Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Path of Exile
Path of Exile
May 22 2011, 7:44 am
By: Jack
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1011 >

Apr 6 2012, 8:44 pm Oh_Man Post #141

Find Me On Discord (Brood War UMS Community & Staredit Network)

Nah I'm getting the soundtrack... might have some decent songs for my RPG.

*Copyright enforcer breaks down door* "Oh shi--"

EDIT: Oh my GAWD you can pay $1000 for a 'diamond pack?' I'm guessing this beta will obviously keep all your stuff for the final game.

Apr 7 2012, 6:41 am poison_us Post #142

Back* from the grave

Quote from Riney
https://www.pathofexile.com/purchase

You can play without a beta key now for the wonderfully low price of 10$. Or 15$ and get the fucking soundtrack. Im tempted to do this even though I have a beta key.
Since you've got so much money pay me back for MW3 :awesome:

Apr 7 2012, 6:57 am Azrael Post #143

Quote from Oh_Man
Oh my GAWD you can pay $1000 for a 'diamond pack?' I'm guessing this beta will obviously keep all your stuff for the final game.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/25651/page/16#p391198

Apr 7 2012, 10:16 am Jack Post #144

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

All your stuff you buy with microtransactions will stay through to open beta; but any character resets would apply to you same as to everyone else.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 7 2012, 7:30 pm MadZombie Post #145

is 100 coins a lot? Whats the average price of things n the cash shop? Anyone else playing this? Will probably buy my beta access tonight. Post usernames maybe so we can party up?

None.

Apr 7 2012, 7:44 pm Jack Post #146

There's not much in the store yet, I think just an extra character slot and a larger stash.

My username's Birdie, I haven't played in a while due to no PC.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Apr 9 2012, 10:06 pm Oh_Man Post #147

Yer I played it... did not enjoy it. Got bored haven't even finished. Diablo 3 shat all over this.

Then again... this is more of an alpha than a beta... and this company is indie... whereas D3 had practically unlimited funds and time put into it.

And oh GOD THAT SKILL TREE WTF. Maximum zoom out still couldn't see the ends of it. Seems like there is no gold either... just a bartering system. Also the skill system was weird. Meh really I think compared to D3 it doesn't stand a chance, the graphics are good but I don't know if I would say 'better' just 'different'. Their graphics are more gritty whereas Diablo is going for the 'matte painting' style.

Apr 9 2012, 10:10 pm TiKels Post #148

There isn't supposed to be gold, and I would recommend that you read this, to understand why.

Skill tree is what allows for maximum customizability.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Apr 9 2012, 10:14 pm Oh_Man Post #149

Very illuminating read, cheers.

Apr 15 2012, 10:17 pm Jack Post #150

So apparently GGG has received over US$200,000 from opening their store early, and 13 people bought the $1000 package :0

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/165482.Path-of-Exile/news/138830.20120411.Kiwi-RPG-Path-of-Exile-secures-US-200-000-in-crowdfunding/?utm_source=forums&utm_medium=updates-list

Red classic.

Apr 16 2012, 12:36 am IskatuMesk Post #151

Lord of the Locker Room

Quote from Oh_Man
Their graphics are more gritty whereas Diablo is going for the 'matte painting' style.
Actually, I reckon D3 is doing the "2001 technology style" very well, what with the lack of any semi-recent features or anything, models lower poly than wc3, disgusting effects and bad animating. PoE on the other hand has even weaker animating, bad brush work, and uninteresting characters, on top of comparable bad SFX work. On the other hand, I like the Final Fantasy talent tree and decision to remove currency. Once they move out of conceptual stages and into alpha I think overall d3 will be totally destroyed by this game on every front (except for marketing and sales). But, until then, it's like watching two morbidly obese kids slap each other in a vat of lard.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 16 2012, 12:40 am Jack Post #152

An animator is one of the positions advertised on the GGG website, for good reason :P also they're constantly updating the art and will continue to do so after release, so it's by no means the finished product.

On that note, does D3 really not have any sort of normal maps? Because that's disgusting if so.

Red classic.

Apr 16 2012, 12:43 am IskatuMesk Post #153

Lord of the Locker Room

D3 has no normal maps, bump maps, emissive or anything of the sort. Also, after looking at their UV's, they could be making stuff double the detail it is with the same memory footprint they currently use. But, interns.

PoE has good particle effects and some nice textures, but their uv's are also pretty weak in a lot of places. Like I said, I'm interested to see what happens they reach major development checkpoints. D3 on the other hand, I've seen more than enough for a lifetime.

I also want to see how Grim Dawn turns out. Hopefully they stop blaming piracy for the clusterfuck that was Titan Quest and start putting in effort, or D3/PoE are going to just kill them before they get anywhere.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Apr 16 2012, 12:52 am Lanthanide Post #154

I don't really think you're being fair to D3. It's designed to run on graphics cards from 2006, with dozens of characters on screen all moving at the same time, as well as lots of over-the-top skill effects.

I'm sure they could have made it look more visually impressive if they wanted to, but that would have cut out a large portion of the market they're aiming at. If graphics really are that important to you, then I guess D3 just isn't the game for you. Personally I'm more a fan of gameplay than graphics.

None.

Apr 16 2012, 12:57 am IskatuMesk Post #155

Lord of the Locker Room

Diablo 3 had performance issues on my hardware, which it really shouldn't for how poor it looks. D3 doesn't compete graphically with any reasonable title I've played since the Playstation 2. If performance was so much of a concern they should have stuck to sprites and made a high-performance truecolor sprite engine. I think it's fair to expect the same kind of art experience out of a company like Blizzard that I can get out of any given indie developer at least.

Both D3 and PoE's gameplay are nothing noteworthy thus far, so there's nothing more to say there.

Apr 16 2012, 1:11 am Lanthanide Post #156

They've addressed performance of the beta here:
Quote from Kaltonis
Complaint: It let’s me in the game all right, but it’s in slow motion and not at all fun to have such low frame rates even with all of the settings turned down.

Answer: Bear in mind that the beta has its own FPS issues simply because it’s a beta; Diablo III won’t be optimized until release. My custom-built gaming system can’t play the beta smoothly either, but it will be fine on release. Blizzard betas are genuine betas, unlike the glorified demos that some companies refer to as a “beta”.

If performance was so much of a concern they should have stuck to sprites and made a high-performance truecolor sprite engine.
Except sprites take up huge amounts of space compared to 3D models. There are also gameplay limitations: things have to face 16/32 or whatever directions, all of which takes up space. 3D models can let you do many more things much more easily than can be done with sprites; for example in D2 we ended up with coloured weapons to represent fire/cold/whatever damage because they couldn't realistically add flame/frost/whatever effects to the sprites in a reasonable way. Also if they went with a sprite based game they'd likely get slated by reviewers who (justifiably or not) expect everything to be 3D these days.

None.

Apr 16 2012, 1:15 am IskatuMesk Post #157

Lord of the Locker Room

5/10 for the spring-to gut reflex, but I already know what blizzard's betas are just hype engines. Considering the performance issues sc2/d2/etc still have to this day, it's best for me to treat the game as-is.

/edit Oh boy, you edited. For sprites - you should look at the DCC format (I think it was DCC), because it was actually quite good. Sprites will be large if you have entire frames, but I believe that there are ways to compress sprites a lot more intelligently then that to save space. This kind of goes beyond my realm of know-how, though.

/edit 2

Ah yes, the reviewers and expectations of 3d engines. This is a loong subject and one that would make me very mad. Casuals and reviewers have already stripped games of their pride and potential.

/e 4

Oh, if you want to discuss this subject a lot more it might be best to switch to PM since this is kind of going off-topic now.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Apr 16 2012, 1:25 am by IskatuMesk.

Apr 16 2012, 1:29 am Lanthanide Post #158

Quote from IskatuMesk
/edit Oh boy, you edited. For sprites - you should look at the DCC format (I think it was DCC), because it was actually quite good. Sprites will be large if you have entire frames, but I believe that there are ways to compress sprites a lot more intelligently then that to save space. This kind of goes beyond my realm of know-how, though.
So now you're talking about implementing some potentially quite complicated sprite system, which could end up being more work than simply doing what they've done: a 3d model system that looks like it's from 2006 because it runs on 2006 hardware. Spending less time on the engine means they can spend more time working on the actual game, and as pointed out sprite systems have inherent limitations compared to model systems when it comes to effects that can be done (want to resize a monster? go make a whole new set of sprites!).

I think the answer to making the game look more modern is simply to bump up the minimum requirements. This in turn cuts their potential market down, which obviously they're trying to maximise - which is a sound business decision.

If this means you don't end up playing D3 because you apparently care so much about the graphics (and they look fine to me, once you turn on the ambient occlusion filter I mentioned in the Diablo 3 thread) then that's your choice. But dumping on Blizzard as if they're incompetent or something is frankly naive: they know exactly what choices they are making and have very good reasons behind them.

None.

Apr 16 2012, 1:34 am IskatuMesk Post #159

Lord of the Locker Room

I was mostly responding to graphics-related talks about PoE and how they were being compared to d3, pointing out that D3 in fact is leagues behind any competing game in graphical quality overall. If you want to talk about gameplay, by all means. I consider Blizzard some of the most incompetent developers in the industry, personally. Their marketing is the only worthy attribute they have left. They know how to milk fanboys.

/e - Also, DCC is from d2.

May 9 2012, 9:27 pm Jack Post #160

This week, we announced the Shadow, our Dexterity/Intelligence character class. He prefers to use fast-hitting weapons such as daggers or claws to dart in and out of battle, while laying Traps or Remote Mines and controlling the flow of combat with deadly spells. You can read more about the Shadow here: http://www.pathofexile.com/classes/shadow

We're opening up the Path of Exile Beta to everyone this weekend, May 11-13, so that we can stress-test our servers in preparation for entering Open Beta. This Open Weekend is the ideal time to invite your friends to play the game with you. The Shadow class will be playable from this weekend onwards.

The public weekend in March was a huge success and attracted 47,000 players. We're keen to try to push that limit! There's a list of frequently asked questions about the public weekend here: http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/

Today we deployed the 0.9.9 Beta patch, which has been described as the most important patch the game has ever had. In addition to adding ten new skills, four new support gems, a new quest, monster type and many bug fixes, it introduced a completely revamped monster AI and behaviour system. We're pleased to say that these changes have made Path of Exile more fun and challenging than it has ever been before.

Due to the substantial balance changes, we have migrated all existing Beta characters and items to the Legacy League (like we did with 0.9.8) so that there's a fresh economy and ladder in both the Default and Hardcore leagues.

This is a great opportunity for you to show your friends the Path of Exile Beta and play alongside them while exploring the new updates. We're hosting developer-run events at various times over the weekend, so you can show off the skills you acquired playing earlier versions of the Beta too.

Finally the new class! And open weekend again.

Oh and

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 9 2012, 9:36 pm by Jack.

Red classic.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 6 7 8 9 1011 >
  Back to forum