Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Please note:
Please note:
May 12 2008, 8:50 pm
By: AntiSleep
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6

May 14 2008, 7:15 am The Starport Post #101

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Quote from Heimdal
If no one notices moderation then they're doing a good job. That is, unless they're just letting everything run haywire.

I would have to disagree.. the disciplinary aspect of moderation should be public so as to establish a precedent for stopping wrongdoing and making it clear what is okay and what isn't. That's half the problem since all the Staff were fired.
I agree. There shouldn't be any reason to be afraid or secretive here. We're not playing some dumb mafia game.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 14 2008, 7:37 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

May 14 2008, 1:34 pm A_of-s_t Post #102

aka idmontie

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Quote from Heimdal
If no one notices moderation then they're doing a good job. That is, unless they're just letting everything run haywire.

I would have to disagree.. the disciplinary aspect of moderation should be public so as to establish a precedent for stopping wrongdoing and making it clear what is okay and what isn't. That's half the problem since all the Staff were fired.
I agree. There shouldn't be any reason to be afraid or secretive here. We're not playing some dumb mafia game.
You are obviously mafia. I vote Tuxlar.

Anyway, I think Minimoose is going to fix the crappy DLDB -- so, yay!

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

May 14 2008, 6:27 pm poiuy_qwert Post #103

PyMS and ProTRG developer

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Please offer me suggestions on how I can help you guys out... instead of silently building resentment. The modding forum setup can be changed. The moderators there can be changed. The prominence of modding info and events can be changed. (though, this iniative of which you speak.... I can't force people, particularily ones that have left, to play your mods.) The fact that I probably won't give you what you don't ask for will not change.

Can you please make the little "new post" dot things be a "Go to first unread post" instead of "Go to last post", its REALLY annoying that its not already like that.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 14 2008, 6:49 pm by poiuy_qwert.

May 14 2008, 8:09 pm Moose Post #104

We live in a society.

Quote from name:Urmom(U)
I think Maplantis's core values are what set it apart from SEN. At Maplantis
Then people go from Maplantis to SEN and expect a continuation of Maplantis, which doesn't work. SEN is not Maplantis. You don't switch from orange juice to apple juice and expect the same taste.

Quote from name:Yoshi
Quote from name:Oo.Twitch.oO
1.Ban everyone that was banned on maplantis
1. No, they get a fair chance here under my/moose/ip's rule. Report objectionable content when you see it, and the same fate awaits them as did on maplantis.
He speaks the truth. Many, if not most of them have been banned already. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of people banned from Maplantis handy.

Quote from Laser Dude
Overall, in the coding scene, I think the biggest thing isn't neccessarily lots of new things coming, but the idea that the admin was dedicated, and that our features were on the way. Whenever we talked to Yoshi, he would give us updates, and he would listen to our feedback to make the site better.
Yeah, unfortunately we are still stuck in a land of incomplete features. Mostly everything still needs either a little bit of work, or a lot of work.

Quote from Laser Dude
When IP does his coding, he seems to try to come up with some system in his head, that he thinks will work well. Unfortunately, it usually doesn't work well for the people using the system. What I'd like to see happening is the admins talking to the members, making posts, asking for ideas on how to do things, etc. This includes policies. On Maplantis the idea of minerals was discussed, and abandonned because people didn't want it. Here, it was discussed, people didn't want it, and IP made it anyways. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about.
Me and IP both agreed to have them. My only problem is that we both had different ideas about how to implement it... and it wasn't done my way. This also applies to many other areas. I'm not saying that IP should be a robot and code everything the way I say it should be done, that wouldn't be fair to him... but I just feel that a lot of formulas and other sections that he codes are superfluous or overcomplicated. But, ultimately, he is entitled to do this.

Quote from Laser Dude
Also, it's not simply a matter of banning people who are stupid and or idiots. It's a matter of having a general attitude towards those people. Wheras on Maplantis, if someone acted stupid, members would talk to him about it, ask him to correct his spelling, etc. Also, it was generally considered unacceptable to make off-topic posts. Again, if there was a member-to-member dispute, it would either be kept in PMs, or an admin would come in and clear up the topic for the poor OP.
IMO, this is again a size issue and a time factor. I do not wish to monitor every word posted. This is why I say that posts should be reported and I should be called in for backup if need-be.

Quote from Laser Dude
Also, look at the general seriousness of the site. When newbies arrive, they see a bunch of idiots goofing off, admins doing things "for teh lulz", off-topic posts, and they learn from it, and act the same. Maplantis taught new users to be mature, and hard workers. Age doesn't matter, as long as one is capable of acting mature.
Okay, but Maplantis started off mature and enforced that. There is a matter of changing a long-upheld standard here. How do I go about uprooting such firmly implanted traditions?

Quote from Laser Dude
Also, you get a general idea of what this site is about just by looking at how easy it is to access features. Functions that are related to Starcraft editing get 1/5th of the main menu bar. That's for a site dedicated to starcraft editing!? Maplantis' main menu bar 4/6 of the functions were directly Starcraft-editing related. The forum has equally as much weight on Maplantis as the Wiki or Maps, wheras on SEN someone looking for a map has far more work to do.
Notice that there's also about 15 more links that SEN has to fit into the menus. Sure, we could throw the DLDB, Wiki, etc. into their own buttons... but then how do we fit everything up there?

Quote from Laser Dude
Simplicity is another big thing. I liked Maplantis' design (not it's skin, its layout), because it's very simple, very sleek, and very professional. Someone looking for maps has a very easy one-click link, followed by a very simple, easy-to-use menu, where he can select maps based on genre, search maps, submit maps, all in a very simple menu. With SEN, one has to click several links to get to a "Database" which is really just all in one, thus removing extreme amounts of organization or simplicity. You're then presented with a complicated, messy, system for sorting maps. I've tried to use it several times, but it's just almost impossible to use easily.

Here's another big jump. Imagine SEN, and imagine Maplantis. Now take the forum away. Maplantis is still a very useful and active site, because it has its features weighted in priority correctly. SEN, on the other hand, would become a barren wasteland, an empty site. People would simply stop using it, and it would quickly die.
Agreed.

Quote from Doodan
My chief gripe at the moment is about the tendency for the admins (Moose, in particular) to overreact when they feel things have slipped out of control. I agree that the law needs to be laid down, but it often seems that the wrong people end up paying for it. Gmods, such as myself and Syphon, were given their positions because our judgment was sufficiently trusted. But in the case of Jordan, for instance, Syphon made a remark against the person who was basically the site's punching bag. Moose himself allowed Jordan to overstay his welcome. But then, Heranic questioned the morality of Syphon's handling in that topic (which was right of Heranic to do), I think the proper thing to do would have been to PM Syphon about his conduct and tell him not to do it again, or make a post in the staff forum saying that we all need to tighten things up a bit. Firing a loyal member who was ultimately out for the betterment of the site was a bad call, in my opinion. You set the example for our treatment of Jordan by "keeping him around for amusement."
It wasn't just about JordanN. This wasn't the first time Syphon used his position and status to belittle others and flame. I had received many complaints about his attitude from verious users. Originally, I faulted the rules along with him for allowing moderators to be above the rules. I corrected that and warned him via MSN at that point, and decided not to change. Syphon was warned via MSN. He decided not to change... and still hasn't.

Quote from Doodan
You guys are giving us a great resource for free. I'm not forgetting that. But as part of the community, I feel compelled to speak my mind once in awhile. I just think you should remind yourself who your allies are and not sabotage your own efforts for a stable, productive community if that's what you're really after.
Thank you, sir.

Quote from Excalibur
This block here is a perfect example of why after the majority was begging for latova, we were so sad to be handed v5. No offense IP but i believe the saying 'If it isnt broke, dont fix it.' applied here.
Last I checked, v5 production was started before Latova existed. See above about coming to SEN but expecting Maplantis, when SEN is not Maplantis.
The saying doesn't apply to novelty and innovation. StarCraft "ain't broke", why fix it by making mods or maps?

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on May 14 2008, 8:15 pm by Mini Moose 2707.

May 14 2008, 8:23 pm mikelat Post #105

Quote from Excalibur
This block here is a perfect example of why after the majority was begging for latova, we were so sad to be handed v5. No offense IP but i believe the saying 'If it isnt broke, dont fix it.' applied here.
Last I checked, v5 production was started before Latova existed. See above about coming to SEN but expecting Maplantis, when SEN is not Maplantis.
The saying doesn't apply to novelty and innovation. StarCraft "ain't broke", why fix it by making mods or maps?[/quote]
Latova started development with very early v5 code that I wrote. So technically v5 started a few months before latova did, but Latova has had way more development/testing than SEN has had.

It's kind of fun to see some of the v5 stuff, I remember making a few minor things that are still in the v5 that slightly remind you of Latova. However the code process has drastically changed, the way v5 and Latova work are very different. IP went the way of PHP5 while I went the way of PHP4 backwards compatibility.

None.

May 15 2008, 12:27 am Money Post #106

Wait, isn't v5 based on Invision Power Board? Or I am completely lost?

None.

May 15 2008, 1:01 am MrrLL Post #107

IIRC v5 was made completely from scratch.

None.

May 15 2008, 1:25 am ClansAreForGays Post #108

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from AntiSleep
This post has been a long time coming, the pervasive immaturity of the active user base, triviality of the topics of conversation, and the dearth of novel content has finally convinced me to let go.

This community and that component of Maplantis that came here are but a shadow of the past, coasting on the innovation and creativity of a dynamic long dead.

It is time for me to go, and I suspect those exceptions to the above rules will soon leave as well. I have no reservations about leaving them here because they know how to contact me, and someone invariably does anytime something interesting happens.

Goodbye.

