Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Mapping Tools > Topic: scmdraft - 0.9.0 info + nightly download (Post small feature req
scmdraft - 0.9.0 info + nightly download (Post small feature req
Apr 9 2017, 9:27 am
By: Suicidal Insanity
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 760 >

May 30 2017, 12:07 am Excalibur Post #81

The sword and the faith

@SI
What Xena seems to be asking for is rotational symmetry which is an extension of XY symmetry that alternates per corner. Most 'pro' maps use XY rotational for 4p maps.

Examples of maps using XY rotational symmetry:
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/pics/4663.jpg
http://www.panschk.de/mappage/pics/4674.jpg

I think it unlikely thant SCMD could automate XY rotational. I guess if it looked at the map in 4 quadrants the way X+Y+XY does and alternated the XY for each of them then it might be possible. Let me know what you think or if I need to provide further clarification.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

May 30 2017, 12:13 am Suicidal Insanity Post #82

I see you !

Its clear what he means by rotational symmetry. I don't know what he means by custom terrain and missing.

For rotational symmetry: I was thinking of projecting a ray from the map center through the brush point to the edge, normalizing the ray to 1.0 and the brush point to [0.0 ... 1.0], and then projecting that N times using using 2 PI / N degrees steps. If anyone wants to try making a map with that I'll whip up a hacked version tommarow.

May 30 2017, 12:23 am Excalibur Post #83

The sword and the faith

Its clear what he means by rotational symmetry. I don't know what he means by custom terrain and missing.

For rotational symmetry: I was thinking of projecting a ray from the map center through the brush point to the edge, normalizing the ray to 1.0 and the brush point to [0.0 ... 1.0], and then projecting that N times using using 2 PI / N degrees steps. If anyone wants to try making a map with that I'll whip up a hacked version tommarow.

If we can get Freakling interested I think he'd be the most qualified to give feedback. I'll see if I can get him to do so.

If not my much less skilled hands can give it a go.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

May 30 2017, 4:41 am dant11 Post #84

Custom Terrain

It is inconvenient to copy and paste.

Is it possible to be able to draw Custom Terrain?

Attachments:
Custom Terrain.png
Hits: 9 Size: 130.17kb
1.gif
Hits: 6 Size: 791.47kb
2.gif
Hits: 4 Size: 797.96kb
3.gif
Hits: 4 Size: 764.93kb
Inconvenience.gif
Hits: 8 Size: 550.61kb

None.

May 30 2017, 7:59 am Suicidal Insanity Post #85

I see you !

Quote from Excalibur

If we can get Freakling interested I think he'd be the most qualified to give feedback. I'll see if I can get him to do so.

If not my much less skilled hands can give it a go.

Freaklings special wish list already is a mile long :D

Quote from dant11
Custom Terrain

It is inconvenient to copy and paste.

Is it possible to be able to draw Custom Terrain?

I plan on making the custom brush palette preview the brushes like the doodad palette. That may cover part of what you want.

May 30 2017, 10:05 am Wormer Post #86

I was never into this custom brush palette thing, but is it like a collection of custom terrain pieces that you can save/load to a file and quickly reuse? Is it working yet? Because I've tried to make a new brush, but I didn't figure out how to place it and then SCMD crashed when I closed the brush window.

What dant11 says about custom terrain makes sense. How I see it: there is a window that allows to draw those 8 pieces or just select them from custom brush palette entities of the appropriate size (with the latter this window is a controls window where you don't even need to implement any drawing capabilities or display anything at all). There is also a control on that window to select the type of the "middle" fill from basic flat terrain types: dirt, high dirt, temple, etc.

Then in it's simplest form this isn't an isometric brush that blends into surrounding area, but just a thing that puts those 8 pieces in the appropriate order over the surrounding area without variations.

Maybe it isn't hard to do blending if an option for the "surrounding" area is specified on that window too. Again, the surrounding area option accepts only basic terrain types. If the surrounding area is specified the SCMD should treat the brush like it was the brush of the appropriate type with the only difference that it uses custom slopes. I can use slopes with dirt foot like on that picture but specify jungle as a surrounding area and ruins as it's inner part: there is no matter if my custom slopes blend into surroundings at all because this is just the way I want it. But if I specified dirt as a surrounding and trying to paint over the high dirt SCMD should do the "hole in the roof" trying to blend my terrain like it was really dirt outside.

If that turns out a boring thing to do or as an additional feature :D there can be a converter brush that uses those 8 custom slopes to automatically convert the slopes of the default isometric terrain like shown on the last picture:

With that brush you draw over normal isometric slopes and they are getting converted to custom ones under the brush.

Last but not least, is a randomization brush that is applied to normal isometric terrain and does nothing but rehashes the existing terrain underneath leaving the meaning of the terrain itself the same: like dirt tiles remain dirt and slopes remain slopes of the same orientation, etc.

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on May 30 2017, 10:21 am by Wormer.

Some.

May 30 2017, 11:00 am Pr0nogo Post #87

If possible, it would be nice to be able to use tileset indexed to place more than one tile at a time, so I didn't have to click each individual tile of my custom doodads (or any other blend) and could just paint an entire doodad's tiles on the ground as if it were a doodad.

An example:

May 30 2017, 2:17 pm Oh_Man Post #88

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Don't know if this has already been said but I often find myself wishing I could find the mirror version of a particular tile. If there was a way to like link them up and easily access mirror versions of a tile that would be cool. Like, copying a tile, then holding SHIFT down swaps to the mirror version of what you have copied (where applicable).

May 30 2017, 2:57 pm Wormer Post #89

I know this isn't a general wishlist thread, but feeling like I can ask this since units received an update recently.

Is there anything that can be done to figure out the order in which units will be cycled with the following trigger: 1) give 1 unit U from player A to player B at anywhere, 2) move location L on unit U owned by player A at anywhere?

I know the order is from leftmost-topmost unit to the right-bottom, but it's technically hard to figure out when there is a hundred of preplaced units on the map. Ideally what would help is if it was possible to do the cycle through the selection in that particular order. Let's say I select a group of units and then press Ctrl+J/Ctrl+K to cycle a subselection (yellow circle) in that particular order forward/backward.

Right-click option on a unit (group of units) to select all of this type (types) would be helpful there too.

EDIT:
Awww! :w00t: How I didn't thought of this earlier! Is it possible to have this one as a toolbar button and in the menu: Triggers -> Compile triggers from buffer. Hotkey: F5 or F7! Pleeeeaase? :rolleyes:

As a side note: F4 and F8 scroll the map down and up, are they supposed to? You can consider to put some options to functional keys as well. Like F1 to F4 open/close Terrain, Unit, Doodads and Brush palettes for instance.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 30 2017, 4:18 pm by Wormer.

Some.

May 30 2017, 7:42 pm Suicidal Insanity Post #90

I see you !

Prongo: Its on the list. I just haven't figured out a good UI yet / had time to test stuff.

Oh_Man: I don't know if that is feasible. I could try searching for the tile that reuses the largest number of microtiles as flipped graphics.

Wormer: I had always assumed the triggers go through the units in the order as they are stored in the fixed sized unit array. And afaik that is populated in the same order as the map is saved. That is the order I use to display the unit index in the unit properties window. Guess I learned something new today.

Really, REALLY hacky 7fold rotational symmetry:

May 30 2017, 7:53 pm NudeRaider Post #91

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Oh_Man: I don't know if that is feasible. I could try searching for the tile that reuses the largest number of microtiles as flipped graphics.
What if someone provides you with a list of mirror tiles? What's the best way to specify a certain tile?

May 30 2017, 9:04 pm Suicidal Insanity Post #92

I see you !

Temporary version for proof of concept for symmetric terrain here: http://www.stormcoast-fortress.net/Irregularies/Files/ScmDraft2-{4305828E-0120-4C1D-A294-D776C49DA734}.zip

Right now it initializes to a random degree of symmetry every time scmdraft is started.

Jun 1 2017, 2:13 pm mr.vanilla Post #93

Hey, Why still don't change this part? :crazy:

It doesn't activate on snap when I was Copy and Paste Sprites.
And Units and Buildings are too.

Even in the case of resources such as minerals and gases,
Even if I position it accurately, the position changes finely.

It's Too Uncomfortable. :flamer: :flamer: :flamer:

Quickly fix Plz. :hurr:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 1 2017, 2:24 pm by mr.vanilla.

None.

Jun 1 2017, 9:23 pm Suicidal Insanity Post #94

I see you !

The isometrical nature of terrain makes tile based symmetry weird, maybe I need to skew it into the isometrical plane :(

E: Now in the isometrical plane as well.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jun 1 2017, 10:46 pm by Suicidal Insanity.

Jun 4 2017, 7:34 am outlawpoet Post #95

Quote from outlawpoet
Could it also be possible to adjust the opacity/transparency of the locations? Sometimes I want them visible and unlocked without my whole screen turning blue.

Please help, everything is blue. :unsure:

None.

Jun 7 2017, 11:20 pm Suicidal Insanity Post #96

I see you !

Quote from mr.vanilla
Hey, Why still don't change this part? :crazy:

It doesn't activate on snap when I was Copy and Paste Sprites.
And Units and Buildings are too.

Even in the case of resources such as minerals and gases,
Even if I position it accurately, the position changes finely.

It's Too Uncomfortable. :flamer: :flamer: :flamer:

Quickly fix Plz. :hurr:

The next version will fix snapping buildings when copy + pasting multiple units. It will not snap unit sprites yet though. Eventually though. Are you using pure sprites or unit sprites?

Quote from outlawpoet
Quote from outlawpoet
Could it also be possible to adjust the opacity/transparency of the locations? Sometimes I want them visible and unlocked without my whole screen turning blue.

Please help, everything is blue. :unsure:

That's ... um.... quite a few layers of locations. I'll see where I can hide that option.

New version should be up in a few minutes, with some bugfixes and slightly better terrain copy / paste + rect brush snapping.

Jun 10 2017, 9:17 am Suicidal Insanity Post #97

I see you !

Still working on the UI, but .....

Jun 12 2017, 12:04 am Suicidal Insanity Post #98

I see you !

And unit ranges....

Jun 12 2017, 12:40 am Pr0nogo Post #99

Cheers SI, unit ranges are super useful for mapmakers. If possible, can we have the option to configure hotkeys for displaying these things?

Jun 12 2017, 3:47 am Oh_Man Post #100

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Unit ranges very Niiice

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 760 >
  Back to forum