Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Protection vs Unprotection Discussion
Sep 19 2007, 5:46 pm
By: mikelat
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 1620 >

Sep 25 2007, 6:26 am mikelat Post #261

If you support it and don't want me to do something retarded, please for the love of science just stop with the exaggeration and remove that signature of yours. Then we can put this issue to rest.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:48 am DT_Battlekruser Post #262

Oh, that, I look at signatures so infrequently :P

None.

Sep 25 2007, 8:19 am Esponeo Post #263

I wanted to get back in the map making scene and since at the time I felt so strongly about unprotection I wanted to try to make a flagship site about that. It was a mistake. I realized later that I once again, let somebody get to me, and tried to change the site's policy to something more along the lines of open mapping.
You really shouldn't say things like 'I only support unprotection to be trendy' and 'I am easily influenced by virtually anyone.'

I wasn't getting much support financially or technically from the two co-founders and they got used to me doing everything...
That's not the way I heard it.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 25 2007, 8:25 am by Esponeo.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 11:02 am Moose Post #264

We live in a society.

Quote from Yoshi da Sniper
Me swtiching sites is yet another example of people getting to me. I wasn't getting much support financially or technically from the two co-founders and they got used to me doing everything, as a result latova was delayed again and I decided to come back to the original site where I made my original entry into the community in doing what I like doing, Staredit Network. It doesn't make me happy that I now look at Maplantis and I actually see MA and (mainly) LW being productive, because that implies that they were able to help me, just not willing.
You'll just leave again when you get tired of us?

Can you learn anything from a protected map? Nope.
You can learn plenty from playing protected maps by PLAYING them and analyzing how they work. This is how I am able to duplicate things when I want to. You may not directly learn how things are done, but you learn ideas.

I donno, maybe its because of crap you say like:.
What? We've all been talking in such a manner on both sides of the issue.

You make unprotection sound like its as bad the holocaust.
You make protection sound less bad?

Sep 25 2007, 12:21 pm The Starport Post #265

Mooooooose! Nooooo!

C'mon. This argument doesn't need to go on any longer. IP and Yoshi reached a resolution, and that's enough. As hollow as it is in the wake of OSMAP, it ought at least to be enough for now to settle this matter. Let's not invite more drama.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 1:26 pm mikelat Post #266

Whatever. I don't care anymore.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 1:40 pm Esponeo Post #267

C'mon. This argument doesn't need to go on any longer. IP and Yoshi reached a resolution, and that's enough. As hollow as it is in the wake of OSMAP, it ought at least to be enough for now to settle this matter. Let's not invite more drama.
As was made quite clear, the policy has been decided. Yoshi has been stating some rather ridiculous things regarding how "he" came to this policy and what happens if he does not like how it works out. So we attack. Stab. Stab stab. Stab.

Some people are just a little mystified how someone could start a big argument, claim they didn't want to argue, then end the argument by stating that everyone involved is a total child. Worse yet "he" supposedly came up with a great new policy that actually had already been in affect in the Rules FAQ written by Moose. And that's just the start of the craziness.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 1:45 pm cheeze Post #268

About time. Only a couple hundred posts too late but that's ok.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 3:23 pm mikelat Post #269

Quote from Esponeo
Some people are just a little mystified how someone could start a big argument, claim they didn't want to argue, then end the argument by stating that everyone involved is a total child. Worse yet "he" supposedly came up with a great new policy that actually had already been in affect in the Rules FAQ written by Moose. And that's just the start of the craziness.
Yeah okay. I made this topic so you guys can have your own voice in decisions we make here, and if the policy isn't much different then thats what we decided on to make you all happy. I didn't claim that i thought it up, I was just stating it.

Obviously allowing you to voice your opinion was a mistake. For the future I'll be sure to do stuff without consulting the community.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 3:37 pm ClansAreForGays Post #270

what's happened to you?

Sep 25 2007, 4:00 pm Kellimus Post #271

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Yep, that's what I said, and it is the only way anyone can or should look at the situation. As much as it sucks if someone steals credit for your map, keep spreading your correct version and live with it.

Believe it or not, some people don't feel that way, and you shouldn't make programs that force them to either change their opinions or go into a corner and cry. They're humans too.

You basically just won the argument.

"you shouldn't make programs that force them to either change their options or go into a corner and cry".

I don't need OSMAP to unprotect maps.

I have good ol' Hexadecimal Editing. :D

None.

Sep 25 2007, 4:08 pm The Starport Post #272

Consulting the community to let them choose for you isn't a good idea. Consulting to confirm the action you want to take and/or helping them understand the meaning behind it is why you do it.

As I said. People don't know shit. Don't rely on them.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 4:37 pm Sael Post #273

What 'e said.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 5:49 pm Esponeo Post #274

Obviously allowing you to voice your opinion was a mistake. For the future I'll be sure to do stuff without consulting the community.
I like you more every day.

In fairness, the administrators and moderators are not elected here. They are not necessarily the "voice" of the community. Your position is still administrative however, and as such it is your job to make the decisions that affect everyone. If your goal is to keep people coming to this website, people who are intelligent and who add something to the community, you should be making decisions that keep those people happy. Do you really need to make topics like this to find out what is going to keep those people happy? I think not.

Making a topic like this in order to get some insight into what the community wants may generate some goodwill towards you. However being dismissive of those discussing the issue makes it worse than if you had never sought the community's opinion at all.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 6:26 pm Moose Post #275

We live in a society.

Quote from Tuxedo-Templar
Mooooooose! Nooooo!
I didn't intend to challenge his stance, only the reasoning behind it. I would implement a similar, if not the same policy. You already know where I stand and why. :P

For the future I'll be sure to do stuff without consulting the community.
Good! Just remember to consult me & the staff. :P

Sep 25 2007, 10:41 pm Dapperdan Post #276

So we looked at the facts. There is already one site with OSmap that supports it, so we'll keep SEN the way it is for the time being. Although a lot of the community has changed their views to the point where it would actually be okay to host it, two different sites with two different policies sounds much better

The policy is something I can live with, as I said before, but this a bit ridiculous. Just because the USA supports democracy (right or wrong) doesn't mean that Cuba should support communism (right or wrong).

If it's a matter of offering 2 things and each individual could only choose one, obviously 2 different things has the potential to please more people, each person can get what they want. That is the only arguement for you, except, many of the users of both sites are interchangable, which nullifies most of that.

Please, Please, don't tell me that now. If you feel it necessary to ignore all the intelligent posts made, or at least not act on them after prompting all of them to be made, then don't just use the reasoning that a few people made bullshit arguements and therefore the whole arguement isn't helpful. It would be nice if you could at least acknowledge their were people who were making good points, discussing what was supposed to be discussed, helping to determine a policy.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 26 2007, 1:05 am by Dapperdan.

None.

Sep 25 2007, 11:48 pm Akar Post #277

You guys make me laugh. No matter what you guys do, you'll never agree on anything. You guys can THINK all you want, but nothing will happen until you DO something.
As for the USA, it is the superpower in the world, so whatever it says is bad is bad. And the USA says communism is bad, so it is.

None.

Sep 26 2007, 12:10 am Protogod Post #278

This is ridiculous. I'll be on warboards not getting my maps stolen, kthx.

I mean, there never really was a "decide your fate" mentality here. Look at yoshi's first post. This argument isnt just about allowing the unprotection program, this is about the OSMAP philosophy that yoshi believes in. No matter which side wins, yoshi's philosophy is the bottom line- No off-limits maps.

This kind of begging-the-question-fallacy is just sickening. While everyone here was attacking the Straw-man of OSMAP (the program) yoshi's subtle little assumption went unnoticed.

You people argue for 14 pages while he sits nice and cushy, knowing that no matter what, people will always be able to steal maps as they wish. It doesnt matter if OSMAP is allowed if you cant protect maps anyway, just as it doesnt matter if you can protect maps as long as OSMAP is allowed.

I, for one, don't want my maps to be editable by the public, which is the ONLY thing that is up for debate here. But thanks to yoshi's ploy, that really isnt even up for debate. All this thread does is give people the illusion that their opinion matters.

Smart boy, yoshi. Not smart enough, though.

None.

Sep 26 2007, 12:47 am Money Post #279

Have fun at warboards :D

None.

Sep 26 2007, 12:51 am Falkoner Post #280

Lol, I haven't seen any good maps come from you, or any help either, so I really don't care if you go to warboards, because here, we know what we are doing, and so does 'smart boy' yoshi.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 1620 >
  Back to forum