Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Aug 10 2008, 7:36 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 9 10 11 12 1316 >

Oct 26 2008, 11:48 am Biophysicist Post #201

I suppose we could move the vHP upgrade to the Science Facility.

I understand what you mean about the Spire, but I /don't/ want to use the morph ability just to trigger a special. We can use the ICC for that.

The player who casts Scanner Sweep owns the spell-unit.

We /could/ use a mineral field to display the player's energy: Start the field at one resource, and every <whatever> seconds add one resource to the field. That might confuse noobs tho. I might have better ideas later.

No more ideas for the other buildings yet.

The assignment's going well, but I don't have much time to work on it.

None.

Oct 26 2008, 7:01 pm Madroc Post #202

You're up early. Or going to bed late :P

I'm torn on the function of the greater spire, so your decision will push me in one direction or the other. The reason I liked the spire triggering the special by turning into a greater spire is this - wouldn't it be cool and satisfying to trigger the special? The other side is that it would be interesting to have the spire morph into something else. What function do you think the spire and greater spire could have? It could be good as the small armor turning into a large armor, although I would kind of rather the small armor be attainable from the very start, not after you build the lair. I could go either way tho.

The mineral patch is an interesting idea, but I think that the defiler method is a little better since that way you can always see how much you have without having to click on the mineral patch. The downside is that if noobs can't read display text things, then there is a chance that they would be confused as to why their supply is constantly going up. I still think that the defiler method is better tho.
An interesting idea would be having the vespene geysers that are already there do it :D but I don't think so..

As for the ICC, did you have any ideas? I thought it would be cool if there were some way that you could make a flying one would be created over your base. I'm drawing a blank though. Maybe create a defiler from the hatchery or something, I'm not sure.

If I think of anything more for the map I'll post it.

None.

Oct 26 2008, 8:21 pm Biophysicist Post #203

I prefer the Greater Spire having a more useful function than just activating the special. Besides, then if a player's Spire is at non-full HP, activating the special would bring it back to full HP, wouldn't it?

We could use the Leaderboard to display energy instead of the defiler thingy.

If we use a Defiler to create the ICC, there will be two side-effects: The ICC won't be available until the endgame (unless you give the player a Defiler Mound somewhere else on the map) and the Overlord won't be able to spawn Defilers. (The second side-effect might not be a bad thing tho...)

Just want to ask, why are we using the existing tech tree for the Zerg? It seems to be more trouble then it's worth, especially seeing as it'll only annoy the players.

None.

Oct 27 2008, 2:23 am Madroc Post #204

Well, with the tech tree for Zerg, originally I thought that it would be good to have a good amount of variety between the races, so if one race has that, then it would be good. That's not such a big deal, but, I seriously don't think that it would annoy the players one bit. They would automatically know that they have to build a lair to get to some of the more advanced buildings. Makes sense right?

As for the Greater Spire, I didn't remember that activating the special would bring it back to full HP, so I agree with you.

I'd rather not use the leaderboard to display energy. I think it would annoy the players to see every player's energy. I would rather save it for experience or something so that the players can have a little bit of competition.

About the defiler creating the ICC, there are no side effects to creating the defiler's mound, right? And we could create it when that player has a lair or hive, whichever, so we could make the ICC available whenever we want. So that really isn't a side effect, right? And as for the Overlord not being able to spawn defilers, that's a good point. Instead, we could just use Queens (the overlord can't drop air units!) , which would make more sense anyways. The side effect of that is that we'd have to give him a Queen's Nest, which would make it so that he can build a hive. That reminds me, though, do you think that it would be better if the player doesn't need to build a Spawning Pool to upgrade to Lair or a Queens Nest to upgrade to hive (that way you don't have to create that building if you don't want to)? I could go either way on that, what do you think?

If we don't want to make it so that a queen's nest is created, there are no symptoms to giving him a Spire, so we could use Scourges (if we don't want to use that for something for the feat), Mutalisks, or even Overlords.

None.

Oct 27 2008, 5:31 am Kaias Post #205

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
We /could/ use a mineral field to display the player's energy: Start the field at one resource, and every <whatever> seconds add one resource to the field. That might confuse noobs tho. I might have better ideas later.
You can't 'add' one resource to the field, you can only set, which means you'd have to hardcode every possible value (At least make a max). It wouldn't be fun or convenient.

None.

Oct 27 2008, 6:13 am Madroc Post #206

Quote from name:
You can't 'add' one resource to the field, you can only set, which means you'd have to hardcode every possible value (At least make a max). It wouldn't be fun or convenient.

If you did it in the most efficient way possible, with one set of triggers (I'm almost certain this is possible), it would only take about half an hour. But the defiler supply system is just about infinitely better so moot point.

None.

Oct 27 2008, 11:23 am Vi3t-X Post #207

Quote from Kaias
You could, however, mine resources from one field. And "theoretically", invert the values where an scv mining the minerals is adding to an energy increase. :omfg:

None.

Oct 28 2008, 4:38 am Madroc Post #208

Clever idea, Vi3t. I think we'll stick with the supply thing though.

OK, so just to get us started, let's just use the list that I posted earlier. It's just a really shabby rough completely changable draft of the terran building functions written on the little torn folded piece of paper in my back pocket with coffee stains on it that the dog ate the corner off of, so please if anything is in the slightest not what you think it should be, just post about it and we can discuss it. If you want to post a completely different starting list, go ahead. I kind of like it how it is though.

Command Center: Lift to create two scourges.
----Comsat Station: If this is connected to the command center, 3 scourges are created instead of two.
----Nuclear Silo: If this is connected to a command center, 4 scourges are created instead of two when the command center is lifted.
Supply Depot - Weapons - Required for attacking
Refinery - Engine - Required for movement
Barracks - Enable Feat; create marine to increase energy to full (costs 100 "zerg supplies" to trigger
Academy - Enable Light Speed.
Bunker - Cockpit
Turret - Gun; for every turret you have, every 6 seconds a marine appears underneath you to attack once.
Engineering Bay - Small Armor
Factory - Enable Skill - create a goliath? to trigger your crazy SFX skill.
----Machine Shop - This might cost about half as much as the factory and would simply act as an extra factory, just taking up less space and less minerals, so if you get 2 zerg supply for your special for every factory you have every 2 seconds, you would also get 2 zerg supply for each machine shop you have every 2 seconds.
Starport - Exp upgrade - for each of these you have, you get 5% for exp per kill for more buildings and things. Also I'm thinking that you could lift these if you wanted, so a goal of an experienced player of BASW might be to get a lot of starports.
----Control Tower - this would be exactly the same thing as a starport, except 1. it has to be connected to a starport to work, 2. it costs less minerals and 3. it takes a little less space.
Armory - I don't know, but hopefully something kind of offensive
Science Facility - vHP upgrade - only one of these works at a time and it has to be on the ground to work. (you'd have to tell them with a display message trigger somehow).
----Covert Ops - I don't know, perhaps something small that has nothing to do with the science facility at all, like you get an invincible lowish damage firebat (that you can upgrade) to do your bidding (maybe not that, maybe though, it's not a bad idea I think)
----Physics Lab - diddo, something like that. Also you could only have one of either of these working at a time since you only have one working science facility (we'd have to lift extra science facilities and give them to neutral until the current one dies or something).

So how's everything sound?

None.

Nov 1 2008, 10:38 pm Biophysicist Post #209

[/lurking]

Sorry I haven't been on recently. I managed to break one of the data MPQs somehow (I blame Firegraft) which SCMDraft DOES NOT LIKES. Anyway, now none of my maps will load, so I need you to re-send the most recent version of the map.

I would like to point out that we explicitly tell the players "THE ARMORY IS YOUR GUN", so we can leave it as the weapons. (And we should, because it looks like a gun and upgrades weapons.) I think we should change the Supply Depot to Small Armor and the Engineering Bay to upgrade armor only, btw.

None.

Nov 17 2008, 7:41 pm Biophysicist Post #210

Epicly bad news, madroc. I managed to get myself grounded again, for a long time. So I think it would be best if you went on without me. I'm sorry about this.

*facpalm*

None.

Nov 17 2008, 8:12 pm Pigy_G Post #211

Make it so if you die you can become a interceptor for the carrier :P

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:52 am Biophysicist Post #212

I don't think so, I think madroc wants dying to be hard but if you do, YOU'RE DEAD. (Am I right?) So I don't think coming back as an Intercepter is going to work...

None.

Nov 19 2008, 3:40 am Impeached Post #213

I knew you'd lost motivation for this, TZ, once you posted the BoB thread.

Motivation lost + ground = fail for map. :(

None.

Nov 19 2008, 7:39 am Madroc Post #214

Bumzorz. I kind of anticipated this too. Oh well, things come and go :P it was fun really. I may continue it, I really do enjoy making maps and this is my best idea ever i think.

Dude that's an awesome idea that you become an interceptor for the carrier, it's boring but you can stay in the game while your friends finish it up or you can leave if you want. That sparks some other ideas in my head.

Well, lesson learned that with two people on a team, there is double the possibility that it will phail! That's partly why I recently decided not to continue with engineering.. Sorry I don't know where that came from it's totally off topic I'm tired or something.

I expect this thread to fall to page 3 or something before I get the motivation to continue it again :P I'm pretty sure that this will be my next staredit project. IF I have a next staredit project. It is a massive waste of time.

Well good working with you Tazz, you had some great ideas! :P

Oh and if anyone has any more ideas, randomly, please post them!! I'll still be checking this site periodically.

None.

Nov 19 2008, 2:51 pm Biophysicist Post #215

I haven't lost interest, I got grounded. Now the only computer I have access to are the school computers, which don't have StarCraft. That's why I'm not working on it. The moment I get ungrounded I'll start working on the map again. If I were you I'd do the terrain and the stuff you wanted me to do, and if I'm not back by then do whatever.

I might be back in as early as two weeks, btw.

DON'T GIVE UP THE MAP!

None.

Nov 19 2008, 9:33 pm Madroc Post #216

Oh right! Really glad to hear that! I'll do the terrain before I take on the triggers then!

None.

Nov 19 2008, 9:34 pm Biophysicist Post #217

Good, you had me panicking there that BASW would go bye-bye. It's an epic idea, so I don't want that to happen..

None.

Nov 19 2008, 10:14 pm Madroc Post #218

Haha, I'm glad you like the idea as much as I do. Honestly I'm not sure that I would do it without you :(

None.

Nov 29 2008, 8:55 pm Madroc Post #219

Update: New Scout, Arbiter, Carrier, Corsair, Mutalisk, Queen, and Overlord cutout screenshots edited into first post.

None.

Dec 10 2008, 9:07 pm Biophysicist Post #220

Iz back! TassadarZeratul reporting for duty, Mr. madroc sir!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 9 10 11 12 1316 >
  Back to forum