Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: TERRARIA
TERRARIA
May 14 2011, 9:23 pm
By: MadZombie
Pages: < 1 « 25 26 27 28 2936 >

Sep 13 2011, 11:02 am The Starport Post #521

Maybe there's a reason why they added silver bullets...

I hope someone solves my treasure hunt before the next version comes out. :(

Edit: Azrael, this is for you: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/traps-to-kill-people-limeth-tuts.22537/

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 13 2011, 11:52 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 13 2011, 4:05 pm Azrael Post #522

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar
I hope someone solves my treasure hunt before the next version comes out. :(

I will go look at it sometime today ^^

Quote from name:Tuxedo-Templar

Awesome, I'm glad there are some like-minded people :wtfawesome: I have designs that are much more sophisticated and others that are far simpler, yet I think they are all more effective as actual traps. My first priority in death trap design is to make the probability of triggering the trap as high as possible, and then reducing the chances of escape as much as possible, whether that is by limiting the victim's reaction time, or making it difficult to escape, or preferably a combination of both.

In that regard, I think the "tree surprise" trap is the most effective one listed, although the chances of someone triggering that don't seem that great unless you do something to instigate them. I would likely build a very small spawn house next to it that has a wooden table and sawmill inside, to increase the likelihood of them cutting it down. The house would be designed to also fill with lava when the trap was triggered, destroying the bed. That's assuming that I could find a tree that goes off the screen at all resolutions :P

The biggest problem with most of those traps is the fact they're too obvious and require direct purposeful action to trigger. Anyone could get around them by just hammering out the first door. My preferred method of tripwire-style traps has always been cobwebs, even before they were harvested via touch, you could still place a block underneath them that blocks the hallway, and when the person tries to mine it out they inadvertently set off the trap.

I think the best trap is still the Hellevator one under Smurf's cabin :awesome: It is a simple trap with infinite uses, and it's almost guaranteed to kill someone the first time they encounter it, regardless of their character's equipment or desire to escape. Also, I like the one in the tunnel right at spawn that utilizes light source placement, it's surprisingly effective :lol:

There was a mechanic in the OP I wasn't aware of though, and that was the "tricky platforms" one. I'll have to consider using that in a trap, as I think many potential victims would be surprised when the chain reaction started. Anyone who knows of the mechanic would be anticipating it as soon as they saw the setup though, there's really no way to hide that lol.

Speaking of which, I hope they implement overlay tiles at some point :kame: That would be awesome.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 13 2011, 4:43 pm by Azrael.Wrath.

Sep 13 2011, 6:45 pm Dem0n Post #523

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I don't understand that picture at all. :0_0: What is all that stuff?

Sep 14 2011, 4:08 am The Starport Post #524

The best trap is to sneak up on someone with an invisibility potion and throw a grenade at their face. :massimo:

None.

Sep 16 2011, 10:12 pm Azrael Post #525

Or dump lava on their head :P

Speaking of lava, someone built a bridge over the length of my lava ocean, dug out a huge hole in my man-made beach, chopped down all of my corrupted trees without replanting them, and littered the landscape with stone blocks and wooden platforms probably made out of said trees.

Oh sigh.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jan 17 2012, 4:44 am by Azrael.Wrath.

Sep 18 2011, 3:33 pm The Starport Post #526

http://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/kjjmv/megaproject_i_am_planning_on_recreating_a/

:wut:

None.

Sep 18 2011, 3:57 pm Dem0n Post #527

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

oh no :hurr:

Sep 18 2011, 4:03 pm Azrael Post #528

I want to see the inverted SotN castle.

Sep 19 2011, 11:18 pm Heinermann Post #529

SDE, BWAPI owner, hacker.

This is actually moving along pretty slowly... but here's something:

Check out the cool stone wall + grey brick wall combo! (It will appear like this in-game too)

BTW this was done using "File -> Import -> Corruption", which allows loading any file as a World.

I fixed several things and added some basic features (like mass drag/drop). Still no actual editing or zooming yet (and some missing graphics), but you can still open/view worlds, or create worlds by importing a "corrupted world", and export your world as a BMP. No liquid graphics yet.

You can try it out if you want, and give me as much feedback as possible, and an icon since it doesn't have one. Don't expect too much though.
[attach=8040]

If you get errors then please give the following information:
  • Operating System
  • Terraria version (are you using a pirated version then please include this as well).
  • The error message, if any.

Attachments:
TerrariaWorldComposer.zip
Hits: 2 Size: 266.35kb

Sep 20 2011, 1:02 am The Starport Post #530

Very nice. Works great for everything that appears to be functioning thus far.

Only minor suggestion I could make is to change the export bitmap color for stone to be a lighter grey, or perhaps use a non-white sky. I can see backgrounds aren't shown yet, though.

None.

Sep 20 2011, 1:06 am Heinermann Post #531

Yeah I have not yet drawn the background. It is a white background on export, and black background on drawing.
The colours chosen for image export and minimap are actually not specified (except for liquid and background). They are the average colours of the blocks themselves.

Todo list in no particular order:
- Backgrounds + depth locations
- Selection
- Cut/Copy/Paste
- Layers (Blocks/Backgrounds/Liquid)
- Objects (doodads), incl. signs/chests
- NPCs
- Undo/Redo buffer
- Create more than one view for the same world ("Close" and view options)
- Resize world option
- Set world bounds
- Change save world Yes/No to Yes/No/Cancel (allow one view to remain open)
- Treeview functionality + graphics
- Status Bar Graphics
- Plugin engine for generators and brushes

Additional Todo:
- Image to World

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 20 2011, 1:13 am by Heinermann.

Sep 20 2011, 1:47 am The Starport Post #532

Plugin engine? Neat. I could try making an uber dungeon plugin.

Edit: In other news,

src

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 21 2011, 1:31 am by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Sep 21 2011, 6:32 am LoveLess Post #533

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Disco Disco

None.

Sep 22 2011, 1:48 am Heinermann Post #534

Well there is one purple torch in the entire right-side-up Castlevania: SotN castle.
The white torch might be good for something too. The rest can just be ambient lighting.

Sep 23 2011, 6:10 am LoveLess Post #535

\

Source

None.

Sep 23 2011, 6:26 am UnholyUrine Post #536

Okay.. I haven't played Terraria for about 3 months now..
Things are almost unrecognizable

I'm starting to get excited and confused :3

None.

Sep 23 2011, 6:32 am The Starport Post #537

That isn't in the game (yet?). 1.1 isn't going to be out until December from what I've heard...

None.

Sep 23 2011, 6:32 am UnholyUrine Post #538

Awwww :C .. way to kill the excitment

None.

Oct 9 2011, 4:40 am The Starport Post #539

In other news, http://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/l5o6z/hardcore_speedrun_race_for_the_nights_edge/

With that, I think I'm officially done with Terraria (until 1.1... maybe).

None.

Oct 11 2011, 6:16 am LoveLess Post #540

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 25 26 27 28 2936 >
  Back to forum