Staredit Network > Forums > Technology & Computers > Topic: Searching for Talent
Searching for Talent
Apr 7 2010, 2:18 am
By: A_of-s_t  

Jun 2 2010, 8:11 pm A_of-s_t Post #21

aka idmontie

I'm glad to know that the two people I contacted never got back to me with examples of their work. O well, I have gotten a writer, a 2D graphics artist, and a programmer to join the development team. I'm still looking for a 3D artist and a composer.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 2 2010, 8:29 pm poison_us Post #22

Back* from the grave

I can do testing :P
Really, though, basically anything that doesn't involve graphics, real programming, or audio I can do, although I guess that's nothing to be proud of.

Jun 3 2010, 8:32 pm Jack Post #23

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Quote from A_of-s_t
I'm glad to know that the two people I contacted never got back to me with examples of their work. O well, I have gotten a writer, a 2D graphics artist, and a programmer to join the development team. I'm still looking for a 3D artist and a composer.
You could try Mesk ;o He's not amazing at either but can at least do them.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 4 2010, 1:30 am A_of-s_t Post #24

aka idmontie

Quote from Jack
You could try Mesk ;o He's not amazing at either but can at least do them.
He works solo, I've already asked.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 4 2010, 2:00 am Jack Post #25

Magicide offered to do soundtracks, which I assume means composing. As for 3D, only myself, corbo, and Biophysicist a little, model. I haven't got time, but you could ask the other two via PM.

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jun 9 2010, 2:23 am A_of-s_t Post #26

aka idmontie

We are now looking at the option of having a specialized programmer in charge of creating a set of chat bots for the game. This would mean making a chatbox from scratch that responds to player's questions, asks questions of the player that require a response, has different emotional 'states', and changes over time. I've already looked into A.L.I.C.E. and I wasn't happy with the C++ versions of it.

This position would require designing an external file structure for use with a dll that contains functions to read the external file that contains the information for the A.I., functions to choose what the A.I. should print, functions to handle user input that we can link to and reuse. Keep in mind, the A.I. does need emotional states, and it needs to change with the player and how the player interacts with it.

Here's an except from the development article we are creating:

Features
Dialogue
Option 1:
The player is able to actively choose the dialogue that the protagonist says. After initiating a conversation with a suspect, or just an A.I. controlled NPC, the player can choose responses to questions or statements to say. There is a problem about how to keep track of all of the decisions. There are a few ways to handle this. An easy way to accomplish this is a tree; the following drawing illustrates an example conversation:

This simple tree demonstrates two possible answers to the question "How are you?" The player can then choose either "Good" or "Bad." This can easily be coded; a class has private members "left" and "right" which represent abstract branches of the tree. The "left" would point to "Good" and the "right" would point to "Bad" (in the picture, boxes are classes, while arrows represent pointers). However, what if the storyline called for three options -- like adding "Okay" to the list of answers? Likewise, what if, instead of "That's great!", the storyline required the suspect to ask "How come?" no matter the response? Certain dialogues have multiple responses, so how is this handled? The tree can of course, branch off as many times as possible and can convert to the same outcome:

Code
/*
* Use a tree
*/

class tree {
private:
 class node {
 public:
   string data;
 private:
   node *right;
   node *left;
 friend class tree;
 };
public:
 node *root;
 tree() {
   root = NULL;
 }
 //etc
};

The script then needs to be translated into code. We can label each split as a node. Once we have a set of nodes, we can link them, and pass a string into the data that will be printed.

The tree starts with the node "How are you?" and links to "Good" and "Bad." "Bad" then links to two other nodes. Therefor, nodes are initialized for each decision (with the start being initialized as the tree) and then the entire tree in constructed. "Good" becomes the left pointer node of "How are you" and "Bad" becomes the right pointer node. "Good" then will most likely call a function to print the next piece of dialogue ("That's great") and then will point to NULL for both its left and right pointer nodes; thus, the 'search' down the tree ends and "Good" becomes what is known as a leaf. The leafs are then stored in some type of structure for the program to know what decisions the player has made. If a node points to NULL, then it becomes a leaf.

Code
/*
* Basic tree class that points to a starter node
*/
class tree {
public:
 tree() {start = NULL}
 //overload constructor
 tree(node * node_ptr) { start = node_ptr; }
private:
 node * start;
};
    /*
* Simple node class that points to two other nodes.
*/
class node {
public:
 node() {
   left = NULL;
   right = NULL;
 node * left;
 node * right;
};

Option 2:
Another option is to write out all the dialog in an xml file and have a dialog class that when initialized would parse the xml file and store the data in a hash table.

Option 3:
Use an .ini file:

Code
[q0001]
question  = How are you?
answer1   = Good
target1   = q0002
answer2   = Bad
target2   = q0003

[q0002]
question  = O, great!

[q0003]
question  = How come?
answer1   = blah
target1   = blah
answer2   = blah
target2   = blah

Option 4:
An ambitious idea: allow the player to construct their own responses and questions using something similar to A.L.I.C.E. I suppose we should (if we go this route) write our own AI chat system since after searching I (Ivan) have found very little. The AI bot would have to be able to be recoded for each character, it would have to have 'states', it would have to change with time, etc.

Option 5:
Combine a quick response feature with a chatbot feature. The player is given the ability to either ask precreated questions or answer with precreated statements, but also has the ability to type in questions and statements for greater depth and investigation.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 9 2010, 2:36 am by A_of-s_t.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 9 2010, 2:51 am Apos Post #27

I order you to forgive yourself!

Not sure if I can help, but I can program in Java.

Jun 19 2010, 1:59 am A_of-s_t Post #28

aka idmontie

First development meeting is tomorrow. We have 41 pages of material to cover and we need to whittle the list of features down to ones we can practically implement into the game. I'll update this and tell everyone how it goes.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 19 2010, 3:41 am Riney Post #29

Thigh high affectionado

< VB6 Scripting extrodinare

Though I suppose if I could teach myself VB6 code (And some hard code too), I could probably learn another language fairly quickly

Riney#6948 on Discord.
Riney on Steam (Steam)
@RineyCat on Twitter

-- Updated as of December 2021 --

Jun 21 2010, 9:20 pm A_of-s_t Post #30

aka idmontie

Flames of Redfield Press Release
Idea Birth Announces New Investigative Mystery Game, Flames of Redfield

Phoenix, AZ--Idea Birth is proud to announce that it will begin development of Flames of Redfield. The game will be an investigative mystery first person shooter, taking elements of successful games such as Condemned and Grand Theft Auto. By adding a large emphasis on the psychological aspect video games, Flames of Redfield promises to -- if anything -- deliver an experience that will immerse the player in the depths of a murder mystery. Flames of Redfield will be released in December 21, 2012.

Flames of Redfield is a sandbox-style mystery first person shooter video game with role-playing elements developed by Idea Birth. The game takes place in the fictional town of Redfield in the late 1990's and follows an unnamed protagonist as he unravels clues to discover who murdered his wife, Miranda.

Idea Birth is a development business dedicated to providing players with realistic games with existing technology.

###
Press Contact:
Ivan Montiel
Project Lead
ivanmontiel.ideabirth@gmail.com

Ryan Price
President of Sales and Marketing
ryanprice.ideabirth@gmail.com

If you wish to help, visit: http://flamesofredfield.wikispaces.com/ .

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jun 22 2010, 2:52 am Apos Post #31

I order you to forgive yourself!

Looking forward to see how that turns out :)

Jun 22 2010, 7:56 pm A_of-s_t Post #32

aka idmontie

Here are some pics from the prototype I made to demonstrate the Irrlicht Engine to my development team:

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Jul 2 2010, 6:58 am Jack Post #33

Those are sorta bad graphics to show off an engine like Irrlicht with, you'd be better off showing them some from the ones on the site, eg http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/screenshots-projects.html

Red classic.

Jul 2 2010, 12:25 pm MadZombie Post #34

It's like a a slight lower quality version of dues ex. Cool.

None.

Jul 10 2010, 1:34 am A_of-s_t Post #35

aka idmontie

I'm thinking of going with a rotoscoping style, almost like Killer7:

I'll be going for a similar look, but really different gameplay.

Personal GitHub
TwitchTV

Options
  Back to forum