This sucks. I could honestly say you were the smartest person here. I don't even know what kept you here so long. Your argument for or against something was always original and insightful. Unfortunately the returning counter argument was often lacking and repetitive. I could see you getting really frustrated when in the middle of a progressive debate, with say Rantent or Cheezus, Someone like Twitch hopes in and says "You gaiz, I think god is purpled." And then everyone jumps in to question the validity of this assigned color, including your 'opponent'.

The endless debates we've had here became unfair as soon as you picked a side because then it was like getting Shaq to stand under your rim and goal tend anything that the other side could muster. So I guess it could be seen as a good thing with you gone.

I wish we could pull another GF stunt here, but it probably won't happen. I was totally going to go on another rant on how Dapperdan should be NOT be moderating ANYTHING, but I noticed he finally lost what he never deserved, and that it would be like blaming Katrina on Mardi Gras.

I still moderate 4 of the off-topic forums. It just doesn't show at the top of the forum. Good to know that I was moderating and you didn't even notice though. And it wasn't because there was a clear lack in moderation in those forums going on either. I've just been doing my job well and you have nothing to complain about.
What?! How the fuck do you think I knew you were moderating in the first place. It just shows that it's such a terrible idea for you to be a mod that the site goes out of it's way to hide it.

May 15 2008, 2:58 am Dapperdan Post #109

Stop trolling for christ's sake. You know what you say is BS.

None.

May 15 2008, 3:03 am DT_Battlekruser Post #110

It's kind of fun to see some of the v5 stuff, I remember making a few minor things that are still in the v5 that slightly remind you of Latova. However the code process has drastically changed, the way v5 and Latova work are very different. IP went the way of PHP5 while I went the way of PHP4 backwards compatibility.

I think the big reason for being pro-Latova is not even so much feature-oriented, but simply because Latova is being regularly maintained ;)

None.

May 15 2008, 3:09 am Demented Shaman Post #111

Quote from Dapperdan
Quote from AntiSleep
This post has been a long time coming, the pervasive immaturity of the active user base, triviality of the topics of conversation, and the dearth of novel content has finally convinced me to let go.

This community and that component of Maplantis that came here are but a shadow of the past, coasting on the innovation and creativity of a dynamic long dead.

It is time for me to go, and I suspect those exceptions to the above rules will soon leave as well. I have no reservations about leaving them here because they know how to contact me, and someone invariably does anytime something interesting happens.

Goodbye.

This sucks. I could honestly say you were the smartest person here. I don't even know what kept you here so long. Your argument for or against something was always original and insightful. Unfortunately the returning counter argument was often lacking and repetitive. I could see you getting really frustrated when in the middle of a progressive debate, with say Rantent or Cheezus, Someone like Twitch hopes in and says "You gaiz, I think god is purpled." And then everyone jumps in to question the validity of this assigned color, including your 'opponent'.

The endless debates we've had here became unfair as soon as you picked a side because then it was like getting Shaq to stand under your rim and goal tend anything that the other side could muster. So I guess it could be seen as a good thing with you gone.

I wish we could pull another GF stunt here, but it probably won't happen. I was totally going to go on another rant on how Dapperdan should be NOT be moderating ANYTHING, but I noticed he finally lost what he never deserved, and that it would be like blaming Katrina on Mardi Gras.

I still moderate 4 of the off-topic forums. It just doesn't show at the top of the forum. Good to know that I was moderating and you didn't even notice though. And it wasn't because there was a clear lack in moderation in those forums going on either. I've just been doing my job well and you have nothing to complain about.
What?! How the fuck do you think I knew you were moderating in the first place. It just shows that it's such a terrible idea for you to be a mod that the site goes out of it's way to hide it.
Don't be an idiot. If you've paid any attention at all to the forums and the topics you'd easily know he was a mod. Don't blame others for your own ignorance. SEN hasn't hid the fact that he's a mod at all.

None.

May 15 2008, 4:38 am Moose Post #112

We live in a society.

The cache listing moderators for individual forums at the top of the forum is not working correctly and bears no correlation to the character of Dapperdan (or any moderator). There is no need to disparage him.

EDIT: I have fixed the cache issue. Moderators of individual forums will be properly listed at the top of their respective forums.

Quote from Money
Wait, isn't v5 based on Invision Power Board? Or I am completely lost?
The idea of v5 was to get away from IPB and code everything ourselves. v4 used IPB.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 15 2008, 5:33 am by Mini Moose 2707.

May 19 2008, 5:38 am Vrael Post #113

In AntiSleep's original post, he failed to mention the great resource that SEN provides to mapmakers... lol
Epic Fail. 700-some topics in UMS Mapmaking Assistance right now...

I'm sure this has been stated somewhere in the 6 pages of this topic, and I didn't read all 6, but I felt it worthy of reiterating.

None.

May 24 2008, 1:35 pm Sael Post #114

Why wasn't this topic written a few years ago? It would have been every bit as relevant then as it is now.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6
  Back to forum