Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: RE: Raccoon City 1.xx Release
RE: Raccoon City 1.xx Release
Nov 28 2008, 10:22 pm
By: Excalibur
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Jun 24 2009, 6:54 am Excalibur Post #61

The sword and the faith

Quote from LokiArexon
Are you still planning to release 1.5?
Possibly. There's a lot going on with the guts of the map that's making things difficult.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 24 2009, 9:33 am LokiArexon Post #62

Oh. Well good luck!

None.

Jun 24 2009, 3:25 pm JaFF Post #63

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from LokiArexon
Are you still planning to release 1.5?
Possibly. There's a lot going on with the guts of the map that's making things difficult.
Then redesign them from scratch! Everything in a map must be as elegant as mozzarella cheeze on Jessica Alba's body and as well-flowing as lube on polished ice. :hurr:

None.

Jun 24 2009, 3:49 pm Riney Post #64

Thigh high affectionado

Quote from JaFF
Then redesign them from scratch! Everything in a map must be as elegant as mozzarella cheeze on Jessica Alba's body and as well-flowing as lube on polished ice. :hurr:

Where the hell did that come from? xD

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jul 2 2009, 2:36 pm Excalibur Post #65

The sword and the faith

All right, I figured I'd update you guys on what exactly went wrong and where we stand right now.

After 1.44 became stable, albeit easy, but still stable, I wanted to let it get spread for awhile while I prepared the 1.50 release. This means we were skipping 1.45-1.49 unless absolutely necessary. Since no harsh bugs arose, this plan was solid. However, 1.50 was not just another update, this was going to be the gutting of the map, the second to final phase of turning it into Raccoon City 2. The timer, spawn systems, and various other back-end things that the players of the map would never actually see much of, were all going to be replaced by more modern systems, mainly deathcounters. This would allow me better control over the map at all times and I could stop the timer for certain events, make spawns based on mission progress, and other dynamic and interesting changes. Spawns would no longer be one type of unit for a few waves, and what types you would be facing would deal with your kills, number of troops, and what missions you had decided weren't worth the effort.

This all sounded great on paper, as most things do. Problems however arose.

Due to my over confidence in the trigger systems we were going to implement, I took 1.50 Release Candidate 1 Beta 7 and gutted it. I took out all the systems we were going to replace. This obviously had to be done for us to move forward. The problem was the gap between B6 and B7 was huge, and I should've saved as B8 before doing this. I did not. Due to this mistake and the problems encountered in the death counter systems, we lost a huge amount of progress, mainly balancing, terrain, and about 1000 clicks worth of unit placement I re-did to optimize checkpoints. I know to most mappers this doesn't seem like much but I'm a simple mapper, for me, death counters is getting complicated. I don't even fuck with mobile grids or any of that new-age mapping stuff. The only time I get advanced is in my terrain, and the space tileset doesn't have too many options in that area to begin with.

Anyway we end up with lost progress which demoralized me greatly, coupled with a gutted map with half triggered half working systems. I got pissed off and said 'Fuck it, let them play 1.44, it's good enough.' I knew it wasn't good enough, as I expect better of myself especially when working on a map that has such sentimental value to me, but I was pretty pissed off.

Today I went back to B6 with a view into restarting development.

It doesn't look all that good. As it stands the map will be something more worth of a 1.4x numbering than 1.5x. But for now, until the problems with the new systems can be solved, it is the best I can do.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 8 2009, 5:49 pm Neki Post #66

The map was fun, I did like the terrain it looked nice. The missions were kinda confusing though, I only did like two. Also, there's this weird bug if I bring an SCV to the Police Armory Crystal it glitches out on me.

None.

Jul 8 2009, 7:47 pm Jack Post #67

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

I had the same glitch when I played it a while back and I'm guessing its two locations used to stop the SCV getting too close, and they are too close so the SCV is constantly ordered to a location it's already at.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jul 9 2009, 3:43 am Excalibur Post #68

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Ultimo
The map was fun, I did like the terrain it looked nice. The missions were kinda confusing though, I only did like two. Also, there's this weird bug if I bring an SCV to the Police Armory Crystal it glitches out on me.
Quote from name:zany_001
I had the same glitch when I played it a while back and I'm guessing its two locations used to stop the SCV getting too close, and they are too close so the SCV is constantly ordered to a location it's already at.
Both were noted on the very first page. This versions been out a long time. :P

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jul 9 2009, 4:09 am LokiArexon Post #69

Is there any chance the SEN community can help with your death trigger woes?

None.

Jul 9 2009, 5:30 am Excalibur Post #70

The sword and the faith

Quote from LokiArexon
Is there any chance the SEN community can help with your death trigger woes?
The problem would require a re-trigger of so much of the map, it'd be easier not to use DCs. The problem is we then have to find an alternate way to do what we wanted. We're working on it.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum