Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Aug 10 2008, 7:36 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1116 >

Oct 13 2008, 2:44 pm Biophysicist Post #161

I dislike the auto-bombing. One of the things about this map that I liked is that those two units didn't have anti-ground attacks (and that the Science Vessel and stuff didn't have normal attacks, period), meaning that people had to use teamwork because each unit had it's own role: eg. the Science Vessel would be great against the Zerg but can't attack mechanical units with Irradiate, the Queen is a bomber but can't hit air units or Reavers, the Valk is a good anti-air fighter but can get pwned by even a single Marine because it can't fire back. Giving the Corsair and Valkyrie auto-bombing ruins part of that. [/rant]

Anyway, the extra minerals/kill has the same effect as a higher boost stat: Upgrading from (for example) 30 damage to 40 damage is faster with higher XP because you need fewer kills. So the only effects that normal heroes would have are the name-change and making me re-code a lot of crap.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 5:21 pm Madroc Post #162

You make a VERY good point, I think that the fact that the valks and corsairs don't have that much of a ground attack IS pretty cool.

So the hero characters are out then.

None.

Oct 13 2008, 6:19 pm Biophysicist Post #163

Cool. I'll leave my triggers as they are, then.

Also, I managed to accidentally screw up your selection system. I couldn't get it to work right, so I implemented a Place COP selection system, which I actually like more than the civ selection system. (It's a lot faster, and you won't have people accidentally walking into the wrong beacon.) However, I'm afraid it might confuse noobs. Pick which one you want, madroc.

Also, anyone following this thread, we've decided to change the engines to Refineries/Assimilators/Extracors. Just letting you guys know. (madroc, you should add that to the first post.)

None.

Oct 14 2008, 12:15 am Madroc Post #164

I agree that noobs would have a harder time using the COP system and I do think that the civilian selection system is better. :)

Because we changed the engines to Refiners/etc. we have an extra building available for each character. Does anyone, including you Tazz, have any ideas as to what the building could do?

None.

Oct 14 2008, 12:36 am Biophysicist Post #165

Finished my assignment! Check your inbox madroc.

I'd put the civ system back, but I'm afraid to mess with your triggers more than I already did. U can do plz?

None.

Oct 16 2008, 3:37 am Impeached Post #166

Place COP only works for the first 10 minutes of game, btw. Hardcoded Starcraft; cannot work around.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 16 2008, 8:41 pm by Impeached.

None.

Oct 16 2008, 4:31 am Madroc Post #167

Well, if you are still trying to figure out which character you are going to choose after 10 minutes, you might as well quit anyways :D

Moot point anyways :)

Sooo... anyone can has ideas about what extra building should be? :rolleyes:

None.

Oct 16 2008, 6:47 pm Biophysicist Post #168

Guys, question: I thought that we could make the workers carry power-ups to stop the guys from mining, but madroc says that he think players would think that looks stupid. What do you guys think? (I have a few other ideas if we decide that the power-ups would look stupid.)

None.

Oct 16 2008, 8:42 pm Impeached Post #169

What is the cause of the mining stop?

None.

Oct 16 2008, 8:45 pm Biophysicist Post #170

We're going to use Refineries/Assimilators/Extractors, and we need a way to prevent the players from mining gas.

None.

Oct 16 2008, 10:59 pm Impeached Post #171

Set resources of mine/vespene/guyser to 0?
Put a neutral assimilator/refinery/whatever there?

None.

Oct 16 2008, 11:54 pm Vi3t-X Post #172

Player commands at least (1) Extractor

Give all units to PLAYER.
Wait 3 seconds
Give all units to P12 (retains colour).
Wait 3 seconds
Preserve Trigger

USE WITH HYPERS FOR MAXIMUM EFFICENCY.

None.

Oct 17 2008, 12:55 am Biophysicist Post #173

I don't understand the point of that... Why would I give all the player's units to Neutral?

None.

Oct 19 2008, 7:23 am Madroc Post #174

Remember, Impeached, that workers can still mine a depleted Refinery.

Hey Tazz, I would pm you but your box is full. PLZ EMPTY :D

Quote from what I wanted to pm you
I've been looking at the ships with the vespene geysers, and... CRAP the fact that it is asymmetrical makes it SO UGLY. Adding on top of that the fact that I sort of like it that the zerg can build their things wherever they want (except for the darn geysers) in contrast to the other races, and the complications, geysers are looking more and more like a bad idea. I don't think we should include them at all.
What do you say?

I'll wait for you to pm me back before I do any more work on the map. I just fixed the selection system so that it's civilians.

Also please respond to my other pm.

I'm glad to see this map is really starting to get under way. It will be so awesome when it is finished!

None.

Oct 20 2008, 11:35 am Biophysicist Post #175

Sorry, I've emptied most of my inbox.

It turns out that if a Geyser is "off-center", you can still build on it. I'm pretty sure that I can make the ships look pretty darn close to symmetrical. I'll merge my moved Geysers into the next version of the map you send me. Don't remove the geysers yet!

(And on some ships like the Battlecruiser, wouldn't it make sense for there to be more than one engine? The BC looks to big for one engine to move it. If we add more than one engine to the BC, it'll solve our problems instantly, at least for that ship. We could probably do the same to some of the Zergs that are giving us grief.)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Oct 20 2008, 11:48 am by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Oct 20 2008, 3:41 pm Madroc Post #176

Oooh, that gives me an idea, remember in those fastest maps where you can mine one or two of the geysers but some of them are unminable for some reason? I wonder if we could duplicate that somehow? Does anyone have any idea how that worked?

Nice save on the geysers, that makes it a lot better!

As for the BC, basically the reason that there is only engine is because it would look kind of ugly with two. Battlecruiser ends are kind of rounded, not branched. Alternatively we could stack two geysers on top of eachother for them to build on, but that would just be kind of ugly IMO. Agree?

Edit oh yeah and I also do not have a clue what Vi3t was talking about. Care to explain Vi3t?
Edit2 Oh i get it now, that way every 3 seconds it boots the SCV out of the Refinery. Well after some testing I found that there are no side-effects to simply giving the refinery/assimilator/whatever to P12 after it is built except that it will appear blue on the minimap just like a geyser with no refinery/assimalator on it. So that is what we shall do.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Oct 21 2008, 12:14 am by madroc.

None.

Oct 20 2008, 3:54 pm Devourer Post #177

Hello

Quote from name: Vi3T-X
Player commands at least (1) Extractor

Give all units to PLAYER.
Wait 3 seconds
Give all units to P12 (retains colour).
Wait 3 seconds
Preserve Trigger

USE WITH HYPERS FOR MAXIMUM EFFICENCY.

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
I don't understand the point of that... Why would I give all the player's units to Neutral?

I also don't....and why 3 seconds??

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Oct 20 2008, 4:25 pm Biophysicist Post #178

Quote from Madroc
As for the BC, basically the reason that there is only engine is because it would look kind of ugly with two. Battlecruiser ends are kind of rounded, not branched. Alternatively we could stack two geysers on top of eachother for them to build on, but that would just be kind of ugly IMO. Agree?

Sure, I'll just leave it as one engine.

None.

Oct 22 2008, 3:21 pm Madroc Post #179

Does anyone have any ideas for what that new building that was freed up could do (supply depot
for terran, spore colony for zerg, and cybernetics core for protoss)? I'm all dried up.

None.

Oct 22 2008, 4:31 pm Impeached Post #180

How about nothing? :bleh:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 7 8 9 10 1116 >
  Back to forum