Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Build-A-Ship Workshop RPG
Aug 10 2008, 7:36 am
By: Madroc
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 16 >

Jan 16 2009, 8:13 pm Biophysicist Post #261

Again, ridiculously overpowered lol. Imagine, 400 zerglings :) Here's another idea, whenever he upgrades flying attack, he gets one hive, and thus one more supply. Good idea huh! We should probably only have about 50 upgrades for each, maybe less.
That's... exactly what I was saying...

I think that hero overlords give 30 supply. That would be make the overlord ridiculously overpowered!
Yes, it does give 30 supply. I suppose that might be OP... Hm.

That.. would work! I suggest shuttle instead, it's prettier. OK I will change OP (when I get around to it).
There's already a Shuttle being used for the teleporter thing. I suggested an overlord to avoid glitches.

Player 8 is unallied to the wraith player only and has a single corsair. Then he goes on random suicide mission. OH SHIT that won't work, the wraith is invulnerable. Shit!!!! Well ... create marine to cloak/uncloak? :) I don't want to do that, the button is so much cooler. That suckkksss..
I sort of have a workaround worked out...

EDIT: Okay, here's the workaround I was thinking of: Whenever his Observer dies, deinvuln him, create a P8 Scourge nearby, and turn off shared vision from the wraith to P7. Spam orders telling the Scourge to Patrol to the Wraith (because Attack orders are glitchy when given by a trigger). If P8 commands exactly 0 scourge (which would only happen if the scourge attacked the wraith), then reenable shared vision. (Is there a way to cloak Scourges?)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 16 2009, 8:20 pm by TassadarZeratul.

None.

Jan 16 2009, 8:22 pm ForTheSwarm Post #262

Of course you guys didn't pay attention to my post. :(

You can cloak scourge by disable/enable/enabling a larva, then morphing the larva into scourge.

None.

Jan 16 2009, 8:26 pm Biophysicist Post #263

I'll look at that map soon.

You can cloak scourge by disable/enable/enabling a larva, then morphing the larva into scourge.
But then when the Scourge attacks the Wraith, the player would need to make another Scourge. DOES NOT WANT.

What about cloaking Arbiters? Is that possible?

None.

Jan 16 2009, 8:29 pm ForTheSwarm Post #264

Doubtfully. It's hardcoded.

You could have computers run AI scripts that would make them build scourge.

But then when the Scourge attacks the Wraith, the player would need to make another Scourge. DOES NOT WANT.

Actually, when 2 scourge attack the wraith, more scourge would be needed. They are created in pairs. :P

None.

Jan 16 2009, 9:52 pm Madroc Post #265

OK, I just remembered how we do it with no compromises. This is why we have player 8, just remembered. Bear with me, I've thought about it a lot and I am pretty sure this is the best and only way to do it.

OK, so player 7 must be allied with the wraith player (unlike the other ships.) (but the wraith player is still unallied to player 7.). Instead of the observer being owned by the wraith player, it is owned by player 8, who player 7 is unallied to, so the observer will still follow the wraith and player 7 will still attack the observer. Also the wraithp player is allied to player 8 so the wraith won't attack the observer but player 8 is unallied to the wraith. The wraith has like 50,000 life so it LOOKS invincible but it really is not. Now the problem with this is that when the player 7 guardian/scout/whatever is created in the wraith player's base, it won't attack the player because P8 is allied to the wraith player, so instead (unlike the other players) player 8 creates the scout instead.

Whew, got it?
Definitely big hassle but it works...

None.

Jan 16 2009, 11:38 pm Biophysicist Post #266

I'm confused... What would the point of that be?

None.

Jan 16 2009, 11:45 pm Madroc Post #267

Oh sorry, I didn't finish at all. Then player 8, who is unallied to player 7, would have a corsair somewhere random off in the map that would be constantly sent on random suicide runs. If he moves from his location, move him back; then you know that the wraith is uncloaked. If he doesn't move, that means that the wraith is cloaked. Got it? I saw a test map that essentially did just this.

Edit: SHIT this would totally work except randomly player 8 has an observer to detect the wraith!!! If the observer was any other unit it would completely fine. CRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I don't suppose there's any ways to make it so the observer doesn't detect..

CRAPPPP

well do you get it at least?

None.

Jan 16 2009, 11:49 pm Biophysicist Post #268

Optical Flare? :P :bleh: :bleh: :P

I don't see how that would help, we'd still have the Corsair moving to attack the buildings.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 16 2009, 11:51 pm by TassadarZeratul. Reason: :P

None.

Jan 16 2009, 11:54 pm Madroc Post #269

Quote from name:
Optical Flare? :P :bleh: :bleh: :P

I don't see how that would help, we'd still have the Corsair moving to attack the buildings.
lol seriously would optical flare do it?

And the corsair would only attack the flying ones right? So just make the flying buildings invincible and we're set :P
Kind of makes sense anyways since they're "not in use," especially if we're using the guardian system (are we?)

None.

Jan 16 2009, 11:56 pm Biophysicist Post #270

And the corsair would only attack the flying ones right? So just make the flying buildings invincible and we're set :P
idk. If so, that would solve it. If not, we're screwed. I'd test this but DM is waiting for me on his RPG, so can you test it instead?

None.

Jan 17 2009, 12:04 am Madroc Post #271

Quote from name:
idk. If so, that would solve it. If not, we're screwed. I'd test this but DM is waiting for me on his RPG, so can you test it instead?
Sure, I can't do it right now (hard to explain why) but I can get to it after dinner. If you feel like testing it before then, please do.

None.

Jan 17 2009, 4:19 am Madroc Post #272

Great news, I tested stuff and everything went great. The corsair doesn't go after buildings unless they are both lifted and vulnerable. And he only goes after the wraith if it's uncloaked and there is not observer there, even if it's all the way across the map and he doesn't even have vision there. If there is an observer there, he does go after it, but the observer does NOT detect anything if it's blind. And the corsair does not go after the CC if it's blind.

That means we need to automatically blind every observer for player 8 for use by the wraith player.
That also means we need to make all lifted terran buildings invincible (at least in the Wraith's ship but probably in all of them to be consistant).

Attached is the test map.

Edit: to respond to your previous post:
Quote from name:
Again, ridiculously overpowered lol. Imagine, 400 zerglings :) Here's another idea, whenever he upgrades flying attack, he gets one hive, and thus one more supply. Good idea huh! We should probably only have about 50 upgrades for each, maybe less.
That's... exactly what I was saying...
Ohhh.. ok let's do that I suppose. And we'll make sure the overlord isn't too powerful because of it during testing.

That.. would work! I suggest shuttle instead, it's prettier. OK I will change OP (when I get around to it).
There's already a Shuttle being used for the teleporter thing. I suggested an overlord to avoid glitches.
Yeah, ok.. you're right. Edit: Actually, screw it, let's make it triggered by a valkyrie. It'll be obvious enough that you only need a control tower to build it since you already have an armory. I think I went a little overboard on trying to make it intuitive anyways.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 17 2009, 7:14 pm by madroc.

None.

May 22 2009, 3:39 pm TiKels Post #273

Hows the map going guys? Have you heard of the ripoff pvp version that was made... like star-something, its OK but im sure urs will be uberpwnage.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

May 22 2009, 5:21 pm Madroc Post #274

I haven't heard of the rip-off arena version.. that kind of sucks... If you have the map could you post it? Cuz if it's a lot like what we want this to be, I think that would be really disheartening. I really doubt it will be the quality of our's, unless they ripped us off really bad.

Progress: In the last week or so, production has basically started walking from a halt since it's summer now. Tazz doesn't have access to starcraft, so he's pm'ing me how to do the triggers, and I'm doing the brute force. We get about two buildings a day done. So far we have exactly 1500 triggers and are about 1/3 ish?? done with them (maybe less..)

We're going full blast though, currently. In testing the buildings, it feels amazing. It's a huge project, and we're determined to make it happen.
Maybe we'll release a demo when it gets closer to being done.

None.

May 31 2009, 5:56 am Tempz Post #275

Very Promising only problem is the engine looks a bit tough to master, assuming there's a tutorial or something to speed up the learning curve time

None.

May 31 2009, 7:33 pm killer_sss Post #276

i haven't been watchin this thread but it sounds freakin nice but too much for me to read 14 pages so i only read first and last. I'm not sure how your armor works either. from the original post you said when observer die you take dmg and yet your giving each race of ship a different upgrade (forge, engineer bay, zerg ups) for armor i thought it said.

Also you mentioned something about when an observer dies one of your ship's buildings randomly takes 50 dmg. And there was an armor building that didn't kill any functions. dunno if this was mentioned but for like upgrading armor maybe you could upgrade the number of chances that the armor gets hit.

example: 2 switches originally first outcomes armor hit weapons, hit movement, hit armor, control system. after upgrading armor you randomize 3 switches and 1 more outcome becomes armor the rest rerandomize until a building si chosen. Each time you upgrade armor you could switch another outcome from reshuffle to armor. And also Maybe each time you upgrade armor your armor could get bigger or take less dmg as well.

None.

May 31 2009, 9:05 pm Biophysicist Post #277

The way it works is that whenever you upgrade your armor, your vHP gets more shields. Also, armor upgrades have now been moved to the firing systems (Armory/Cyber Core/Spire), with the old armor upgrades (Ebay/Forge/Echamber) now upgrading turret damage.

Also, look at the first post again. It has been signicantly updated recently.

None.

Jun 1 2009, 3:01 am Impeached Post #278

I believe the 'ripoff' you are talking about is StarQuest [attached].

I am not sure how this could be a ripoff of your uncompleted game.

Nonetheless, this is hardly similar to you guys' map. It is AoS-Style and uses none of your specific ideas, only borrowing one general theme: building upon terrain that represents the 'interior' of your ship to make things happen. It is a very fun, well done map.

Attachments:
StarQuest130L.scx
Hits: 6 Size: 281.21kb

None.

Jun 1 2009, 5:13 am killer_sss Post #279

Quote from Impeached

ripoff is when an idea/concept is stolen. It matters not wether or not the entire project is complete. The idea was complete and stolen. As for comparison with the map i agree with you i don't think it is enough to be a ripoff but thats my opinion.

None.

Jun 1 2009, 5:31 am Madroc Post #280

Quote from Impeached
I believe the 'ripoff' you are talking about is StarQuest [attached].

The idea has been out for almost a year (I posted the idea in the UMS ideas section in July 2008).

If ws-tank took the concept, I wouldn't call it a ripoff because the way I portrayed it, it was information for anyone to use. I would have appreciated it if ws-tank would have notified me he was using the idea (my fault, although I would have let him of course, but might have taken this map in a slightly different direction).

As is, ws-tank's map is discouraging because repeating someone else's work is simply a waste of time. I wouldn't say that that is EXACTLY what we are doing; but the only main differences I can see are that this map is in RPG form and that this map has ~5 times as many different building functions.

We're already ~50% done with the map. I'll speak to TassadarZeratul about this.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 12 13 14 15 16 >
  Back to forum