Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Direction System
Direction System
Mar 28 2010, 8:01 am
By: poison_us  

Apr 2 2010, 8:02 am Wormer Post #21

Quote from name:yoonkwun
The map I posted works multiplayer as well. Can't have any Mac users though.
Confirmed. Rally point EUD detection should work in multiplayer.

Some.

Apr 2 2010, 8:29 am poison_us Post #22

Back* from the grave

Because all it does is detect a shared condition, not a client-sided one like mouse location.

Apr 2 2010, 4:39 pm Wormer Post #23

Isn't this working for you?

Some.

Apr 2 2010, 4:40 pm CecilSunkure Post #24

You can do selection detection on units. Farty once made a defense map where you bought units by clicking on a group of neutral owned units. You could possibly do this by having each cell be a neutral owned unit, which something like a mutalisk morph egg over the middle to show up on the minimap as who currently owns the cell.

None.

Apr 3 2010, 5:59 am poison_us Post #25

Back* from the grave

Quote from Wormer
Isn't this working for you?
Oh, it is, but as of right now there's no way for me to "clear" it so that the players don't constantly send units. Also, cecil, I'm searching for that map right now.

Apr 3 2010, 6:09 am Apos Post #26

I order you to forgive yourself!

Quote from poison_us
Oh, it is, but as of right now there's no way for me to "clear" it so that the players don't constantly send units. Also, cecil, I'm searching for that map right now.

To clear it, just add an other condition. (You can set up a death counter for example.)

Apr 3 2010, 6:27 am poison_us Post #27

Back* from the grave

That's not what I mean. Adding another condition would simply make it that much harder to make this work. The rally point itself will not clear, and that is my problem. If I remove and recreate a building, which I already tried in a test map, it continues to create units as if I had never removed it. Even worse than that, however, is the possibility that a unit could be created while the building is removed, giving that unit the building's ID and messing the entire system up. In short, from my test map, the rally point is stored, even if the building tied to it is destroyed.

Only setting another rally point will affect it, which isn't really viable, considering I want the players to be able to send units as often as they want, even if it means allowing them to send to every other building on the map at the same time. The rally point detection simply could not do this, because if I wanted to use the honor system, starcraft would recalculate the units being sent out faster than a human could reset his rally point. If I wanted to have a cooldown, it would necessitate waiting until every unit is sent, which could take up to 75 trigger loops, or roughly 7 seconds (~12 triggers per real-time second on fastest), and I am simply not letting that happen.

BTW, I sent a PM to farty, because even after I found a topic that was exclusively on selection detection, I couldn't figure out how to work it.

Apr 3 2010, 6:32 am Apos Post #28

I order you to forgive yourself!

Did you try to satisfy the rally point? (Move the building where it's supposed to go.) Maybe it could clear it?

Apr 3 2010, 6:47 am poison_us Post #29

Back* from the grave

No, and after browsing, I found yoon's EUD mini-database, and that helped. I'm now using selection detection, and this topic is O.K. to close.

Thanks everyone.

Apr 3 2010, 7:08 am rockz Post #30

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

http://www.staredit.net/topic/6865/#141727
Selection detection is easy.

So I'm not sure what you're trying to do still. How are units created? How do you want the units ordered? As soon as they spawn from the building, do you want them to go to some rally point, or wait a little while? Do you want them to only move as soon as you tell them to, then once one has moved, another is created?

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Apr 3 2010, 7:20 am poison_us Post #31

Back* from the grave

Well, that's all easy, and wasn't the problem. I actually plan on finishing the map I'm making this time, so just wait. I wanted a minimalistic method of finding where the players wanted their minions to "attack", and selection detection accomplishes my goal. I can PM you with some details if you're really interested/impatient, because this should take me a good month or month and a half, for both of the sets of EUDs I will be using.

Apr 3 2010, 7:51 am rockz Post #32

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

I just want to help you with your problem. If it's solved, then we can lock the thread.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Apr 3 2010, 8:45 am payne Post #33

:payne:

Devilesk's Egg Ball map was Multiplayer selection EUD, no? ;o

None.

Apr 3 2010, 4:28 pm rockz Post #34

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

if you mean futbol, then yes.

Apr 12 2010, 4:25 am Newb Post #35

Well I created these maps based on that link of that game you gave us. Of course this is just the general idea that you can modify, such as, the units, how you want them to move, etc.

EDIT: once the units stop ( on the anywhere one ) you can move them again.
Unit Order is almost exactly like the game you posted

Attachments:
Unit Order.scm
Hits: 0 Size: 39.14kb
Unit Order (anywhere).scm
Hits: 2 Size: 39.12kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 12 2010, 9:37 pm by Newb.

None.

Options
  Back to forum