Staredit Network > Forums > Games > Topic: Nation States
Nation States
Mar 15 2011, 4:21 am
By: Fire_Kame
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 817 >

Mar 21 2011, 8:18 pm poison_us Post #101

Back* from the grave

Quote from Jack
It used to be illegal to commit suicide. I was under the impression it still was. And you're missing ny point: what defines a civil right? Why are civil rights and what constitutes them constantly changing?
Suicide is illegal? Throw me in jail for killing myself, if you can convince a jury. I will even plead guilty. :rolleyes:

Civil rights are what protect citizens from the government and business. They're constantly changing because people want a bigger umbrella to keep their unchanging body dry.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 21 2011, 8:24 pm by poison_us.

Mar 21 2011, 8:24 pm payne Post #102

:payne:

Quote from poison_us
Suicide is illegal? Throw me in jail for killing myself, if you can convince a jury. I will even plead guilty. :rolleyes:
Yes it is. If you fail at your attempt, you are put in jail.

None.

Mar 21 2011, 8:25 pm poison_us Post #103

Back* from the grave

But if you failed, you didn't kill yourself, thus you cannot be tried for suicide. ATTEMPTED suicide, maybe in your backwards country, but that's not what is in question.

Mar 21 2011, 8:33 pm DevliN Post #104

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Suicide is illegal, as is "attempted" suicide. Just like murder is illegal, as is "attempted" murder. Yes, the technical idea of suicide being illegal is funny and illogical, but it being illegal is the reason why you can be institutionalized for attempted suicide.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 21 2011, 8:37 pm Decency Post #105

I'm sorry, but legality is not a basis for an argument about natural rights.

If someone in a sane and stable state chooses to commit suicide, I have no problems whatsoever with that. Read this story of Bill Zeller.

None.

Mar 21 2011, 11:16 pm Vrael Post #106

"An old supporter of yours has recently passed on, leaving a quite sizeable plot of land to you in his will - but only under a rather unusual condition: that the site be developed into a colosseum for hosting gladiatorial fights and other bloody spectacles."
""Actually, we could use this to our advantage," whispers Chief of Police, Bianca Frederickson. "Why not just force convicted criminals to fight for the amusement of the public? They'll be paying for their crimes, contributing to society, and totally freeing us of having to build jails to throw their useless hides in!""

YESSSS!!!!!!!!

None.

Mar 21 2011, 11:22 pm DevliN Post #107

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from name:FaZ-
Who are you responding to?

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 21 2011, 11:22 pm poison_us Post #108

Back* from the grave

Quote from DevliN
Suicide is illegal, as is "attempted" suicide. Just like murder is illegal, as is "attempted" murder. Yes, the technical idea of suicide being illegal is funny and illogical, but it being illegal is the reason why you can be institutionalized for attempted suicide.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation#United_States

By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification.
:kame:

Quote from Vrael
"An old supporter of yours has recently passed on, leaving a quite sizeable plot of land to you in his will - but only under a rather unusual condition: that the site be developed into a colosseum for hosting gladiatorial fights and other bloody spectacles."
""Actually, we could use this to our advantage," whispers Chief of Police, Bianca Frederickson. "Why not just force convicted criminals to fight for the amusement of the public? They'll be paying for their crimes, contributing to society, and totally freeing us of having to build jails to throw their useless hides in!""

YESSSS!!!!!!!!
FUCK.YES. WHEN DO I GET THIS???

Mar 21 2011, 11:24 pm DevliN Post #109

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from poison_us
Quote from DevliN
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_legislation#United_States

By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification.
:kame:
"In many jurisdictions, medical facilities are empowered or required to commit anyone whom they believe to be suicidal for evaluation and treatment."

That's what led me to believe that it was still illegal. I guess its funny that it isn't against the law, yet you can be forced to a different kind of jail for doing it. :rolleyes:

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 22 2011, 1:26 am Wing Zero Post #110

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from Vrael

YESSSS!!!!!!!!

Lol

Mar 22 2011, 2:06 am Jack Post #111

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from poison_us
Quote from Jack
It used to be illegal to commit suicide. I was under the impression it still was. And you're missing ny point: what defines a civil right? Why are civil rights and what constitutes them constantly changing?

Civil rights are what protect citizens from the government and business. They're constantly changing because people want a bigger umbrella to keep their unchanging body dry.
What defines protection though? Is the government protecting people when it attempts
To prevent suicide? What about murder? Should it be a civil right to kill people? And if it isn't, who's going to stop people? Oh yeah, the government and the legal system.

My point is that LAWS are supposed to be what protects people. Saying that you have a right to kill isn't going to save you from jail. I don't see why we should have civil rights anyway, if they can't protect us from the government.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Mar 22 2011, 2:35 am poison_us Post #112

Back* from the grave

Open a lite/serious discussion topic. You're clearly misunderstanding me, in any case, and I don't feel like derailing the topic to argue.

Mar 22 2011, 12:44 pm Decency Post #113

Quote from DevliN

Quote from DevliN
Suicide is illegal, as is "attempted" suicide. Just like murder is illegal, as is "attempted" murder.

Quote from Jack
It used to be illegal to commit suicide. I was under the impression it still was.

None.

Mar 22 2011, 2:48 pm Fire_Kame Post #114

wth is starcraft

armed police units patrol the roads late at night. Crime is moderate, and the police force struggles against a lack of funding and a high mortality rate
:hurr: I thought this would increase taxes and funding! AHHHH

Mar 22 2011, 6:19 pm DevliN Post #115

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from DevliN

Quote from DevliN
Suicide is illegal, as is "attempted" suicide. Just like murder is illegal, as is "attempted" murder.

Quote from Jack
It used to be illegal to commit suicide. I was under the impression it still was.
Mmkay. So where do I talk about natural rights, or in any way defend the "suicide is illegal" claim? I was responding to poison, who was making a distinction between "suicide" and "attempted suicide." Maybe you should have read the sentence following the part of my post that you quoted.

Also:
12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lesbian Nationalists, the country is preparing for war.
1 day ago: Following new legislation in Lesbian Nationalists, young children are regularly seen wagering pocket money at blackjack tables.
1 day 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lesbian Nationalists, the alarmingly racist TV show 'Bigtopians Say the Darndest Things' is a hit.
1 day 12 hours ago: Following new legislation in Lesbian Nationalists, organ donation is compulsory.

Best. Country. Ever. But only if you're the dictator... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 22 2011, 6:28 pm Decency Post #116

Jack, Poison and I were talking about rights. If you weren't, then why are you surprised that I'm calling what you're saying irrelevant to rights? You just said it was.

None.

Mar 22 2011, 6:36 pm DevliN Post #117

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Quote from DevliN
I was responding to poison, who was making a distinction between "suicide" and "attempted suicide."

And hey, on the topic of irrelevant, this is a thread about Nation States.

My Overwatch addiction.

Mar 22 2011, 6:41 pm Fire_Kame Post #118

wth is starcraft

80 minutes ago: Following new legislation in SunsSon, racial and religious segregation has become rife as the various groups are loathe to mingle.
WHAT DID I DO WRONG? Gawd I let them keep their own language and customs. It was either that or else assimilation.

Mar 22 2011, 8:20 pm Vrael Post #119

Jack, Poison and I were talking about rights. If you weren't, then why are you surprised that I'm calling what you're saying irrelevant to rights? You just said it was.
Yeah stfu and gtfo unless you have a nation on nationstates and are talking about legislation which takes away all of your country's rights.

and citizens simply have to point a weapon at a government official to get what they want.
Someone tried to assassinate me, so I cut taxes :D

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Mar 22 2011, 8:28 pm by Vrael.

None.

Mar 22 2011, 10:17 pm Decency Post #120

I have a nation, doing 2 issues, per day, and haven't encountered a realistic situation yet. =o

Quote from DevliN
And hey, on the topic of irrelevant, this is a thread about Nation States.

Guess what governments in Nation States establish!

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 4 5 6 7 817 >
  Back to forum