Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Blizzard has officially fucked us over
Blizzard has officially fucked us over
Oct 14 2008, 3:41 am
By: Echo
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Oct 14 2008, 3:05 pm chuiu Post #21

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/blizzcon-2008-rob-pardo-talks-battle-net-monetizing/

So Julian Wilson told us that you guys are looking monetize Battle.Net in some way. Is that right?

Wow, that's an evil way of putting it. Julian's turning into a business guy on me. Here's the way I would put it. We're definitely not looking at turning Diablo into a subscription based game. It's clearly not an MMO, so it's not appropriate to do a business model like that. The way we approach all of our games now, is we come up with what we think is a great game, and then we wrap the appropriate business model around it. If that's just a box price, then that's that.

With Battle.Net we're definitely looking at possible different features that we might be able to do for additional money. We're not talking about Hellgate or anything like that. We're not going to tack things on. I think World of Warcraft is a great example to look at. We charge people if they want to switch servers or if they want name changes, things that aren't core to the game experience, they're really just optional things that some people want. It takes us some development work to do it, so it makes sense to charge for it. We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.

We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.

We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.

Foot. In. Mouth.

None.

Oct 14 2008, 3:17 pm rockz Post #22

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Quote from chuiu
Where did you get it? The rest of us payed full price for it.
Electronics Boutique. In '96, my dad downloaded spawn diablo on our 28k modem (which took 4 days), and finally decided to buy it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. After playing for 2 years and absolutely loved it, I heard SC was coming out, went to EB, asked the guy if it was any good (he said yes) and since there was a 20$ off sale, I got it for $20-25 of my own money (I was 11 at the time, too).

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Oct 14 2008, 4:55 pm ClansAreForGays Post #23

Quote from rockz
Quote from chuiu
Where did you get it? The rest of us payed full price for it.
Electronics Boutique. In '96, my dad downloaded spawn diablo on our 28k modem (which took 4 days), and finally decided to buy it. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. After playing for 2 years and absolutely loved it, I heard SC was coming out, went to EB, asked the guy if it was any good (he said yes) and since there was a 20$ off sale, I got it for $20-25 of my own money (I was 11 at the time, too).
This is the real American story. I'd vote for any candidate who included that in his stump speech.

Oct 14 2008, 5:23 pm InsolubleFluff Post #24

Didn't they already clarify that the SC2 trilogy is going to be a trilogy?
You are not paying for the race, you're paying for the campaign. All races are playable as of the Terran pack, just the following two games are campaigns with maybe a slight update to battle.net. They even said that the protoss and zerg CD's will be expansion packs, so people that don't ultimately want to buy all three campaigns, don't need to in order to get the multiplayer experience. So the SC2 thing is not that big a deal, I would of preffered the delay and got all at once, but hey, with the American economy down and major holidays approaching, this may be a business plan to make SC2 the headline game of christmas so they get huge sales, because people wont be able to afford to buy games they're unsure uf.

As for Diablo 3, as long as the extra features IS for stuff stupid like, name changes, additional character slots or other misc things that arn't actually ever NEEDED to be done, then i'm fine with it. However if they fuck us over by giving us say 2 or 4 character slots out of 8 available character slots and charge us 5.99 for more character slots, that's stupid.

As for the Steam comments, it's not the same thing.
Team Fortress 2 has all the core elements pre-coded, for example you cannot be a heavy with a medigun using a sniper rifle and then eat a sanvdich. They don't have to do a huge campaign and all these alternative features that they can charge people for, however you do get charged extra for stuff like hosting Servers, guest passes and miniscule things like that, so they ARE doing what Steam does :S!!

None.

Oct 14 2008, 5:31 pm Falkoner Post #25

WoW was $49.99.

You can download WoW...

None.

Oct 14 2008, 5:33 pm Madroc Post #26

OMFG NOT ANOTHER FING WOW I AM SO OUT IF THEY MAKE ME PAY FOR B.NET OR MICRO TRANSACTIONS
I might buy ONE starcraft for the campaign, but... shift.
If this is true I am finally going to get some serious work IRL accomplished, heh.

That is kind of depressing, tho :(

None.

Oct 14 2008, 5:35 pm Fisty Post #27

If they make Battle.net not free I will personally sick an Ultralisk on them.

None.

Oct 14 2008, 5:35 pm Lingie Post #28

Hopefully, each piece of the trillogy will have a new CDKey. I'd rather not have to buy two sets of the who fucking thing just so that me and DM can play together.

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Oct 14 2008, 5:40 pm Devourer Post #29

Hello

Quote from Echo
-This weekend was blizzcon, a convention to show off blizzard games
-Starcraft II will now be released as 3 seperate games, you have to buy a separate game for the protoss, the zerg, and the terran
-Diablo 3 will now have microtransactions (aka you have to pay money for certain features in the game)
-4 Players per game in Diablo 3
-No Mods (GG Modding Community)
-possible inclusion of DRM
-possible ending of free battle.net

This means you will have to pay 3 x $30 (or $40, or $50) to have the complete Starcraft II experience, and to get the most out of Diablo 3, you will have to pay $50 + whatever else you want.

All Blizzard supporters who say "THEY NEED TO CHARGE, THEY CAN'T RELEASE IT FOR FREE!!", look at Valve/TF2

It's no wonder PC gaming is in the shape it is today with stunts like that on SC2. I'm sure they'll be driving many to pirate with that.

Source:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199172...dlines;title;1

Source:
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55271

Source:
http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/bliz...dlc-available/

Source:
http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15298

I thought the first few news that were revealed was decent and can be overlooked, but now it can't because it all adds up.

Also, some other cruel things Blizzard is doing.
Blizzard refuses to refund

woot the hell??
diablo3: ok
but battle.net should be free! FOR EVER!!!
if it won't be for free later... is it possible to create a own server??
if not: HAMACHI! xD

3SC2 parts aren't that bad.... but is there one main game, and 2 addons? or 3 "main"games? if 1 maingame and 2 addons a addon should not be more expensiv as 20$-25$

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Oct 14 2008, 6:01 pm Forsaken Archer Post #30

-Diablo 3 will now have microtransactions (aka you have to pay money for certain features in the game)
I hope to god that doesn't include such things as buying items directly from blizzard.

None.

Oct 14 2008, 6:05 pm InsolubleFluff Post #31

Guys did you not read my response as to the SC2 Trilogy :S?

None.

Oct 14 2008, 6:39 pm Fisty Post #32

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
I hope to god that doesn't include such things as buying items directly from blizzard.
This. Otherwise I'm sticking to D2...

None.

Oct 14 2008, 6:40 pm lil-Inferno Post #33

Just here for the pie

That is the pinnacle of gayness.

Oct 14 2008, 8:14 pm Lingie Post #34

I can understand fees for name changes, but for additional items.. I'd rather play Maple Story for that shit,

Lingie#3148 on Discord. Lingie, the Fox-Tailed on Steam.

Oct 14 2008, 8:53 pm Centreri Post #35

Relatively ancient and inactive

Eh. It doesn't seem so bad. I don't think they'll include items or gold for fees - they never went that low with WoW. You can play full SCII with one of the three, and DIII looks epic enough. And like it won't have a monthly fee.

None.

Oct 14 2008, 8:56 pm Kaias Post #36

Quote from Centreri
Eh. It doesn't seem so bad. I don't think they'll include items or gold for fees - they never went that low with WoW.
lol Gold farming is a multimillion dollar business, they could screw a lot of chinese over by doing that.

They should.

None.

Oct 14 2008, 9:01 pm Centreri Post #37

Relatively ancient and inactive

Stupid Blizzard leading to the rise of a new superpower. Sue Blizzard for treason!

None.

Oct 14 2008, 10:36 pm Corbo Post #38

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from name:isolatedpurity
I'm pretty sure that's what they're doing :P

fuck you all

Oct 14 2008, 10:44 pm Riney Post #39

Thigh high affectionado

Now you can have your very own Jah Ith Ber! Just send us your creditcard number!!!(Stupid amount of !'s)

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Oct 14 2008, 11:10 pm Corbo Post #40

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Blizzard Store: Access to Tristan for only $10 USD! Add to cart now!

fuck you all

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum