Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: The Hunt v2
The Hunt v2
Dec 3 2011, 6:33 pm
By: The Starport
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4

Jan 8 2012, 11:24 pm Oh_Man Post #61

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Ever think of doing this for the creep colonies?:

Location following prey constantly.
If creep colony gets in range of this location=
preserve move a burrowed unit on prey (slowing its movement speed).

Jan 9 2012, 12:43 pm The Starport Post #62

I have, but not for the creep colonies. When I get it added, I'll describe what I had in mind.

None.

Jan 10 2012, 1:58 pm The Starport Post #63

Alright, here's what I got:
  1. Corrupt changed to Trap. Places 8 hydras (lurkers probably move too fast) that crowd onto the Prey when near, potentially trapping him (or at least obstructing him). Can be killed by attacking (tedious), explosives, or Caustic Mix (see below). Hunter can pass through them freely (via. trigger magic), pathfinding permitting. Costs 20 gas.
  2. Prey has 3 new mixes. The first is a Caustic Mix (A+A, spawns 3), which weakens locks and rubble to half HP or destroys traps on use.
  3. The next is Adhesive Mix (B+B), which is dropped in a trail behind the Prey and slows the movement of anything that walks through it. Each splotch disappears when traversed by either player, which means stacking isn't really possible, and probably won't do much of anything useful.
  4. The last is Illuminant Mix (C+C), which casts vision for Prey AND Hunter when within range. Does not move, but can be destroyed.

Working on the levers now...

Post has been edited 10 time(s), last time on Jan 10 2012, 2:38 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 11 2012, 3:32 am Pr0nogo Post #64

Quote from name:Tuxlar
destroys traps on use

:hurr:

Jan 15 2012, 3:46 am The Starport Post #65

Alright, I've skimmed off a few elements (like the extra mixes, since they aren't critical for the core gameplay), but I believe I'm basically ready for alpha testing now.

Recent changes:
  1. The exit gate has 5 layers with 5 levers available to remove them.
  2. Each lever is rusty and has a 1/16 chance of activating on each attempt, otherwise it just makes a noise and gives a short retry cooldown.
  3. Applying lube to a lever enables one-time use activation at the cost of the lube item.
  4. Alternatively, using explosives on the exit gate can remove a layer at a time.
  5. For the Prey, simply moving the shuttle now invokes any relevant context actions: Toggling a door, applying lube, using a key, attempting lever pull, picking up/dropping a rock, etc.
  6. Mixes, again, are now browsed and selected from a list of available options based on held ingredients.
  7. Prey can hold up to 7 ingredients, now.
  8. Don't think I'm making the Prey's job easier, though. For instance, while being chased, the Prey cannot use bunkers. Bunkers and door hinges are now weakened, as well.
  9. Hunter now places sticky traps instead of a Creep/Sunken colony.
  10. Hunter's mana generates very slowly, but can be bolstered by successful use of Cry and by chasing the Prey.
  11. With the upcoming fork, I'll experiment with making the Hunter invincible. Should be interesting. :)

So, that's approximately it so far. Hope my triggers decide to behave, now.

None.

Jan 15 2012, 5:37 am Pr0nogo Post #66

Let me know if you want to test. This is a fun game to play with friends.

Jan 17 2012, 11:26 pm The Starport Post #67

Well, here's your chance. :awesome:

v2 changelog:
  1. Prey: Items are now picked up and dropped by shooting them.
  2. Prey & Hunter: Players now spawn in anti-newb cubbies. Figuring out how to get free is mandatory.
  3. Prey: Shuttle move is now a general-use context action: It opens doors, unlocks locks, lubes rust, pulls levers, and picks up rocks.
  4. Prey: Rocks are now carried (and dropped) as items.
  5. Prey: Multiple keys exist on the map, and each lock consumes one on use.
  6. Prey: Max inventory increased to 6.
  7. Prey: Mixes are now handled by browsable shuttle menu.
  8. Fix: Door obstacles cannot be "pushed" off by prey's items.
  9. Fix: Rubble now removes the hinge of the door it occupies; rubble destruction removes the door.
  10. Prey: Hiding spots reduced to 400 hp and no longer burn.
  11. Observers: 2nd observer slot added.
  12. Hunter: Attune is now a passive, non-mana using ability.
  13. Hunter: Attune now indicates distance to prey, but not position.
  14. Prey & Hunter: Sounds now indicate distance from source, but not position.
  15. Hunter: Removed 'Corrupt' ability.
  16. Hunter: Prey can now be 'chased', which prevents them from entering bunkers.
  17. Hunter: Armor increased to 1. A bit more hardy against attacks, now.
  18. Prey: Gate Switch and its locator removed.
  19. Prey: 4 Gate Levers (rusty) added. 1 for each layer of the exit gate.
  20. Prey: Exit gate layers can also be peeled away with explosives.
  21. Hunter: Cry now costs 5 mana, but rewards 10 mana upon hitting the Prey within range.
  22. Hunter: Cry pings the Hunter's position, but drains 10 sanity from the Prey on hit.
  23. Hunter: 'Trap' ability added. Placed 7 'Sticky Material' units that Hunter can pass through, but stick to Prey.

Download v2.0
Trigedit (commented) triggers available by request.

Note: This is NOT the fork version where the hunter is invincible. That's coming up soon.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 17 2012, 11:32 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 18 2012, 1:14 am Raitaki Post #68

I see that lube is only used up when applied onto levers, but is reusable on rusty doors. I'm guessing that is intentional =o
Even though you added armor to hunter, I think you should add a message to Hunter telling them it's useless to try to attack bunkers while Prey is inside. I've had almost every Hunter I played with (including lil) try to attack mah bunker and only stop after I've screamed "HAY YOU SHOULDN'T ATTACK MAH BUNKER"" like at least twice and losing like half their heath :\
You should make the lever-pulling-without-lube message less ambiguous. When I read it, I kept thinking that levers can't be operated at all before being lubed, until a guy asked me about hearing a sound right as I interacted with an unlubed lever.
You should ensure that at least one of the side passages that connect the 2 halves of the map does not contain rocks OR rubble to allow prey to cross to the other side without using unstable mix or getting cried at many times while moving rocks if Hunter is camping in the middle.

All of those feedbacks are from the v2.0 beta btw :P

None.

Jan 18 2012, 1:36 am The Starport Post #69

I haven't addressed any of those since beta. I probably won't spell too many more things out for the players than what I've already done, simply because I want to leave some things as rewards for players who use their noggin.

I do agree the map randomizer could do with some anti lulz measures, which is another thing I'll address with v2.1. Also, since I'm merging the fork, the hunter won't have to worry about dying anymore, either.

None.

Jan 18 2012, 3:57 pm The Starport Post #70

Alright, here's what I've lined up for v2.1 (when I get around to it):
  1. Invincible hunter. Just gonna go for it. Play earlier version if you want the pvp.
  2. 3 new mixes for prey:
    1. Caustic mix - Destroys traps, rocks, weakens locks and rubble. 3 uses per mix.
    2. Adhesive mix - Creates a trail behind the prey that slows movement of any units. Useful for escaping the hunter. Eventually dissipates. Disappears when either player walks over it.
    3. Illuminant mix - Casts vision (as air unit) when any player is near. Might be useful for tactics. Eventually dissipates. Can be destroyed. Can be moved.
  3. Prey now has heartbeat sound indicating current state and sanity. I might even make their sanity a hidden variable (not gas).
  4. Additional effects occur when low on sanity: Item mixing fails randomly, prey makes random noises for hunter to hear (whimpers or something)... anything else?
  5. Cry now serves the purpose of detecting if Prey is inside a given hiding spot or not.
  6. Anti-lulz measures with world randomization.
  7. Observer players can now look through Hunter or Prey perspective.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Jan 18 2012, 6:55 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 22 2012, 1:00 am Oh_Man Post #71

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

for sanity there could be periodic bursts of slow movement speed. You could see hallucinations of the predator running at you. You could hear hunter noises/pings when in fact there are none. You know... all this basic hallucinatory stuff.

Jan 22 2012, 1:08 am Raitaki Post #72

With invinc hunter, what's stopping the Hunter from setting a trap around the prey's hiding spot then stand there attacking bunker until the prey runs out of ingredients for caustic mix?

None.

Jan 22 2012, 11:45 pm The Starport Post #73

The goal is to use hiding spots for hiding. If you're discovered, you make a break for it.

None.

Jan 23 2012, 12:46 am Raitaki Post #74

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
The goal is to use hiding spots for hiding. If you're discovered, you make a break for it.
Hmm I see...Then I guess hunter is allied with prey and would have to a-click then? Otherwise it defeats the purpose if Hunter a-moves around and autoattacks when he gets near the prey's bunker.

None.

Jan 23 2012, 1:16 am The Starport Post #75

Or just ally when Prey is inside a bunker... assuming that won't make an exploit for the Hunter to know when the Prey is hiding...

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 23 2012, 1:26 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Jan 23 2012, 1:35 am Raitaki Post #76

How bout making the Prey's bunker invincible til the Hunter gets next to it?

None.

Feb 3 2012, 5:46 am The Starport Post #77

Uh, because that's even more detectable?

Give me a few more days and I'll get on the next version. This map isn't done until I say it's done! :massimo:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Feb 3 2012, 9:34 pm by Tuxedo-Templar. Reason: typo

None.

Feb 4 2012, 3:05 am Pr0nogo Post #78

It still says 'check your mission objectives for valuable information' or something along those lines at start-up.

Feb 4 2012, 3:12 am The Starport Post #79

Is that a problem?

None.

Feb 4 2012, 3:24 am Raitaki Post #80

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
Uh, because that's even more detectable?

Give me a few more days and I'll get on the next version. This map isn't done until I say it's done! :massimo:
You mean if Hunter click and check HP of every bunker he passes by? I think that's still less detectable than allying Prey while he is in a bunker or just leaving it as is allowing Hunters to a-move around hoping to come across Prey's bunker :3

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4
  Back to forum