Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 Custom Maps > Topic: Diablo - Mortal Shroud
Diablo - Mortal Shroud
Feb 10 2011, 1:00 am
By: Ahli
Pages: < 1 « 28 29 30 31 3254 >

Jun 5 2012, 8:38 am Ahli Post #581

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Wing Zero
It looks like your map was featured by husky. I would post the link to it but I'm on my phone so yeah.
I will check it out later. I've just a few minutes time. :)
But I just saw another video covering it. I will scan it for feedback and the problems that the casters have while playing.

Like husky keeps clicking which is not efficient with the battle.net lag.

Jun 5 2012, 10:10 am Jack Post #582

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUugzb05bZU there it is

Yo ahli, are those my walls in your map still? I never did finish making the texture awesome did I... now that there's an m3 plugin for blender I should really get around to making stuff for you. Is there anything in particular you want? I think you had some stuff wanted but I've forgotten. Also, what kind of model or models do you want to replace the spidermine model?

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2012, 11:17 am by Jack.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 5 2012, 11:58 am Ahli Post #583

I do stuff and thingies... Try widening and reducing the number of small nooks and crannies to correct the problem.

Quote from Jack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUugzb05bZU there it is

Yo ahli, are those my walls in your map still? I never did finish making the texture awesome did I... now that there's an m3 plugin for blender I should really get around to making stuff for you. Is there anything in particular you want? I think you had some stuff wanted but I've forgotten. Also, what kind of model or models do you want to replace the spidermine model?
Yes, those are still your cathedral wall models. If you change them, the upper part of the wall which is a pane is to big. Just make the roundings higher :)
Also the texture for the corner parts is displayed to big on those.
Oh and I would love to have some details changing on the walls for different variations of these. Corbo made some for catacombs where some stones were falling out or missing and lying in front of the wall. Something like that would be cool, if you can imagine something that could be doable. Oh and make sure that the middle of the model is as it is used later on as the models are placed on a tile system.
I can send the models and the texture I used. That might be the best to start from I guess because I don't know how much Cardinal modified.

Spidermine replacement models have high requirements. They need to be good clickable (highlighting sphere size) and noticeable (something below them to give them mostly a round surface? :S).
My current implementation already differes between the item types: sword, blunt, axe, bow, staff, small healing potion, full healing potion (smae for mana & rejuvenation), relic of healing, relic of mana, scroll, book, quest item (while quest items could be improved to use unique models, too).

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2012, 12:11 pm by Ahli.

Jun 6 2012, 3:32 pm ClansAreForGays Post #584

I'm having REAL problems trying to download it in the arcade because of all the streaming crap

Jun 6 2012, 3:57 pm Ahli Post #585

Quote from ClansAreForGays
I'm having REAL problems trying to download it in the arcade because of all the streaming crap
Try to finish the sc2 stream in the launcher before starting the real game. Then you will only have my "mod" (map+mod files) (29mb) to download.
If you didn't finish streaming SC2 wants you to download approx 900mb for the archives that you didn't finish streaming.

Post your concerns at the Blizzard forums in their arcade threads. Maybe you want to carry over a quick thought I had: Show the player, if he is downloading the map+mod files OR streaming SC2 itself.
Also, I would like to disable the streaming during loading screen. It just takes to long for most people with my map and they are forced to quit the streaming due to a timeout because they delay the map loading for all other players.
Oh, and the leaving of the players during streaming isn't recognized fast enough. The players that stay in the game need to wait a long time which I guess is longer than required. It feels more like the default time of someone lagging out during loading screen on patch 1.4.2.

edit:
I just noticed that the party info screen is totally broken after my performance improvements (which basically required me to remake their code). I will fix that within the next few hours. Also I got an idea how to "simply" improve the buying speed of static items in the trade windows like potions/scrolls.
Stay tuned.

Dear Beta Player,

Also, please report obvious bugs to me in the map's channel and/or PM me. Lag/performance problems aren't bugs. So if the game feels clunky, it's mostly the reason of battle.net's delay and its architecture (synchronized game status which doesn't allow local-only triggers for UIs or something like that). I can't "fix" those. The game feels good in editor test mode (as the commands are executed without delay and e.g. moving quickly in a circle does indeed look like moving in a circle and not like you change the rotation after a small cooldown. That's caused by a limitation added by Blizzard to reduce the amount of traffic generated. I have no influence which updating speed is used.).

But errors like "param\value\..." are always wrong and just report them without thinking much about it. It's caused by localization problems because I forgot to change the editor's used language. Just tell me which button/image had it on it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Also I have an improvement for projectiles launched after an animation in my head. I will try to change the system to update the target point on the fly during the execution, if the player was holding the button down. I don't know how long that will take to change the system to support that. Might take me a day or two. :)
In addition to that I have an improvement to the loading/saving system of the dungeons in my head to speed it up, when it won't screw with players in multiplayer game. The saving can be improved in singleplayer, too. The loading screen might appear longer for some time after I added that, but I will try to perform all area unloading tasks to execute as fast as possible if every player is waiting in an area loading screen. The game might lag then for a few seconds, but the FPS should be more stable after entering the area then.

edit:
news:
- Published a new version on beta server fixing the party info and added faster buying for static items (scrolls, potions, relics) at Pepin & Adria.

edit:
I'm making improvements on the mouse UI. It will allow changes to the angle used for the commands. That will give you a short amount of time to change the direction of the projectile during the heroes animation. If you make a change, it won't be updated (like pressing/releasing left/right mouse button or shift key).
Also, the holding mouse without moving the mouse is buggy online. I'm looking into that problem now.

edit:
Problem for the mouse holding bug is the mouse move event which fires without having moved the mouse in online play. So if you click and keep holding the mouse next to your hero it just walks back and forth... -.-
This is new in patch 1.5. Now I wish that Blizzard adds a function to be able to differ between those 2 event occurrences.

edit:
- Added support for projectile shooting to correct the direction while the casting/shooting animation is playing. This should help aiming with arrows, firebolts, lightning, etc.

edit:
There is a problem with the interaction with some things like Gharbad. It can make you stuck in place.

edit:
news:
- Fixed a bug that kept you stuck at highlight-able neutral units.
- Fixed selling at GiIlian and price display.
- Fixed a bug that threw a trigger error when a unit with life steal hits.
- Fixed the mouse button ability choosing dialog not closing with ESC button.
- Fixed sound in quest log.

edit:
news:
- fixed portrait animation in Griswold's poisoned water supply talk
- Fixed a bug that made 120 monsters respawn to much per level before the respawn cap is lowered to 8 monsters. Respawn count is now: 0,7,20,28 depending on player amount with 60 monsters spawning at start on the level.

edit:
I'm fixing some things atm. I will update the map later.

news:
- Found a memory leak (text tags). Now they will be destroyed after fading.
- There seems to be a bug with ESC and trade windows which makes it stay open, if closed immediately after opening command. FIXED

edit:
- Blinks can cause the hero to blink around when it dies.
- There seems to be a bug with the stash and the belt leading to a missing potion. I will investigate this.

Post has been edited 15 time(s), last time on Jun 10 2012, 1:18 am by Ahli.

Jun 10 2012, 10:13 pm Ahli Post #586

I've narrowed down the performance problem with increased session length to the images that are drawn into the fog.
I tested that, if I scout all walls and doodads in the dungeon, the FPS are decreased to 5 on my computer. At map start my fps are 90 on high settings.

This means I need to find a way to save the visibility or I just remove the images in the fog.
Because I'm loading and unloading the dungeons anyway, I could recreate it perfectly, IF I can somehow track/check/get data about which units a player has seen and which the player hasn't seen. I could recreate it (except for minor exceptions) pretty well then.

Else I would need to remove all the images and you always start in a dark dungeon. :(

edit:
Hiding all actors in the dungeon region seemed to be ok for now in a small test. I'm implementing it for the complete dungeon loading/unloading system and test it on all available dungeons till now (approx 9k units with these actors).

edit:
Seems to work fine. Updating...

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2012, 2:24 am by Ahli.

Jun 11 2012, 9:38 am Ashenden Post #587

Just wanted to drop in and mention that I love the map. It's a really impressive recreation of Diablo. I hope you keep up the great work.

Edit: Just played the newest version co-op and it feels great, surprisingly little delay in the game and I wasn't host.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2012, 10:12 am by Ashenden.

None.

Jun 11 2012, 1:41 pm Ahli Post #588

Quote from Ashenden
Just wanted to drop in and mention that I love the map. It's a really impressive recreation of Diablo. I hope you keep up the great work.

Edit: Just played the newest version co-op and it feels great, surprisingly little delay in the game and I wasn't host.
I don't think that the host has any function after the lobby. ;D
The delay is caused by the game and its architecture. A portion of it might be caused by the latency you have to the server depending where you live because this beta is hosted in the US and not on your default gateway.
Some UI actions have other delays, too.

I just updated the map again.
news:
- added a tip and a ping for new heroes to make them find the dungeon
- making some stronger rare/champion monsters more hittable (massive/ghostly)
- made gargoyles going less into their healing mode (added cooldown).
- monsters won't spawn close to the default entrance stairs anymore after loading the area the first time.
- fixed shrine not updating potion's ground tooltip after changing them.

Jun 11 2012, 2:38 pm Ashenden Post #589

Quote from Ahli
I don't think that the host has any function after the lobby. ;D
The delay is caused by the game and its architecture. A portion of it might be caused by the latency you have to the server depending where you live because this beta is hosted in the US and not on your default gateway.
Some UI actions have other delays, too.
Ah, guess I am still used to WC3. No wonder I had almost no delay, the server is probably in Cali right next door to me.

None.

Jun 11 2012, 4:25 pm TVerres Post #590

Must be nice living in Silcon Valley. How's the weather over there now that it's hitting summer? It's been a while since I lived in CA.

Could you possibly implement something that allows us to see what shrine is in front of us when we put the mouse over it? I'm constantly running into those shrines that recloses the chests in a level right at the start, haha. Also, I'd love to know when the shrine that turns mana/health potions into rejuvinations. That way I can mass stock up on full potions and just have an entire inventory's worth of full rejuvinations. Seeing as you can't buy them, I feel like that's the only way to really get a lot of them. =P

Great job on the game though so far. I never actually thought I would see this come to life as it is. I used to play a Diablo 2 rpg map on Starcraft: Brood War. Unfortunately, it was nowhere near as good as how this turned out. That's a bit unfair due to different mapmaking tools, but the Diablo 2 game actually didn't give you items to use for more damage and such. It wasn't Diablo 2, it was just an RPG with Diablo 2 slapped on it and gave names to creatures and attempted to follow the actual story.. That's about it.

None.

Jun 11 2012, 4:41 pm Ahli Post #591

Quote from TVerres
Great job on the game though so far. I never actually thought I would see this come to life as it is. I used to play a Diablo 2 rpg map on Starcraft: Brood War. Unfortunately, it was nowhere near as good as how this turned out. That's a bit unfair due to different mapmaking tools, but the Diablo 2 game actually didn't give you items to use for more damage and such. It wasn't Diablo 2, it was just an RPG with Diablo 2 slapped on it and gave names to creatures and attempted to follow the actual story.. That's about it.
Thanks. :)
Seems like I can do a lot with proper tools. :D

edit:
news:
- added Whirlwind skill preview

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 11 2012, 9:17 pm by Ahli.

Jun 12 2012, 12:35 am RoHo Post #592

Hey Ahli,

Great job on the game man. I think it's amazing so far and I can only imagine how long it took for you to put everything together (even with other's help =D). I did have a bug that I screen shot. I was using lightning with my sorcerer, (spamming it) and then this bolt appeared on the ground. It kept making a machine-like noise whenever I got near, and it stayed there the entire rest of the map (with a wavy animation).

Another thing I noted was in the character stat screen, when you hover over Life and Mana absorption, the hover tip says, "___________ absorped" or something like that. Just wanted to let ya know that it should be "absorbed" with a "b" instead of a "p." :D

I want to play again as soon as possible, but right now I'm currently unable to get on starcraft, but I'll be back on asap! Thanks again for such a great game!

Hoping that I'll one day be able to play with my girl whenever blizzard increases their bank size!
Btw, I already posted in blizzards forum (2 places) about the bank sizes. Hope they fix it.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5596259283
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5738086574

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 12 2012, 12:49 am by RoHo. Reason: Edited formating and added links

None.

Jun 12 2012, 1:21 am Ahli Post #593

Quote from RoHo
Another thing I noted was in the character stat screen, when you hover over Life and Mana absorption, the hover tip says, "___________ absorped" or something like that. Just wanted to let ya know that it should be "absorbed" with a "b" instead of a "p." :D
Thanks for both bug reports. :)
It's a lightning. It shouldn't be there. I found the bug. It was caused by a trigger error due to a bug of me and trigger errors aren't displayed in the beta (which seems to be a bug on Blizzard's end because I set trigger errors to be displayed in my map). So basically the function was canceled before the lightning missile got the data (damage, target point, timed life, wall search) from my function. That's why it stayed there forever.

I had absorbed correctly in my comments directly above the text label code... :facepalm: fixed ;D

Also, thanks for your support reminding Blizzard of their bank limit/broken banks. :) I hope that this problem will be fixed soon due to higher requests. :awesome:

I'm currently creating a lightning trap spell/skill. Basically I try to create a lot of different skills with different effects. Some of these require me to add new functionality in my mouseUI system like whirlwind changing all input into move commands while active. My "engine" grows more powerful. :)

Jun 12 2012, 1:50 am Ashenden Post #594

UI bug that happened during a co-op game earlier today. Neither of us could see Purple's character on the group pane for the duration. The game launched with four players, but one disconnected either during load or before character selection.

None.

Jun 12 2012, 2:32 am Ahli Post #595

Quote from Ashenden

UI bug that happened during a co-op game earlier today. Neither of us could see Purple's character on the group pane for the duration. The game launched with four players, but one disconnected either during load or before character selection.
Fixed.
I will update later.

edit:
I've made a data table benchmark.
You can find it here.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 12 2012, 1:37 pm by Ahli.

Jun 12 2012, 5:40 pm TVerres Post #596

I haven't been able to get on recently, but hopefully the whole purple coloring thing on my end won't happen again. If it does, then I guess I'll reinstall the beta or something? You had said something before about streaming or letting SC2 fully download though, what is that? I don't think I saw anything about a stream or a download other than a download progress bar at the bottom when the game loads. Well, I'll give you an update on how that goes when it happens.

None.

Jun 12 2012, 7:13 pm Ahli Post #597

Quote from TVerres
I haven't been able to get on recently, but hopefully the whole purple coloring thing on my end won't happen again. If it does, then I guess I'll reinstall the beta or something? You had said something before about streaming or letting SC2 fully download though, what is that? I don't think I saw anything about a stream or a download other than a download progress bar at the bottom when the game loads. Well, I'll give you an update on how that goes when it happens.
If you start the patcher you either get a download bar or you get a text with "game is up to date". If you get a download, let it finish even if you could play some of the games already.

Jun 13 2012, 5:35 pm TVerres Post #598

Oh, I got it. Yeah, I always let that finish. I'm patient and it only takes like 3 seconds. So with that problem out of the way, what else could be causing it? I'll delete or backup my bank file and have it make a new one to see if that helps at all I guess. Couldn't hurt.

Edit: I'll have to do that in about an hour. I need to go eat some food before my stomach caves in on itself.

None.

Jun 13 2012, 6:33 pm Ahli Post #599

Quote from TVerres
Oh, I got it. Yeah, I always let that finish. I'm patient and it only takes like 3 seconds. So with that problem out of the way, what else could be causing it? I'll delete or backup my bank file and have it make a new one to see if that helps at all I guess. Couldn't hurt.
Bank files won't change the game graphics (unless some funny overflow in the program would cause that, but I don't think that's the case).

Maybe it's a graphic card driver issue. Try to update it because no other player had purple/pink textures afaIk.

Jun 13 2012, 7:38 pm RoHo Post #600

Found another bug I think. Sometimes when I right click to use a spell, and then hold left click to run somewhere else (like kiting), my guy will run towards the direction of where I cast my spell instead of running towards where I left clicked the ground. It's happened while using lightning and firebolt so far, but I'm going to guess it can affect all spells. This will normally have my guy run towards the enemy and getting clobbered! :crazy:

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 28 29 30 31 3254 >
  Back to forum