Staredit Network > Forums > Media, Art, and Literature > Topic: The Game Music Thread
The Game Music Thread
Nov 22 2010, 7:29 am
By: UnholyUrine
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Dec 20 2010, 9:41 pm UnholyUrine Post #21

Dude.. that Lair music is hawt.

Btw, what'd you use to DL music from youtube?

Now that I've listened to the music you've posted more. I do have to comment that, while they're all very epic and definately worth listening and/or putting into your game, I find that almost all of them have the same problem: no memorable melodies.
The reason why it's important for a game to have a memorable melody is explained quite thoroughly here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

But then again, for music that we can put in, ambient music is pretty good already. You could say that they're just a bit more contemporary than I'd like it. Or maybe it's just b/c all of them act as ambience rather than theme music.. gah. just a nit picky problem

I've also found smth pretty cool recently: http://screwattack.com/blogs/From-the-Desk-of-the-Community-Manager/Super-g1-Spotlight-Arcade-Edition

A music called Chip Shuffle (it's in that page smwhere)

If possible, can you change all of it into the format that I've used? I'm a bit busy these days X( ... If not, I'll do it some time later....

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Dec 20 2010, 10:22 pm by UnholyUrine.

None.

Dec 21 2010, 4:51 pm IskatuMesk Post #22

Lord of the Locker Room

Their melodies are fine. I can give you more themish music if you want, but that typically doesn't fit well for background music.

For youtube I use jdownloader. But why would you download music from youtube? They destroy the quality.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Dec 21 2010, 6:29 pm UnholyUrine Post #23

No no, they're all perfect in their own way. I'm just saying that all of them are background music :P, I was hoping for some variety.

I want to b/c that's all you posted XD

None.

Dec 21 2010, 7:08 pm IskatuMesk Post #24

Lord of the Locker Room

Use ffshrine to find the music; it's your best bet.

About the music itself;

If there's anything I've learned over my countless years of modding it's how to design audio for the best impact possible. When you say melodic stuff, I get the impression you're talking about movie soundtracks or stuff like melodic bands (metal ect). While these can be useful, especially for cinematics, there are very critical things outside of melody that make any given piece of music good, even if it is technically breaking rules of music composition. I'd like to bring one very particular piece to spotlight for this discussion.

They are background music. It's not because of the melodies, though, it's because of the transition of energy and Motion. The energy must remain consistent throughout the piece for it to function well as background audio.

For all intents and purposes this track is as generic and melodically uninteresting as the rest of Zimmer's Modern Warfare music. But it serves its purpose well in that it carries energy consistently and deploys it in a decent fashion, serving its purpose as a driving force. I listen to stuff like this when I'm writing.

When your first post said Ambient music I think I got the wrong impression of what you were trying to say. Ambient music to me is music that is played during times between action.

When I think of Ambient music I think of this.

Show them your butt, and when you do, slap it so it creates a sound akin to a chorus of screaming spider monkeys flogging a chime with cacti. Only then can you find your destiny at the tip of the shaft.

Dec 21 2010, 9:22 pm The Starport Post #25

I partly disagree. Generic songs are an opportunity wasted to give the player's emotions a fun ride... even if only just in the background. Some of the original Age of Empire's songs are good example of how non-generic songs are effective:

Post has been edited 6 time(s), last time on Jan 3 2011, 3:20 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Dec 21 2010, 9:43 pm IskatuMesk Post #26

Lord of the Locker Room

That's what I would call ambient... and I'm mostly speaking from an overarching perspective. Everything has its own place and its own opportunity. I can't really try to explain the entire thought process because I would be spending hours upon hours writing text no one's ever going to read.

Nothing that I posted is what I would call generic except for the MW2 piece. That is generic, but it's the only piece out of the entire game rip that I would use in a mod, and only for a very specific point and for a very specific reason.

Dec 21 2010, 10:00 pm The Starport Post #27

I don't think there's ever a time where the right non-generic music can't be at least as effective as generic, personally.

None.

Dec 21 2010, 10:03 pm IskatuMesk Post #28

Lord of the Locker Room

Yet everyone keeps using Immediate Music, X-ray Dog and Two Steps From Hell in every single video production ever created.

Dec 21 2010, 10:42 pm UnholyUrine Post #29

I'm confused :wtfage: ..

I don't know what you're trying to say...
I drew my criticism from watching this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2019-Videogame-Music

Obviously, ambient/background music is very useful in their own way. The thing I was saying is that, in the music you've posted, there aren't enough music that has a good melody, aka a theme. Something people would recognize and hum while they're washing dishes or something.

Example:

hmm mmm mmmmm m m...

or this: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/306544

Anyway, it's explained all very well in the video I linked above, so go watch it :).

None.

Dec 21 2010, 10:58 pm IskatuMesk Post #30

Lord of the Locker Room

The music I am posting are typically unintended to be used as primary thematic pieces. The soundtracks I put together for my mods tend to be in the range of 400-500+ individual pieces of music. Thematic pieces are the most difficult to choose. Would you like me to post what I use for thematic pieces?

I don't really watch (or care about) what other people, especially companies, choose their music by. It's not my method. I've received a lot of positive feedback about my choices for music, and for my reasoning behind these choices. I could try to explain this reasoning for you, but that's not the purpose of this thread, and is outside the context of these posts.

I am boundless in my power, boundless in my choices, and as such, I spend weeks, if not months, empowering these choices. I don't use any pieces of music for any event, character, or whatever on a whim. I'm posting these in a completely neutral standpoint. If you feel they are useful to you, there you go. If not, feel free to check out the rest of the options available from any given source I've posted. There are plenty of melodic pieces more to your tastes in them. I'm only giving you a sample.

Dec 21 2010, 11:10 pm UnholyUrine Post #31

Well good for you...

But it'd be nice if you were more specific with the music you've chosen, or at least put a link in which we can directly download it. That's what this thread is about, sharing music that can be used in games...
FFShrine doesn't seem to work for some reason (maybe it's down)
And the rest are youtubes.

You could at least put your fav music on mediafire or something so we can use it...

I don't know why you're being so defensive.... cause you're missing the point...
share your "gigantic" database with us!

None.

Dec 21 2010, 11:16 pm IskatuMesk Post #32

Lord of the Locker Room

ffshrine is constantly down because of ddos attacks from companies who cannot legally challenge it, the same reason I'm not going to be posting direct download links on SEN.

If you want some of my archives I can PM you.

I don't know why you think I'm being defense. I'm just explaining my reasoning. I can opt not to post any more music if you want.

p.s. I heard being able to use google is a useful talent toi have. Nothing I posted is any more than two or three clicks away from you...

/edit Okay it looks like I deleted the 4gb archive of AO2 I had up. But, here, I'll give you this. It's renamed for AoW2, use id3 tags if you want to identify something.

http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/LoLmusicmod.rar

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Dec 21 2010, 11:33 pm by IskatuMesk.

Dec 21 2010, 11:24 pm Dem0n Post #33

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Mesk I love you. You don't know how many God of War soundtracks I've used when making protoss campaigns. They're so epic! ;o

Dec 22 2010, 12:27 am The Starport Post #34

Here's a few good ambient tracks I enjoy off the top of my head:

I got more, but I'll dig for them later.

None.

Dec 22 2010, 12:28 am IskatuMesk Post #35

Lord of the Locker Room

Alrighty, I'll post some more stuff. You want non-generic? Right. This is very "stylized" stuff. It's going to be very different from what I posted before.

I apologize again that this is not organized according to your first loadout but I'll be organizing it by Energy type this time.

I'll start with some Ambient pieces. I used some of these in The Black Sun for the Anahn. I use these for non-combat orientation or for cinematic "chunks" (to be mixed with other stuff).

Sophia - Miserere & Herbstwerk, Industrial trance-like music. Perfect for the atmosphere of the Anahn.

Arditi - Perseverance Is All, Same kind of deal here.

Celldweller - La Puerta Del Diablo. Most of Celldweller's music is more "Action" oriented than Ambient. But this still served well for DyiithJhinn ambiance.

Altan Urag - Mirage of Faraway, Mongolian folk I use for the Gorian ambient pieces in Armageddon Onslaught 2: UDK Conceptual

Azam Ali, one of many eastern artists I've harvested a great deal of music from, is bloody brilliant. Here's an instrumental track I can't find on youtube. I'm using it in AO2 for Human ambient music.
http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/AO2/HUMAN_Peace4.mp3

Hedningarna, amazing folk band producing music along the style of what I heavily make use of in The Black Sun and Throne of Armageddon. Also used in AO2 for ambient music. There is plenty of instrumental stuff but it's a little difficult to locate on youtube.

Gjallarhorn, same as above.

Bulgarian Folk music is used as the primary overarching genre for Throne of Armageddon, especially when related to Mauu and the primary plot. Here are some examples of such music. As it's so difficult to find, I'll name names if requested.

Medieval chants, of which I am unsure of the exact authors. I located these by random on Demonoid.

Here are some Action pieces, intended for usage in background for battles/action moments or moments of energy in general.

Granado Espada has a ton of really good music in different styles and genres.

A more ambient/thematic piece from the same source...

This is an extended variant of a track from Tekken 6, called Sacred Dark. It's the only track in the game I cared for. I use it for the theme of Kharaak the Devourer in Armageddon Onslaught 2's Gameplay Elements Concept. It is to be played when he is summoned and subsequently during his battle.

These are what I would use to define characters or events in prose. Thematic, so to say, for their power drives the motion rather than word.

This is the direct download to a mp3 I ripped out of X3: Terran Conflict, as I know not where else to get it. It's really good. Note that since I have CC blocked in my hosts file right now I'm not sure if this is the correct link...
http://www.campaigncreations.org/mp3/024_06_03_10_SR-X306000.mp3

Vanessa Mae - Tequila Mockingbird, used for the theme of Valen in AO2 GEC.
http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/AO2/ALEXANDER_Valen'sTheme.mp3

Another DDL link I'll provide for Annaheira's dark age theme seeing as it's so goddamn obscure and I don't know the artist...
http://www.gameproc.com/meskstuff/AO2/ANNAH_Theme_DarkAge.mp3

/edit balls I'm too used to TL that auto videoifies youtube... one moment

/edit 2 fixed

/e 3

Some good stuff there, tux

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Dec 22 2010, 12:34 am by IskatuMesk.

Dec 22 2010, 12:37 am The Starport Post #36

Ooo! I love Granado's music. That's one of the ones I need to go looking for next.

:awesome:

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 3 2011, 3:22 pm by Tuxedo-Templar.

None.

Dec 22 2010, 12:42 am IskatuMesk Post #37

Lord of the Locker Room

I have a game rip I can possibly get to you if you want. It has quite a lot of music in it.

Dec 22 2010, 1:24 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #38

Just here for the activity... well not really

You should check out this guy. He's an indie film/game music composer. Following what Mesk said, this guy is definitely more of melodic and stylized composer compared to other background music.
Most of his songs are intended to be for film, but a lot of the action/adventure songs could fit in a game. He's even working on an OST for Novus Aeterno, some MMO.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Dec 22 2010, 2:03 am ClansAreForGays Post #39

This is awesome.

Dec 22 2010, 2:40 am UnholyUrine Post #40

wow....
just wow.

Keep 'em coming!

I'll be searching for more myself =D

None.