Staredit Network > Forums > SC2 General Discussion > Topic: What the hell was Blizzard thinking?
What the hell was Blizzard thinking?
Aug 21 2010, 6:22 am
By: Voyager7456
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Aug 22 2010, 7:40 pm DevliN Post #21

OVERWATCH STATUS GO

Ah, okay. I've been deceived by Roy's and DavidJCobb's posts. Thank Jeebus.

\:devlin\: Currently Working On: \:devlin\:
My Overwatch addiction.

Aug 22 2010, 11:44 pm CecilSunkure Post #22

Making games is about making money. If they feel that appealing to a broader audience by filtering stuff gets them more money (long or short term, whichever they are considering), then they'll do it.

None.

Aug 23 2010, 2:58 am Dem0n Post #23

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Except I don't see custom mapping getting as big as it did in sc1 with all these filters, which is basically all that blizzard has after the melee hype dies down.

Aug 23 2010, 11:31 pm Sand Wraith Post #24

she/her

A defense map was removed because at one point, the spawned enemy units made a shape that looked like a swastika.

I got that from CC.

Aug 24 2010, 12:06 am DavidJCobb Post #25

Quote from CecilSunkure
Making games is about making money. If they feel that appealing to a broader audience by filtering stuff gets them more money (long or short term, whichever they are considering), then they'll do it.
Quote from Sand Wraith
A defense map was removed because at one point, the spawned enemy units made a shape that looked like a swastika.

I got that from CC.
Quote from this entire fucking topic

Figure 11.6 From left to right: Infinity Ward and Blizzard, both infected by the parasitic Activision.

None.

Aug 24 2010, 1:06 am TiKels Post #26

How do we even know that Activision was the one who said "CENSORSHIP GOGOGO" ... it seems like people just want a scapegoat ...

You guys make it sound like all this is going to drastically change everything, all you have to do is like change 2 words and avoid swastikas. Big whoop.

I haven't found someone who gave me a very convincing argument as to why sc2 was absolutely fucking horrible. All this whiny shit is getting on my nerves.

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 24 2010, 1:35 am Dem0n Post #27

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Look at all the limitations. Custom mapping is so fucking retarded. You can't even make your own type of map anymore; it has to be by blizzard's standards, which are quite frankly complete shit. B.net is no different than sc1 except for shiny buttons and a matchmaking system. Too bad that melee isn't going to keep everyone entertained forever. They're eventually gonna turn to custom maps, and they're going to be disappointed because of all the stupid restrictions the maps have. And why does everything bug you? You act like such a big person by not complaining about anything. Drop the act; nobody's impressed by your "maturity".

Aug 24 2010, 1:38 am TiKels Post #28

The only thing about custom mapping that we are limited in is the usage of certain phrases and images that could be taken offensively (mostly the former). That's hardly making you unable to "make your own type of map anymore".

"If a topic that clearly interest noone needs to be closed to underline the "we don't want this here" message, is up to debate."

-NudeRaider

Aug 24 2010, 1:42 am Dem0n Post #29

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Too bad the phrases that are banned are completely retarded. Grape is banned for rape, butter is banned for butt, "pen is" is banned for penis. Hell, words like blow are banned. What if you wanna say, "Blow up the buildings!"? It's a war game, yet we can't use any "violent" words in our maps.

Aug 24 2010, 1:49 am DavidJCobb Post #30

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Too bad the phrases that are banned are completely retarded. Grape is banned for rape, butter is banned for butt, "pen is" is banned for penis. Hell, words like blow are banned. What if you wanna say, "Blow up the buildings!"? It's a war game, yet we can't use any "violent" words in our maps.
*ahem*

Has anyone tried this yet?

None.

Aug 24 2010, 1:53 am TiKels Post #31

Say "destroy the building" instead. You make it sound like it's a huge deal to change a word, hell all the words that are being censored could be replaced with more eloquent alternates and still carry the same meaning. I'm fairly sure "blow" is censored due to the sexual connotation.

-NudeRaider

Aug 24 2010, 2:25 am DavidJCobb Post #32

"Hello, aspiring sci-fi video game player! I cordially invite you to participate in my destruction-focused composition of meticulously-arranged terrain and unit configurations for the purpose of increasing your merriment. Your goal is to demolish the various hostile structures in the landscape using gratuitous amounts of explosive force. I wish you good tidings!"

What a nice censor-avoiding description. :-|

None.

Aug 24 2010, 2:41 am CecilSunkure Post #33

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Too bad that melee isn't going to keep everyone entertained forever. They're eventually gonna turn to custom maps, and they're going to be disappointed because of all the stupid restrictions the maps have.
Not everyone is going to get bored from melee. You have to be naive to make such a claim.

Word censors are annoying, but they won't deter people from playing maps (in any relevant way), they'll just annoy map makers.

None.

Aug 24 2010, 3:23 am Dem0n Post #34

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Look at sc1. Melee is basically dead. I'm not saying it'll get as bad as that, but eventually, the majority of the players will be looking to play ums.

Aug 24 2010, 3:34 am CecilSunkure Post #35

Most 1v1 matches are held on separate servers from battle net (brainclan, fish, iccup). Most people in the US have switched to SC2, whilst a lot of Koreans have also done the same.

This isn't even about SC1 anyways.

None.

Aug 24 2010, 7:36 am Gigins Post #36

Quote from TiKels
Say "destroy the building" instead. You make it sound like it's a huge deal to change a word, hell all the words that are being censored could be replaced with more eloquent alternates and still carry the same meaning. I'm fairly sure "blow" is censored due to the sexual connotation.
Kill is censored. And how old are you supposed to be, to find any of the words offensive? I mean are you offended by "blow" or "penis" or "fuck" or anything? These are freaking words that are part of English language. You can't just take a whole lot of words like country names, colors and double meaning words out of English and say, this language can't offend anyone now, we're safe. Fuck, I'll find a way to offend you with all the censoring in the world turned on. It's not about words, it's about their usage, and I think USM mapmakers are smart enough to use them correctly.

None.

Aug 24 2010, 8:30 am Tharuk Zhal Omaenha Post #37

We specifically choose the words we do to best convey a thought or an idea that we have. When our ability to make this choice is impaired, our ability to accurately convey our thoughts and ideas is as well. Censorship does just this. And TiKels? "Synonyms" will not suffice - no, they just won't do. You still lose the feel of the words, even if you preserve the meaning. Try reading some classic literature with actiblision's censorship applied to it and call me back if you still disagree.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Aug 24 2010, 8:37 am by Gantrithor.

None.

Aug 24 2010, 10:16 am Sand Wraith Post #38

she/her

Quote from TiKels
How do we even know that Activision was the one who said "CENSORSHIP GOGOGO" ... it seems like people just want a scapegoat ...

You guys make it sound like all this is going to drastically change everything, all you have to do is like change 2 words and avoid swastikas. Big whoop.

I haven't found someone who gave me a very convincing argument as to why sc2 was absolutely fucking horrible. All this whiny shit is getting on my nerves.

IskatuMesk said he has reliable sources that say it's not really Activision's fault. Actually, it'd probably be best to PM him for the details.

HURRDURR, ALL YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IS "GRAPE" TO "FRUIT THAT IS SMALL, ROUND, AND FREQUENTLY PURPLE OR GREEN". FUCK THAT SHIT.
BTW: I forgot to mention that the enemies forming a swastika were by complete coincidence.

Have you been living under a rock? Go to SEN, CC, SC2C, SC2Mapster, ANY mapping community. Make a thread calling for what people think about map naming policies, custom map publishing, the works. Have fun.

http://us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US&gameId=13&rootCategoryId=4511
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33752&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=4511
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=33749&categoryId=4511&parentCategoryId=&pageNumber=1
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=33804&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=4511

Take any word even remotely associated with something listed. It's not even "match whole word," it's just "this set of consecutive characters."

I can't possibly see how you have no problems with the current systems, considering that you're on an SC1/2 mapping site. Do you even map? I'm pretty sure Kame thinks this is stupid too. Kame doesn't even map. What the Hell is going on?

It's fucking retarded that really interesting shit like Hell's Awakening would be removed from B.Net 2.0. Good thing it's for SC1 though. Another good example of what will never happen in SC2: AO. Fucking awesome mod, fucking shit systems = fucking stupid situation.

Aug 24 2010, 10:25 am Gigins Post #39

Funny, how do you say "hell" differently but still mean the same thing so that everyone gets it? "The place where god sends you when you're really bad"?

None.

Aug 24 2010, 10:30 am Tharuk Zhal Omaenha Post #40

Next thing you know blizzard will be allied with Eastasia instead of Eurasia... Err... I mean EA and Activision.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum