Staredit Network > Forums > Portal News > Topic: Community Warning: Map Theft
Community Warning: Map Theft
Apr 22 2023, 6:17 pm
By: Excalibur  

May 9 2023, 3:47 am Rawflesh0615 Post #21

Holy Sh(LANGUAGE), who could ever done like this?

None.

May 9 2023, 10:07 pm Ultraviolet Post #22

Quote from TheHappy115
In my own personal style, I generally don't mind people modifying my stuff as long as they provide a honorary mention on who the original designer was. I made sure to mention in my posts on the SC1 Reverse series that the original maps I got them from was the Coop-Campaign by r4z0r84. Now the maps look nothing even remotely like they do, but I still used that as a baseline and added their names for honorable mentions in my posts. I also credited the maker of the Starcraft II Reverse series for giving me inspiration for making the maps. The maps themselves, honestly weren't the most well made as I focused on more personal enjoyment and decided to share it (no joke, all 6 campaigns took me about as long as it takes me to make 2 RPG maps).

Finally, a person also emailed me when I was gone asking for permission to modify the map in a different language (which I gave). He responded even after I was absent for 4+ months and I appreciate it.

Long story short, if an author puts themselves in the credits, a person shouldn't be actively removing that original author unless they explicitly stated they wanted to be removed, regardless of whether new stuff was added.

This is my style, too. If you got inspiration from something, it's only fair to credit the source especially in the case of mapmakers who are just doing this as passion projects (as opposed to large game studios who I personally don't feel as obligated to credit for ideas). In my Impossible map, everything was created from scratch, but I still credited Cyrus who created Impossible Cyrus since playing that map is what inspired me to make mine.

Quote from GGmano
@ultraviolet, i do find map edits legit tho, if original authors names are keept and more than just one string name is edited, if changing a map from 1s to 2s thats a legit edit to me, i dont know the excakt map you refer to tho, Yet the original authors name should ofcourse be keept. id actually have the openion that even created mechanic systems should be linked to the author, like the spell system on buildings for excample and such mechanics. but who made what mechanics is often not shown. But here the player base really helps cause they know old maps and what author made this and that. without editors that improve and change maps into something even better than original, than the sc map development wouldnt be this good.

You are giving way too much benefit of the doubt here. Bumping the version forward a number doesn't mean anything, it takes all of two seconds to change that. I checked the modified versions of my map, and there are no significant changes except for the complete removal of my name. There are actually fewer triggers in the versions they stole than in my original version. On top of that, they abolished my name from every place in the map. If they wanted to simply edit the map, they could say Made by: Ultraviolet, Updated/Modified by: Dark(DvS). The only reason to remove my name from everywhere would be so they could take credit for my work.

I'm also not opposed to map edits when due credit is given, although I do believe permission should still be obtained when possible. In cases where the mapmaker left the scene a long time ago, I don't think permission matters as much since it would be difficult/impossible to obtain, but the original creator should still be credited. Ultimately that's not what this topic is about, we're talking about plain and simple map theft.

Quote from GGmano
Is it possible one person not beeing alyk changing the name string on the qterras map you link too, just to put shame on alyk? or that is not possible? I mean it look like it could have taken less than 10 seconds to do. Why would a map maker long term with respect for him self do such and host the maps still using hes name, wouldnt he be stupid to do so. the only intension in that name string change is bad, but whether it comes from actually alyk or another guy, is hard to see no?

Of course it's possible, but is it likely or feasible? Seems to me like you're playing the devil's advocate just for the sake of argument. It's obvious from the evidence Excalibur presented that Alykzandir is guilty.

May 15 2023, 5:45 pm GGmano Post #23

Mr.Pete-Tong

@ultraviolet arh ok i thought more than 2min edit, to change map from 1playr to 2 player or 3 player etc..

i have to warn about someone using bots on us west server to spread info, this kind of work is negative for the sc community, by those kinds of bots used on spreading news. Such ways is or can be seen as manipulation of the game lobbies. i advise the ones, if someone here on sen are the person or persons behind those bots, to remove them from servers. Its not a legit way to work against map theft, doin that would be as stupid as stealing maps.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 15 2023, 8:00 pm by GGmano.

A Legendary Map Maker, Player. Apparently im more than intresting to observe Irl

Ill try do my best in making all youre watchers happy

The maps I made are tweaked into perfection and maximum strategy added

May 18 2023, 2:49 am TheHappy115 Post #24

Quote from GGmano
i have to warn about someone using bots on us west server to spread info, this kind of work is negative for the sc community, by those kinds of bots used on spreading news. Such ways is or can be seen as manipulation of the game lobbies. i advise the ones, if someone here on sen are the person or persons behind those bots, to remove them from servers. Its not a legit way to work against map theft, doin that would be as stupid as stealing maps.

I do agree that despite there being large issues of Map Theft, there is a high chance that most people playing casually on SC1 just don't care. On top of that, from an outside perspective before I saw the warnings on SEN, I was actually nervous that someone was manipulating game lobbies and possibly hacking games. I state this because originally when I played on US East, there was a known player who would create a bunch of duplicate lobbies or harassment lobbies against someone and they would essentially drophack everyone's game, selected game types, and games he made also crashed SC. There were times when you couldn't even play custom games for hours at a time without being immediately drophacked which resulted in only private games being playable.

Anyways, I would advise against this method.

None.

Jun 7 2023, 4:58 am RdeRenato Post #25

I am Renato

Quote from A_of-s_t
Glad to see the community is still active and cares about these types of issues.

I concur

Anything can happen on the internet :|

:unsure: i am RdeRenato, a veteran noob

Options
  Back to forum