Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Making Money (For a friend.) [Resolved]
Making Money (For a friend.) [Resolved]
This topic is locked. You can no longer write replies here.
Jun 13 2011, 8:00 am
By: M-RP)Dreamscape
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jun 17 2011, 4:04 pm NicholasBeige Post #21

Quote from name:Blur
17, if I remember correctly, there haven't been any birthdays so yes, 17. But she mentioned not wanting to spend five years paying off a loan.

So you'll just simply give her between £3000 and £9000?

I gotta agree with this:

Quote from BiOAtK
Yeah, this really sounds like you're being taken advantage of...

Besides, university is free at the point of entry - like CaptainWill said. You are only required, by law, to repay the loans once you start earning over (I think) £28,000 a year, and the loans do not accrue interest until you start earning over that thresh-hold. Most people I know are smart and simply work part-time while in university and save money, 90% of them are completely debt free before they start earning over the threshold, or are completely debt free after their first 3 or 4 paychecks.

Also, what's going to happen when this girl wants a car? Or a flat, or a house? Debt is a part of life these days, tell her to get real and accept it.

None.

Jun 17 2011, 6:45 pm M-RP)Dreamscape Post #22

Quote from name:Cardinal
17, if I remember correctly, there haven't been any birthdays so yes, 17. But she mentioned not wanting to spend five years paying off a loan.

So you'll just simply give her between £3000 and £9000?

I gotta agree with this:

Quote from BiOAtK
Yeah, this really sounds like you're being taken advantage of...

Besides, university is free at the point of entry - like CaptainWill said. You are only required, by law, to repay the loans once you start earning over (I think) £28,000 a year, and the loans do not accrue interest until you start earning over that thresh-hold. Most people I know are smart and simply work part-time while in university and save money, 90% of them are completely debt free before they start earning over the threshold, or are completely debt free after their first 3 or 4 paychecks.

Also, what's going to happen when this girl wants a car? Or a flat, or a house? Debt is a part of life these days, tell her to get real and accept it.

I can give you the full story if you'd like to hear it. It's really not something I am comfortable posting in an open topic, but I do know her really on a deep, personal level. I've grown to have a lot of trust, and, the fact that she doesn't like people helping her may add into it. This is going to be a surprise, and since you've mentioned being taken advantage of, how can she if she doesn't know? Not wanting to start a separate discussion here or an argument, I'm just saying. You guys are pretty damn smart, so I'm sure I can be proven wrong on that point.

None.

Jun 17 2011, 7:33 pm Vrael Post #23

Just so you know for sure, Blur, ClansAreForGays is a super-troll and will not be giving you any free money. I made up that account number for paypal by typing random numbers. I thought the joke was obvious but I guess not.

Edit: Also, can I get in on this british school system stuff? It sounds much friendlier than what I'm going through. You don't have to actually be british do you? :(

None.

Jun 17 2011, 8:10 pm M-RP)Dreamscape Post #24

Quote from Vrael
Just so you know for sure, Blur, ClansAreForGays is a super-troll and will not be giving you any free money. I made up that account number for paypal by typing random numbers. I thought the joke was obvious but I guess not.

Edit: Also, can I get in on this british school system stuff? It sounds much friendlier than what I'm going through. You don't have to actually be british do you? :(

Lawl, I was expecting that. Thanks for letting me know.

None.

Jun 17 2011, 11:32 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #25

Whether or not doing this is a good idea aside, it seems like you are trying to come up with something like $10,000.. there is no "secret" way to get that kind of money. Anything that promises it has a catch. $10,000 is a lot of money and you won't be able to earn it overnight. Even at better-than-minimum wage internship-level pay it would take months to do that. The most solid job offers are usually summer internships with companies, but this generally requires being at least an enrolled undergraduate in a useful degree.

Tell me about it. Two hundred grand is quite a sum of money..

None.

Jun 18 2011, 10:12 am Lanthanide Post #26

Um, you do realise that you have to pay 9000 quid per year, right? And most degrees are 3 or 4 years long, right? So the figure you're wanting won't even cover her full education.

This is going to be a surprise, and since you've mentioned being taken advantage of, how can she if she doesn't know?
Have you considered that she actually may not want the money, if you attempt to give it to her? Have you considered tax implications? Have you considered that just because she hasn't asked for it, doesn't mean that she isn't manipulating you?

I know that you think you're trying to do some wonderful thing for this girl, but:
1. You are almost certainly not going to be able to get anywhere near the amount of money you want from a non-traditional job. Certainly earning that amount of money at a job would take a while on the minimum wage, and you're not going to find 'easy' work on 'the internet' that pays higher than a minimum wage job. Do you really think people would be working in retail or restaurants if they could just sit back at home and earn more? Get real.
2. You're being hopelessly naive.

Seriously, stop trying to think that you're some white knight in shining armor going to save a poor girl from having to grow up and act like an adult and take care of her own life and her own education. If she wants an education, she'll get it, and have to pay the debt back. If anything, having some random stranger pay for her first year of education might just make her take it for granted, and push her in a path she wouldn't otherwise have gone.

Most likely in a few years time you'll remember back to these ideas of yours and realise how silly you were being.

IMO this thread should be locked, it's not going to go anywhere productive.

None.

Jun 18 2011, 10:40 pm M-RP)Dreamscape Post #27

Response to Lanthanide's post removed due to better judgment on my behalf to not take part in a argument that will solve nothing.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2011, 3:21 am by Blur.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 1:41 am Apos Post #28

I order you to forgive yourself!

[Removed what doesn't apply anymore now that the above post was edited.]

If you are serious about getting the money, you will surely find a way to get it. You can probably find a lot of little works to do at a lot of different places. If you are good with computers, there is a lot you can do. (I remember a couple years ago, I would get paid for making powerpoints.)

Also, an easy way to get fast money is to teach someone else something you are good at. You are good at playing piano? Teach it.
If you have a mower, offer to cut other people's grass.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 19 2011, 4:17 am by Apos. Reason: Removed stuff

Jun 19 2011, 2:49 am Tempz Post #29

To expand on what Apos said.

-Create an app and sell it (already stated earlier)

-Create a website that will become popular then put ads on it to gain revenue (try to fill a niche no one has filled) Also this is very risky

-Gold farming (also already stated)

-If your good at making videos you could potentially sell ad space on your videos

-If your good at writing you can show it to a publishing company and get them to advance you some money for the book contract (exclusive rights)(I've tried this and its very hard to get in but once your there its all gravy) This is one of those gray areas as i know your too young to be taken seriously but i'm younger than you and i'm trying to write. (although i'm a good writer i need someone to edit my stuff =p)

-If your good at drawing you can sell you pictures, my friend when he was about 12 he sold pictures for about a couple bucks a piece

High risk option
Collapse Box

None.

Jun 19 2011, 3:19 am M-RP)Dreamscape Post #30

Quote from Tempz
To expand on what Apos said.

-Create an app and sell it (already stated earlier)

-Create a website that will become popular then put ads on it to gain revenue (try to fill a niche no one has filled) Also this is very risky

-Gold farming (also already stated)

-If your good at making videos you could potentially sell ad space on your videos

-If your good at writing you can show it to a publishing company and get them to advance you some money for the book contract (exclusive rights)(I've tried this and its very hard to get in but once your there its all gravy) This is one of those gray areas as i know your too young to be taken seriously but i'm younger than you and i'm trying to write. (although i'm a good writer i need someone to edit my stuff =p)

-If your good at drawing you can sell you pictures, my friend when he was about 12 he sold pictures for about a couple bucks a piece

High risk option
Collapse Box

These are all good suggestions, and I have several book ideas already in place. I've just yet to write them.

My topic has served it's purpose, and is ready to be closed. Thank you everyone for your numerous and interesting suggestions as a resolution to my issue. Your posts are all appreciated.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 3:50 am Tempz Post #31

No way, i have several book ideas as well; here some info that might help you.

http://listverse.com/2007/09/21/top-10-tips-for-great-writing/

2 important tips not stated in the list

-Make sure you have a good beginning a good middle and a good end becuase nothing is worst than someone in a book store reading the start and then says something like not going to buy this
-Make it somewhat relatable, people who read books want to relate to it in some say, e.g. Stephen king, most if of his books are horror books and it usually stars a everyday character like you or me who ends up in a situation

There are many other things that would make a book good and for each genre there has something specialized to it such as a intellectual thriller e.g. inception, its really makes you think.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 3:52 am M-RP)Dreamscape Post #32

Quote from Tempz
No way, i have several book ideas as well; here some info that might help you.

http://listverse.com/2007/09/21/top-10-tips-for-great-writing/

2 important tips not stated in the list

-Make sure you have a good beginning a good middle and a good end becuase nothing is worst than someone in a book store reading the start and then says something like not going to buy this
-Make it somewhat relatable, people who read books want to relate to it in some say, e.g. Stephen king, most if of his books are horror books and it usually stars a everyday character like you or me who ends up in a situation

There are many other things that would make a book good and for each genre there has something specialized to it such as a intellectual thriller e.g. inception, its really makes you think.

Thanks for that, I'll PM you about it, maybe we can exchange opinions on ideas/characters/ect.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 4:19 am Apos Post #33

I have been published about a year ago and it did not require too much work.

Jun 19 2011, 5:15 am DevliN Post #34

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Response to Lanthanide's post removed due to better judgment on my behalf to not take part in a argument that will solve nothing.
I checked your original post, and for the record it wasn't that bad. You defended yourself in a very mature fashion.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Jun 19 2011, 5:54 am M-RP)Dreamscape Post #35

Quote from DevliN
I checked your original post, and for the record it wasn't that bad. You defended yourself in a very mature fashion.

Thank you, I appreciate that very much.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 10:00 pm Lanthanide Post #36

Thank you, I appreciate that very much.
Since you've now removed it, I can't actually reply to anything you raised.

But I'll say this: if you thought that my original post was "nasty", or that your reply to my post was "nasty", then all I can say is that you're a very sensitive person.

My post was meant as a bucket of cold water to wake you up to reality, nothing more. You also didn't really get my use of the word "naive", I could've said "childish" or "grow up" but they don't really have quite the correct connotations. What I was going for is that you're 15, you don't really know much about how the world works (seriously, you don't) and your idea that you can easily make $$$ by doing easy work on "the internet" is a fantasy. Probably the only realistic way would be to make a popular cell phone application, but that is a matter of luck more than anything else (and the app needs to be unique and well-designed/written) and while early-adopters to the app store made a killing, johnny-come-lately's have a much harder time.

As for you being certain you aren't being manipulated - I was in a 5 1/2 year relationship which ended with me having to take out a loan and pay $23,000 cash out of my pocket due to the relationship property laws in New Zealand. So take it from someone who has experience - the person being manipulated is always the last one to work it out.

None.

Jun 19 2011, 10:08 pm ClansAreForGays Post #37

Quote from Tempz
-Make sure you have a good beginning a good middle and a good end becuase nothing is worst than someone in a book store reading the start and then says something like not going to buy this.
shortened to "Make sure your book is extra good from front to cover!" What worthless advice.
Also, having a good flap-summary is what sells your book.

Jun 19 2011, 10:44 pm Apos Post #38

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from Tempz
-Make sure you have a good beginning a good middle and a good end becuase nothing is worst than someone in a book store reading the start and then says something like not going to buy this.
shortened to "Make sure your book is extra good from front to cover!" What worthless advice.
Also, having a good flap-summary is what sells your book.
I agree, when I go to the library, what makes me come out with a book is what is written behind it. If I find the idea very good, I will likely read it.

[quote I Am Number Four]
Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.
[/quote]

Jun 20 2011, 1:19 am Tempz Post #39

Hmm point taken, but i also think the cover art/title helps a lot as well.

None.

Jun 20 2011, 1:24 pm CaptainWill Post #40

I pretty much agree with Lanthanide and Cardinal. Don't raise the money no matter how much you like this person. Either they are not very clued up about the UK higher education system, they're being stupid, or they're manipulating you to try and get cash. You will not be able to raise the £27,000 in fees it costs to put a person through an average length university degree, and I feel you will struggle even to make £9,000. Some people don't even earn that in a year - it's $14,500.

I'm sorry man, but that's the way it is - you have to be realistic. Tell her she can get her tuition funded by the government loan like everyone else.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum