Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: SEN Mafia IX
SEN Mafia IX
Oct 13 2008, 6:40 pm
By: Moose
Pages: 1 2 333 >

Oct 13 2008, 6:40 pm Moose Post #1

We live in a society.

Enter SEN Mafia: a strategic guessing game of murder, mystery, and statistics! Players dwell within a town that has been infiltrated by the Mafia. Dead bodies start turning up and everyone becomes a suspect. If the Townspeople manage to lynch all the Mafia, they win. Otherwise, the Mafia kill everyone in the town and claim victory.

** NEWS **
The game has started! Please visit http://www.staredit.net/?p=mafia to check your role!

There will be an increased enforcement of SEN's rules this game. I have typically relaxed the rules to foster gameplay. The resulting spam and flaming tolerated has gone out of control. Participation in Mafia is not a right. Consider yourself warned.

You may also notuce that more players have been booted than usual. I have been less tolerant towards inactive players, as fair warning was given throughout the last game. I run the game for those who actually play it.

Dapperdan will be assisting me in running SEN Mafia IX.

** HOW IT WORKS **
Players receive roles at the start of the game. All roles are randomly generated. Roles fall into two catagories or alignments: some will be mafia, the majority will be townspeople. During the night, members of the mafia kill the townspeople. The Mafia will know who all the other Mafia are, but the townspeople have no additional information.

The game takes place over periods of Day and Night. (Game Time, not according to the real world.)
The game typically starts with day, but sometimes begins at night for balancing.

** NIGHT **
During the night, the town sleeps and the Mafia strikes. Discussion is prohibited during the night. Other townspeople may perform certain actions as part of their special roles, if applicable. Roles are all explained in detail below. A time-limit is imposed on the night phase. All townspersons neglecting their powers simply lose their chance to use them for that night.
Night ends with a posted report of the killings and other actions that may have taken place. The killing reports include "subtle" clues identifying the mafia -- as well as red herrings to throw you off. Clues may be taken from anywhere - anything and everything is fair game. All sorts of information is up for grabs, including usernames, signatures, avatars, profiles, the way the clue is written itself, etc. Generally, some or all clues are revealed at the end of the game.
(TIP: See previous games for clue explanations and typical clues. Try this and this for examples.)

-- ORDER OF NIGHT ACTIONS
(Not necessarily reflected in game posts)
1. Theoretical Physicist's power is WRITTEN IN here, if successful. (IE, where time is reversed) (supplementary reading)
2. "Temporary" lives (protection) for dodge added.
3. Radioactive role prevention.
4. Paralyzer, if using his power, takes effect.
5. Mafia hits.
6. Avenger's hit(s).
7. Radioactive's hit.
8. Theoretical Physicist's rewind is actually "used", if being used.
9. Mad Scientist role switches.
10. Day.

** DAY **
Democracy rules by day in form of a vote. All players (including mafia) gather for a "town meeting" to interpret clues and discuss amongst themselves who might be Mafia. Every player (including Mafia) may place a vote to select a player to be lynched and killed off. Players with special roles should be careful in persuading others to vote without revealing themselves.

-- VOTING REGULATIONS
- You must vote in the topic. Votes via PMs, battle.net, IMs, or any other medium are not acceptable and not counted.
- Votes must be placed for specific individuals only, no variable voting. (ie, no "guy who posts next" or "biggest bandwagon")
- Votes must be clear and free of ambiguity. When in doubt, state "I vote X". Use bold BBCode tags to help us out. Ambiguous statements, such as "I think X might be mafia" will not be counted.
- You may not vote for yourself, dead players, or people who are not playing.
- You may only place one vote on one person unless a double lynch or other special effect is affecting the vote. Certain roles may circumvent this restriction as part of their powers.
- You may formally abstain from the the vote to be factored in as active and be included in the total of votes placed.
- You may change your vote until day ends. Do not abuse this or we will forbid you from changing votes (or worse) if you make things difficult with vote changes.
- In case of a tie, the player VOTED FOR first will be killed.
- If the Mayor role is being used in the round, the first day's lynch is replaced by a general election of the Mayor.

After the town has decided by majority or time up, the victim(s) is/are lynched and their alignment and role revealed. If there are still surviving mafia, the next night begins.

** VICTORY CONDITIONS **
The day and night cycles repeat until one side is victorious.
The town wins when all mafia have been lynched.
The mafia wins when they outnumber the townspeople. (they would outvote and overpower them.)
In a case where 1 mafia and 1 townsperson remain, the mafia wins.
The game may also end when it is extremely improbably for the town to win. (IE, not-even 1 dodge per night and perfect lynching will suffice)

** MISCELLANEOUS **
A. Conversation via external means is allowed. You may encounter or engage in deception, conspiracies, and trickery. We take no responsiblity for broken trust and shattered friendships - outside communication takes place at your own risk. Some well-played impersonations can dramatically alter the outcome of the game.

B. Dead persons and non-players "MAY" talk, but your posts will be deleted if they violate any of the following:
1. It is reasonable to say that the post may alter the course of the game or influence players in any way.
2. The post is annoying or just not funny.
3. They violate SEN's rules.
4. I feel like it.
They may not influence the game by communicating with players still living.

C. One may not request screenshots or videos of another's role screen or someone's password via the thread, a PM, or any other method. The game is intended to be won via clue interpretation. Such exchanges will be punished severely and take place at your own risk.

-- SIGNING UP
If the game has not started, you may sign up by posting in this thread and I will add you to list. There is no maximum amount of players. More players means more special roles and (hopefully) more fun.

Take note of the following:
1. A non-default avatar is required to play. If you wish to play, make sure you have chosen a unique avatar.
2. If you only intend on playing if you receive a special role, don't sign up. Useless and inactive townies ruin balancing and ultimately, the game itself.
3. If you plan on being away from the game for more than 3 days at a time during the game, it is better that you do not play and sit the round out.
4. Please note you will be restricted from editing certain aspects of your profile once the game starts. This is because clues may be based off such things.
5. If the game has already started, you must wait until the next game. People always tell me to sign them up during the game, then go inactive or I forget. So, just wait for the next thread please.
6. Automatic Signup is available for future games. It is available only upon request. Automatic signups are cancelled whenever you are booted from the game for any reason.

If you have any questions, PM me.

** GAME POST LINKS **
Day 1
Night 1 / Day 2
Night 2 / Day 3
Night 3
Night 2 (alternate timeline start)
Day 3

** PARTICIPANTS **
A striked out name indicates the person is dead. When the game starts, the types and numbers of each special role present in the game will be posted.

1. Reindeer Breeder (P)*
2. FatalException (P)*
3. Phobos (P)*
4. Dark_Marine (P)*
5. Paravin. (P)*
6. cheeze (P)*
7. NerdyTerdy (P)*
8. EzDay281 (P)*
9. WoAHorde (P)*
10. Greo (P)*
11. lil-Inferno (P)*
12. FlyingHat (P)*
13. omginbd (P)*
14. EcHo (P)*
15. Darkling (P)*
16. DT_Battlekruser (P)*
17. Zycorax (P)*
18. deathman101 (P)*
19. Shocko (P)
20. generalpie (P)
21. HailFire (P)
22. TassadarZeratul (P)*
23. Kaias (P)
24. Oyen (P)*
25. Vi3t-X (P)*
26. Hitok1r1 (P)
27. DrunkenNoodle (P)
28. payne (P)
29. KrayZee (P)
30. ToA (P)
31. l)ark_ssj9kevin (P)
32. A_of-s_t (P)
33. Hug a Zergling (P)
34. Brontobyte (P)*
35. Epoch (P)
36. Your name here. :)
* = automatic sign up for future games.

16 of 29 TOWNSPERSON alive. (faction count, includes town-aligned special roles. IE, all non-mafia.)
6 of 6 MAFIA alive. (killing power: 6)
0 of 1 PARALYZER alive.
0 of 1 BROADCAST alive.
0 of 1 BELL RINGER alive.
0 of 1 ILLUMINATOR alive.
0 of 1 MAD SCIENTIST alive.
0 of 1 RADIOACTIVE alive.
0 of 1 AVENGER alive.
1 of 1 THEORETICAL PHYSICIST alive.

FORCED LEAVE
Player (games)
Hynk (P) (1)
frazz (P) (1)
Merrell (P) (1)
Corbo (P) (a lot.)
devilesk (P) (even more.)
You end up here by not voting, only voting once, neglecting your role and powers, or otherwise breaking the rules. All players who missed 2 or more votes last game were booted.

Sitting out: -

** ROLES **
We are using weird, uncommon, and untested roles this game. Get ready for some fun. ;D

TOWNSPERSON - The average, ordinary townsperson. Their limited powers include the power of persuasion, power of intellect (clue interpretation), and power of the vote.
DODGE! Townies (not special roles) in this game are granted the power of "dodge". To use it, they must PM me at night. They will dodge one hit placed on them that night and escape death. This power may only be used once per game.

MAFIA - They've invaded the town, and they each kill someone every night. They may or may not know the identity of other mafia, thus they may not all be on the same side.
Each mafia gets one kill.

BELL RINGER - May end day prematurely at any time by posting so in the topic. At least one third (rounded down) of the total votes for the day must have been cast. All votes placed after he rings the bell are discounted. The vote count is left as is and the current leader is lynched. He may only use this power once per game.

BROADCAST -- Broadcasts messages anonymously by PMing the host. He may make one communication per day, which appears with the day post. This communication will be limited to 200 characters and may not be circumvented via links. (IE, a link to a player's posts in the topic is OK, but linking to a .TXT with more clue interpretations is not.)
Broadcast has two night lives.

PARALYZER - Cancels P mafia hits for one night, where P is equal to the number of night when this power is used. He may only use this power once per game.

ILLUMINATOR - Allows discussion during the night (unlocks the topic.) He may only use this power twice per game by PMing me.

MAD SCIENTIST - During the night, he switches roles with a player of his choice. If he chooses a mafia, he is killed. That player becomes the new Mad Scientist, who may then reuse the power on anyone but the player who switched with him.

RADIOACTIVE - Has SEVEN (7) night lives.
He may spend one life per night, if he so chooses, to do one of the following:
-Kill another player.
-Inflict two players with radiation sickness. Their powers are cancelled for the night.
He may not spend his last life to use a power.
He also loses one life at the start of each day. (in addition to the lives spent on powers) This loss of a life cannot be prevented by any other roles. This means that he eventually must slip away. Tragic. :(

RICK ROLE - We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I. A full commitment's what I'm thinking of, you'll never get this from any other guy. We've know each other for so long. Your heart's been aching, but you're too shy to say it. Inside we both know whats been going on. We know the game and were gonna play it.

THE AVENGER - At the start of the game, the Avenger chooses FOUR (4) people that he would - bet you didn't see this coming - would kill for. Whenever one of these people dies (by lynch or by hit), the Avenger gains one hit on the following night for use on a target of his choice. If the person who was killed was in the mafia, he is not granted a hit.
The Avenger has two night lives. If he loses one, he may sacrifice his second night life for an additional hit to avenge himself, killing both himself and his target.

THEORETICAL PHYSICIST - Spends the first two day/night cycles constructing a time machine. After this, he may reverse time ONE FULL DAY/NIGHT CYCLE. Everything that happened in this time period is undone, except the time machine itself. Mind erasure is also not performed. This may only be used once per game.

I fill the role of "God". I decide tie votes and whatever cases will be necessary. Depending on how I have to crunch the numbers, I may be the collective target of the mafia for the first night. Divine intervention via lightning bolts may occur. If you are not monotheistic, you are now. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Credit: Dimma Davidoff at the Psychological Department of Moscow State University, for creating the game in the spring of 1986.
Hajjhowe & Triple 6 @ PWA message board.
Dapperdan, ToA, and anyone who ever ran or helped to run Mafia on SEN or Maplantis.
www.random.org for role randomization.

Post has been edited 49 time(s), last time on Nov 19 2008, 5:18 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

Oct 13 2008, 6:40 pm Moose Post #2

We live in a society.

** PREVIOUS GAMES **
Mafia 1 (for the lulz).
Mafia 2 (the one Devilesk shit on.)
Mafia 3 (epic!)
Mafia 4 (whoa, the townies didn't suck!)
Mafia 5 (abandoned due to server move)
Mafia 6 (Mindfuck)
Mafia 7 (Seven Shifters)
Mafia 8 (the one Devilesk & Corbo shit on.)

Oct 13 2008, 6:47 pm HailFire Post #3

Why are signups already closed? I want innn. :><: Guess that in the first post was just a typo, then. Cheers. :bleh:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 13 2008, 6:54 pm by HailFire.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 6:57 pm lil-Inferno Post #4

Just here for the pie

F*ck Yes. Also, those are some cool roles, but should've used my "Illuminator" one :(.

I HOPE I GET RICK ROLE!

Oct 13 2008, 6:58 pm Dapperdan Post #5

Take me off the players list... since I'm helping you run the game.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 7:15 pm Biophysicist Post #6

Add me please, and auto for future games.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 8:26 pm Symmetry Post #7

Dungeon Master

Oh baby, theoretical physicist. This'll be awesome :P

And if the bell ringer uses his ability, are people allowed to edit their votes (or will posts edited after that post simply be ignored)?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 13 2008, 11:15 pm by Reindeer Breeder.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Oct 13 2008, 8:31 pm Phobos Post #8

Are you sure about that?

Btw, I'm not Hobos anymore Moose :P Fix that please

this is signature

Oct 13 2008, 8:32 pm Kaias Post #9

Sign me up

None.

Oct 13 2008, 8:41 pm Oyen Post #10

Sign me up and auto me for future games! ^^

None.

Oct 13 2008, 8:41 pm Vi3t-X Post #11

I have been demanding an auto sign up since forever. :(

None.

Oct 13 2008, 8:51 pm Greo Post #12

Quote from Moose
Corbo (P) (a lot.)
devilesk (P) (even more.)
I lol'd.

Quote from Moose
BROADCAST -- Broadcasts messages anonymously by PMing the host. He may make one communication per day, which appears with the day post. This communication will be limited to 200 characters and may not be circumvented via links. (IE, a link to a player's posts in the topic is OK, but linking to a .TXT with more clue interpretations is not.)
The Voice has two night lives.
What's THE VOICE? I thought he was called BROADCAST.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 8:54 pm Oyen Post #13

Wow, Bell Ringer sounds cool! I hope I get one of these new roles! :D

None.

Oct 13 2008, 9:01 pm Kaias Post #14

Quote from Oyen
lol, if he gets in there fast enough he can lynch whomever he pleases.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 9:03 pm Symmetry Post #15

Dungeon Master

Quote from Kaias
Quote from Oyen
lol, if he gets in there fast enough he can lynch whomever he pleases.

Really though. If you're online when the day post is made, it's like:

"I VOTE DEVILESK AND RING MY BELL"

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Oct 13 2008, 9:15 pm Hitok1r1 Post #16

Sign me up please. :bleh:

None.

Oct 13 2008, 9:24 pm Moose Post #17

We live in a society.

Quote from Vi3t-X
I have been demanding an auto sign up since forever. :(
You get booted, you lose it.
Hopefully you do better this game.

Oct 13 2008, 9:59 pm DrunkenNoodle Post #18

Sign me up please.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 10:07 pm Dapperdan Post #19

There should be some type of restriction on bell ringer. Like, at least x votes have been cast. And x could be anywhere from like, 3 or 5, up to half the potential votes.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 10:35 pm Kaias Post #20

Harvey Dent: 50% Chance to kill anyone that uses an ability on him

None.

Options
Pages: 1 2 333 >
  Back to forum