Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Karma Removed
Karma Removed
Jun 25 2010, 10:55 pm
By: Devourer
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

Jun 25 2010, 11:52 pm Demented Shaman Post #21

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Implement rep. It's epic.
No, that would be worse than the karma we just had.

None.

Jun 25 2010, 11:56 pm Dem0n Post #22

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Nuh uh. Rep is epic. I love feeling appreciated. :O

Jun 26 2010, 12:23 am Aristocrat Post #23

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Implement rep. It's epic.

None.

Jun 26 2010, 1:27 am BeeR_KeG Post #24

As much as I have disagreed with devilesk in the past concerning concerning forum moderation, I'll have to agree 100% with him. At first I didn't see any problem with it, but people started talking more and more about it, paid more attention and in the end it started being more of a nuisance. You never saw me gloating about how in 3 weeks I went from a 4 to 45, no reason why people should whine about their -1 or gloat about their 60+.

This reminds me a lot of the mineral system we had in SEN v3 and SEN v4 back in 04-05 where you'd get 8 minerals per post. Spam everywhere and people posting two word posts just for the minerals. Then we gave minerals based on post length, it worked for a while but then they just made long mindless posts. We also had icons you got based on post number, you started out as a drone and worked your way up ending in wraith at 2500 posts. People also posted two word posts just to get a new icon. Regulars and Elites also had special privileges based on post number and again people posted a lot just to get these privileges.

Something that I do see working a lot is the activity system. You just have to be active once a day and slowly work your way up, there's no way around it like all the other systems.

Karma really didn't do anything, but people like to see a number that puts them "above" other members and will work towards improving said number, much like how the old ladder system used to work. Karma had a flaw and it was that you could go negative and people could abuse it. It worked on giving and taking, something which could easily be abused.

Something that could work? Implement the current karma system, but users can only give minerals so that you eliminate the "hate abuse". Now how to fix the "I'm going to give all my friends karma", easy, we implement a cool down system that penalizes this. What I have in mind is similar to the old warn system we used to have back then which we used to moderate with. Here's a simple design:
  • All users have a scale from 0% to 100%.
  • Each time you give karma to someone, the scale goes up by 5%.
  • You can only give karma once every 15 minutes.
  • Once it reaches 50%, you will be deducted the amount you gave to another person.
  • Once it reaches 100%, you will be deducted double the amount you gave another person.
  • After 25%, the cooldown will be 2x as long, 50% 4x as long, 75% 8x as long and 100% 16x as long.
  • Every hour the scale will go down 2% until it reaches 0.

What this does is that the more you give to someone, the less frequent you will be able to give karma and if you keep going at it you will be penalized yourself. An abuser will just see his own karma plummet down and the cool down go way high.

But there's no negative karma now for bad people. Doesn't need to be. People with good productivity will have higher karma than those who don't.

Personally I don't like the karma system because it promotes competitiveness like if it were a ladder, I'd just switch karma for minerals when there is something to use minerals with. For now, just remove karma.

None.

Jun 26 2010, 1:35 am payne Post #25

:payne:

Quote from Centreri
So... it's poorly implemented, poorly fixed, and removed. Shame.
+... 0? D:

None.

Jun 26 2010, 1:42 am A_of-s_t Post #26

aka idmontie

I never understood the point... why not just read the post yourself and say: "That was an intelligent post. Perhaps I'll signify that it was helpful by quoting it and agreeing, but also adding another word of wisdom." or "That was an awful comment, and completely wrong. I'll take it upon myself to quote it, say why it was wrong, and recommend the correct way."

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 26 2010, 1:46 am Vrael Post #27

Because we want to gain minerals to buy cool stuff from -- oh wait.

None.

Jun 26 2010, 1:56 am A_of-s_t Post #28

aka idmontie

Quote from Vrael
Because we want to gain minerals to buy cool stuff from -- oh wait.
I don't think we are remembering the same store.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 26 2010, 7:39 am Devourer Post #29

Hello

oh yea, the store.
I cannot affect it, it's IPs project and yet I'm not allowed to do stuff there.
I would offer my help, though.

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jun 26 2010, 1:44 pm Wing Zero Post #30

Magic box god; Suck it Corbo

Quote from BeeR_KeG

Something that I do see working a lot is the activity system. You just have to be active once a day and slowly work your way up, there's no way around it like all the other systems.

Karma really didn't do anything, but people like to see a number that puts them "above" other members and will work towards improving said number, much like how the old ladder system used to work. Karma had a flaw and it was that you could go negative and people could abuse it. It worked on giving and taking, something which could easily be abused.

Something that could work? Implement the current karma system, but users can only give minerals so that you eliminate the "hate abuse". Now how to fix the "I'm going to give all my friends karma", easy, we implement a cool down system that penalizes this. What I have in mind is similar to the old warn system we used to have back then which we used to moderate with. Here's a simple design:
  • All users have a scale from 0% to 100%.
  • Each time you give karma to someone, the scale goes up by 5%.
  • You can only give karma once every 15 minutes.
  • Once it reaches 50%, you will be deducted the amount you gave to another person.
  • Once it reaches 100%, you will be deducted double the amount you gave another person.
  • After 25%, the cooldown will be 2x as long, 50% 4x as long, 75% 8x as long and 100% 16x as long.
  • Every hour the scale will go down 2% until it reaches 0.

What this does is that the more you give to someone, the less frequent you will be able to give karma and if you keep going at it you will be penalized yourself. An abuser will just see his own karma plummet down and the cool down go way high.

But there's no negative karma now for bad people. Doesn't need to be. People with good productivity will have higher karma than those who don't.

I'd just switch karma for minerals when there is something to use minerals with.

+1......
I like this idea, I also liked the idea where karma has a 15 minute cooldown. The main reason karma failed was because some people got a little trigger happy when the cooldown was removed. I figured they would get bored after a while and stop though.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 26 2010, 3:43 pm by Wing Zero.

Jun 26 2010, 5:10 pm CaptainWill Post #31

It could work in some form, but it needs to be properly thought through and tested.

None.

Jun 26 2010, 5:45 pm Fire_Kame Post #32

wth is starcraft

Its funny because games are all about rules XD

Jun 26 2010, 6:43 pm UnholyUrine Post #33

Careful, Devourer...
You're gonna get bad karma now.

None.

Jun 26 2010, 6:45 pm Devourer Post #34

Hello

lol'd.
As long as my reputation stays good I don't worry about Karma :awesome:

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Jun 26 2010, 8:20 pm Tempz Post #35

Karma on sen is like a stock, only people who have a large amount of it cares... but if they don't want it then its a major piss off, like face-book friends (SOUTH PARK REFERENCE :O) and no you can't neg karma this post :)

None.

Jun 26 2010, 8:31 pm EzTerix Post #36

we had a karma system? was that the thing where you had to click the negative sign on everyone's post? I did it many times :notangel:

None.

Jun 26 2010, 8:45 pm Falkoner Post #37

Yeah, I had like -30 because of a single serious discussion topics, but my nearly 3000 posts in UMS Assistance got me nothing, it was simply a show of whether or not a person agreed with the popular majority, not a judge of whether they were helpful or not in useful areas.

None.

Jun 28 2010, 6:16 pm Adeon Post #38

Quote from Falkoner
Yeah, I had like -30 because of a single serious discussion topics, but my nearly 3000 posts in UMS Assistance got me nothing, it was simply a show of whether or not a person agreed with the popular majority, not a judge of whether they were helpful or not in useful areas.
I had the same issue.

I think it should work like Youtube: a certain amount of neg. karma hides someone's post, but its sum isn't displayed on the author's profile.
This could keep huge topics better organized, saving newcomers from having to read the whole thing.

None.

Jun 28 2010, 6:36 pm Falkoner Post #39

Quote from Adeon
I think it should work like Youtube: a certain amount of neg. karma hides someone's post, but its sum isn't displayed on the author's profile. This could keep huge topics better organized, saving newcomers from having to read the whole thing.

Except that in the example I had, the serious discussion topic, posts would be hidden simply because they go against popular belief.

The best solution I've seen is allowing people to only give positive karma.

None.

Jun 28 2010, 7:04 pm StarBlue Post #40

I'm relieved. Someone was out to get me, but I forgot who I suspected... oh well, I remember pissing someone off in the shoutbox, then mysteriously got bad karma on my last 3 posts before karma was removed... I remember! *cough* SYPHON *caugh-hack* damn, something lodged in my throat.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum