Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: RE: Raccoon City 1.xx Release
RE: Raccoon City 1.xx Release
Nov 28 2008, 10:22 pm
By: Excalibur
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Nov 29 2008, 8:39 pm RISKED911 Post #21

Map looks so different than the original.

None.

Nov 29 2008, 8:40 pm Lingie Post #22

Johnny, flame this less. Panzer_Kavalier was an EAST mapper for sure. I remember testing 1.02 with him back in the fucking day. You modification made the game childish in every aspect. Noob friendly, and adding your friends as heroes. You're no better then Shimby, with his MTG secret.

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Nov 30 2008, 12:06 am Excalibur Post #23

The sword and the faith

Quote from RISKED911
Map looks so different than the original.
I know, my style is very different from PKs.

Quote from name:Darkling
Johnny, flame this less. Panzer_Kavalier was an EAST mapper for sure. I remember testing 1.02 with him back in the fucking day. You modification made the game childish in every aspect. Noob friendly, and adding your friends as heroes. You're no better then Shimby, with his MTG secret.
This.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Nov 30 2008, 1:30 am MasterJohnny Post #24

This.[/quote]

Brainwashed by a Fake PK already >:( (no point in trying to convince the brain washed :| )
RC is suppose to be really hard but you have people making it to the very last seconds. Much of original stuff was removed in this version while in my version they are just additions.

I am a Mathematician

Nov 30 2008, 1:52 am Zell. Post #25

why would ever argue about this johnny. He built this map from scratch, you edited it. Him > You. What would the real panzer say?

None.

Nov 30 2008, 1:54 am Excalibur Post #26

The sword and the faith

Quote from Zell.
why would ever argue about this johnny. He built this map from scratch, you edited it. Him > You. What would the real panzer say?
No it is not from scratch. I would say about 70% of the original triggering remains unedited. Another 15% is triggers I had to re-work and edit, and another 15% are brand new. However, the terrain is all redone, and units and balance have been completely redone.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Nov 30 2008, 3:02 am ClansAreForGays Post #27

and adding your friends as heroes. You're no better then Shimby, with his MTG secret.
wow johnny, you phail hard.

Nov 30 2008, 3:57 am Darkfox01 Post #28

Quote from Excalibur
Quote from Darkfox01
Also, this seems to be a glitch for all the maps in general, but if someone is in the armory when the additional supply depos become available, you won't get them. Wondering if there was a way to fix that aside from not being in the armory at the time.

And not a glitch per se, but can't find the sewer access point.
Did it happen in 1.44? Because I believe I did something to fix that, although I'm not sure.

Yes, it was 1.44, the version you have allowed to be released. I really wish I knew of an easier way to deal with it other than not being in the armory and hoping that no one else enters it before the depo is assessable. :dontgetit:

None.

Nov 30 2008, 4:01 am Excalibur Post #29

The sword and the faith

All right, I never claimed it was bug free. I mean hell, I've done some 35 versions so far. :P
Thanks for letting me know, and I'll do my best to address it, as well as the SCV bug, if you find any more bugs, or have suggestions, I'm ready to hear them.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Nov 30 2008, 11:29 am LokiArexon Post #30

Hey,

Thanks for making this! I can tell you put a lot into it. It definitely has some nice attributes, however, I feel like there's a few things that need some work.

Very Nice:

-I like certain elements of the re-arranged main base. I had much fewer issues with pathing than I usually have moving around the base.

-The Allied AI seems to work well; computer ghosts would lockdown dragoons! Very amusing.

Bugs:

-The ghosts on the ridge around the college will shoot enemy units; as a result, the zombies that spawn up there get trapped. If you aren't clearing it consistently, there's a huge horde of zombies that gets stuck out there that you have to wade through to protect the truck. Since I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended I'm listing it as a bug.

-At some point, the ghosts in the area to the upper right of the main area stop shooting. I don't know why, other ghosts in the outlying areas kept fighting back, like in the top, but the ones in the upper right did not.

-Occasional "unit unplaceable" error messages due to to many units attempting to spawn.

Questionable design decisions:

-The goons seem rather weak; why is their health so low?

-Most archons do no damage to bunkers. Kinda lame.

-The strength of the allied comp in general. I like that it is smarter, but it starts with 8 more ups than you in both armor and weapons. The two bunks outside the main base can single-handedly hold off something like 15 minutes of Crimson Heads. I'd kinda rather die than be outclassed by the computer the whole game. I would tone down their ups to 5 at the most. And reduce bunker armor to 40 or something lower than it is right now.

-There needs to be more expository dialogue. I didn't know why civilians were still coming until after the Subway was already dead. Maybe something that mentions that the subway brings civs?

-Mission timing... between I think 50 and 30 there are still no missions. Missions I think should be introduced earlier rather than later.

-Center screening. I hate center screening. I've always especially hated the center screening at the beginning of the original version. I don't want to see where every check-point is; a mini-map ping and text is more than enough. And center-screening when new civs appear in the base is very frustrating.

I played through it once alone and survived until 30 minutes left on the timer. Considering I had almost no units except an scv, I feel like I should have died at the 50 if you were trying to stay true to the original game style. I think that if you adjusted certain things some more this would be a very promising version.

But there's one more thing: attitude.

The first mission briefing screen pops up and then vanishes before you can read anything. The second one is a little bit over the top condemning other versions that people are certainly going to play regardless of you making this version and making you come off as a jerk. Mission briefing, if its going to be read at all (which in multiplayer it most the time won't), should begin the process of immersing you in the world... not beating you over the head about playing other version that quite frankly are very similar and often implement similar design features (I mean, come on, the helicopter mission is *awfully similar* to version X.) If your map is genuinely better than the other versions it will speak for itself and people will play it because it is more fun, or at least presents a different feeling. Don't try to tell people they should because you said so... that's just silly.

Hope this didn't come off as too harsh, it really is a good effort, good luck!

None.

Nov 30 2008, 2:57 pm Craftstar2 Post #31

What does the subway do? I moved some guys in there and how do i get them out? They also stood at the top right and shot at enemies making them stop moving .

None.

Dec 1 2008, 12:30 am Excalibur Post #32

The sword and the faith

Quote from Craftstar2
What does the subway do? I moved some guys in there and how do i get them out? They also stood at the top right and shot at enemies making them stop moving .
Subway spawns 3 civs per time cycle that go to the RPD, for each 10 that get there, everyone gets another civ. You exit the subway in its top left corner.

Quote from LokiArexon
Hey,

Thanks for making this! I can tell you put a lot into it. It definitely has some nice attributes, however, I feel like there's a few things that need some work.

Very Nice:

-I like certain elements of the re-arranged main base. I had much fewer issues with pathing than I usually have moving around the base.

-The Allied AI seems to work well; computer ghosts would lockdown dragoons! Very amusing.
Thanks.

Bugs:

Quote from LokiArexon
-The ghosts on the ridge around the college will shoot enemy units; as a result, the zombies that spawn up there get trapped. If you aren't clearing it consistently, there's a huge horde of zombies that gets stuck out there that you have to wade through to protect the truck. Since I'm pretty sure this wasn't intended I'm listing it as a bug.
Noted.

Quote from LokiArexon
-At some point, the ghosts in the area to the upper right of the main area stop shooting. I don't know why, other ghosts in the outlying areas kept fighting back, like in the top, but the ones in the upper right did not.
Noted.

Quote from LokiArexon
-Occasional "unit unplaceable" error messages due to to many units attempting to spawn.
Known. Currently unsure what I want to do about this.

Questionable design decisions:

Quote from LokiArexon
-The goons seem rather weak; why is their health so low?
Their damage is significantly increased to compensate.

Quote from LokiArexon
-Most archons do no damage to bunkers. Kinda lame.
Known, intentional. Bunkers are a form of strategy, and if you fail to get the garbage truck, you don't have the luxury of them to hold off said Archons.

Quote from LokiArexon
-The strength of the allied comp in general. I like that it is smarter, but it starts with 8 more ups than you in both armor and weapons. The two bunks outside the main base can single-handedly hold off something like 15 minutes of Crimson Heads.
AI was supposed to be more useful, and the main area was a subject of much conversation with me and my testers during our beta processes. It was my idea that as the very last line of defense before the RPD, the people there would be fortified and throwing all they had to stop the undead, as such, it should be very hard to take. However, I am going to do some enemy spawn re-designs.

Quote from LokiArexon
I'd kinda rather die than be outclassed by the computer the whole game. I would tone down their ups to 5 at the most. And reduce bunker armor to 40 or something lower than it is right now.
Bunkers explained above, might down the ups a bit, and explained the comp a bit above.

Quote from LokiArexon
-There needs to be more expository dialogue. I didn't know why civilians were still coming until after the Subway was already dead. Maybe something that mentions that the subway brings civs?
If you rescued the subway, you would've been displayed the dialogue. Due to switch errors (We aren't sure which ones are used and which aren't. One of the problems with editing someone else's triggers. v.v) I didn't put it in a way to display to everyone.

Quote from LokiArexon
-Mission timing... between I think 50 and 30 there are still no missions. Missions I think should be introduced earlier rather than later.
Disagree. Compared to the old RE:RC I feel there are a bit too many, and the snipers are introduced very late because you need to work very hard to get them as they can assure you victory. Its a matter of cost:reward.

Quote from LokiArexon
-Center screening. I hate center screening. I've always especially hated the center screening at the beginning of the original version. I don't want to see where every check-point is; a mini-map ping and text is more than enough. And center-screening when new civs appear in the base is very frustrating.
A lot of center-screening was already taken out, if you can imagine just how much there was in PK's 1.09. I've already taken out so many, the ones left seemed of little consequence, but still, noted.

Quote from LokiArexon
I played through it once alone and survived until 30 minutes left on the timer. Considering I had almost no units except an scv, I feel like I should have died at the 50 if you were trying to stay true to the original game style. I think that if you adjusted certain things some more this would be a very promising version.
Noted.

Quote from LokiArexon
But there's one more thing: attitude.

The first mission briefing screen pops up and then vanishes before you can read anything.
Intentional, just got too lazy to remove it, but I'll get around to it.

Quote from LokiArexon
The second one is a little bit over the top condemning other versions that people are certainly going to play regardless of you making this version and making you come off as a jerk.
No other editor had the real PK's permission to edit the map. It was protected and closed source, and so they should be considered as bad as thieves. Not to mention nearly all of them just rigged the map up with 'secrets'.

Quote from LokiArexon
Mission briefing, if its going to be read at all (which in multiplayer it most the time won't), should begin the process of immersing you in the world... not beating you over the head about playing other version that quite frankly are very similar and often implement similar design features (I mean, come on, the helicopter mission is *awfully similar* to version X.) If your map is genuinely better than the other versions it will speak for itself and people will play it because it is more fun, or at least presents a different feeling. Don't try to tell people they should because you said so... that's just silly.

Hope this didn't come off as too harsh, it really is a good effort, good luck!
I understand what you're saying, but I had to do something to speak out against the wrongs committed by those disgraceful few who disrespected PK so badly. I have no regrets about it, and am proud that my message is clear. It isn't a matter of 'because I say so', it's a matter of making a map that isn't rigged with so-called 'secrets', and that I had permission to do everything I did. I have unending respect for PK, he is a US soldier and a mapper who I looked up to when I got my start. He deserves better than what he's gotten from some of these 'editors', I'd rather just call them scum.

Thank you very much for your bug reports and criticism. It was very well done, and I will do my best to fix everything up.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 1 2008, 12:41 am by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Dec 1 2008, 7:27 am Darkfox01 Post #33

Bug: Hero rines do not show up in the locker room after you save the Gunshop owner. As in, you don't let him die during the attack. The first time I played the map, I unlocked it, but now it no longer works. Two times I surrounded him, and it didn't trigger, with made me thing it had something to do with him not moving. But two other times he made it though without anyone near him, and it didn't trigger in the locker room.

As for the map itself, I think it is generally easy. I remember in your first topic regarding this map someone said the old strategy around 10 to 15 ups didn't work. While this is true, if you raise your attack to 20 to 25, you should be able to hold your spot till at least the crimsons, if not further with the help of blue and its' improved AI, and their ups.

Also worth noting is the someone more forgiving map. In the other ones, if you were down a person or two, it would spell certain failure since you wouldn't get the kills you needed to upgrade. In this version, it seems that each point gets a generous amount of civs, and that isn't including the subway mission. An additional med in the hospital also helps to buy you time should someone trigger it without knowing. It's a good balance since they still don't live forever, and with the additional key you need to get along with the large amount of crimsons, it proves to be a challenge, while still being able to be accessed early.

Another point somewhat worth just point out is the somewhat less importance of bats. This can be seen as somewhat of an improvement. In PK's map, a party could rake in the mins by having one bat take point, and have it kill the zealots before the comp could steal it. In this version, with the addition of archons, and more waves of lings and hydras, it's less of a tactic. However, as stated before, that is offset by the large amount of civs each player gets.

Really, the make or break part of the game is when Neme appears. (Also, possible bug: when the shuttle goes about to each point, if a checkpoint or a player is still there it will auto kill the units but not place the canister. Not sure it that's intended). If you can't kill the canisters, that spells certain demise for your team. The only way to destroy them seems to have some hero rines with a large amount of ups (the player who did it in my last game had 60, which translated to a little over 100 attack.)

As for the M-21, there is very little warning to the attack, since as the dialogue is coming up the units have spawned and are already running towards the ghosts that are running towards them. I suggest either another message pop-up before the attack, or at least don't have the ghosts start charging the instant you meet them (as in, wait till the dialogue finished before they start moving).

Overall though, it is a good fair map, with a good change of getting towards the end. As mentioned though, the M-21 or the lack thereof can quickly change to a Mission Failed.

Dec 1 2008, 8:00 am Excalibur Post #34

The sword and the faith

Quote from Darkfox01
Bug: Hero rines do not show up in the locker room after you save the Gunshop owner. As in, you don't let him die during the attack. The first time I played the map, I unlocked it, but now it no longer works. Two times I surrounded him, and it didn't trigger, with made me thing it had something to do with him not moving. But two other times he made it though without anyone near him, and it didn't trigger in the locker room.
Noted. Through out the 1.xx development the gunshop has had the most problems out of any other area. Apparently I need to totally re-trigger it, which I was trying to avoid.

Quote from Darkfox01
As for the map itself, I think it is generally easy. I remember in your first topic regarding this map someone said the old strategy around 10 to 15 ups didn't work. While this is true, if you raise your attack to 20 to 25, you should be able to hold your spot till at least the crimsons, if not further with the help of blue and its' improved AI, and their ups.
Actually, it's mass armor that makes or breaks you.

Quote from Darkfox01
Another point somewhat worth just point out is the somewhat less importance of bats.
Beg to differ. Depending on how many players you have in your game they may be totally needed for the gunshop M4A1 mission.

Quote from Darkfox01
(Also, possible bug: when the shuttle goes about to each point, if a checkpoint or a player is still there it will auto kill the units but not place the canister. Not sure it that's intended).
Intended, if people were in the way, canister wouldn't spawn, was a cheap way to cheat-win.

Quote from Darkfox01
If you can't kill the canisters, that spells certain demise for your team. The only way to destroy them seems to have some hero rines with a large amount of ups (the player who did it in my last game had 60, which translated to a little over 100 attack.)
Wrong again. Bats Mass > Neme

Quote from Darkfox01
As for the M-21, there is very little warning to the attack, since as the dialogue is coming up the units have spawned and are already running towards the ghosts that are running towards them. I suggest either another message pop-up before the attack, or at least don't have the ghosts start charging the instant you meet them (as in, wait till the dialogue finished before they start moving).
Again, the player setting off the tripwire gets the dialogue. Again, this is due to the previously mentioned switch problem.

Quote from Darkfox01
Overall though, it is a good fair map, with a good change of getting towards the end. As mentioned though, the M-21 or the lack thereof can quickly change to a Mission Failed.
Thanks.

As a side note, I am thinking of making the map as hard as 1.08 was. :P

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Dec 1 2008, 3:09 pm Zell. Post #35

Did you use panzers trigger style to not use current player? i know he rarely used it in either raccoon city or normandy.

None.

Dec 1 2008, 4:39 pm Excalibur Post #36

The sword and the faith

Quote from Zell.
Did you use panzers trigger style to not use current player? i know he rarely used it in either raccoon city or normandy.
If you read above, 70% of them are still his. 15% are my redone triggers, (Messy, some commented, some not. Might clean them up, might not.), and 15% are triggers of his I had to entirely re-work. (Such a fucking hassle, specially with switches.) I'm not really sure what my style is, but I just go with whatever works.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Dec 1 2008, 8:45 pm Excalibur Post #37

The sword and the faith

I probably shouldn't be showing this this early in development but uh....
<<
>>
<<

No promises, but I think you know whats coming.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Dec 1 2008, 11:44 pm Craftstar2 Post #38

Perhaps you could make another small entrance open up into the RPD to zombies like 30 minutes into the game. That could make it harder. Maybe the wall fell in the north of the RPD and zombies can now come from there.

None.

Dec 2 2008, 12:32 am Excalibur Post #39

The sword and the faith

Quote from Craftstar2
Perhaps you could make another small entrance open up into the RPD to zombies like 30 minutes into the game. That could make it harder. Maybe the wall fell in the north of the RPD and zombies can now come from there.
You can't change terrain in-game, and using any other method would cause pathing problems.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Dec 2 2008, 12:46 am Craftstar2 Post #40

Put a wall of depots and destroy them.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum