Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Contests > Topic: Week #2 SEN Mapping Contest
Week #2 SEN Mapping Contest
May 2 2010, 1:24 am
By: LoveLess
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >

May 12 2010, 6:31 pm lil-Inferno Post #81

Just here for the pie

Seems like a joke entry to me... 13000 triggers in three days, 230 .wavs... plus he's making excuses for why it's not working.

May 12 2010, 6:55 pm Chia-Tyrant Post #82

Quote from name:Azrael666-
•Units: 692

•Doodads: 24

•Sprites: 94

•Locations: 256

•Strings: 950+

•Triggers: 13000+

•.Wavs: 230+

•File Size: 4.15 MB
Lil-inferno is right. It's either a joke or that map was started well before the contest. There is no way someone could do that much in 7 days.
Also...

Quote from name:Azrael666-
•.Wavs: 230+
•File Size: 4.15 MB
Ahem. Ahem.

Quote from Leeroy_Jenkins
Wow. That had an incredibly good story.
Quote from lil-Inferno
I thought the story was superb as well.
Thanks :D. I enjoyed both of your maps as well. I find that the entries for this contest are much more enjoyable than the ones of previous contests. It could also be because I like RPGs better.

I still haven't played through all of your maps but they all seemed excellent.

Quote from lil-Inferno
I at least hope he meant May instead of April when he said it was released on April 9th... which he did twice.
We're in may!? :0_0:

None.

May 13 2010, 4:34 am Azrael Post #83

Quote from lil-Inferno
Seems like a joke entry to me... 13000 triggers in three days, 230 .wavs... plus he's making excuses for why it's not working.
Quote from Chia-Tyrant
Lil-inferno is right. It's either a joke or that map was started well before the contest. There is no way someone could do that much in 7 days.
Ah, the internet, where one person's erroneous statements become irrefutable facts when another person agrees with them.

Let's break this down, shall we?

Quote from lil-Inferno
13000 triggers in three days
How is this a three day contest? I said I literally stayed up for three days straight working on it, I never said or even insinuated those were the only three days I worked on it :rolleyes: That's what I tried doing the last contest, and it didn't turn out so well.

Quote from lil-Inferno
he's making excuses for why it's not working.
Where did this happen, exactly? Let's see what I wrote.

I managed to reduce the filesize a bit by zipping it, which helps you not at all with being able to play publicly, but Tinymap2 is causing StarCraft to not even open it for some reason. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what, but I'll mess around with it and if I can eventually get the filesize down, I will post it up somewhere.
Ah right, I said I can't get it to compress with Tinymap2, so therefore I said the map doesn't work? Never mind that I already said I used the extra time from the deadline for testing, and that I'd yet to encounter any bugs.

Also conveniently forget that the map was submitted already, over a day before the new deadline and that Cecil has it already. It works perfectly fine. Sorry that there's something wrong with this new zipfile, but since I'm trying to get compression to work on the map anyways, my only real concern is that the judges have it. Like I said, I'll make a DLDB entry as soon as any form of compression works on it (see the end of this post for details about that, I could use some help).

Quote from Chia-Tyrant
1) Trigger Duplicator.

Due to the movement system the maps uses, I had to duplicate a number of triggers 240 times each. I had almost 5000 triggers in the first 2 hours of the project.

2) 1 second wavs.

It was initially about 8 different sound files of various formats, split into 1 second wavs. I used Sony ACID Pro, it only took a few hours.

Why exactly would you make baseless claims in an attempt to damage another person's reputation, and they are certainly baseless considering everything you said was 100% wrong. I mean really, I can go into Trigger Duplicator and make 13000 triggers in about 10 seconds (detect each of the first 13000 kills, perhaps?), with only 100 unique triggers for storyline and such. I could make a map that fits those "impossible specifications" in under 10 minutes, never mind a week.

If I really felt such a terrible desire to win this contest that I was willing to cheat, I'd have done it for the first contest since I already have a number of finished and semi-finished puzzle maps to choose from. Hell, I even posted a time-traveling puzzle game on this site 5 years ago.

You know what they say though, the first to believe someone has committed a crime is the first that would commit it themselves. Inferno said it was probably a joke map, and he submitted a joke map last contest. You said it was started before the contest, so that means... well, I'm sure you know the rest already.

Anyways, Cecil already has the one from before the deadline was extended, so I'm not too worried about this rar file issue. I'll put up a DLDB entry once I can get it to compress.

On that note, I could use some help with this issue, because it isn't Tinymap2 that's at fault. I've found that no compressor and no protector will work on the map without doing horrible horrible things to it. Even SCXE gives me an error message if I just open and immediately save it ("Could not open file for writing"). I don't have any other programs open that could be screwing up the process either.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, or how to fix it? Any help is greatly appreciated. The map works perfectly fine as it is, but I'd like to be able to reduce the filesize if at all possible.

May 13 2010, 5:34 am UnholyUrine Post #84

Use Uberation =)

If u can't reduce the filesize.. but the map is 1 player.. just leave it as is...

EDIT: @Chia-Tyrant ... Honestly.. did u complete the map at April? because if u did, I'm sorry, but we really have to disqualify you. The map itself is amazing =)

None.

May 13 2010, 11:21 am Chia-Tyrant Post #85

[quote:name=unholyurine]EDIT: @Chia-Tyrant ... Honestly.. did u complete the map at April? because if u did, I'm sorry, but we really have to disqualify you. The map itself is amazing =) [/quote]
Obviously, I meant to write may 9th. If I had really made that game before april 9th, I wouldn't have indicated it in the map description and the briefing. Besides, I would have just entered it for another contest or plainly released it. If it means that much to you, I'll update a version where may is indicated instead of april.

@Azrael666- I'm sorry if you felt offended by anything I wrote. I did not state it as a fact; I meant to say that it was very unlikely for someone to do that much in so little time.

None.

May 13 2010, 2:53 pm UnholyUrine Post #86

It's pretty hard to mess up the MONTH you know :\ ... Have u been living under a rock???

It's not about whether you made it before the contest... it's about making the map in just the one week, like everyone else, and see who can work best in such a short time.
But anyways, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt. You should probably submit a fixed ver just so there're no more confusion.

None.

May 13 2010, 3:29 pm FoxWolf1 Post #87

Quote from UnholyUrine
It's pretty hard to mess up the MONTH you know :\ ... Have u been living under a rock???

In his defense, it happens to me all the time, too...I even screw up the year sometimes (how the hell did it get to be 2010 already, anyway? When did that happen?). It's very easy to do...you just get used to the month/year/whatever being X, and the habit doesn't go away the moment X ends.

None.

May 13 2010, 10:47 pm ETEFT(U) Post #88

Hi, UnholeUrine said I should post this map for the contest, I know its late but was made under the time line.

http://www.staredit.net/files/2204/

None.

May 14 2010, 2:33 am UnholyUrine Post #89

Compilation.. =)

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on May 20 2010, 2:59 am by UnholyUrine.

None.

May 14 2010, 2:42 am CecilSunkure Post #90

I don't have the map like Azreal says; the link he sent me was broken.

None.

May 15 2010, 1:28 pm Azrael Post #91

Quote from CecilSunkure
I don't have the map like Azreal says; the link he sent me was broken.
*facepalm*

The link was most certainly not broken when you received it and when you posted it in this thread. The only reason the link doesn't work now is because I took the file down some time later when it got to almost a dozen downloads. I haven't had good experiences with distributing unprotected maps, and it's a rather large map file, so I wanted to protect/compress the version being downloaded by the general public before too many people downloaded the unprotected/uncompressed judging version.

It was a pretty reasonable assumption that the only person I sent the link to would have been one of the dozen people that downloaded it, if not the first.

So basically, you copy/pasted the link into the thread and posted it for other people to download, but didn't actually download it yourself :dontgetit: The reason I PM'd the link to you instead of posting it in the thread was to make sure you got it since you are judging the contest.

Anyways, the main reason I just got on was because I got the map protected. I don't know exactly what was wrong with the original map still, whatever it was had to do with the fact I added all 230 something wav files at the same time (SCXE lets you select as many as you want to upload simultaneously). As soon as I did that I started getting the initial error messages when trying to save, which had very little impact at the time because although it says it can't save, it actually was saving with seemingly no problem other than the error message. Of course I realized something was actually wrong when I finished and started trying to protect it (by the way Unholy, I tried Uberation (v3 I believe) and it protected it... while deleting all the wavs and replacing dialogue with location names >_> I'll give it credit that it made it further than the protectors which just blatantly refused to even try).

I ended up copying everything to an identical map file one layer at a time because the file became so corrupt while I was trying to fix it that I couldn't even change anything anymore. I was using SCM Draft to delete and readd strings and wavs to see if I could get rid of whatever was screwing the map up, and at some point I was like "screw it" and I deleted every unit on the map and saved a test file. Well when I opened the map in SCXE, all the units showed up. I deleted all the units in SCXE this time, saved it again (no error messages saving at this point), and immediately reopened it... all the units were still there. The map was so damaged that it couldn't be altered, although both editors seemed to think they were altering it (too bad you couldn't do this purposefully for a map protecting program! >_>).

At this point I had one set of units and shit showing up on SCM Draft, an entirely different set on SCXE, and some other shit going on when I tried playing it in StarCraft. I figured it was pretty much beyond repair at this point, I was pretty upset to be honest, but then I was considering the whole copying the map layer-by-layer notion and wondering if it would still work right and if whatever was corrupt would carry over as well.

What I had to was copy/paste the terrain, units, etc into a new map, remake all the locations identically, then copy/paste the text version of the triggers, add all the wavs again (this time one at a time in SCM Draft and uncompressed!), and redo all the unit naming and stats and such.

After it was all finished, I tried it out and it seems to be functional. I just compressed it with TinyMap2, which worked alright this time, so I'm hoping the rampant data corruption didn't find it's way into this version through some tile of transferred terrain or some other stupid bullshit. It did a good job of compression and protection, although when I hopped on to test if it'd actually worked, I found the wavs now had some kind of slight sound at the end/beginning of them, and for 1 sec continually-playing wavs that's a serious issue, so I ended up not being able to compress the wavs.

So although I couldn't compress the wavs for that reason, I could still compress the rest of the map, which did very little for the file size but seems to work for protection so I'm satisfied I guess. I'd like to be able to reduce the file size for distribution reasons but it makes the wavs obnoxious to listen to, and if I have to reduce the enjoyability of the map in order for more people to play, I'll just end up with less total people who enjoy it.

Well here you go, I'll make the DLDB entry and such later because, surprise, I'm sick of dealing with this map at the moment. If you downloaded the original version, please delete it and download this one instead. I only checked the first 30 seconds of the map after getting it protected, just enough to make sure the map wasn't made unplayable like what the corrupted versions had been doing when been protected, so it's more than likely (especially because the map is a layer-by-layer copy) that something is not going to work right at some point. If you experience some kind of bug or map error, please inform me as soon as possible in as much detail as possible so I can take this down and try to fix it yet again.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nwkgnxdymj0

Edit: Quickly throwing together a vFinal with a list of improvements added that I thought of while trying to fix the original, it'll be linked to in a few minutes. If you're not a judge, you should probably just download it instead, it has a music toggle and such. If you're a judge then of course download the original lol.

Edit: Here's the final version. It has the same file name as the other version because I haven't publicly played yet so the only people who need to worry about which file is which are reading this thread. Download this one (NOT for judging).

Final version: Autocracy RPG

I repeat, if you are a judge then do not judge this one, it has a number of additions, improvements, and alterations which were made after the contest deadline. Anyone who downloaded one of the previous versions should download this one instead.

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on May 16 2010, 4:07 am by Azrael666-.

May 15 2010, 4:25 pm UnholyUrine Post #92

There's a thing called PM if you're really that paranoid.

EDIT: man.. You can use Uberation to Compress the Wavs.. there are also other programs to compress Wavs
At least it worked this time ^.^

None.

May 15 2010, 4:34 pm Azrael Post #93

Quote from UnholyUrine
There's a thing called PM if you're really that paranoid.
I did use a PM originally >_>

Once long ago, I tested a map without protection, and one of the testers changed my name to theirs and then apparently played it non-stop. When I went to test the next build a week later, someone in the lobby accused me of map stealing.

That was the last time I ever

1) Did public testing.

2) Released a map unprotected.

I guess you could call it paranoia, doesn't mean it isn't entirely reasonable though ^^

Edit: Updated previous post with the download link for what will hopefully be the final map version.

Judges, if at all possible, when you post a list with links to the maps which were entered (assuming that you do), can you use the final version of this instead? Of course all judging should be done on the original, but people will generally download whatever is being directly linked to, and I'd prefer they not download a faulty version especially since the two maps have the same file name ^^

The changes were:

-Optimized a number of triggers to help reduce possible map lag.
-Level information now only appears when you're getting other information.
-Added a toggle for background music.
-Added a sound to indicate when you've made a purchase at a store.
-Fixed possible rare trigger conflict which would have killed you.
-General improvements in trigger design.
-Slight terrain alterations.
-Updated mission briefing.

There, hopefully that's it for map updates. I will do my best to put this in the DLDB tomorrow, though I have been more cramped for time lately than usual. Sister is getting married soon so, you know, life and stuff ^^

Edit: Here's the DLDB entry for the final version.

http://www.staredit.net/files/2207/

Post has been edited 7 time(s), last time on May 17 2010, 9:20 am by Azrael666-.

May 19 2010, 11:14 pm EzTerix Post #94

Wondering when the results are coming in since the next contest should be starting soon =)

None.

May 20 2010, 2:29 am UnholyUrine Post #95

Because of the length of certain games.. it's taking me a long time to go thru all of it..
Plus, you guys released a lot of them X.X .. so it's taking some time...

n yes... the 3rd one is coming soon ;)

None.

May 20 2010, 3:05 am CecilSunkure Post #96

I'm really busy all of a sudden with real life things. I don't know when I'll get these maps judged, but I will -don't worry. Just a heads up. I believe another contest will be started shortly, though that won't affect this one in any way.

None.

May 20 2010, 6:46 am Azrael Post #97

Just remember to save your games, makes it a lot easier to judge these kinds of maps with limited time ^^

May 28 2010, 5:52 am UnholyUrine Post #98

Finished playing (fully) and reviewed 4/8 of the maps...
God dang @_@

None.

Jun 3 2010, 4:30 am Leeroy_Jenkins Post #99

It's been one month. Srsly.... :rolleyes:

None.

Jun 4 2010, 4:59 pm UnholyUrine Post #100

've been busy with Alpha Marines..
srsly... :stfu: :(

We're also waiting for Cecil to finish his exams before doing the 4th.. but hopefully, loveless and I can get the reviews done for this before that...
tho.. I haven't seen loveless a lot either :O

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 « 3 4 5 6 >
  Back to forum