Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Please note:
Please note:
May 12 2008, 8:50 pm
By: AntiSleep
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >

May 13 2008, 1:47 am Excalibur Post #41

The sword and the faith

Actually Corbo, the reason ive been generally inactive, both on SEN, and Mod Nights, was only ever due to 2 reasons:
Router that didnt support port fowarding. (Fixed)
My main computer is offline. Which is still the case. Around the time maplantis died, so did my motherboard, and ive been trying to amass the funds to buy a new one, and hopefully save my HDD with all my modding tools and recources on it.

The current computers i have access to can barely run SC let alone keep up online. Yes, theyre that old. And im not the least bit happy about my inability to attend mod nights or produce mods because of this.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

May 13 2008, 1:48 am Demented Shaman Post #42

Quote from A_of-s_t
Quote from name:devilesk
At least in the mod community, we accept new comers and hope the learn on their own. With the mapping community, everyone wants to be spoon fed every piece of information.
It's important that I say that I'm not completely serious with what I'm saying. I'm just drawing from my own personal experience.

I've been to three mod nights
At the first mod night I thought that free market was fun but IP OWNED ME too early before I could actually enjoy it
At the second mod night once again I thought AA was fun but Doodle BACKSTABBED ME in a team game before I could enjoy it
At the third mod night I was excited about what I thought would be a game against an insane computer that required several people just to beat one but it was really just a lame COMPSTOMP
Those all sound like basic B.net events... I don't see why you're upset.
That's the point.

None.

May 13 2008, 1:48 am Dapperdan Post #43

Quote from Praetor
Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from JordanN
Keep dreaming douchebag.
Thus ends the age of JordanN.
Banned.
Are you srs? Good moderating. And thank-you SEN staff for giving me a second chance. Hopefully you think that I have been less of a dick since I wrote that apology thread a while back.

Obviously the site is progressing rapidly, and for the future I have a suggestion, consider it or not, I don't know if it would be better or worse, but my personal opinion is that Tech/games should be merged. When ever I come to SEN, I log it, and open in tabs StarEdit Network, Map Showcase, null, tech, and games, and I think it would just be easier on everyone if those 2 were just 1 thing. I have no idea on how difficult running/creating a forum is, but it doesn't seem that this idea would be THAT hard, would it? plz discuss, or just flame it it is just my personal opinion.

It's unnecessary to do that. It's fine the way it is. This isn't what the topic is about. Make your own if you want to discuss it so bad.

None.

May 13 2008, 1:49 am Corbo Post #44

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Quote from A_of-s_t
Well speaking as a new person who went to a few modnights I can say that you guys suck and aren't fun at all. All you guys do is instantly own noobs, backstab, and comp stomp.

In short, I don't think the issue is that SEN isn't doing enough for the modding community. The problem lies within each individual of the modding community. You guys have serious personality flaws which hurt the community.

The mods themselves are fun. It's just the community is terrible at advertising and drawing in new people or making them fun to play with others.
At least in the mod community, we accept new comers and hope the learn on their own. With the mapping community, everyone wants to be spoon fed every piece of information.
It's important that I say that I'm not completely serious with what I'm saying. I'm just drawing from my own personal experience.

At the first mod night I thought that free market was fun but IP OWNED ME too early before I could actually enjoy it
At the second mod night once again I thought AA was fun but Doodle BACKSTABBED ME in a team game before I could enjoy it
At the third mod night I was excited about what I thought would be a game against an insane computer that required several people just to beat one but it was really just a lame COMPSTOMP

1. I take no responsability for IP, he SERIOUSLY PWNS ANYONE
2. Yeah, we usually a. BS people or b. ally everyone so we always win :P not my fault that doodle's too smart for you.
3. you probably had too many players, a baja insane AI is to be played by three people the most if you have 3 people it can easily become a comp stomp if you have 4 people then you're just stupid for playing it like that. I take no responsability for your ignorance :P

fuck you all

May 13 2008, 1:50 am Moose Post #45

We live in a society.

Quote from Praetor
Obviously the site is progressing rapidly, and for the future I have a suggestion, consider it or not
The problem is the "rapid progress" has been slowed. IP appears to have disappeared on us once again (last active May 1). I've been pretty busy and not able to help much. I'll be able to put in more time soon and I'm trying to get Yoshi in to help out a bit more. We'll just have to wait and see.

May 13 2008, 1:52 am Demented Shaman Post #46

Quote from Corbo
Quote from A_of-s_t
Well speaking as a new person who went to a few modnights I can say that you guys suck and aren't fun at all. All you guys do is instantly own noobs, backstab, and comp stomp.

In short, I don't think the issue is that SEN isn't doing enough for the modding community. The problem lies within each individual of the modding community. You guys have serious personality flaws which hurt the community.

The mods themselves are fun. It's just the community is terrible at advertising and drawing in new people or making them fun to play with others.

1. I take no responsability for IP, he SERIOUSLY PWNS ANYONE
2. Yeah, we usually a. BS people or b. ally everyone so we always win :P not my fault that doodle's too smart for you.
3. you probably had too many players, a baja insane AI is to be played by three people the most if you have 3 people it can easily become a comp stomp if you have 4 people then you're just stupid for playing it like that. I take no responsability for your ignorance :P
NO ITS UR FAULT U GUYS SHOULD BE MORE ACCOMODATING TO NEWBS. :flamer:

None.

May 13 2008, 1:53 am Corbo Post #47

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

FINE!
WANNA BE FRENDS NAO? KTHXBAI

fuck you all

May 13 2008, 1:53 am Excalibur Post #48

The sword and the faith

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Quote from Praetor
Obviously the site is progressing rapidly, and for the future I have a suggestion, consider it or not
The problem is the "rapid progress" has been slowed. IP appears to have disappeared on us once again (last active May 1). I've been pretty busy and not able to help much. I'll be able to put in more time soon and I'm trying to get Yoshi in to help out a bit more. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think anyone that pays attention to the site understands this, and im sorry that this happens to fall on you Moose. I know what its like to be stuck with the work in a group situation.

Which is why in the mean time my suggestion is still this:
Quote from Excalibur
Anything id like to see here at SEN i know isnt finished but is going to be worked on, im willing to give it time, but while i wait id appreciate the general rubbish being tossed out to the curb where they belong.

Id also like to see moderators put into power in areas where as far as i can see dont have the proper staff. (Melee, tech, (Congrats to Deathawk.) ect.)

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

May 13 2008, 1:54 am Praetor Post #49

layin' in the cut

True, but just imagine a short while ago, SEN wasn't even around. More recently then that, there wasn't a wiki or a DB, many of the under-the-hood features, and many other things. You guys should really give yourselves more credit.

this too shall pass

May 13 2008, 1:55 am ~:Deathawk:~ Post #50

One thing I noticed on Maplantis is that there was less hostillity between people. When I look at SEN now, I see a lot of aggression and hostillity towards each other.
I'm not quite sure how to solve a problem such as this, but a good step would be getting rid of people who cause the problem, which has just been done with JordanN. I know we obviously don't want to get rid of a good portion of our membership and activity, so hopefully once SC2 comes around, and we hopefully get an influx of activity, members who generate problems can be dealt with without having to deal with lack of activity? I don't know. I always thought people like JordanN were kept around because they were active members of the community, but perhaps the administration can shed light on me if there was other reasons.
Just my $.02.

None.

May 13 2008, 1:56 am Excalibur Post #51

The sword and the faith

Well Hawk, i know im willing to sacrifice activity if it gets rid of people whos only activity is going to be spam and hostility anyway. Ya know?

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

May 13 2008, 1:57 am Praetor Post #52

layin' in the cut

Quote from ~:Deathawk:~
One thing I noticed on Maplantis is that there was less hostillity between people. When I look at SEN now, I see a lot of aggression and hostillity towards each other.
I'm not quite sure how to solve a problem such as this, but a good step would be getting rid of people who cause the problem, which has just been done with JordanN. I know we obviously don't want to get rid of a good portion of our membership and activity, so hopefully once SC2 comes around, and we hopefully get an influx of activity, members who generate problems can be dealt with without having to deal with lack of activity? I don't know. I always thought people like JordanN were kept around because they were active members of the community, but perhaps the administration can shed light on me if there was other reasons.
Just my $.02.

I believe (could be mistaken) JordanN was allowed back because he was being less of a shit, but then he started up again.

It's unnecessary to do that. It's fine the way it is. This isn't what the topic is about. Make your own if you want to discuss it so bad.
This thread has changed, mutated, and expanded exponentially and now it is generally about the state of things at SEN.

this too shall pass

May 13 2008, 1:59 am Moose Post #53

We live in a society.

I allowed JordanN to survive because I found him entertaining. Unfortunately, he thought this meant I loved him and would let him get away with shit... and he pushed it too far beyond my sense of humor.

May 13 2008, 2:23 am DT_Battlekruser Post #54

Maplantis' other forums were mature

*cough* mafia..

People just seem to skip it or something right when it was getting really big.

HEY! Let me try to actually make my Starcraft connect to Battle.net :P

Maybe ban devilesk too?

Thirty-eighth or so time is not a charm :| .

I'm not quite sure how to solve a problem such as this, but a good step would be getting rid of people who cause the problem, which has just been done with JordanN. I know we obviously don't want to get rid of a good portion of our membership and activity, so hopefully once SC2 comes around, and we hopefully get an influx of activity, members who generate problems can be dealt with without having to deal with lack of activity?

Lack of membership has not been, for over 4 years, the problem here. I agree with this.

Anyhow, for my 2 cents, I just think there has been a general abandonment of standard law and order. I'm sure the powers that be will go after me on this for personal bias, but I think that SEN has steeply declined since Moose went ballistic and fired the entire Staff way-back-when. I don't even know where half the good Staff went (all right, some of the best like Beer and Clokr are retired), but, honestly, the administrative machine of SEN collapsed when Moose removed all the parts.

Sadly, to a large extent, I don't think it will ever be possible to rebuild a Staff of that caliber, and perhaps some of the retirements were inevitable anyway. v5 is lacking a lot of the bureaucratic processes, including meaningful ways of punishing people (nobody cares about minerals or post count on v5 and there isn't even a warn log). During my long tenure as senior Staff there were always graduated steps to take in punishing people, from warning to fining to suspension, and finally to IP-bans. These days there really is no meaningful punishment between a verbal reprimand and a ban, and so people skate freely.

Also, since the Staff holocaust, SEN has been ruled by whim and decree. I don't want to be overcritical, but I think it is unprofessional to try to run a website of this size by choosing to ban members "when they exceed an admin's sense of humor". Offenses are offenses, and they should be punished even-handedly, and those punishments should be enforced. Members like Kellimus and devilesk seem unbannable; every single time they are banned or otherwise punished, they come back two weeks late untarnished, and it's setting an example for other people (like JordanN).

Finally, of course, there's been a lack of coding going on. I get the sense it's more a product of IP's OCD about other people messing with code than a lack of time or talent among other administrators. My programming skills have vastly increased since I applied myself to a formal OO-progging class and I would be happy to offer to help, but I don't feel that is the problem.

As much as it was hated, I say bring back the bureaucracy. Large memberbases must be run by impartial justice, and that means numbers to tweak and fixed, fair punishments.

(end rant)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 13 2008, 2:30 am by DT_Battlekruser.

None.

May 13 2008, 2:28 am Centreri Post #55

Relatively ancient and inactive

That post made a lot of sense. I would also like to add that I blame some of this on the coming of SCII, and not just on the administration or membership or whoever we're blaming - fewer maps/mods are being made, knowing they will in all likelyhood be abandoned in roughly (hopefully..) six months.

None.

May 13 2008, 2:31 am Demented Shaman Post #56

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
Maplantis' other forums were mature

*cough* mafia..

People just seem to skip it or something right when it was getting really big.

HEY! Let me try to actually make my Starcraft connect to Battle.net net :P

Maybe ban devilesk too?

Thirty-eighth or so time is not a charm :| .

I'm not quite sure how to solve a problem such as this, but a good step would be getting rid of people who cause the problem, which has just been done with JordanN. I know we obviously don't want to get rid of a good portion of our membership and activity, so hopefully once SC2 comes around, and we hopefully get an influx of activity, members who generate problems can be dealt with without having to deal with lack of activity?

Lack of membership has not been, for over 4 years, the problem here. I agree with this.

Anyhow, for my 2 cents, I just think there has been a general abandonment of standard law and order. I'm sure the powers that be will go after me on this for personal bias, but I think that SEN has steeply declined since Moose went ballistic and fired the entire Staff way-back-when. I don't even know where half the good Staff went (all right, some of the best like Beer and Clokr are retired), but, honestly, the administrative machine of SEN collapsed when Moose removed all the parts.

Sadly, to a large extent, I don't think it will ever be possible to rebuild a Staff of that caliber, and perhaps some of the retirements were inevitable anyway. v5 is lacking a lot of the bureaucratic processes, including meaningful ways of punishing people (nobody cares about minerals or post count on v5 and there isn't even a warn log). During my long tenure as senior Staff there were always graduated steps to take in punishing people, from warning to fining to suspension, and finally to IP-bans. These days there really is no meaningful punishment between a verbal reprimand and a ban, and so people skate freely.

Also, since the Staff holocaust, SEN has been ruled by whim and decree. I don't want to be overcritical, but I think it is unprofessional to try to run a website of this size by choosing to ban members "when they exceed an admin's sense of humor". Offenses are offenses, and they should be punished even-handedly, and those punishments should be enforced. Members like Kellimus and devilesk seem unbannable; every single time they are banned or otherwise punished, they come back two weeks late untarnished, and it's setting an example for other people (like JordanN).

Finally, of course, there's been a lack of coding going on. I get the sense it's more a product of IP's OCD about other people messing with code than a lack of time or talent among other administrators. My programming skills have vastly increased since I applied myself to a formal OO-progging class and I would be happy to offer to help, but I don't feel that is the problem.

As much as it was hated, I say bring back the bureaucracy. Large memberbases must be run by impartial justice, and that means numbers to tweak and fixed, fair punishments.

(end rant)
I'm not unbannable, but why would you want to ban me?

I agree with the warn logs. I'm completely serious when I say that back in v4 they were very effective. Just look at what they did for me. I had a period of a good six months of no warnings and punishments after being reformed and it would have continued until the OSMAP incident.

And really, the OSMAP incident was different than the petty acts of immaturity that I had done before the period after my reform, because I was actually rebelling for a cause at that point.

None.

May 13 2008, 2:38 am MillenniumArmy Post #57

Quote from Centreri
That post made a lot of sense. I would also like to add that I blame some of this on the coming of SCII, and not just on the administration or membership or whoever we're blaming - fewer maps/mods are being made, knowing they will in all likelyhood be abandoned in roughly (hopefully..) six months.
You know, i've been thinking about this for a while, But i believe the ultimate culprit for why starcraft communities, websites, members, and even starcraft itself is declining is the expectancy of SCII. It's been almost a year since blizzard announced SCII's production and since then, almost EVERY excuse i've seen for leaving/quitting sc, not making maps anymore, etc has to do with SCII. And when people want to end their "goodbyes" on a high note, they almost always mention something along the lines of "I'll be back for SC2." Seems to me the attitude of some people can be summed up with "Screw whatever [starcraft stuff] I am doing right now, I'll just wait for SC2 to come out!"

As for banning devilesk... why would we ban one of starcraft's most active and devouted map makers? Doing this would hurt the SC community more than would banning people like Jordann and other past members who contribute almost nothing to the sc mapping or modding world.

None.

May 13 2008, 2:39 am Demented Shaman Post #58

Quote from MillenniumArmy
As for banning devilesk... why would we ban one of starcraft's most active and devouted map makers? Doing this would hurt the SC community more than would banning people like Jordann and other past members who contribute almost nothing to the sc mapping or modding world.
Flip flopper!

Posted by MillenniumArmy on 2006-04-30 at 15:25:25
Just ban him now.

Cmon, it's devilesk. Do you expect him to change after multiple punishments? Not really.
http://doodle77.dyndns.org/staticsen.php?st=29614

None.

May 13 2008, 2:42 am Centreri Post #59

Relatively ancient and inactive

Yeah. At his worst, Devilesk isn't that bad, and he's a pretty good modder and a helpful programmer.
You know, i've been thinking about this for a while, But i believe the ultimate culprit for why starcraft communities, websites, members, and even starcraft itself is declining is the expectancy of SCII. It's been almost a year since blizzard announced SCII's production and since then, almost EVERY excuse i've seen for leaving/quitting sc, not making maps anymore, etc has to do with SCII. And when people want to end their "goodbyes" on a high note, they almost always mention something along the lines of "I'll be back for SC2." Seems to me the attitude of some people can be summed up with "Screw whatever [starcraft stuff] I am doing right now, I'll just wait for SC2 to come out!"
Good to see I'm not delusional. I'm just staying here to see exactly what happens to SEN once SCII comes out. And, of course, for Map Night.

None.

May 13 2008, 2:45 am Moose Post #60

We live in a society.

Seriously. Too many people. It isn't possible for everyone to get along, so I just have to keep trying what I think works best.

I agree on the notion that there is actually too little bereaucracy and procedure in place. The major enforcement tool is still "banned or not banned" at this point. In a community with so many members and so much information exchange, it is ineffective. It works at a more managable place like Maplantis, but it cannot simply be scaled up and remain effective.

Also, since the Staff holocaust, SEN has been ruled by whim and decree. I don't want to be overcritical, but I think it is unprofessional to try to run a website of this size by choosing to ban members "when they exceed an admin's sense of humor".
Was that the reason? What happened to the "Unfortunately, he thought this meant I loved him and would let him get away with shit". This implies the aforementioned "shit" is the reason for banning.

Members like Kellimus and devilesk seem unbannable;
Devilesk appears to be slightly less of a dick than he was. Kellimus is banned. Devilesk also happens to contribute to the StarCraft community, whereas someone like JordanN did little, and Kellimus to my knowledge... did nothing. I'm more open to the idea of banning people who don't do anything productive.
(EDIT: I have to agree with MilleniumArmy, who wrote his post while I was writing mine.)

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 56 >
  Back to forum