Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Hero Sanctuary v1.10
Hero Sanctuary v1.10
Sep 26 2009, 8:33 pm
By: Norm
Pages: < 1 2 3 444 >

Sep 28 2009, 12:33 pm Norm Post #21

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Is it a secret or something if the samauri is zealot?!

Samurai is FENIX ZLOT. It's not a secret.

Quote from Vrael
Nice, I'm always a fan of any AoS-oriented map. Keep on truckin and pump this baby out.

Pump it out =). Alrighty, will do. I hope you enjoy the finished product.

SIDE NOTE: As I come closer and closer to completion, I would like to compile a list of people who will test BETA. I would prefer people with AoS-styled maps experience who can help me quickly identify issues and imbalances. That way we can polish this thing SUPER FAST.

None.

Sep 28 2009, 4:03 pm ClansAreForGays Post #22

Quote from Norm

Well now it's not (1 down, great). Why the hell wouldn't you put the sc unit you're using for each hero? It's a lot more important than some string that says 'necormancer' on it. You are baffling me.

Sep 28 2009, 4:13 pm Vrael Post #23

Quote from Norm

Well now it's not (1 down, great). Why the hell wouldn't you put the sc unit you're using for each hero? It's a lot more important than some string that says 'necormancer' on it. You are baffling me.
Good lord CAFG, chill. You'll see what's what when the map comes out.

So, was this entirely from scratch or did you use anything from other AoS maps? I've seen a few that look kinda similar to this, but maybe thats just because I haven't played them enough to know them well and easily recognize the differences this has.

Very happy about spawn being incorporated, that was one of the best parts about Storm the Fort, the fact you could either make a beastly hero or work on Base type stuff, and be able to win on either path.

None.

Sep 28 2009, 4:56 pm FlashBeer Post #24

They were explained in his other topic.

None.

Sep 28 2009, 9:50 pm ClansAreForGays Post #25

My point still stands.
It's like a ford releasing details about a new automobile coming out with even minute details even about how many cup holders it will have. Then they stop without telling you if it's a car or a truck... (Well you'll see when it comes out!)

Sep 29 2009, 12:36 am Tempz Post #26

Love It, Seems like a expansion for ts if it ever had one... has that fun simple game play of ts with added features such as the gas, iron, fuel, dusk, my god =p

Good luck on your map... err btw can i test the map?

None.

Sep 29 2009, 2:14 am Norm Post #27

I was greatly limited for characters in my post. I have to save room for lots of Screenshots and in-depth back stories for the heroes. Besides, some heroes have multiple forms, and some heroes would need a lot more explaining than just "ZLOT" or "DEFILER". I have a topic open about my original drafts for hero ideas and it has a little bit more information that you might be looking for. I will provide a link to it in one of the opening posts. Sorry for inconvenience.

Quote from Vrael
So, was this entirely from scratch or did you use anything from other AoS maps? I've seen a few that look kinda similar to this, but maybe thats just because I haven't played them enough to know them well and easily recognize the differences this has.

Very happy about spawn being incorporated, that was one of the best parts about Storm the Fort, the fact you could either make a beastly hero or work on Base type stuff, and be able to win on either path.

Oh, All of my maps that I ever made were made from scratch. This one follows that pattern. However, to make things easier on myself, I have taken systems that I have used before on previous maps and used them as influence for a lot of my systems in this map. For example, the HP and Magic scaling systems that I'm using have triggers almost identical to "Hunted". Also, one of my spells for SERPENT uses a system borrowed from my map "Explosion Slaughter Arena 2". There are also numerous spells that I have taken ideas from some of my earlier work: "HaXoR Battle RPG" and "Hunted."

In addition, the basic functions of the map are by no means original. You will be very familiar with the things that are possible if you have any experience with AoS, DOTA, or TS (To name the most popular). I have also set up the map's layout based on these past reputable AoS's so that experienced people in the AoS genre will have little to no difficulty adjusting to the ways I set things up. However, I can assure you that there are many original aspects of this map, and it is much more efficient in some cases than past maps of the genre.

Finally, Yeah about the spawn. I have made it play a much larger role in the map than the SEN community may be use to. To compensate, the base defenses scale to cope with the strength of the spawn, this is a system that I've never used before, so it'll require fine-tuning as we enter BETA stages.

Quote from Tempz
Love It, Seems like a expansion for ts if it ever had one... has that fun simple game play of ts with added features such as the gas, iron, fuel, dusk, my god =p

Good luck on your map... err btw can i test the map?

Haha. It could be an expansion, yes because I intend to incorporate everything about past AoS maps, and then adding even more while still retaining the gameplay to something that everyone is familiar with. Of course, all of the heroes are original and will play a lot differently than anything most AoS players will be use to. This is because the average # of spells for each hero in this map is 7. Also, the inclusion of "ARTIFACTS" will allow for even greater customization.

I'm also glad you like my "DUSK". I figured DAY+NIGHT is old, so a new time of day must be introduced. Unfortunately, I haven't worked out exact details on how DUSK will effect game play much besides how the map vision will be set up. It is significantly shorter than the other 2 times of day, so it's still up in the air about how exactly it will be incorporated.

p.s. OF COURSE YOU CAN TEST =) I will be needed a healthy supply of beta testers probably as early as mid-october.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 2:16 am TF- Post #28

🤙ðŸ¾

This has my full support, especially since all my favorite heroes from that thread seem to have made the cut, and hell yeah i wanna help betatest.
PM regarding writing has been sent.

🤙ðŸ¾

Sep 29 2009, 2:25 am Norm Post #29

Quote from TF-
This has my full support, especially since all my favorite heroes from that thread seem to have made the cut, and hell yeah i wanna help betatest.
PM regarding writing has been sent.

TY TY I will definitely put out a map that WILL NOT DISAPPOINT. PM has been replied to, so you have some more details on what I'm looking for.

If anyone else would like to contribute back-stories, send me a PM if you want some more guidance as to what exactly I'm talking about. =).

P.S I forgot to mention that I have made some more progress on my trigger work. I have just about completed some of the special functions especially for the MIND MACHINE and CREATURE OF MIST characters, and I am now going to start work on some of MIND MACHINES build-able functions such as the MP Channel, Steel Factory, and Bunker. I will probably also start on the re-spawning/lives system if I have enough time.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 2:30 am Jack Post #30

>be faceless void >mfw I have no face

Why is there a maximum level? Also, are there infinite dota-style lives, or TS lives?

Red classic.

"In short, their absurdities are so extreme that it is painful even to quote them."

Sep 29 2009, 2:34 am Norm Post #31

Quote from name:zany_001
Why is there a maximum level? Also, are there infinite dota-style lives, or TS lives?

3 Lives only.

55 is the maximum level because I felt like that was a good place to cut it off. If you get that far, you'll have more than enough resources to max out your HP, MP, MP REGEN, SPELL POWER, and have a shit-load of upgrades.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 3:25 am CecilSunkure Post #32

Here is the second revision of the backstory for the Necromancer. I wanted him to be respected, elusive, and fear inciting.

Collapsable Box

Suggestions? Necessary modifications?

Oh. If Norm allows it, I call the Serpent and AI!

Post has been edited 3 time(s), last time on Sep 30 2009, 2:02 am by CecilSunkure.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 3:31 am Norm Post #33

You have a good start going, but there are 2 key things that stand out as needing improvement to me:

1. It seems to be redundant quite a bit in different places.

2. You didn't include his story that caused him to be a Hero. Remember that every character in my map was a Hero in some way and they were significant enough to be called to this place where the map takes place.

Also, you can write about whatever characters you want. I just pick my favorites of the ones submitted to be included in the Map OP =).

None.

Sep 29 2009, 3:34 am CecilSunkure Post #34

He is a hero because he himself was resurrected and became all powerful. Since he is undead, he never ages. Is there something else you want? Like as in, some sort of Heroic Act?

Also, about it being redundant. I need to know specifically what you mean and how I should improve upon it.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 3:40 am UnholyUrine Post #35

Well, I'm definately impressed by your map description.

You have definately put a lot of thought into this, and it'd be great to see it all finished and ready to go on the map. Aside from the obvious "inspiration", you are very creative with your heroes, and I definately like the Artifacts idea. And don't let anyone tell you it's just a TS Copy, because, from the looks of it, you're aiming much higher :O

I'd love to test or help with anything u need (except terrain :C)

Good Luck :D

None.

Sep 29 2009, 3:45 am Norm Post #36

Quote from CecilSunkure
That Arcane Plane often destroys life as often as life is created there. Many have fallen, and many will remain fallen for eternity –that is, unless they are resurrected. The art of resurrecting the dead in the Arcane Plane remains very different from the art of summoning, as the art of summoning consists of calling forth living creatures; Necromancy (the art of resurrecting the dead) lies in a completely different line of magic. Though throughout the eons there have been necromancers who have risen and fallen, only one has remained.

I feel like this part could be described in a lot less words. Perhaps instead of explaining the way life is created, life is destroyed. Fallen, and remain fallen until ressurected. Risen and Fallen... but only one remains. This could instead be used to create a theme of Life and Death fitting hand and hand to form a cycle (See: Uroboros). You could go in depth about how he specializes in controlling this cycle and that's where his magic comes from.

I like how you handled a little detail about his spells. That part is good, but COULD be improved if you really wanted to with different wordings, you'd have to try it out for yourself because nothing stands out like "FIX ME".

You also go on a ways about his shroud and people fearing him. Don't forget that most of the being in the arcane plane know some form of magic or another, so there ARE people who wouldn't be scared of the necromancer, seeing as how other magics could be even stronger. The way you mention his shroud is interesting, but you don't expand enough about it's significance or how it functions.

Finally, yes the Necromancer is no longer on the Arcane plane. He, much like all of the other characters are trapped in the realm of where the map takes place. And I would really like it if you included reason why he is considered a hero. Because if he wasn't deemed a 'hero', he wouldn't be in the realm that this map takes place in.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 4:25 am Norm Post #37

Ahhhh, That is looking much better Cecil. The only thing left to work on is your transitioning a little bit to help the story flow a bit more. I could probably take some liberty at changing it SLIGHTLY to fit into the map perfectly, or I could let you perfect it on your own...

Quote from UnholyUrine
Well, I'm definately impressed by your map description.

You have definately put a lot of thought into this, and it'd be great to see it all finished and ready to go on the map. Aside from the obvious "inspiration", you are very creative with your heroes, and I definately like the Artifacts idea. And don't let anyone tell you it's just a TS Copy, because, from the looks of it, you're aiming much higher :O

I'd love to test or help with anything u need (except terrain :C)

Good Luck :D

=) You are very modest UU. I would be glad to have you testing with myself and other volunteers. Your map has definitely given me a fair share of "inspiration" as you said.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 5:20 am FlashBeer Post #38

It would be nice if there was a way to revive, or have it so dead players could still do something (so dead players wouldn't be as bored).
When you lose all 3 lives, ideas may include:
your hp lvl, mana lvl, and/or spell lvls may be reset as if you restarted the game
(possibly getting 3 more lives before it resets you again, or resetting stats each additional time you die),
anything gained during your game is lost,
You respawn as a 'phantom/spirit' life with limited capabilities such all the inability to use any spells, or inability to gain any more exp/minerals
(if you are a phantom you can still be considered dead, so that if all teammates are dead, the game could end that way.),
mana regen rate is lowered,
You wait a long time before getting another life (2-3 days)
Before you die, you buy something that revives you once (expensive)
Your teammates have to kill enemy hero of all their lives (this could create a tug-o-war style)
When a teammate is eliminated, a powerful building/unit is created, with a powerful attack, and must be destroyed to revive a teammate.
You could donate a life of yours to a teammate (how generous!)
You could control some computer spawns direction with an obs,
You are given a weak unit and must gain a certain amount of exp, or kill a hero once, to come back.
Or any combo.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 5:26 am Norm Post #39

Quote from FlashBeer
It would be nice if there was a way to revive, or have it so dead players could still do something (so dead players wouldn't be as bored).
When you lose all 3 lives, ideas may include:

Before you die, you buy something that revives you once (expensive)

You could donate a life of yours to a teammate (how generous!)

I like these.... I will consider how I would include them. Thank you for that advice.

None.

Sep 29 2009, 5:42 am Neki Post #40

Need more backstory really, the Serpent thing really isn't cutting it for me. Who is fighting, why are they fighting, where are they fighting, what are they fighting for? Why is so imperative that these "heroes" do something about it?

I'd do a better job, but I would like more direction and more information to facilitate the writing. :P
Collapsable Box

Post has been edited 18 time(s), last time on Oct 1 2009, 1:20 am by Ultimo.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 444 >
  Back to forum