Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: suggestions plz
suggestions plz
Apr 19 2008, 12:51 am
By: noob4life  

Apr 19 2008, 12:51 am noob4life Post #1

Im newb at map making can anyone suggest a map that i can make that isn't too hard and will give me the basics of map making.... plz help :stfu:

None.

Apr 19 2008, 12:59 am candle12345 Post #2

Start with a SP map, probably based within the SC storyline [it doesnt have to be, but it's less work for you] and fill it with all kinds of stuff you can thnk of, dialogue etc. After that, try a defence map, they'll teach you about timing and progression etc, along with balance.

But really, just do whatever the hell you want to/

None.

Apr 19 2008, 1:09 am The Starport Post #3

Do whatever the hell you want to. That's pretty accurate.

A recommended starting point is to take a map you like to play and start dissecting it. Bnet has enough trash floating around already. Don't be too particularly worried about adding more. It's better to have figured out the workings of maps from mucking around that way than to worry about making anything good right away.

Plus you never know. Maybe you will offhandedly make something people will want to play just doing that.

None.

Apr 19 2008, 1:10 am BiOAtK Post #4

Do you have AIM/MSN? I can give you some basics quickly.

None.

Apr 19 2008, 1:22 am Ultraviolet Post #5

If I were you I'd just play around in the editor for a couple days. Look around at all the features and try to figure out what does what. If you can't figure something out, and you can't find a tutorial about it, post here. Someone will likely know the answer.

Apr 19 2008, 2:57 am Vrael Post #6

A lot of Starcraft mapping is pretty logical. If all the conditions of a trigger are filled, that is ALL of them, the trigger will execute its actions, in the order from top to bottom that they are listed in the trigger.

Starcraft checks every trigger for condition fulfillment roughly once per second (please correct me if I'm wrong) without hyper triggers, and roughly 12 times per second with hyper triggers.

When checking triggers, Starcraft checks in a specific order, starting with Player 1, then it goes down player 1's list, then it does player 2, then Player 3, ect. This means ORDER MATTERS.

Here's a problem a friend of mine had
Players:
Force 1
Conditions:
Force 1 brings exactly 0 men to Location 1
Force 1 brings at least 1 men to Location 2
Actions:
Give all any unit owned by Force 1 at Location 2 to Neutral
Display text for current player "blah blah w/e"

Now, this trigger runs for p1 first (assume p1-4 are Force 1)
The text is displayed for p1, the men are given to neutral
Next, when it checks this trigger for p2, FOrce 1's men have been given to neutral, so it does NOT fire for p2
and p2-4 sees no text.

Some little quirky things like that you need to look out for.

Also a beginners mistake I think is common, when you have a trigger like

Players:
Force 1
Conditions:
Switch 1 is Set.
Actions:
Create 1 Terran marine at Location 1 for Player 1

This will create 1 marine for each Player in Force 1, and all for Player 1.

Death Counts:
Starcraft keeps track of how many units of each type have died for every player, and you can also Set how many have died.
This is extremely useful in starcraft mapping since it allows you to keep track of a great deal of things.

As for a first map, I might suggest what I've personally classified as a "path" rpg. That is, you follow a defined path with a hero that either changes unit type, gets minerals, ect. There is generally a limited amount of text, basic terrain editing and the occasional "give" or "kill" or "create," units, ect. Make a few towns, think up a simple storyline, it uses all the basics. If you find that easy, add spells. If you're spells are ownage, add more stuff.

Quote from name:NerdyTerdy
If I were you I'd just play around in the editor for a couple days. Look around at all the features and try to figure out what does what. If you can't figure something out, and you can't find a tutorial about it, post here. Someone will likely know the answer.

This is also good advice.

None.

Apr 19 2008, 3:22 am lil-Inferno Post #7

Just here for the pie

Normally, asking for ideas is often the worst solution and can lead to a map you don't want to produce. Just experiment around for a while until you're confident that you can compile all of your creations and experiments into one playable product.

Apr 19 2008, 5:37 pm Rantent Post #8

Try to make a map where players fight one another (or a computer) and eventually one of them wins.

None.

Apr 19 2008, 7:59 pm The Starport Post #9

Quote from Rantent
Try to make a map where players fight one another (or a computer) and eventually one of them wins.
This.

None.

Apr 20 2008, 2:30 am noob4life Post #10

ty ill try playing round lol ^^

None.

Apr 20 2008, 1:33 pm Vi3t-X Post #11

Eh. Go download SCMDraft from the DLDB (or is it not there yet...)
Mess around with it, see what you can come up with. Expanding to a preset storyline is pretty easy. Or you can learn how I did (By finding unlocked maps and rigging them in my favour ^^ )

None.

Apr 20 2008, 3:13 pm Falkoner Post #12

Experiment a little(note, a little) then make an idea, and just do the best you can with it, modify the idea if you can't figure out a way to make it work, the best way to learn is to stretch your limits.

None.

Apr 20 2008, 9:01 pm noob4life Post #13

i already got scmdraft i made a defece map took me forever and it jsut crashed =.= pretty discouraging i dunno how it crashed.
but there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it... :stfu:

None.

Apr 20 2008, 9:26 pm The Starport Post #14

Try copying the terrain, units, and triggers into a new map. If it still crashes, copy each on its own and narrow down where the culprit is.

None.

Apr 20 2008, 10:00 pm Falkoner Post #15

Nah, he probably either placed a unit outside the map, or he accidentally placed a unit outside the map, or placed a crashing unit, or made a map size outside the norm. That's generally how most people start with the 3rd party editors.

None.

Apr 20 2008, 10:35 pm The Starport Post #16

Usually. But I've had odd mystery crashes before like that. I find simply stepping through the problem to narrow down the cause works in the absence of knowing what the specific culprit is.

None.

Apr 21 2008, 11:31 pm Vi3t-X Post #17

String Deletion. The use of having identical strings is not good for SCMDraft because if it's recycling feature.

None.

Options
  Back to forum