Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: Op SEN Enforcement
Op SEN Enforcement
Sep 29 2009, 8:57 pm
By: Moose
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >

Sep 29 2009, 10:02 pm Excalibur Post #21

The sword and the faith

Greetings SEN,
I think one thing we can agree on, is there were definitely some problems in Op SEN as to conduct, language, and spamming. People pressing enter after every word, flaming each other, and generally doing things that would earn you some serious severity here on SEN.

Op SEN is an extension of Staredit.net, it is our connection to bnet. It is under our name, and therefore represents us. As such, we should make it a place that we are not ashamed to be associated with. The new rules are in place because some people ruined things for the majority of people. I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to find out who's consistently breaking the rules, getting kicked/banned, and causing trouble, nor do I have a script to do it for me. I am not going to read through two months worth of bot logs making tallies so you can continue asking magic 8 ball questions to your pointless bots.

Why are all bots banned? Because some people were irresponsible with theirs. If you want anyone to be sore at, then that's who's to blame. Our hands were forced in this matter, and I would have preferred that our Op SENners were able to handle themselves properly without moderation having to come down on them.

I may in the future create a criteria, test, or some sort of bot authorization process, however if I did, it would probably be this:
Your bot may not have a trigger or answer to any commands. Bots would be for logging/chatting purposes only.

I challenge anyone to bring me any valid purpose besides logging and chatting that you need your bot for. Note that it'd be a reason I actually have to care about, or does SEN/Op SEN an actual service.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Sep 29 2009, 10:05 pm Moose Post #22

We live in a society.

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
- even though this is a SC channel it should not strictly enfore ONLY SC discussion, really now, we're human
It doesn't.

- map making discussion is more private, lethal/morphling/kaias left to their own hideout and are more productive
Stop and ask yourself why.

Quote from lil-Inferno
I noticed that MiniMoose2707 thought it was annoying that saying -whoami and -seen [x] broadcasts a public message; both of those commands have been disabled for people without access.
Was the access denied message just specifically for the seen command? I find that hard to believe and quite peculiar indeed if true.

Sep 29 2009, 10:24 pm Dem0n Post #23

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Bot, starcraft, IT'S THE SAME THING! Starcraft users spam also, yet I never see them banned. You have no justification. You want to make op sen look nice because it's associated with the site? Give me one or two examples from the last two weeks of a bot constantly flaming or spamming. The bot spamming has been at an all-time low recently, and now you just randomly decide to ban them? That makes no fucking sense.

I use my bot to talk to people. I don't like being kicked off every two minutes (and no, I will not resort to hacks), so I leave my bot on. My key is muted, so it's not like I can even talk on my bot. When people come into op sen, they're not like, "oh look, people are spamming here, staredit.net must be a bad site." Unless you're a member of SEN, nobody goes to it unless they have friends in SEN. Everyone on SEN spams, so why should the bots be banned?

You challenge us to bring you a valid reason for letting bots in? I challenge you to give us something other than the "Op sen represents SEN, therefore we can't have any bots." They don't do anything, and the mods have access to most of them anyways.

Oh yeah, and Moose, you told Kevin to ask himself why map makers got their own private channel? I hardly doubt it's because of five bots (at most) talking in the channel. Everyone on sen, and even people outside of sen, yell and spam that channel, and don't try to deny it.

Sep 29 2009, 10:32 pm Excalibur Post #24

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Dem0nS1ayer
Bot, starcraft, IT'S THE SAME THING! Starcraft users spam also, yet I never see them banned.
I ban people all the time. This hammer isn't just for show.

You have no justification.
I am the law.

You want to make op sen look nice because it's associated with the site? Give me one or two examples from the last two weeks of a bot constantly flaming or spamming.
Constant magic 8 balls and quotes on various occasions. I'll post the logs if you want me to, but I think you know I'm right. You just want something to BAWWW about.

The bot spamming has been at an all-time low recently, and now you just randomly decide to ban them? That makes no fucking sense.
Citation needed. I'd also like you to make me a graph showing the highs and lows of bot spamming and logs to verify your statistics.

I use my bot to talk to people. I don't like being kicked off every two minutes (and no, I will not resort to hacks), so I leave my bot on. My key is muted, so it's not like I can even talk on my bot.
If you don't want to do something, we're not going to force you. Just like you can't force us to let your silly bot in. :rolleyes:

When people come into op sen, they're not like, "oh look, people are spamming here, staredit.net must be a bad site." Unless you're a member of SEN, nobody goes to it unless they have friends in SEN.
Citation needed. I assume you can read minds as well as that's the only way you could know what people's impressions are. Are you god too? Just figured I'd ask while I'm at it.

Everyone on SEN spams, so why should the bots be banned?
Citation needed on the first, and the bots were banned due to abuse. Like I said, I can get the logs if you really want to go there, however I hope you're smart enough to know better, and if you're not, I think being that ignorant is against the rules somewhere.

You challenge us to bring you a valid reason for letting bots in?
Yes I do.

I challenge you
You're not staff, you have no such authority to challenge me in any way. Don't like it? Take it up with my superiors.

Oh yeah, and Moose, you told Kevin to ask himself why map makers got their own private channel? I hardly doubt it's because of five bots (at most) talking in the channel. Everyone on sen, and even people outside of sen, yell and spam that channel, and don't try to deny it.
Citation of number of bots needed, and I'd like to see evidence of everyone spamming and yelling, and I mean everyone. I mean you have to provide me with logs of everyone who's ever been in Op SEN ever. That is of course, if you can prove your ridiculous claims, or if you'd rather you could stop BAWWing.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 10:32 pm lil-Inferno Post #25

Just here for the pie

Quote from Mini Moose 2707
Was the access denied message just specifically for the seen command? I find that hard to believe and quite peculiar indeed if true.
I didn't create the plugin. I apologize for this. I removed the script from my bot folder but forgot to reload my bot's script (it wasn't disabled just from deleting it) because not only was the "Access Denied" annoying, but also because it caused major lag having to gather information from everyone that was coming and going. I'm sorry, it won't happen again.

Quote from Excalibur
I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to find out who's consistently breaking the rules, getting kicked/banned, and causing trouble, nor do I have a script to do it for me. I am not going to read through two months worth of bot logs making tallies so you can continue asking magic 8 ball questions to your pointless bots.
Perhaps have a 'vigilante system' within Op SEN that allows known, responsible, active members, to have access to the SEN bot and have the ability to vote for someone to be kicked out of the channel? FaRTy would need to write a script for it (unless one exists out there) but I think it could bring some justice to SEN without you having to go through pages of moderation logs. Alternatively, I think that there are enough active people with access that can kick people themselves.

Quote from Excalibur
Why are all bots banned? Because some people were irresponsible with theirs. If you want anyone to be sore at, then that's who's to blame. Our hands were forced in this matter, and I would have preferred that our Op SENners were able to handle themselves properly without moderation having to come down on them.
You can't solve a problem by ruining it for everybody because one person was abusive. That just creates unconstructive whining and complaining, not saying that any of the previous posters were not constructive. Think back to when you were in middle school and a fight started at lunch, so some faculty member decided it would be a great punishment to bring fries or another treat away from the lunchroom for some period of time for everyone. I think you'd hear some moans and groans. You could have just banned the one person or just warned them not to do it anymore (along with a kick to show you mean business).

Quote from Excalibur
I may in the future create a criteria, test, or some sort of bot authorization process, however if I did, it would probably be this: Your bot may not have a trigger or answer to any commands. Bots would be for logging/chatting purposes only.
As long as the test isn't too stringent, I agree that it should be done; however, not having ANY commands at all? Don't you think that's going a bit too far?

Quote from Excalibur
I challenge anyone to bring me any valid purpose besides logging and chatting that you need your bot for. Note that it'd be a reason I actually have to care about, or does SEN/Op SEN an actual service.
As I said in my first post in this topic: with the help of my bot, I was able to make a refuge channel when Op SEN was flooded (I believe it was two times). If you don't care about something like that then you most definitely do not care about the main channel.

Sep 29 2009, 10:37 pm Excalibur Post #26

The sword and the faith

@Inferno
First point noted.

Second, as you can see from Vrael, some of our mods cant even be trusted with access. Not going to happen.

Third, as I said, people were whining enough on individual bans that I figured getting it all done at once would be a lot less painful.

Fourth, no bots or no commands. Take your pick.

Fifth, sure that's one good use in one good situation. And you didn't really require any commands to do that did you?

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 10:42 pm Excalibur Post #27

The sword and the faith

You're the law, Ex?
That's correct.

Yeah, only because you wanted to revive maplantis, which failed horribly.
Actually the ML revival endangered my position here if anything.

Fuck off with the citation shit.
Make me.

I spend more time in that channel in one day than you have in a week;
Citation needed.

I think I know who spams, and who doesn't.
What you know has nothing to do with it.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 10:44 pm Moose Post #28

We live in a society.

Bot, starcraft, IT'S THE SAME THING! Starcraft users spam also, yet I never see them banned.
You must not have been in the channel for this.
But, they're going to get banned. Just you wait.

Everyone on sen, and even people outside of sen, yell and spam that channel, and don't try to deny it.
For some reason you seem to think that exemptions to the rules will be granted to non-bots by virtue of them being users. This is not the case.

Quote from lil-Inferno
As I said in my first post in this topic: with the help of my bot, I was able to make a refuge channel when Op SEN was flooded (I believe it was two times).
So let me get this straight: You used your bot to help SEN by taking it out of op SEN?

Sep 29 2009, 10:45 pm Dem0n Post #29

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Citation needed.
I stir up conversations all the time, and I see you talk once every couple of days.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Sep 30 2009, 3:13 am by Mini Moose 2707. Reason: Last sentence is irrelevant. Back-handed flame toward Excalibur.

Sep 29 2009, 10:46 pm Excalibur Post #30

The sword and the faith

I stir up conversations all the time, and I see you talk once every couple of days. If you just sit at your computer, stare at your bot, and take note of who spams and who doesn't, I think you need to acquire a social life, fast.
Remind me what this has to do with you being wrong right? Oh wait... :rolleyes:

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 10:46 pm Centreri Post #31

Relatively ancient and inactive

I am the law.
Not a justification.

Constant magic 8 balls and quotes on various occasions. I'll post the logs if you want me to, but I think you know I'm right. You just want something to BAWWW about.
So get a reporting script, or just ban bots you see doing it.

Citation needed. I assume you can read minds as well as that's the only way you could know what people's impressions are. Are you god too? Just figured I'd ask while I'm at it.
Applicable to you, too. You just assumed the opposite.

Citation needed on the first, and the bots were banned due to abuse. Like I said, I can get the logs if you really want to go there, however I hope you're smart enough to know better, and if you're not, I think being that ignorant is against the rules somewhere.
Abuse of certain bots, not all bots. For example... CHATBOTS.

Yes I do.
To chat in op SEN without turning on SC, an old, slow game that screws up its palette and may randomly minimize due to it being outdated and the resolution difference. Bots make chatting much, much easier.

That's what I found wrong with your post. Try not to take it too personally. I largely agree with Demonslayer, but Inferno brings up very good compromises.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 10:47 pm l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #32

Just here for the activity... well not really

http://lynxy.no-ip.com/pinggnome/?action=browse&page=view&realm=USEast&chan=op+sen
While not completely accurate, it serves as a valid citation.

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Sep 29 2009, 10:48 pm Dem0n Post #33

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote from Excalibur
I stir up conversations all the time, and I see you talk once every couple of days. If you just sit at your computer, stare at your bot, and take note of who spams and who doesn't, I think you need to acquire a social life, fast.
Remind me what this has to do with you being wrong right? Oh wait... :rolleyes:

Aw, that's cute, Ex. Use little smiley faces to help get your point across. The truth is, you don't have a point. Your reasoning for everything is, "i'm the law, i have more power, you can't say shit." I'm tired of it. Just because you have more power, doesn't mean you should be able to do whatever you want. This is a forum. The members should be happy. So far, the only happy person I've seen is yourself.

Sep 29 2009, 10:50 pm lil-Inferno Post #34

Just here for the pie

Quote from Excalibur
Second, as you can see from Vrael, some of our mods cant even be trusted with access. Not going to happen.
Hence why I said it should only be given to trusted, responsible, members. I'm not going to be a rat, but I've also seen people other than Vrael abuse power, banning random people without reason.

Quote from Excalibur
Third, as I said, people were whining enough on individual bans that I figured getting it all done at once would be a lot less painful.
I seem to remember the SEN bot saying that flames and spam would result in a ban. Everyone has their moments, some more than others (not gonna mention any names [sub]devilesk) but that doesn't mean everyone is to take the blame for it. Also, receiving a ping is not spam. You shouldn't force a whisper in order to use a command. It should be entirely optional for the person using the command. I myself cannot receive whispers, and for that reason I can't send whispers in order to use commands.

Quote from Excalibur
Fifth, sure that's one good use in one good situation. And you didn't really require any commands to do that did you?
Actually I did. I had a greet message, which happened to whisper the person, set on it telling people to go to "Op lil-Inferno" (the refuge) and when the person who was flooding finally realized that everyone was heading there, I had to ban all of the bots that came into the channel. I managed to fight them off, though.

EDIT:
http://lynxy.no-ip.com/pinggnome/?action=browse&page=view&realm=USEast&chan=op+sen
While not completely accurate, it serves as a valid citation.
PingGnome@Azeroth was banned by MrrLL in Op SEN. It was unbanned, but I'm just saying: You shouldn't ban someone trying to gather information, and it's a useful tool for finding various statistics of your ping as well as find some fun facts about Battle.net.

Sep 29 2009, 10:51 pm Excalibur Post #35

The sword and the faith

Quote from Centreri
I am the law.
Not a justification.
I disagree.

Quote from Centreri
So get a reporting script, or just ban bots you see doing it.
Why not just ban bots? They're not doing anything useful anyway.

Quote from Centreri
Applicable to you, too. You just assumed the opposite.
I logically assumed that a place filled with spams and flames is not one I'd like to be in or be associated with since I don't like spamming or flaming. Silly me.

Quote from Centreri
Abuse of certain bots, not all bots. For example... CHATBOTS.
I may allow bots for chatting/logging purposes in the future after we get some criteria/requirements ironed out.

Quote from Centreri
Yes I do.
To chat in op SEN without turning on SC, an old, slow game that screws up its palette and may randomly minimize due to it being outdated and the resolution difference. Bots make chatting much, much easier.
Agreed.

Quote from Centreri
That's what I found wrong with your post. Try not to take it too personally. I largely agree with Demonslayer, but Inferno brings up very good compromises.
[05:15 pm]Excalibur -- There are people to blame, but it isn't us, we were just doing our jobs. If you don't like it Cent I'd be happy to give you a nice 'Banned' redirect page to read.
[05:18 pm]Centreri -- OH OKAY IM HAPPY.

I suggest you get happy again, and quickly.

Aw, that's cute, Ex. Use little smiley faces to help get your point across. The truth is, you don't have a point. Your reasoning for everything is, "i'm the law, i have more power, you can't say shit." I'm tired of it. Just because you have more power, doesn't mean you should be able to do whatever you want. This is a forum. The members should be happy. So far, the only happy person I've seen is yourself.
[05:18 pm]Centreri -- OH OKAY IM HAPPY.

^^

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 10:53 pm Vrael Post #36

I just wanted you all to know that the past 2 pages of this discussion completely justifies my stance on this issue.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 10:58 pm Centreri Post #37

Relatively ancient and inactive

You're not god, you're not administrator. You can't ban me, and arguing about this stuff is what this entire forum is for. You're going to need better justification than 'I don't like that you're arguing against me'.

Justification is giving a proper reason. The presidents needs to justify his decisions; he can't say 'I'm the President'.

To 'Why not just ban bots? They're not doing anything useful anyway.'
- You already contradicted that, right here: 'Agreed.', agreeing that Bots can be doing something useful - providing a better interface for chatting on battlenet.

'I may allow bots for chatting/logging purposes in the future after we get some criteria/requirements ironed out.'
- This is largely what people are arguing for here.

'I logically assumed that a place filled with spams and flames is not one I'd like to be in or be associated with since I don't like spamming or flaming. Silly me.'
- I haven't seen any flames in op SEN for three days. I've seen light spamming, but nothing that lasted for more than a minute. Neither of these was conducted by bots.

'I just wanted you all to know that the past 2 pages of this discussion completely justifies my stance on this issue.'
-Yah, mine too.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 11:00 pm Excalibur Post #38

The sword and the faith

Once again, Ex, you use your power to threaten others and say whatever you want. It's not fair.
Try this.

You seem to think that you can do whatever the hell you want,
Not at all. Moose is watching all of this. And I'm on MSN with him. If there was anything he didn't like going on, I'm sure he'd let me know.

You don't do anything but cause huge arguments for this site,
Gee, it's not like I'm a GM or anything. I don't do anything at all. In fact, unless I do something where you can see it, I bet it doesn't count right? :rolleyes:

and when you're not making everyone's lives miserable, you're constantly putting someone down for the things they post.
Actually I should be digging holes and burying them under their own ignorance, interpreting the rules to my advantage. That is actually something I could do. There are a lot of rule interpretations I can think of that would cover a lot of things I let go. But I'm not that sick of them yet. They'll get their chance, they're usually already digging their own holes by the time I get to them. For instance, you've already got a nice ditch going. ^^

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 11:03 pm Excalibur Post #39

The sword and the faith

Quote from Centreri
You're not god, you're not administrator. You can't ban me, and arguing about this stuff is what this entire forum is for. You're going to need better justification than 'I don't like that you're arguing against me'.
Purely joking Cent, you're too much fun to ban. Relax a little bit. You go from joke to serious faster than I can switch gears.

Quote from Centreri
Justification is giving a proper reason. The presidents needs to justify his decisions; he can't say 'I'm the President'.
Its a good thing I'm not president then, isn't it?

Quote from Centreri
To 'Why not just ban bots? They're not doing anything useful anyway.'
- You already contradicted that, right here: 'Agreed.', agreeing that Bots can be doing something useful - providing a better interface for chatting on battlenet.
I should've phrased that differently, I apologize. The bots were being more counterproductive than useful to the flow of the channel before, after we get our criteria worked out that should change. I'm sorry for the ambiguity.

Quote from Centreri
'I may allow bots for chatting/logging purposes in the future after we get some criteria/requirements ironed out.'
- This is largely what people are arguing for here.
I'll work on it, promise. :)

Quote from Centreri
'I logically assumed that a place filled with spams and flames is not one I'd like to be in or be associated with since I don't like spamming or flaming. Silly me.'
- I haven't seen any flames in op SEN for three days. I've seen light spamming, but nothing that lasted for more than a minute. Neither of these was conducted by bots.
The flaming rule was always in place and it was more users than bots on the flaming front. They'll be dealt with. Its my opinion that the users and bots spammed a good deal equally due to commands and the like.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Sep 29 2009, 11:03 pm Dem0n Post #40

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Ignorance? You've the most ignorant person I've seen on this site. All we're trying to say is that we mainly use bots as a form of communication, and that they don't even spam that much. But no, you, being the almighty god that you make yourself look like, constantly look over what we're saying. The only way I've ever seen you be helpful is by giving advice to people on how to make a computer, and if you know that much about computers and just play HoN all day, please, get out of your basement and make some friends.

Its a good thing I'm not president then, isn't it?

No, but according to you (and only you), you seem to be the law, which lets you do whatever you want without any justification.

And thanks for the ditch. I look forward to crawling into it.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 45 >
  Back to forum