Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Installation
Installation
Mar 2 2008, 11:49 pm
By: stickynote
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Mar 17 2008, 2:29 pm Falkoner Post #21

Well, we're kinda going for looks, but those extra traps don't cause any problems as long as their not doing anything, and it's fine for RPG maps where there aren't that many units. It really depends on what kind of map you are making.

None.

Mar 18 2008, 1:13 am Vi3t-X Post #22

Quote from candle12345
Just a thought. Are blends nowadays becoming more art than functionality? Surely those 200~ floortraps lag and add quite quickly to the unit/sprite cap... Or am I mistaken? Can someone clarify this for me, because I think it really is more art than mapping. Not taht I dissapprove, the best art is in a constrained environment. And this stuff is damned constrained.

Yay, he also understands me!

None.

Mar 18 2008, 3:01 am stickynote Post #23

Quote from candle12345
Just a thought.

Are blends nowadays becoming more art than functionality?
Surely those 200~ floortraps lag and add quite quickly to the unit/sprite cap...
Or am I mistaken?

Can someone clarify this for me, because I think it really is more art than mapping.

Not taht I dissapprove, the best art is in a constrained environment. And this stuff is damned constrained.

To me, they are an art as well as having a functional use. Making a cliff that would normally have high dirt regular dirt would make you much easier to hit if units were attacking you from dirt.

None.

Mar 20 2008, 12:52 am The Great Yam Post #24

I've tested all my trap blends for walkability and even designed them as to set up boundaries exactly where the traps lie and NO they don't lag.

Investigate what you say before you spout off bullshit.

None.

Mar 21 2008, 3:23 pm candle12345 Post #25

Uhh. I was asking a very reasonable question, the question was in fact a part of research, I'm no blender, and I'm not going to make a full-fledged terrain map just to try it out when I can just ask.

If you wanna be a dick about a perfectly reasonable question; Fuck, You.

Grow up you little baby, I wasn't making an attack, I was asking a reasonable question, I never said it was a stupid idea, nor did I ever say that blending is stupid.

You should really think before you spout bullshit.

You'll notice that several people answered my questions reasonably, and fully.
Thanks for the explanation guys.
And 'Yam'. Grow up.

None.

Mar 21 2008, 3:37 pm payne Post #26

:payne:

The word reasonable appears 4 times in your text >.<

None.

Mar 21 2008, 3:38 pm candle12345 Post #27

I think it was a reasonable usage of the word reasonable in such unreasonable circumstances, does that seem reasonable enough to you?

None.

Mar 22 2008, 3:52 am Fallen Post #28

Lil inferno, is the tiling scheme possible without the traps becasue that is nice but in game it wll cmmu way to fast

None.

Mar 22 2008, 4:03 am lil-Inferno Post #29

Just here for the pie

Quote from Fallen
Lil inferno, is the tiling scheme possible without the traps becasue that is nice but in game it wll cmmu way to fast
It doesn't blend without the traps. Without traps in Installation, it's basically useless in extended :D .

Mar 23 2008, 12:07 am Falkoner Post #30

Yeah, unless you are in love with mirroring :P

None.

Mar 23 2008, 12:26 pm Ahli Post #31

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

does somebody has nice ramp in installation which allows fat units like ultralisks to pass?
My attemp is not the best you can make. I know it. :)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 28 2009, 3:34 pm by Ahli.

Mar 23 2008, 1:54 pm Falkoner Post #32

Yeah... You might as well have just made it blocky..

None.

Mar 23 2008, 2:58 pm candle12345 Post #33

Eww. No offense, I realise how hard it is yo make good installation blends.
But nonetheless, eww.

Lemme give it a quick crack.

EDIT:
Jesus christ, I now loathe installation. This is hard.

EDIT:
I've almost cracked it...
It's fully walkable, but very, very ugly.

EDIT:
Better, but still f**kin ugly.

EDIT:
New install blend? I dunno, but here's my final result.
It's completely fine to walk on, but it is a bit blocky. Sorry all.
Hope this is good enough.

Attachments:
fat-install-ramp.scm
Hits: 22 Size: 35.51kb

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Mar 23 2008, 3:46 pm by candle12345.

None.

Mar 23 2008, 6:51 pm Paravin. Post #34

It looks.. Ugly. :bye1:

None.

Mar 23 2008, 7:08 pm MNeox Post #35

Who said there couldn't be buildings?

This is my attempt at one. Just using the already blended terrain lol
Yes it may look weird at first... or the second time.. maybe not even at all.
point is I hope this resembles a building. :]

None.

Mar 23 2008, 9:00 pm Falkoner Post #36

Whoa... That's a weird concept, but it works..

None.

Mar 23 2008, 9:04 pm payne Post #37

:payne:

I think it seems more like an elevator. :|

None.

Mar 23 2008, 9:43 pm Rantent Post #38

My favorite stuff is the city Kamikaze.kow made in installation, (outside his restraunt in a cooking map) it kicked butt.
Nobody probably remembers it but me though...

None.

Mar 24 2008, 1:01 am candle12345 Post #39

Quote from Paravin.
It looks.. Ugly. :bye1:

:P
I tried, if the god damn stairs were just a few pixels wider...

It IS fully walkable though, so that's a big plus. I really wish there was more installation...

None.

Mar 29 2008, 8:14 am Laura.47 Post #40

Quote from MNeox
Who said there couldn't be buildings?

The top looks more like a large elevator than anything else. Also, using traps as floor tiles looks really, really weird unless they're all lined up perfectly. It's very uncommon to get CCMU on an Installation.

Here's just what I've learned about Installation terrain after working on two Station maps and one cheap excuse for a Station map (39). This is more of a "How To" than a showcase, so I hope this helps. Sorry if it's kind of hard to follow, so I added images to make it easier.

Whenever you have a two-story high wall (meaning, roof and floor lined up), any one pattern on the roof will match up with one pattern for the floor.
(Station 44)
Exhibit A.

The two story high wall that gives you the "normal" wall on the substructure (the one without anything on it) is the door "doodad" on the roof walls...
(Test Map)
Exhibit B.

There is a way to get the clean wall pattern on any wall, however, you can only do it with the clean wall, because no matter what you have for the top wall in a corner heading south, it will always have one square of clean wall...
(Test Map)
Exhibit C.

Now, see the squares in red? In SCMDraft, use copy+paste terrain to move them under the pattern above them...

(same bloody Test Map)
Exhibit D.

Take the one square to the right of where the wall would meet the corner... (surrounded in red in Exhibit C...)
...and fill in the last space in.

Then...

Weeee! This works for right walls, not just left walls. This does make your installations look a lot cleaner and more realistic. Blizzard went to great lengths to make their installation maps have near-uniform walls in some of the normal SC missions, which is probably why they looked oh-so-pretty.

Hope that I:
A.) Made sense
B.) Helped. =]

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum