3D Modelling
Dec 2 2010, 9:42 pm
By: NicholasBeige
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 12 >

Jun 2 2011, 9:56 pm MadZombie Post #181

I don't think I've ever seen a demonstration for this kind of technology yet, just hearing about the idea, so forgive me if I'm acting like a huge slowpoke but daaaaaaaaaayuuum. So... is this going to eventually make people lose jobs in the 3D industry in the future?

:0

None.

Jun 2 2011, 9:59 pm NicholasBeige Post #182

lols. No.

It creates a "point cloud" which is essentially just a shit ton of vertices. Which in plain english terms, is absolutely useless to a rendering system. Which means it cannot be used in real-time (game engines), or in high production (films). It's just a bloody clever way of getting photo realistic reference images (pre-textured - with textures as real as they get), and also for use as a digital backdrop, something that has always been difficult to achieve and get it to look 'right'.

None.

Jun 5 2011, 4:36 pm MadZombie Post #183

I understand why autosesk won't combine max and Maya. Those guys aren't kidding when they say that one programs controls are different from the other. Everything I know is blender based and when I tried max 2011 I just raged so hard be aide everything is so different. Too lazy got try and learn it. Gonna stick with blender and use max to do imports/exports or mental ray or something.

None.

Jun 5 2011, 7:43 pm NicholasBeige Post #184

The exact opposite is true as well.

A few people I know who use Max professionally (Ie: can claim to be on the credits of at least 1 hollywood film and/or have worked on a AAA title in the last 6 months / or are known employees by Blizzard/etc - and therefore cannot tell us what they're working on)... They tried using Blender and rage quit it - calling the controls unintuitive and stupid.

I hear all of this about Blender that 'yeah, it's nice... but man the controls are stupid'. And then the general lack of documentation as well... makes me really reluctant to try it out. But luckily a guy I know is going to make a VOD aimed at getting Max users a kick-start in using Blender. I'll speak to him and see if he doesn't mind doing the opposite aswell (Ie: Blender to Max).

Also: Maya and 3DS Max were both initially developed by different companies. Max was the product of a company called Discreet (back in the day), and I don't know about Maya. But they were essentially bought up by Autodesk. And that is why the programs are so insanely different - but ultimately can do the same things.

As far as I know, 3DS Max is more powerful for scripting, photorealistic rendering, mechanical animation, and plug-ins. Wheras Maya is a lot better for creating characters, hard/soft modelling, animating short sequences, unwrapping and asset creation in general.

None.

Jun 6 2011, 5:34 pm NicholasBeige Post #185

Ironically the exact same principles are still being used today, albeit in software packages instead of physical devices. :) Also, Walt Disney was a fuckin baller.

Edit:

Also, these are very informative video tutorials for topology / sub div modelling:

and

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 6 2011, 6:15 pm by Cardinal.

None.

Jun 9 2011, 1:02 am IskatuMesk Post #186

Lord of the Locker Room

I think I'll start modeling again. First up, those sleek legs!

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 9 2011, 1:19 am NicholasBeige Post #187

I see your sexy space ship and raise you a Zealot Samurai Cowboy

None.

Jun 9 2011, 3:09 am Jack Post #188

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

The hat looks like that silver robotspaceship from that old movie. Do not like. Otherwise, how many polies, when will you texture it, animate, etc.? NEED MOAR INFOS

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 9 2011, 5:00 am IskatuMesk Post #189

Lord of the Locker Room

that is one awesome cowboy

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Jun 16 2011, 2:35 pm IskatuMesk Post #190

Lord of the Locker Room

pretty sure this is what prompted that indie game request

Jun 24 2011, 10:31 pm IskatuMesk Post #191

Lord of the Locker Room

Jun 24 2011, 11:38 pm Jack Post #192

Still not sure whether I like that central bit or not; it looks better now than it did previously though.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 25 2011, 1:22 am TiKels Post #193

Which is the front side on that? It could fly either way ;D

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Jun 25 2011, 1:25 am IskatuMesk Post #194

Lord of the Locker Room

Right side.

If I knew how to make conforming tendrils the center would be a lot easier. But I don't. And I despise clipping.

Jun 28 2011, 5:03 am IskatuMesk Post #195

Lord of the Locker Room

guy sends me base fighter model, I pull out some Anahn shit and here we go............!

Interceptor>Fighter>Multi-Role Fighter>Bomber

Still need to do SSF but maybe later.

Jul 10 2011, 8:54 pm IskatuMesk Post #196

Lord of the Locker Room

l2p

Jul 29 2011, 12:24 am NicholasBeige Post #197

I want it... 500 dolla billz anyone?

None.

Jul 29 2011, 3:54 am IskatuMesk Post #198

Lord of the Locker Room

Unfortunately, I can't pirate my way around a render farm to make shinies like that. But I'm working on it. Until then, CGI is pretty much unrealistic to attempt.

Jul 29 2011, 4:13 am Jack Post #199

Why don't you just use BURP? http://burp.renderfarming.net/

Red classic.

Jul 29 2011, 4:26 am IskatuMesk Post #200

Lord of the Locker Room

This is compatible with 3ds max? Their site isn't exactly thorough in how it works...

Options
Pages: < 1 « 8 9 10 11 12 >
  Back to forum