Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Should I change my nick?
Should I change my nick?
Apr 9 2008, 11:44 pm
By: Clokr_
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Polls
Should I change my nick?
Should I change my nick?
Answer Votes Percentage % Voters
Yes 4

19%
None.
No 18

82%
None.
Please login to vote.
Poll has 22 votes. You can vote for at most 1 option(s).

Apr 10 2008, 1:39 am The Starport Post #41

Let's see... what's higher than Cthulhu?

Oh! Azathoth! Yeah. Use him.

But I'm not sure being named after the "The Blind Idiot God" god has a nice feel to it...

None.

Apr 10 2008, 1:40 am Demented Shaman Post #42

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Quote from name:devilesk
Quote from Centreri
Really ironic, coming from someone who just made a string of 13 meaningless posts (not all by you, but caused by you) which talk about one of the most irrelevant things I've ever seen.

Clokr_ asked for opinions. That's all there is to it.
I think when someone asks for opinions its implied they want intelligent and valid ones. If they aren't then they're a waste of time will be ignored and so they shouldn't even be posted in the first place.

Seriously, you guys are doing Clokr_ a great disservice and not treating him with respect if you aren't going to give him some quality opinions on this issue.
No. I'd rather honesty and simplicity rather than wordy insight. If I wanted more intelligent opinions, as in, if I felt that was important, I'd just ask for that, or invoke a discussion to see if I could milk it out from people that way. We can't assume that we're owed the utmost of intelligent insight each and every time an opinion is asked for.

That honesty and simplicity is more useful for more casual requests like this, anyway.
Insight doesn't have to be wordy. I'm not saying no one has posted an intelligent and valid opinion. In fact, yours was one of the first:

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Nooooe!

If it bugs you so badly just name it Cloaker or something. I've never had a problem calling you Clokr_, though. :P

See that is an example of a valid opinion that addresses the actual situation.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 1:43 am Syphon Post #43

I propose a new poll...

How did everyone pronounce Clokr_?

Tux seems to think Cloaker, and I think Clocker.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 1:43 am Demented Shaman Post #44

Quote from Syphon
I propose a new poll...

I thought both.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 1:44 am chuiu Post #45

Also composite names like Mini Moose 2707 suck, theres too much going on there. Besides, who would want to be miniature moose number 2707 anyway? I would want to be Giant Moose 1. Giant Moose 1 owns your face.

Quote from Syphon
I propose a new poll...

I say cloaker also, regardless of how its spelled.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:00 am Aster Post #46

Invalid opinions are a waste of time and just spam.
Who says which opinions are invalid? You?

Clocker.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:02 am Demented Shaman Post #47

Quote from Aster
Invalid opinions are a waste of time and just spam.
Who says which opinions are invalid? You?
...but "our" opinions are not very valid if they don't consider the actual situation.
If you need more clarification, just read the whole topic thoroughly.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:05 am Dapperdan Post #48

Quote from Syphon
I propose a new poll...

Cloaker.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:06 am Centreri Post #49

Relatively ancient and inactive

Cloaker.

When Clokr_ gets on, maybe he'll say whether all this useless spam you incited was worth what it achieved.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:12 am Demented Shaman Post #50

Quote from Centreri
Cloaker.

When Clokr_ gets on, maybe he'll say whether all this useless spam you incited was worth what it achieved.
Doesn't matter. It's more of an ethical issue with the point being that when giving our opinions, no matter how big or small the issue is, they should be well informed, address the situation, and therefore valid.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:16 am Centreri Post #51

Relatively ancient and inactive

After all your arguments about respecting what Clokr_ wants, you leave his opinion to 'Doesn't matter'. I think I just won :P.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:20 am Demented Shaman Post #52

Quote from Centreri
After all your arguments about respecting what Clokr_ wants, you leave his opinion to 'Doesn't matter'. I think I just won :P.
No, what Clokr_ wants matters, but I'm talking about something that transcends the individual here. And the post I was replying to, yours, is flawed in the first place because it assumes my posts were spam.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 2:32 am lil-Inferno Post #53

Just here for the pie

Wow, this has certaintly gotten more attention than it should have in the three hours it wasposted :O .

Apr 10 2008, 3:26 am chuiu Post #54

Don't forget lame tags. Even if you're not in a clan they always look cool!

xX.SSJCthulhu13.Xx

None.

Apr 10 2008, 4:48 am Ryan Post #55

I'm kind of sick of this nick and I was thinking about changing it to Cthulhu or something else, what do ya think?
He's not simply asking whether we think yes/no to a simple name change, he's asking for what we think about:
I'm kind of sick of this nick and I was thinking about changing it to Cthulhu or something else
Therefore, our opinions should say something about that.

Wrong, devilesk. Did you even read the poll question?
Here, let me type it out for you:

Should I change my nick? <-(The part you forgot to read)
Yes o
No o
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lookatthisdevileskgc4.png

Therefore he is indeed asking our opinion, whether or not they're valid, invalid, if they're intelligent or not, etc.

I'm not saying people can't give their opinions. I'm saying they should be informed before they give it.
Obviously they were informed better than you to realize that it was a yes or no question.

By the way, I thought it was pronounced "cloaker".

None.

Apr 10 2008, 5:05 am Demented Shaman Post #56

Quote from Ryan
I'm kind of sick of this nick and I was thinking about changing it to Cthulhu or something else, what do ya think?
He's not simply asking whether we think yes/no to a simple name change, he's asking for what we think about:
I'm kind of sick of this nick and I was thinking about changing it to Cthulhu or something else
Therefore, our opinions should say something about that.

Wrong, devilesk. Did you even read the poll question?
Here, let me type it out for you:

Should I change my nick? <-(The part you forgot to read)
Yes o
No o
http://img187.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lookatthisdevileskgc4.png

Therefore he is indeed asking our opinion, whether or not they're valid, invalid, if they're intelligent or not, etc.

I'm not saying people can't give their opinions. I'm saying they should be informed before they give it.
Obviously they were informed better than you to realize that it was a yes or no question.

By the way, I thought it was pronounced "cloaker".
Yes, that's the problem. People just read the poll question and stopped. There's more information that one needs to take into account when giving their opinion contained in Clokr_'s post. If you're just going to answer the poll question and disregard everything else you might as well just vote and not even post your opinion. The reason his first post is there is so that you know how he feels and so people don't blindly just respond to "Should I change my name? Yes or no."

To highlight the consequences of ignoring what Clokr_ posted consider all of the replies that completely ignore Clokr_'s point regardless of what he did say. Now let's say that hypothetically Clokr_ said, "If I don't change my name, I will die." It then becomes clear that the posts that did not address Clokr_'s post at all are clearly out of place and completely silly and irrelevant. This shows the importance of taking into account the situation. The consequences are still the same substituting back in what Clokr_ actually said.

Quote from Clokr_
The point is that by not taking into account the situation indicated above your opinion isn't a valid one.
... "our" opinions are not very valid if they don't consider the actual situation.

Asking for an opinion doesn't mean you can give him garbage.

Seriously, you guys are doing Clokr_ a great disservice and not treating him with respect if you aren't going to give him some quality opinions on this issue.

Stop trying to justify the posting of lazy uninformed opinions.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Apr 10 2008, 5:17 am by devilesk.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 6:34 am Rantent Post #57

You must realize that if you change your name, someone will inevitably change their name to yours, and propagate that you never changed your name... :bleh:

Your just that important.

If you insist on changing names though, might I suggest something cooler than Cthulhu? Now don't be too quick to change, even though it may seem like a great idea at the moment, as this nickname is in the initial stages of conceptualization. But anyway, here it is...
Rantent_2
Yeah I know you don't have to thank me just yet, but if you truely feel compelled to do so, I will advise you to direct all comments to someone who might actually care.

None.

Apr 10 2008, 6:48 am MillenniumArmy Post #58

I like rantent's proposal

None.

Apr 10 2008, 7:23 am Zycorax Post #59

Grand Moderator of the Games Forum

Quote from Syphon
I propose a new poll...

Klokr

And no.

Apr 10 2008, 1:12 pm Clokr_ Post #60

wow, 59 posts... I hate my timezone you all get to post while I'm asleep...

Anyway, devilesk, I was just asking for opinion in a kinda stupid topic (I could just ask IP to restore mi nick whenever) made in the Null subforum. I don't think the argument was really necessary.

I just felt like changing the nickname to something more readable atleast for some time, but yeah you're all right Cthulhu is both unreadable and unoriginal. Mine's atleast original.

So yeah no nickname change for now, atleast not until I come up with something cooler :bleh:

?????

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum