Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Handing SEN over
Handing SEN over
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Feb 7 2012, 12:12 am
By: Forsaken Archer
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Feb 7 2012, 8:11 am Aristocrat Post #21

Quote from Kaias
Tempting since I already own a dedicated server and it wouldn't cost me anything to annex. But I would be just as negligent, so not a good idea.
Ditto. Can't assure SEN ownership would be something I can deal with.

None.

Feb 7 2012, 8:16 am Lanthanide Post #22

Quote from Kaias
Tempting since I already own a dedicated server and it wouldn't cost me anything to annex. But I would be just as negligent, so not a good idea.
IP not signing on for a year doesn't seem to have been a problem. You'll have to be pretty negligent to be more negligent than that.

None.

Feb 7 2012, 2:04 pm Excalibur Post #23

The sword and the faith

Quote from Jack
Quote from Excalibur
Whoever takes over, I remind everyone that the ability to pay the bills does not make one qualified to have ownership of SEN.
Translation: ex will rape your soul with excaliban if you're not a veteran and a staff member and try to buy SEN.
Not even. Because I shouldn't have it, nor should (just for example) Nude or Will or Voyager. Notice Nude is probably level with me on highest GM, Will is a pillar of the community, and Voy is another pillar that I have the utmost respect and admiration for, and yet I can easily say none of them should have it.

Owning SEN is a big deal. We've had a lot of problems here in the past due to the community and its managers not being respected properly. SEN does a very good job of policing itself and promoting moderators from within the community. I think a lot of us take for granted how SEN works and don't realize how different things are at a lot of sites. SEN has never been able to be bought, not in ownership, and certainly not for the respect of the community. But SEN's rankings and structure only work if no one is exempt from it, and paying the bills does not grant one an exception. This is why we must be vigilant and make sure that whoever takes over is not only reliable enough to pay the bills but understands and respects the way SEN works.

Just because someone can doesn't mean they should.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Feb 7 2012, 5:46 pm Malpheus Post #24

You guys might not know me that well, but I have a vps setup on my dedi, wouldn't be a problem hosting on my server. I have been catering to custom maps, but would be very honored to help out here. Just let me know,

Msn: Malpheus
Bnet: Malpheus 292

Quite serious here, SEN is a big deal to alot of people.

I'm currently hosting a bunch of redirected URL's to a main forum:

www.bunkerwars.net
www.riskrevulsion.com
www.brokenalliances.com
www.12kingdoms.net
www.trifaction.net
www.fleetassault.com
and prolly double that.

I'm also the lead for the EAGLE project, a program being built to read bank files for global leaderboards in custom maps. You're welcome to ask for more references. I'm very interested and serious, would just want to help.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 7 2012, 6:05 pm by Malpheus.

None.

Feb 7 2012, 9:18 pm DevliN Post #25

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from O)FaRTy1billion[MM]
Where is Devlin in all of this? :( I want to see waht he has to say.
Been really sick.

I can take over payments and such. Discussion about this has since moved to the Staff Forum, but I'll leave this open in case anyone else has something new to add.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 7 2012, 9:26 pm by DevliN.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 7 2012, 9:42 pm The Starport Post #26

Shouldn't need to spend $30/month on a VPS, unless it's supposedly a really nice one (could have fooled me?).

None.

Feb 7 2012, 9:44 pm DevliN Post #27

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Shouldn't need to spend $30/month on a VPS, unless it's supposedly a really nice one (could have fooled me?).
I have unlimited hosting and bandwidth for my sites as is, so one thing I'll be looking into is perhaps just transferring everything over to that instead rather than paying for two separate bills.

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 7 2012, 9:59 pm Sacrieur Post #28

Still Napping

Does this mean we can fix the search function?

None.

Feb 7 2012, 10:11 pm TiKels Post #29

Quote from DevliN
I can take over payments and such. Discussion about this has since moved to the Staff Forum, but I'll leave this open in case anyone else has something new to add.
This is just as much our site as yours, we shouldn't be left out on such an important decision.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Feb 7 2012, 10:13 pm Dem0n Post #30

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I really don't think this is "such an important decision." IP's been gone for a year and we've managed just fine. Devlin will more than likely take over, and we all knew that from the beginning, so it doesn't really matter.

Feb 7 2012, 10:16 pm lil-Inferno Post #31

Just here for the pie

Quote from TiKels
Quote from DevliN
This is just as much our site as yours, we shouldn't be left out on such an important decision.
It's just going to end up with some other guy, who is not you, paying $30/month, it's not too big of a deal.

Feb 7 2012, 10:27 pm Fire_Kame Post #32

wth is starcraft

I think it goes without saying that I want to own the site.

I think it also goes without saying that doing so would probably piss off a lot of people. like ex.

But if there's anything I can do to alleviate fears I will do it, just state them.

Feb 7 2012, 10:30 pm DevliN Post #33

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from TiKels
Quote from DevliN
I think you're making a bigger deal about this than it is. When Yoshi passed the payments to IP, it wasn't some big communal discussion for everyone to weigh in on. In this case, we think it would make the most sense for a staff member to take over payments, hence why the discussion moved to the Staff Forum. SEN has always been community-driven, but at the same time we have a lot of staff members who have spent years volunteering their time to this site. So forgive me if I disagree that the site is as much yours as those who have worked on it behind the scenes. :/

My Overwatch addiction.

Feb 7 2012, 10:40 pm Sacrieur Post #34

Still Napping

IT IS MINE. ALL MINE. NONE OF YOU CAN HAVE ANY.

None.

Feb 7 2012, 10:42 pm Fire_Kame Post #35

wth is starcraft

Quote from Sacrieur

Knock the crap off.

I was being serious, for the record, and this type of comment is why the discussion is moving to the staff forum.

Feb 7 2012, 10:43 pm Dem0n Post #36

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Unfortunately, Kame, if we were to have a vote, Devlin would probably win 99% of the votes. :/

Feb 7 2012, 10:47 pm Fire_Kame Post #37

wth is starcraft

I would imagine first off none of us would vote, and second off if DevliN truly wanted it I'd drop out. >_>

Feb 7 2012, 11:02 pm Positively Post #38

:( Byebye IP, thanks for hosting SEN for everyone here for such a long time. Hope you still log in from time to time to see how everyone is doing!

None.

Feb 7 2012, 11:08 pm Sacrieur Post #39

Still Napping

Quote from Fire_Kame
Quote from Sacrieur

Knock the crap off.

I was being serious, for the record, and this type of comment is why the discussion is moving to the staff forum.

Admit it, DevliN is the only one we should really trust the site to. He's got the record as an administrator to prove his responsibility and dedication to the website. And as he says, it's not really that big of a deal.

I don't know why we're discussing this further.

None.

Feb 7 2012, 11:21 pm Fire_Kame Post #40

wth is starcraft

That's fair. I mean, many people own companies silently and let their managers do the work, and the owners make a percentage of sales. It isn't typical that the owner has a huge hand in day-to-day operations.

But since there is no profit to be had here, I'd assume that the owner should be invested in the site's well being in some way. It'd follow that it'd be owned by someone who has history with the site OR has an awesome knowledge base on the community or game, OR in some way can both grow the site (ie has an interest, or experience in, social networking or coding that has been tried several times and has failed), or, hell, at this point anyone with an above average sense of dedication.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum