Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Need a few brave souls...
Need a few brave souls...
May 6 2008, 5:40 pm
By: Heimdal
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

May 9 2008, 6:58 pm Brontobyte Post #41

Well, I downloaded the new .zip file, removed the old one, installed the new one, opened all of the folders in my StarCraft file and changed them to "thumbnail view mode" and still nothing. :-( I checked my system task manager and its not doing anything. I waited just to see and as I thought, nothing happened. I looks way cool but I was disappointed when it didn't work. :-( Is their something that I'm doing wrong? Does the files need to be in the StarCraft folder? Do I have to rename anything? ?_?

None.

May 9 2008, 8:18 pm Heimdal Post #42

You shouldn't. So far 4 people (including 2 that weren't on the original tester list) have gotten this to work with no problems. Everyone else - nothing happens.

Check your windows\system32 folder for atl71.dll, msvcp71.dll, and msvcr71.dll. If they aren't there, move them there from program files\scmthumb and try viewing the thumbnails again.

And as always, please let me know how it goes :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 9 2008, 8:25 pm by Heimdal.

None.

May 9 2008, 8:31 pm Brontobyte Post #43

They all are there. I tried again countless times and nothing happened. :-( Every folder and map file in my StarCraft Map Folder are all in the "thumbnail viewing mode". It just comes up with the usual scmdraft icon (because its a map)...

None.

May 9 2008, 9:32 pm pneumatic Post #44

Dammit, I had the same problem as Falkoner. Hotmail won't let me download the msi. Could you send it to inkedreverb@gmail.com? thx

None.

May 9 2008, 9:50 pm Falkoner Post #45

Heimdal, ignore that E-mail I sent you, apparently Google Search doesn't look in system folders, I have all of those.

None.

May 9 2008, 9:52 pm Heimdal Post #46

Quote from name:razorsnail
Dammit, I had the same problem as Falkoner. Hotmail won't let me download the msi. Could you send it to inkedreverb@gmail.com? thx
The latest email had the installer wrapped in a .zip.

I'm still trying to find the correlating factor between who can get this to work and who can't. Brontobyte - you mentioned that you see the SCMDraft icon? Do you have .scm files associated with SCMDraft? That would alter the registry, but if SI did it in the correct way everything should be fine. I'll test this connection when I get home from work.

None.

May 9 2008, 9:53 pm Falkoner Post #47

My files are also associated with SCM Draft, and I get no problems.

None.

May 9 2008, 10:44 pm Brontobyte Post #48

My files are also associated with SCM Draft, and I get no problems.

Do you need to know my computer system information?

None.

May 9 2008, 11:34 pm NudeRaider Post #49

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from Heimdal
You shouldn't. So far 4 people (including 2 that weren't on the original tester list) have gotten this to work with no problems. Everyone else - nothing happens.

Check your windows\system32 folder for atl71.dll, msvcp71.dll, and msvcr71.dll. If they aren't there, move them there from program files\scmthumb and try viewing the thumbnails again.

And as always, please let me know how it goes :)
The atl71.dll was missing in system32. However I had atl.dll there. But copying atl71.dll into system32 again, changed nothing.

May 10 2008, 4:50 am Atlos Post #50

Working fine for me (Vista Home Premium). I got a lot of errors upon it updating the images on my maps, I'll email you a screenshot of some error messages tomorrow.

None.

May 10 2008, 5:10 am KrayZee Post #51

Heimdal, I didn't receive an email from you.

If you are not willing to enter my profile...

krazydrunkking@hotmail.com
krazydrunkking@yahoo.com
krazydrunkking@gmail.com

None.

May 10 2008, 5:48 am Kenoli Post #52

There is no contact information in your profile.

None.

May 10 2008, 12:47 pm pneumatic Post #53

It's working great for me (XP Professional), except that by viewing all of my SC map subfolders, it filled up my cache by more than 150 MB, which I think caused problems that were only resolved by repeated refreshes. I'm sure this is expected, but the full cache is unfortunate for my nearly-full system. It hasn't emptied yet, even though I've quit explorer. I'm guessing it will only empty on restart. Otherwise, very cool program.

As you said, there were certain maps it didn't work for. I'll send you the error messages by email.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 10 2008, 12:53 pm by razorsnail.

None.

May 10 2008, 1:31 pm Brontobyte Post #54

Still no luck. What if my cache is already filled up by something? How could I tell?

None.

May 10 2008, 4:09 pm Falkoner Post #55

I think you can change the size limit of your cache per folder using Tweak UI, but I'm not certain of it.

None.

May 10 2008, 6:22 pm Brontobyte Post #56

Well either its something that I'm doing wrong, or its something that isn't working properly inside the program, ect... Now because other people had said it works, that leaves me to believe that I'm doing something incorrect... :-(

None.

May 10 2008, 8:27 pm Heimdal Post #57

Quote from Brontobyte
Well either its something that I'm doing wrong, or its something that isn't working properly inside the program, ect... Now because other people had said it works, that leaves me to believe that I'm doing something incorrect... :-(
You're not the only one, though. Also, a message box should be popping up from any error in my code, so either the thing didn't install properly or it isn't loading properly (missing DLLs or something). Try going to start->run and typing the following:
regsvr32 "c:\program files\scmthumb\scmthumb.dll"

There's an option in the windows folder settings to not cache thumbnails. This will force scmthumb to redraw them every time you open a folder, but it will take up less disk space for the thumbnail caches. From any explorer window, go to tools->folder options->view tab->do not cache thumbnails.

Also, you can delete the thumbnail caches by turning on "view system files" (also in the folder options window) and deleting the thumbs.db file - but this only works on XP; vista has a centralized thumbnail database and I'm not sure how to clear it.

Oh, Kenoli - I'm getting delivery failure messages from your email address. Is there a different one you want me to use?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 10 2008, 8:36 pm by Heimdal.

None.

May 10 2008, 9:19 pm Brontobyte Post #58

Ok. I did the "start->run" thing and I received this message: DllRegisterServer in c:\program files/scmthumb/scmthumb.dll succeeded . Still nothing...

None.

May 10 2008, 9:31 pm Heimdal Post #59

Dangit, this is frustrating. Check event viewer (start->run "eventvwr.msc") and see if there are any scmthumb-related messages under the application folder.

None.

May 10 2008, 10:39 pm pneumatic Post #60

Quote from Heimdal
There's an option in the windows folder settings to not cache thumbnails. This will force scmthumb to redraw them every time you open a folder, but it will take up less disk space for the thumbnail caches. From any explorer window, go to tools->folder options->view tab->do not cache thumbnails.

Yeah, I discovered that too. This is actually not the problem, since for a folder containing (for example) 21.4 MB of maps, the Thumbs.db file is only 883 KB.

The problem, it seems, is that each map was cached somewhere to create the thumbs, and that cache didn't empty until I restarted my system. So caching over a thousand maps meant over two hundred megabytes of cache space. I couldn't find the location of this cache, either.

But now that I've restarted my system, the map-cache is empty, and the thumbs are still cached in their respective Thumbs.db files. Everything works great.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum