Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Blizzard is Suing Valve for "DOTA"
Blizzard is Suing Valve for "DOTA"
Feb 11 2012, 7:29 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Feb 11 2012, 7:23 pm DevliN Post #21

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from UnholyUrine
Other than the fact they have employed the fan that made DOTA in WC3?
Quote from DevliN
If someone other than UU went to Valve to have them make a standalone Temple Siege game, would that be okay? I see that as being the same as Icefrog saying it's fine to use DOTA even though he made and popularized a version of it as opposed to the original. :/
Quote from ClansAreForGays
And Ice Frog didn't start dota, he just made his own version (All-Stars) after the creator abandoned it, and that incredibly improved version took off and became a mega hit. So it be more like if Valve hired me and Moose to do temple siege 2, not UU.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 11 2012, 7:38 pm LoveLess Post #22

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

A lot of you have been misinformed about a lot of this:

Icefrog did not make DOTA: All-Stars, that would be Guinsoo. Icefrog took over for Guinsoo when he was tired of working on it and Icefrog had already been helping him before this decision, so it was turned over to him. This means that Icefrog has all of the creative rights over the mod as long as they do not step on any copyrighted content. Which they have not. They have gone through all of the proper channels to do everything they have done so far.

Originally DOTA was created by Eul, who has kept quiet this entire time and according to CecilSunkure, is currently attending Digipen in Washington.

This was filed back in November and is merely a dispute over the name, so it is just an issue of filing suit. Old news.

Blizzard is just fighting Valve over having sole rights to the name DOTA and directly making a sequel to it, DOTA2. In my opinion, since Icefrog is the current retainer of the mod, it is his to do what he wants.

In the end, this is just Blizzard saying: "MAKE THE NAME VALVE DOTA!"

None.

Feb 11 2012, 8:01 pm EzTerix Post #23

Pretty sure Icefrog is helping develop DOTA 2 with Valve...

Quote from name:sauce
He is currently employed by Valve Corporation as the lead designer for Dota 2, the stand-alone sequel to the original scenario.

lol

None.

Feb 11 2012, 8:14 pm DevliN Post #24

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from EzTerix
Pretty sure Icefrog is helping develop DOTA 2 with Valve...

Quote from name:sauce
He is currently employed by Valve Corporation as the lead designer for Dota 2, the stand-alone sequel to the original scenario.

lol
Yes, we've established this a few times now. :P

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 11 2012, 9:06 pm UnholyUrine Post #25

It is quite a sticky situation.

@CAFG and TS example - TS, in my eyes, was brought into the competitive scene by you and moose, but a lot of the ideas that remain to this day is thought up by me. Either way, if one of us were asked to make TS2 and make money out of it, it is more acceptable (but still classless) for the rest of us to sue, because we've actually put energy and effort into the map.

The Blizzard vs. Valve thing is with people who have NOT put any effort on the map vs. people who have hired, and is therefore giving monetary support to the person who has put energy and effort into the game.

EDIT:
2) The EULA may state that Blizzard owns the maps Icefrog created for Warcraft, and the intellectual property associated with it, but EULAs may not stand up in court.
Aha! Here's where Blizzard can come in and might actually win this case. Although morally (as in "in our hearts"), Blizzard has lost on all fronts, I do believe that this EULA makes this case a sticky situation where Blizzard might come out top.
EDIT EDIT: If Blizzard owns DOTA 1, does it make them own or be able to trademark the phrase "DOTA" or Defense of the Ancients?

All biases and opinions aside...
my main point was to discuss the system in which games/intellectual properties are copyrighted and are owned.

The system pretty much makes it so that it doesn't matter who is the brainchild of the game, or even who actually understands the game. A person who was under a company and made a good game can be kicked out of the studio, and then years later be refused to make a sequel of the same game. The company who kicked this person out might never use this intellectual property to its fullest, or have even thought about doing it.

To me, this blizzard vs. valve thing is the product of a much bigger underlying problem.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Feb 11 2012, 9:20 pm by UnholyUrine.

None.

Feb 11 2012, 9:23 pm DevliN Post #26

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

If I recall, isn't this suit is about the rights to the name "DOTA," though, as opposed to the rights to who can make a DOTA game? Since "DOTA" is an acronym for "Defense of the Ancients," a phrase that comes from WarCraft's lore, and the original "Defense of the Ancients" was a map made to play that battle in WarCraft's lore, then it seems pretty obvious that Blizzard should get the rights to it. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 11 2012, 9:26 pm Moose Post #27

We live in a society.

Quote from DevliN
If I recall, isn't this suit is about the rights to the name "DOTA," though, as opposed to the rights to who can make a DOTA game?
Supposedly, if this is true:
Quote from UnholyUrine
Blizzard has filed against valve for using the DOTA name on their upcoming game, DOTA 2, as you all should know. They claim that "it not only will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III."

Feb 11 2012, 9:28 pm The Starport Post #28

I don't think Blizzard owns exclusive rights to the term 'Ancients'. :rolleyes:

None.

Feb 11 2012, 9:30 pm DevliN Post #29

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I don't think Blizzard owns exclusive rights to the term 'Ancients'. :rolleyes:
True, and if the game was just called "Ancients" then they'd be idiots to try to get the trademark removed. But it isn't just called "Ancients." :P

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 11 2012, 9:32 pm The Starport Post #30

No, but the argument that calling out trademark infringement for the full 'Defense of the Ancients' label on the grounds that 'Ancients' are an exclusive Blizzard trademark is not valid, if one is to be made to that effect. Jus' sayin'.

None.

Feb 11 2012, 9:35 pm Azrael Post #31

Just read through their suit. Blizzard isn't trying to trademark DotA, they're just trying to stop Valve from trademarking it. Which seems fair.

I guess though, some guy will probably decide this that's never even used a computer. All them newfangled contraptions and whatnot.

Feb 11 2012, 11:32 pm LoveLess Post #32

"Defense of the Ancients" is owned by Guinsoo or Pendragon, cannot remember who, who quickly patented the name around the same time that the leaks of IceFrog's employment were made. In a troll-like manner, Valve just patented the name DOTA, not as an acronym, but a word/title.

For those of you who do not know, both Guinsoo and Pendragon work for Riot.

And yes, Icefrog is the HEAD of the DOTA2 project. That means he makes the decisions within the project.

Here is a bit about Pendragon:
Eul is DotA's original creator on WC3:RoC. He works for Valve now.
Guinsoo took over after Eul when WC3:TFT came out (2003) and made Dota-Allstars with Pendragon managing the site www.dota-allstars.com .
Icefrog took over when Guinsoo abandoned the mod in 2005 and has been developing it since. Pendragon managed the Dota-Allstars site for a while with Icefrog but started introducing advertisements and specifically advertisements for League of Legends (part of the hate for LoL comes from this and some other stuff Pendragon did).
Pendragon later brought down www.dota-allstars.com after disagreements with Icefrog (advertising on the site among other things) and wrote a big piece that was an attempt at soiling Icefrog's name and was overall propaganda serving as an advertisement for (guess what) League of Legends. He promised to archive the forums (that contained tons of history on DotA, suggestions, mechanics posts among other things) and he never did.
Overall Pendragon is a scumbag that earned the scorn of the DotA community and if you ever wondered why LoL is so hated among this community it's mostly because of him.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 12:04 am DevliN Post #33

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from LoveLess
Where'd you hear the latter?

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 12 2012, 12:15 am UnholyUrine Post #34

Wait so you can "trademark" (cause I don't even know if that's the right term anymore) "Defense of the Ancients" AND "DOTA" as separate things?

I'm just getting confused now....

@ "causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III."
I personally think the false affiliation would benefit both Blizzard and Valve...
*shrug*

None.

Feb 12 2012, 12:18 am LoveLess Post #35

Not entirely too sure about that Eul working with Valve part, I have a few people that have told me he is currently attending Digipen.

Quote from UnholyUrine
Wait so you can "trademark" (cause I don't even know if that's the right term anymore) "Defense of the Ancients" AND "DOTA" as separate things?

I'm just getting confused now....

@ "causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III."
I personally think the false affiliation would benefit both Blizzard and Valve...
*shrug*
Think of it like someone trademarks the name UBER and then another company trademarks United Beasts of Eternal Rest or some shit, then calls it U.B.E.R.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 12:24 am Ahli Post #36

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Blizzard's paper for that case

Point 21 is very interesting...
21. In addition to the foregoing, in or about October 2004, two Warcraft fans,
Steve Feak (who also participated in the development of the DotA mods) and Steve
Mescon, launched the Internet website DotA-Allstars.com (www.dota-allstars.com ) (the
"DotA-Allstars Website"). The DotA-Allstars Website was a website dedicated to
promoting, advertising and distributing the DotA Mods. The DotA-Allstars website was
visited by millions of people, and at one time the average number of visitors to the
website exceeded one million each month. Via the DotA-Allstars Website, Feak and
Mescon distributed versions of the DotA Mods, communicated with members of the
public concerning the DotA Mods, advertised upcoming DotA tournaments and
competitions, and collected fan artwork concerning the DotA Mods. All of these
activities were undertaken with the authorization and consent of Blizzard, pursuant to the
EULA. In 2008, Feak and Mescon each assigned all of their rights in and to the DotA
Mods and the DotA-Allstars Website to "DotA-Allstars, LLC." In 2010, DotA-Allstars,

LLC was purchased by Riot Games, Inc. In 2011, Riot transferred DotA-Allstars, LLC to
Blizzard. Accordingly, Blizzard now possesses all rights that DotA-Allstars LLC may
have had in connection with the DotA Mods and the DotA-Allstars website, including
any trademarks or other goodwill DotA-Allstars LLC may have had in the DOTA Marks.

Feb 12 2012, 12:46 am LoveLess Post #37

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85103667+&action=Request+Status

This is apparently the one between Blizzard and Valve, like Ahli's, but a little different.

None.

Feb 12 2012, 12:55 am UnholyUrine Post #38

So that website proves that the phrase "DOTA" is under Dota-allstars LLC, which is under Blizzard?

None.

Feb 12 2012, 1:48 am rockz Post #39

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

Rock and a hard place.

Blizzard makes a good point. Icefrog/all the creators of DotA make a good point.

I don't really think there should be a dota 2, but it's much easier to associate the dota name with "dota 2" rather than "hon" "lol" or "sotis", and I think valve wants to capitalize on this.

In the end though, blizzard is probably just trying to make a buck/figure out if there is a legal problem with it. Blizz should be happy just to find out the ruling.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Feb 12 2012, 2:54 am The Starport Post #40

Quote from LoveLess
"Defense of the Ancients" is owned by Guinsoo or Pendragon, cannot remember who, who quickly patented the name around the same time that the leaks of IceFrog's employment were made. In a troll-like manner, Valve just patented the name DOTA, not as an acronym, but a word/title.

For those of you who do not know, both Guinsoo and Pendragon work for Riot.

And yes, Icefrog is the HEAD of the DOTA2 project. That means he makes the decisions within the project.

Here is a bit about Pendragon:
Guinsoo took over after Eul when WC3:TFT came out (2003) and made Dota-Allstars with Pendragon managing the site www.dota-allstars.com .
Icefrog took over when Guinsoo abandoned the mod in 2005 and has been developing it since. Pendragon managed the Dota-Allstars site for a while with Icefrog but started introducing advertisements and specifically advertisements for League of Legends (part of the hate for LoL comes from this and some other stuff Pendragon did).
Pendragon later brought down www.dota-allstars.com after disagreements with Icefrog (advertising on the site among other things) and wrote a big piece that was an attempt at soiling Icefrog's name and was overall propaganda serving as an advertisement for (guess what) League of Legends. He promised to archive the forums (that contained tons of history on DotA, suggestions, mechanics posts among other things) and he never did.
Overall Pendragon is a scumbag that earned the scorn of the DotA community and if you ever wondered why LoL is so hated among this community it's mostly because of him.
So basically, as soon as money entered the picture, things turned to shit for everyone. :rolleyes:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum