Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: Open RPG Ideas and Opinions
Open RPG Ideas and Opinions
Jul 22 2009, 11:24 pm
By: Jesusfreak
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Jul 25 2009, 9:20 pm Jesusfreak Post #41

Er, what's a Dryad? o_O

Maybe I could go with an elf twisted by some demonic talisman that transformed it into a humanoid beast (monkey XD). Sound close enough to your dark/fire magic idea?

None.

Jul 25 2009, 11:03 pm CecilSunkure Post #42

There would be a dryad.

And lmao, morphed into a beast.. Well I liked your idea until you said "transformed" ^.^

None.

Jul 25 2009, 11:37 pm darksnow Post #43

oh and for the vampire, during the day, its supposed to burn in the sun, so shouldn't you be losing hp instead of mana? :P

None.

Jul 25 2009, 11:43 pm CecilSunkure Post #44

Quote from darksnow
oh and for the vampire, during the day, its supposed to burn in the sun, so shouldn't you be losing hp instead of mana? :P

It would be easier to drain mana if the mana is represented in something you can subtract certain amounts from. Unlike variable hp.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 12:00 am Jesusfreak Post #45

Eek, that dryad thing is kinda hostile lookin'. Does it seduce men with it's... er... natural beauty and then suck their souls out as they have intercourse with them? If so, then maybe that IS something I can use in my map :bleh: .

And yeh, can't really subtract hp with triggers. You can set it at amounts, but that really wouldn't do, you might end up increasing hp XD.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 12:03 am Norm Post #46

Quote from CecilSunkure

There would be a dryad.

And lmao, morphed into a beast.. Well I liked your idea until you said "transformed" ^.^

Dude, yeah Dryads are hot. Put them in this map for sure.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 12:40 am Jesusfreak Post #47

It doesn't matter how much heat dryads give off, you won't be able to feel them in the map XD. :bleh: .
Oh, you meant hot as in "sexy." You can't really see what they're supposed to look like in SC either :bleh: .

But I think I can put something in... yes, yes, I can make them... oh what unit would be good... kerris? Yes, kerris would work fine... muwhahaha....

None.

Jul 26 2009, 1:16 am CecilSunkure Post #48

Quote from Jesusfreak
It doesn't matter how much heat dryads give off, you won't be able to feel them in the map XD. :bleh: .
Oh, you meant hot as in "sexy." You can't really see what they're supposed to look like in SC either :bleh: .

But I think I can put something in... yes, yes, I can make them... oh what unit would be good... kerris? Yes, kerris would work fine... muwhahaha....
Hmm.. Only if you replace the monkey king with this!

None.

Jul 26 2009, 1:18 am Jesusfreak Post #49

Depends on how you define "replace." It won't use the same unit, but I'll get rid of the monkey king to implement the Dryad Succubi :D . I can easily find another role for ghost...

Are you wanting this Dryad to be a hero, or a creep? Or a boss? Personally I think it makes a better creep or boss...

None.

Jul 26 2009, 2:56 am rockz Post #50

ᴄʜᴇᴇsᴇ ɪᴛ!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fey_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29
read up.
and *cough*
Nymph: The nymph is a creature of unearthly beauty, with the form of a female humanoid. Her form is so beautiful that any creature looking at her can become permanently blind.
Dryads aren't hot. Nymphs are hot.

"Parliamentary inquiry, Mr. Chairman - do we have to call the Gentleman a gentleman if he's not one?"

Jul 26 2009, 3:27 am Sorrow_Faith Post #51

To me, says a nymph is a dryad and a dryad is a nymph. O.o (according to the definition i looked up) :wtfage: Damn dictionaries and their multi-definitions of falseness, IDK whats true or not now. Well it doesnt really matter does it :O? We're not talking about the dryad's feminine charms. Are we?

None.

Jul 26 2009, 3:34 am CecilSunkure Post #52

Quote from Jesusfreak
Depends on how you define "replace." It won't use the same unit, but I'll get rid of the monkey king to implement the Dryad Succubi :D . I can easily find another role for ghost...

Are you wanting this Dryad to be a hero, or a creep? Or a boss? Personally I think it makes a better creep or boss...
Yes! And the monkey falls!

Hmm.. How about someone that appears and helps you out throughout specific quests, such as saving the woods from corrupted dwarves?

Also, you have to fight her whenever you are doing a quest against nature.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 3:37 am Sorrow_Faith Post #53

Whats wrong with monkeys! >:(
Quote from CecilSunkure
That's logical.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 3:43 am CecilSunkure Post #54

Quote from Sorrow_Faith
Whats wrong with monkeys! >:(
Quote from CecilSunkure
That's logical.
I alluded to this in an earlier post; I hate the movie Planet of the Apes. So now, I hate all monkey themed things.

But to keep things on topic.. What does the Egg Layer do specifically? Because that looks to be like another unit to rid of, maybe.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 1:30 pm Jesusfreak Post #55

Couldn't possibly get rid of the egg layer. Her efforts spearhead the Pantokrator invasion of the New World. She's the one that builds the first towns and lays the first eggs on the new world, creating an alien foothold in the world =). As the pantokrator egg layer, you can expect your quests to revolve around delivering eggs to certain positions, breaking into buildings, and assassination of key figures in the world.
We're not talking about the dryad's feminine charms. Are we?
Um, we are, actually :bleh: . The Dryad shall slay it's prey (you) by seducing it and sucking it's soul out through acts of sexual intercourse :D .
Dryads aren't hot. Nymphs are hot.
Er...
Dryads (Δρυάδες, sing.: Δρυάς) are tree nymphs in Greek mythology.
The first sentence on the first link :bleh: .

None.

Jul 26 2009, 2:31 pm Sorrow_Faith Post #56

Quote from Jesusfreak
Um, we are, actually :bleh: . The Dryad shall slay it's prey (you) by seducing it and sucking it's soul out through acts of sexual intercourse :D .
In that case, what do you expect the name of the spells to be :ermm:
1) Sexual Seduction - By showing off its enticing body, males and females alike will be drawn towards the great beauty (A Pull in!?)
2) Sexual Charm - With it's sexy body, it will stun many people (Neutralized enemies?!)
3) [Insert something related to nature here] - [Insert an attack related to nature here]
4) Rape - *Censored. . . . . . . . etc etc* (Kills enemies and replenishes mana??)

None.

Jul 26 2009, 3:36 pm darksnow Post #57

Quote from Sorrow_Faith
Quote from Jesusfreak
In that case, what do you expect the name of the spells to be :ermm:
1) Sexual Seduction - By showing off its enticing body, males and females alike will be drawn towards the great beauty (A Pull in!?)
2) Sexual Charm - With it's sexy body, it will stun many people (Neutralized enemies?!)
3) [Insert something related to nature here] - [Insert an attack related to nature here]
4) Rape - *Censored. . . . . . . . etc etc* (Kills enemies and replenishes mana??)
im laughing really really hard at this....

None.

Jul 26 2009, 4:42 pm Jesusfreak Post #58

Not bad, but it's probably not going to be a playable hero. Might end up being a boss though, I'll keep some of those ideas in mind.

None.

Jul 26 2009, 6:45 pm lil-Inferno Post #59

Just here for the pie

1.) How many hero choices should a good open rpg have? I always have trouble deciding when I have enough heroes (I have craploads of ideas for them) so I can start using units for creeps and other stuff.
If you want replayability then have at least three to four more than the amount of players to give more of a variety, and make sure each character is unique so that people will actually feel compelled to play the map again as a different unit. If not, have at least one for each player and then one that's left out.

2.) Should the players be able to choose their heroes by pressing a button, or should there be some sort of challenge involved, ie, you run a bound and you get a hero depending on how far you get, or you go to a certain place, or beat a certain enemy, etc?
I think that if people want to play an RPG then they want to have an easy selection rather than play a bound. You'd be surprised how many remakes of the game people would play through until every single person got the unit they wanted.

3.) Should the heroes be godlike (like in many noob rpgs), or should I go with a more realistic approach of making the heroes just slightly more powerful than any other unit?
Have them be slightly better than any other units, but able to earn certain upgrades throughout the storyline and make them rely on tactics and spells/abilities/skills.

4.) Should the bosses be unique, or should I recycle units by making them the same unit but with ups and spells and whatever?
It depends on the amount of enemies you want. I know I wouldn't be happy to face the same guy again, just with an upgrade.

5.) Do most b.net noobs actually pay attention to the storyline of a game?
Not really. They really just care about killing enough guys until they can upgrade everything to the highest possible amount of upgrades. If it's a map like Quests Open RPG, then they'll just buy all of the towns and try to conquer the world, then leave.

6.) Should the story revolve around one key item (ie, The Ring, a particular person, a particular place, a special tree, etc), or should the issues a player is concerned with change with each passing quest?
I like to have a main story with some parts branching off and later intertwining with the main plot. For instance, have one of the characters introduce the players to another character who will give them quests/missions. Perhaps an item can be introduced in this side-plot, like a ring. Perhaps after all of the main story missions are done, and you haven't done the side-plot yet, you'll have to do them, and "the ring" can take effect in the plot and the main story continues.

7.) Should the map be composed of water with a lot of relatively small islands, or should it be a large landmass with lakes, rivers and oceans? (In other words, do I start my slate with water and then paint land, or do I start with land and then paint water on it?)
Start off with a canvas of water and plot some patches of land.

8.) How clear should the line between good and evil be, if there is one at all?
I think in a StarCraft RPG, good and evil are just people/monsters that are hostile to each other. Yeah... in other things, good and evil have a much more clear of a line.

9.) Should each faction's towns be of a different race, or is it better to save units and make each town use the same buildings for the same purposes? (ie, should I use an evolution chamber for the "evil" town and a forge for the "good" town, or should I just use a forge for them both?)
Use different units so the player can easily depict good or evil.

Jul 26 2009, 7:40 pm Jesusfreak Post #60

If you want replayability then have at least three to four more than the amount of players to give more of a variety
Does this number include secret heroes and heroes you can't select at the start, like the vampire?
I think that if people want to play an RPG then they want to have an easy selection rather than play a bound. You'd be surprised how many remakes of the game people would play through until every single person got the unit they wanted.
What if The Gauntlet (the bound) was only implemented as an option at the start and after players died, and the players were able to select their first heroes normally? The Gauntlet is just a random benefit you can get from dying (random things will happen when you die, depending on how and where you die. You can immediately become a vampire, immediately become a carrion worm, be forced to run the gauntlet, become a spirit doomed to wander the world, or go straight to Hades.).
Not really. They really just care about killing enough guys until they can upgrade everything to the highest possible amount of upgrades. If it's a map like Quests Open RPG, then they'll just buy all of the towns and try to conquer the world, then leave.
You mean most people actually enjoy that crap? Dang, my marketing tactic was that I was going to be DIFFERENT from crappy open rpgs like Quests. Guess I'll have to make sure b.net noobs don't play my map.

EDIT: Uh, hey Unholyurine, I tried to PM you, but it said you were out of space XD. Delete some of your old PMs or something :bleh: .

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 26 2009, 9:46 pm by Jesusfreak.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum