey to resume switching spells.

WIth the starport you always have to go back and forth between starport and defiler.

Hotkeying multiple defilers is definitely much better than a starport system.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 9:13 pm BlueWolf Post #53

This map is already being played on public UMS :unsure:

None.

Dec 26 2008, 9:37 pm stickynote Post #54

Fuck. It's not even protected...

Some nublet's going to kill the map.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 9:59 pm Lethal_Illusion Post #55

Quote from stickynote
Fuck. It's not even protected...

Some nublet's going to kill the map.
Good luck to that person :P

None.

Dec 26 2008, 10:25 pm stickynote Post #56

Lol. I just looked at the triggers. Haha! Best map protection ever ;)

None.

Dec 26 2008, 10:43 pm Centreri Post #57

Relatively ancient and inactive

You could edit it to do that quite easily, Cent.

...If Lethy approves, just make an edit that whenever X ling is moved, a wraith or whatever is created beside starport.
... I know how to do it.

None.

Dec 26 2008, 10:53 pm Lethal_Illusion Post #58

Feel free to make any changes. I left it unprotected for a reason.

None.

Dec 27 2008, 12:02 am Impeached Post #59

It seems the tree on the right of the arena can mess up your defil's clone movement on other screen. Mess around near that tree / the cliff, look at minimap, and you'll see they're out of sync. Makes spell aiming quite difficult, to say the least. :bleh:

That aside, great map. Nice work having flashy effects + great gameplay. You almost never get both...

I love the idea of an invisible unit transmission-ing (the little yellow flash, I assume transmission) to symbolize lightning coming/meteor.

None.

Dec 27 2008, 12:06 am Lethal_Illusion Post #60

Quote from Impeached
It seems the tree on the right of the arena can mess up your defil's clone movement on other screen. Mess around near that tree / the cliff, look at minimap, and you'll see they're out of sync. Makes spell aiming quite difficult, to say the least. :bleh:

That aside, great map. Nice work having flashy effects + great gameplay. You almost never get both...
Yeah, I found that bug, too. It does that because of the 2-pixel grid.

Edit: Map is now updated to make said bug less likely to occur.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 27 2008, 1:14 am by Lethal_Illusion.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 57 >
  Back to forum