Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: The Game Music Thread
The Game Music Thread
Nov 22 2010, 7:29 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: 1 2 3 >

Nov 22 2010, 7:29 am UnholyUrine Post #1

The Video Game Music Thread
A Community Project that will bring a collection of great musics that may be put into maps.

Intro: Music, whether it is background ambience music, hardcore rock music, or even the sfx, play a key role in many aspects of a game. As game designers and map makers, we know that the atmosphere of a game is essential to immerse the players. But music can also be a key feature in a game's narrative, identity, exposition, or even in characterization. All in all, video game music is very important and is often lacking in our custom games.

The purpose of this is to showcase and find great sources to some great musics out there that can be put into our maps.

I will be using this thread to store links and sources to such music. I may categorize them later on, but that will be down the road. Please participate by posting the links to some awesome music (but make sure you follow both the rules listed below AND the rules of wherever you got your music from!)

Rules!

So you want to share some fantastic music (like me).. but it is very important that you consider the copyright laws and everything else behind it. So, here are the rules for this thread.

Rule 1.
- Attribution: You must give credit to the artist.

Rule 2.
- Noncommercial: You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist under another license.

Rule 3.
- Share Alike: If you alter, transform, or build upon this music, you may distribute the resulting creation only under a license identical to this one.

Rule 4.
- Acknowledgment: By posting a music link here, you must agree to the rules and terms of the websites/sources in which the music you're posting is from. (note that some sites will need you to have both the remixer's name(s) and the site's name "clearly attributed". So beware!)

Rule 5.
- Scrutiny: Please limit your contributions to music that could actually work In-Game or is Game Related. This is about having a collection of music that can be used for games, not about what singer/bands you like to listen to... there's already a thread for that: http://www.staredit.net/topic/119/ (With 258 pages and counting.. IT'S OVER 255!!!!!)

So, let's get into business

Sources

1. Newground's Audio Portal
- While there's a river of content on Newgrounds, it is easy to pick out fantastic, original music that you probably cannot get anywhere else.
- With so much variety, the "classical" category for more ambience/RPG'ish sounds, while the "techno" and "metal and rock" categories will satisfy your contemporary needs.

2. OverClocked Remix
- A great and growing site with remixes of probably some of your most cherised video games and their respective video game musics.

3. http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php
- Has a ton of music ripped straight from many great video games, so if you're remaking a game, there'll probably be a music for you here!

4. http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
- A program that will make any song up to 800% slower without distorting it. Makes great ambience music out of almost anything!!

5. WavePad
- A sleek program that will allow you to alter and work on music.

more to come?...

Music (may be categorized later)

Unfortunately, I find that the SEN's DLDB does not really support music. Moreover, it took ages to upload anything... All I can do now is give you guys the links :( .. Maybe I'll zip up the music I have and upload it as one file.

symbols/numbers

A-C

D-F

G-I

J-L

M-O

P-R

S-U

V-Z

And that's all for now, folks.
Please post below to add more to the list!
Or make suggestions/comments .. w/e

~Unholy

Post has been edited 13 time(s), last time on Nov 29 2010, 5:11 am by UnholyUrine.

None.

Nov 22 2010, 7:35 am UnholyUrine Post #2

reserved ;)

None.

Nov 22 2010, 7:37 am poison_us Post #3

Back* from the grave

http://gh.ffshrine.org/soundtracks.php

Nov 22 2010, 4:41 pm UnholyUrine Post #4

Cool.
I'll add that to the Source

But.. it'd be nice if you pick out the music that you think is best... One of the major things that I wanted to do in this thread is to find awesome music and their sources. Not saying all the musics are going to be bad.. but if you can show us where they are, then that'd be good, and we can give them the attention they deserve.

None.

Nov 23 2010, 4:37 am UnholyUrine Post #5

shameless bamp

since i've finished uploading all the musics I have that I think would be cool if used in-game.

PLEASE POST UR PERSONAL FAVS D:

None.

Nov 23 2010, 4:50 am payne Post #6

:payne:

What about music from Matt Uelman? :awesome:
"Into Town" and "Wilderness" are great. But anyways, I like pretty much every thing he has done for D2.

None.

Nov 23 2010, 5:05 am Jack Post #7

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

http://www.campaigncreations.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3330 that's awesome for making game music from any random song.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 23 2010, 5:47 am UnholyUrine Post #8

@Payne - I've never heard of him :O .. can u post some links?

@Jack - wait .. that's pretty crazy LULS!

does it only do 800% slowdown tho?

added.

None.

Nov 23 2010, 5:54 am Jack Post #9

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/
Looks like it is UP to 800%, but you can do it less.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Nov 23 2010, 6:10 am payne Post #10

:payne:

None.

Nov 23 2010, 11:24 am MadZombie Post #11

'8 bit collective' is a great site for 8 bit. As long as it's 8 bit you could pretty much through it into any game bgm and it would fit.

None.

Nov 24 2010, 12:28 am CecilSunkure Post #12

• Heaven Rendition #2
    -By: Envy
    -Notes: Fast beat techno

• Heaven Rendition #3
    -By: Envy

• Runaway
    -By: Drury Graham

• Melody
    -By: Acid Paradox
    -Notes: Chill and laid back techno

• 70%
    -By: shoephly
    -Notes: Chill and laid back techno

• Fire Aura
    -By: Kid2Will

• Makou Reactor
    -By: Nobuo Uematsu
    -Notes: FF7 loop custom cut and compressed (not entire song)

• Hymn of Faith
    -By: Nobuo Uematsu
    -Notes: I (CecilSunkure) have the rest of the hymns if anyone wants the different renditions with different singers//voices

• Serious Loop
    -By: Dreamcatchergames
    -Notes: Calm, ominous and lonely medieval-esque song, can easily make loop out of

• Title Song (compressed)
    -By: Koji Kondo

• Techno Loop
    -By: Unkown
    -Notes: Short few second loop

• Cecilloop1
    -By: CecilSunkure
    -Notes: Compressed

• OMFGZombie
    -By: CecilSunkure
    -Notes: Compressed

• Dark World
    -By: Koji Kondo
    -Notes: I (CecilSunkure) also have the rest of the songs from this game if anyone wants them

• Coda
    -By: Blizzard

• Desert

• Rouge

• Tristram

Are we also going to have sound effects? We could also submit the best sound effects we have, or our favorites. I have quite a few good ones from SC1 map making. Always good to have a great collection of sounds if you plan to make games, in any form, that require sounds.

Post has been edited 18 time(s), last time on Nov 24 2010, 1:15 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Nov 24 2010, 1:28 am OlimarandLouie Post #13

Source: http://c418.org/

None.

Nov 24 2010, 2:09 am Dem0n Post #14

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from payne
So good. <3

Also, if you ever want to use music you hear on youtube, just download the NetVideoHunter plugin. It's on firefox, though I'm not sure if that's the only thing it works with. It allows you to download the videos onto your computer, and then you can just open the avi files with something like audacity and save the music. ^^

Nov 24 2010, 2:34 am UnholyUrine Post #15

Quote from Cecilsunkure
(list of music put in the same pattern as OP)

Respect <3

Do you mind uploading the high quality versions of the musics you made
zelda's dark world, serious loop if you have it? Thanks.

I'll be adding to the list

@Dem0nS1ayer

yeah I gotta find out how to work around youtube. I know that in some websites, they only show the bottom play bar, but i'm pretty sure it's still from youtube. How do they do that?

None.

Nov 24 2010, 3:55 am CecilSunkure Post #16

I made those songs ages ago, and the only copies I have are those compressed ones that will fit reasonably into a SC1 map.

I do however have a HQ version of the dark world theme song: http://www.mediafire.com/?31n2qx33v9ik2lh

Also Unholy could you please place this in the original post? It's free sound editing program that is extremely light weight, simple, and powerful. I've used it for all my sound file modifications.

None.

Nov 24 2010, 8:08 am RIVE Post #17

Just Here For The Pie

Perfect for the background music of a complex building in a RPG.
Perfect for the background music of a mystical tale told to a hero before he sets out on his quest in a Adventure game.
Perfect for the background music of a puzzle room in a Survival Horror game.

None.

Nov 29 2010, 5:12 am UnholyUrine Post #18

Thanks RIVE and Cecil!
I actually use Wavepad too :D (well my dad does......... .. .don't ask)

None.

Dec 15 2010, 7:22 am poison_us Post #19

Back* from the grave

+- The Last Journey -+
Slow building techno with an intermission...dunno really where you would use it, but its a pretty nice piece outside of the intermission.

Dec 15 2010, 10:23 am IskatuMesk Post #20

Lord of the Locker Room

Are we also going to have sound effects? We could also submit the best sound effects we have, or our favorites. I have quite a few good ones from SC1 map making. Always good to have a great collection of sounds if you plan to make games, in any form, that require sounds.

Give. I shall add it to my ~20-30gb collection I have building up for my Age of Wonders 2 directory.

You guys look like you could use a lot more inspiration in music. So I'll help you out, ok????? Here's but a taste of what my massive 600+ gig collection has to offer for my projects.

I find myself recommending Lair a lot, simply because it's amongst the best of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

You definitely can't go wrong with any of the 3 God of War games, though. Just remember that a Game Rip is usually 3-4x the size of an Official Soundtrack. If you really want the music, find a Game Rip (ffshrine)

Why limit yourself to just game soundtracks when there's so many rare Anime masterpieces waiting to be discovered, like Towards the Terra?

Summoner is one of many games whose soundtracks I randomly downloaded, only to discover a hidden gem.

I don't find that many movies have good soundtracks (especially Western ones), but sometimes I come across a gem like this. Can't recall the name, but I can tell you it was a bitch to find.

Goemon was a pretty awesome movie, with a pretty awesome soundtrack. Much better than copy-pasta trailer music, neh?

Back to games, Xenoblade (Not to be confused with Xenosaga, who also has awesome music) is a newer game with a great soundtrack. The game rip yielded some really nice stuff.

If I need to convince you that Xenosaga has awesome music, maybe you're just too out of the times to be worrying about music at all?

There's of course classics like Dungeon Keeper 2, which I'm sure everyone already knows about, too.

Since you've been watching my Darksiders Let's Play videos, you already know this game has an awesome soundtrack. The Game Rip is HIGHLY recommended over the OST because there is just that much more music. Screw Immediate Music or TSFH, this is where it's at.

Kameo: Elements of Power is another classic. Semi-ecently a much more complete soundtrack/rip showed up on ffshrine.

Archlord has a small but very memorable soundtrack. It's mostly really good ambient-type stuff. I use it a lot in Loladins of Legend and AO2's conceptual.

This is the OP for Devil May Cry's anime variant. I'm using it in AO2 CGI.

That's all for now. Maybe I'll share some more? We'll see...

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Options
Pages: 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum