Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Rate My Terrain
Rate My Terrain
Jan 4 2012, 2:06 am
By: Tempz
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jan 6 2012, 10:54 pm Lanthanide Post #21

Quote from Lanthanide
There's quite a difference between a tree that has been decorated tastefully and one that has so much tinsel and glitter on it that you can't actually see the tree any more.

Quote from Pr0nogo
I think you're just jelly because you can't doodad like I can. >;D
Blank terrain is bland and indicative of a gross lack of effort. Ew. No thanks.
Disagree. Knowing when to stop is a large part of aesthetics.

You simply have a different aesthetical taste to me, that's all.

None.

Jan 6 2012, 11:22 pm Pr0nogo Post #22

Leaving an area blank isn't knowing when to stop, it's not putting any effort in. You can't justify a blank area by saying "well I knew where to stop!", because you never started. derp

Jan 6 2012, 11:31 pm Moose Post #23

We live in a society.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Leaving an area blank isn't knowing when to stop, it's not putting any effort in. You can't justify a blank area by saying "well I knew where to stop!", because you never started. derp
Lathanide said nothing of not starting. There is a difference between "too many" and "too much" and "knowing when to stop" versus "not starting" and "leave it blank" and "don't place anything". At this point, you're denying yourself understanding of Lathanide's opinion to be smug.

Jan 6 2012, 11:34 pm Lanthanide Post #24

If you gave me your map I'd edit it to show you what I mean.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 12:47 am Pr0nogo Post #25

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Lathanide said nothing of not starting.
Quote from Lanthanide
It is allowable to have blank open ground, you know.

Jan 7 2012, 1:01 am Oh_Man Post #26

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Quote from Tempz
Having doodad makes it look more decorated that's the point... terrain is like a Christmas tree i mean who wants a tree without anything on it.
Fckin THIS!

Jan 7 2012, 1:08 am Moose Post #27

We live in a society.

Quote from Pr0nogo
Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Lathanide said nothing of not starting.
Quote from Lanthanide
It is allowable to have blank open ground, you know.
We interpret "allowable" differently. Where does it say that all ground should all be blank and open? Where does it say that ground should even generally be blank and open? He says this ground, which is blank and open, is allowed.

At this point I feel you're being argumentative for the sake of being so, so if you reply to this with another shot at being "right", don't expect to hear from me.

Jan 7 2012, 3:14 am Dem0n Post #28

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Pr0nogo
Seriously. Blizzard's so-called "natural doodads" are nothing more than like two green lines sprouting out of one tile to form some bullshit plant. I personally believe that grouping different plant doodads close together makes the dirt look a hell lot more interesting and detailed.

Jan 7 2012, 7:07 am alaska Post #29

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just started experimenting with blending, learning to stack ect. I though this ramp wasnt bad.
EDIT: You all do some pretty skillful work

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 7 2012, 5:09 pm by alaska.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 8:58 am Tempz Post #30

You forgot to rate the last work w/e here you go.
6/10 for ship doodad

None.

Jan 7 2012, 11:38 am DevliN Post #31

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Quote from Pr0nogo
Seriously. Blizzard's so-called "natural doodads" are nothing more than like two green lines sprouting out of one tile to form some bullshit plant. I personally believe that grouping different plant doodads close together makes the dirt look a hell lot more interesting and detailed.
You can make terrain look great by just using the actual doodads, though. We've become so damn obsessed with the desire to use sprites and custom doodads. I actually agree with Lanth in all this, cluttered terrain doesn't look that good and I do see how Pronogo's terrain would fall into that category. Sometimes blank space is crappy, sure, but you don't need a pile of bones or rocks every few tiles to make up for that. I know this is blasphemous to say at this point, but I really don't like Crescent Dyne's doodad/sprite placement at all, for example.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 7 2012, 12:39 pm Tempz Post #32

Well its common for maps to "have too many doodads" its a trend most maps like dyne started... is it overly loud bright yes but sometimes you have to be loud to be heard. But i do agree that doodads have become overused.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 5:33 pm alaska Post #33

In my opinion, it depends on what the map is supposed to be. If you want natrual looking terrain they the use of doodads should be various. Theirs blank open ground in the real world, theirs dense and rather thin forrest in the world, sane with resurrect packed with rocks close togeather, and scattered apart.

What I'm sayin is have some spots cluttered with doodads is ok as long as you vary them, won't hurt anythink. Doodads can really spice up a terrian if you can lay them out natrual. If your going for a crazy map that makes no sense, then use doodads as needed.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 7:17 pm Kaias Post #34

You fools never rated my dinky ridge.

To weigh in on the discussion, I don't think its blasphemous to anyone to say that Crescent Dyne's terrain, while well made, isn't especially aesthetically pleasing (an opinion I share). I agree that a lot of terrainers tend to place an excessive amount of doodads to the point where it doesn't even look navigable. My greatest issue with Crescent Dyne was the fact that it was just a continuous mess of water and dirt; none of it looked unique enough that you could tell where you were without looking at the minimap.

The problem with Pronogo's terrain isn't the doodads, though. There are long straight cliff sides mixed with jagged-edged cliffs that look very unnatural. The transition from dirt to high dirt on the upper elevation is a straight line that is simply tacky and also serves to make the level visually irritating, like an optical illusion. To be fair, its very difficult for anyone to pull off the "dirt replacing high dirt cliffs" in my opinion.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 7:35 pm alaska Post #35

What would you rather see: perfectly blended stacked cliffs that have no blocks but little variety in tile differences. Or slightly blocky, copy and paste stacked terrain, that is always changing? After I started useing individual tile for blending, I can't help but to see individual tiles even with in unedited terrain...so how long should you focus and blend your terrian? Untill it all looks unnatural to your eyes?

None.

Jan 7 2012, 7:51 pm DevliN Post #36

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

I'd rather see blended terrain. Of course we all see the individual tiles after a while, but you can still tell the difference between smooth-looking blended terrain and blocky terrain. You should look at the old Terrain Hall of Fame thread and see some of the things our members have made over the last decade (or at least close to a decade :awesome:). There's a lot of stuff in there that is blended really well.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jan 7 2012, 8:12 pm alaska Post #37

Yes the hall of fame has great terrian. (not all links work) it is what inspired me to try stacking some terrian and making a few edited ramps.

None.

Jan 7 2012, 8:15 pm Tempz Post #38

Kaias i rated your terrain... in the latest review it says "ship doodad".

Although i didn't post a terrain piece because he already did one for me.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 7 2012, 8:22 pm by Tempz.

None.

Jan 8 2012, 7:32 pm payne Post #39

:payne:

I just felt the need to mention that I personally love Crescent Dyne's doodad'ing style. :awesome:

None.

Jan 8 2012, 7:33 pm Mp)HellFire Post #40

Payne has a messy room I bet

Anyways on topic, that terrains a little blocky alaska but its pretty good for a someone doing it the first time. you just gotta smooth out the top of it.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum