Staredit Network > Forums > Lite Discussion > Topic: Psychological Inquiry
Psychological Inquiry
Jan 16 2011, 4:28 am
By: TiKels  

Jan 17 2011, 5:43 pm omginbd Post #21

Quote from Fire_Kame
That's mean, omginbd. If you're laughing at her while she's having anxiety attacks she probably deserves better. :rolleyes:
I don't like blatantly laugh at her, I just find it mildly amusing. In the same sense that I laugh at this. I feel terrible for that little girl, but it's also very funny.

None.

Jan 17 2011, 10:35 pm TiKels Post #22

Quote from NudeRaider
I think showing your anxiety would be better than what you're doing. It sounds very unnatural and tbh I've never heard of someone doing it (although I imagine I know several people that are doing it without me knowing or realizing). Or just tell her that you're too nervous to comfortably speak about the topic. That alone is already a form of opening up. If she's somewhat close to you (e.g. if she deserves being opened up to) she'll calm you and the conversation will be much more pleasant afterwards.

Imo what you're doing is not very healthy for your social development. You have to learn to deal with stressful situations rather trying to keep your mind from realizing it.

Generally stay away from the extremes.
1. It was an issue that -needed- to be discussed regardless of how difficult it was to say. It wasn't her approaching me, I approached her.
2. Probably, but I'm not UNCONSCIOUS. Like when I play guitar shows, I have trouble playing because my muscles are tensing up, and I can't relax. I've been learning to just phase out and not concentrate.

It's not a "mechanism" it's a semi-conscious thought process to block out certain thought paths.

Quote from Rantent
Just so long as you don't start drooling, people won't notice, and your fine. Heck most of them seem like zombies anyway.
I'm not like... a vegetable. So just no. I'm not unconscious of my surroundings.

Quote from JaFF
If you're 17 it's OK. You will soon go to uni (hopefully), move away from the sheltered nest that is your parent's house and find yourself exploring the social spectrum much more. Through these experiences you will learn and develop your social skills. My advice would be making sure you do go to uni and that you do not stay with your parents (or friends). If you do all that and by the time you finish uni you still have these problems, you should consult someone who knows far more than the members of this community. :P
Good advice. And yeah, either gonna go for an ele engineering school or music school (which I have been thinking about making a topic about for quite some time now)

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jan 18 2011, 12:14 am NudeRaider Post #23

We can't explain the universe, just describe it; and we don't know whether our theories are true, we just know they're not wrong. >Harald Lesch

Quote from TiKels
1. It was an issue that -needed- to be discussed regardless of how difficult it was to say. It wasn't her approaching me, I approached her.
2. Probably, but I'm not UNCONSCIOUS. Like when I play guitar shows, I have trouble playing because my muscles are tensing up, and I can't relax. I've been learning to just phase out and not concentrate.

It's not a "mechanism" it's a semi-conscious thought process to block out certain thought paths.
ad 1. Have you stopped reading mid-paragraph or something? I said tell her about how difficult it is to speak about it and let her help you talk about it. And yes, this also works if you want something from her. If you both are somewhat close she'll understand and help you.

ad 2. Well then I'm not sure I understood you well. Just not thinking about how awkward/difficult the situation is (blocking certain thought paths) is exactly what you should do in such a situation. Zoning out, to hide your mind from realizing the situation, however is a disturbing way to deal with it.

In any case, do not worry too much. As I said however you are, it's okay how you are. With time you should (and probably will) get over this behavior so there's no need to immediately get stressed about it, as already mentioned.

Jan 19 2011, 3:30 pm MetalGear Post #24

Is it normal?
First of all, yes, you're perfectly normal! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Being scared, fearful or nervous is a natural process, and always has a logical reason behind it. It happens to a lot of people, trust me. Your mind works as a reflection of your perceived life experience.

Why does it happen?
It's all about self-perception, because others see you how you see yourself. Being nervous is all about fear. But what are you fearing? You fear that people won't like you or see you for who you really are. And this fear usually derives from the self, being that you are not reaching your full-potential, and such social events as you have described, possibly remind you of this underlying conflict you have with yourself. And it is a conflict that you must learn to rid yourself of. However, in your mind, right now, I want you to thank those people who have brought this attention to you (including those girls who made you feel terrified) because with this shift of focus, you can improve yourself and improve your perception of who you are. These people making you feel this way are actually helping you to understand yourself, or more accurately speaking, your current perception of yourself and what's wrong with it. Try to see this as a positive thing.

Can it be broken?
The simple answer is yes. You can transform yourself and make dramatic changes in your life by improving the way you perceive. Changing the way you perceive, ultimately changes everything about how you behave and react to external stimuli, including your tone of voice, your body language, facial expressions, the processing rate of your brain, since all of these things can be overriden by fear.

So how do you elimatate the fear? Start by breaking your self-image. Sounds ridiculous? Trust me, try this. Laugh about it. Laugh about the fact you keep getting yourself in nervous wrecks. Try to see the funny side in this. And the reason you can laugh, is because you're not actually laughing at yourself, you're laughing at how you sometimes behave. And how you behave is a mere reflection of your mindset, it has nothing to do with your actual personality.

Also, you must try to stop caring what other people think. Easier said that done, but try this. Next time you feel scared by a person, think about how you perceive them instead of how they perceive you. Think to yourself, "do I like this person?" and "are they worthy of my time?". Even if you don't feel it, get yourself in the habit of it, because how you feel and think is important, and you must give credit to yourself.

The last thing to do, is to get rid of your ego. Destroy it, completely. That is, the thing that makes you desire in order to satisfy your perception of your self-worth. You're potentially a very powerful person who just doesn't know how to use his power. So start using it. And accept what you don't have, and if life brings you good things, be grateful for it. If you spend too much time building expactations in life, and then get upset about those expectations not being met, then you will always be lacking. If you just accept yourself, the things you do and don't have, and realize that this is just an experience, then you can never feel dissapointed.

Good luck :)

None.

Jan 22 2011, 2:07 am UnholyUrine Post #25

The best way to work your fears is to confront it.
In your case, you should just go up to her and talk. What's the worse thing that can happen?

So she slaps you and now she hates you for life. Big deal, there're plenty of fish left in the sea. Now you've gained confident.

If you continue to avoid it, it won't be just her, but any other girls u confront in the future.

None.

Jan 22 2011, 10:34 am JaFF Post #26

An easier way is to willingly put yourself in a situation where you would have no choice but to confront your fear. For example if you're afraid of flying, book a holiday abroad.

None.

Options
  Back to forum