Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Production > Topic: Bonded by Blood
Bonded by Blood
Jan 17 2010, 2:15 am
By: Norm
Pages: < 1 2 3

Jan 20 2010, 4:03 am Norm Post #41

Quote from Vrael
I don't know if this is relevant to you or not, but the past tense of "bond" is "bound," not "bonded"

The two people the title refers to CURRENTLY have a bond of blood. They are therefore bonded.

Also, "Bonded by Blood" is the name of one of the best Thrash albums of all time, so gtfo.

Quote from Xero
Hm, that's interesting. So you have a choice of going for a rapid stone growth with the downside of being unable to kill certain spawns or a balanced build at a much slower pace. I like :D

Yeah, and there is a similar balance for how the player handles stat points and which weapon they pick / which support spells they will be using.

ALSO: I'm just working out some bugs with the first boss room right now, but his triggering is done. Then I just gotta do 1-2 cutscenes and the sequence at the end of the first dungeon and that'll be a wrap for the demo. I'll prolly post it up here tomorrow night.

None.

Jan 20 2010, 5:06 am Vrael Post #42

You may still want to consider the relationship between the words "bond" and "bound" and "bind." For example, "bonded" implies some sort of relationship, but "bound" implies an inescapable connection. If blood is just a facet of the rpg, perhaps "bonded" is appropriate, but if the characters' bloodlines have forged some inevitable fate, "bound" would be more appropriate.

None.

Jan 20 2010, 5:16 pm Norm Post #43

Quote from Vrael
You may still want to consider the relationship between the words "bond" and "bound" and "bind." For example, "bonded" implies some sort of relationship, but "bound" implies an inescapable connection. If blood is just a facet of the rpg, perhaps "bonded" is appropriate, but if the characters' bloodlines have forged some inevitable fate, "bound" would be more appropriate.

Stop trying to expose spoilers with your analysis of my RPG's title. I assure you that I used the best word to describe binding in the context of the RPG.

None.

Jan 20 2010, 9:52 pm Vrael Post #44

Quote from Norm
I assure you that I used the best word to describe binding in the context of the RPG.
Or you copied the title from "one of the best thrash albums of all time" :P

None.

Jan 20 2010, 9:59 pm Norm Post #45

Quote from Vrael
Quote from Norm
I assure you that I used the best word to describe binding in the context of the RPG.
Or you copied the title from "one of the best thrash albums of all time" :P

Which doubles as the optimal wording to describe the binding in the context of the RPG. Stop trolling me, this isn't Serious Discussion.

Anyway, I might not get the DEMO out tonight, but sometime this week yeah.

None.

Jan 21 2010, 5:32 am Norm Post #46

Alright, I slaved very hard over the past 5 days to be able to show you this:

Here are a few things to know before downloading
•Accommodates 1 OR 2 Players.
•Does not have a definite ending, but there isn't much game play left once you defeat the first boss. (It's only a demo).
•The portion of the story demonstrated in the DEMO is by no means final.

Basic Controls
•Hotkey robot bay for easier access to spells.
•Sell extra armors in the shop.
•Unburrow unit under your character to access Menu.
•Move to edge of screen to transition to the next screen.

Final Note: I already know about the type where I spelled "Samurai" with two i's once or twice. Sorry, it's fixed in the non-demo version.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 22 2010, 6:42 am by Norm.

None.

Jan 21 2010, 10:08 pm JaFF Post #47

Just tried it. The main problem is entering the menu - it's very annoying and counter-intuitive with the zergling. You have to re-select it every time and the detection time is quite slow. Also it pushed me out of a screen once. I strongly recomment that you just have a motion-detection of a zergling somewhere in a corner of the map. Why haven't you done that in the first place, anyway?

At the cave-in, there was some grey text which was a bit hard to read.

Menu layout is very simple and effective. Kudos for that.

...I think that's all the feedback for now. Keep up the good work! :)

None.

Jan 21 2010, 10:46 pm Norm Post #48

I know where you're coming from about the menu detection, but I feel that artistically, my current approach is the best for the map. It's just that I'm going for a very traditional, personal feel to it I dunno if you kinda know what I'm talking about but I just wanted to try something new that was specific to my RPG - and both myself and my tester got pretty attached to the system.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the grey text (I meant to make it white) and lol thanks for noticing my inventory layout. I actually spent a LOT of time trying to optimize it (prolly around the 4 hour mark on that one) but yeah I'm glad you found it simple to use. Thanks for feedback.

Now, I have a question for anyone who has gotten close to the end of the DEMO: How well did you handle the boss fight? and Was it easy enough to figure out? I kinda get worried just because that's the first AI-ish thing I've triggered for an enemy unit and It feels good to me, but I'm the maker ><. Just any feedback regarding the boss fight would be great.

Finally, I am just adding a bit of information to the OP to just tell a little bit more about what kind of things to expect from the map.
No, I'll do this later I gotta go and the website just made me lose all my edits I typed ><.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jan 21 2010, 10:56 pm by Norm.

None.

Jan 21 2010, 11:07 pm Jack Post #49

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

The final boss was weird. I could use the Bright eyes spell to see him but whenever I got close enough to attack him, he one-hits me, even though he only has 36 attack?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 22 2010, 4:00 am Norm Post #50

Quote from name:zany_001
The final boss was weird. I could use the Bright eyes spell to see him but whenever I got close enough to attack him, he one-hits me, even though he only has 36 attack?

PM'd to avoid spoiling it for anyone else.

None.

Jan 22 2010, 6:43 am Norm Post #51

I made a mistake releasing the last DEMO. This is the DEMO with a few corrections including 1 glitch and 1 balance issue.

Attachments:
BBB[DEMO].scx
Hits: 10 Size: 188.1kb

None.

Jan 23 2010, 1:01 am Xero Post #52

Finished the demo. It was quite hard in the beginning, took me several tries. The first boss was easy, though the placement of the DA's don't exactly line up with the terrain. As a tester, I tried to do various things to break the game, but I didn't find any so far. One thing though, if you heal at the inn, your menu will sometimes show up. I believe this only happens if you go to the inn and the zergling gets moved somewhere. Iunno how to explain it clearly, but if you just heal at the inn and time it correctly, your menu should come up. Just a minor thing.

None.

Jan 24 2010, 10:45 pm Norm Post #53

Judging from the demo, is this map worth finishing?

None.

Jan 24 2010, 10:46 pm Jack Post #54

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Yes, just so I can make a better map ;o

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Jan 28 2010, 3:01 am Norm Post #55

Alrighty, I have terrain up until about the second dungeon completed. Progress is slower now after that push for a DEMO, but I'm still technically ahead of schedule.

None.

Jan 28 2010, 3:15 am payne Post #56

:payne:

Quote from Norm
Is it -that- bad? D=

None.

Jan 28 2010, 3:19 am Norm Post #57

Quote from payne
Quote from Norm
Is it -that- bad? D=

I dunno - you tell me.

(I Think it's pretty good)

None.

Jan 28 2010, 3:25 am Xero Post #58

Finish it. It's worth it.

None.

Feb 11 2010, 10:41 am JaFF Post #59

Any progress/updates on the map?

None.

Jun 5 2010, 10:39 pm lil-Inferno Post #60

Just here for the pie

Are you still working on this? I liked it, as much as I've seen at least.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum