Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Map Showcase > Topic: Warriors Vengeance
Warriors Vengeance
Jul 5 2009, 8:29 pm
By: m.0.n.3.y  

Jul 8 2009, 1:09 am r00k Post #21

First i was confused, than i was bored, one second angry, bored, after 50 minutes completely senseless random placed units fighting, searching for a crystal in a completly open fucking huge areas with ridiculous spawns in it i left.
I opened the Map in the Editor, and really. You made 50% of a 192*192 Map to a search Area for 1 stupid Crystal. Other People Make 20 Quests on this size. I dunno who, but i am sure they do. Spellsword 128*128.
If you at least wanna save anything in this map, i would go down this list.
  • start with the terrain
  • improve the terrain
  • make better terrain
  • make the city in the beginning look like a city
  • why is it so open, you feel lost when you play it. Some Rivers, Mountains, Anything.
  • 25% size would be enough for that first area.
  • Remove the ridiculous green points around the commander.
  • Make the Monster Shrine way different, it feels like a bad copy of diablo act 4 with no sense.
  • Give People Gold back when they get their body back
  • Do some kind of income system, you get money when you level, thats stupid. It comes from out of nowhere ?
  • kills for cash.
  • Players donīt wanna run 100 times a game back to the city to heal. ( place more heal points or make it cheap to go home fast.
  • Do something about the Enemy.
  • They just sit there.
  • Thats boring.
  • They must move.
  • Make Spawns or something.
  • At least let them patrol from A-->B
  • Make the whole map maximum 2 hours.
  • Good Maps can be longer, this not.
  • If you can fill this much time with something happening.
  • Walking home to heal is not what i meant.
  • Balance the Hereos at least a little bit better, HT is stronger than Ultra.
  • And the Spells could be better too, but they can always be better, so thatīs ok.

Another thing i locked through your Triggers, and you made a Mistake, i made in my first Rpg too.
The Treasures. You donīt have to make a Location on every Treasue, you have a Location on your Hero.
So you donīt check if the Player brings his Hero to the treasure Location, you check if the Treasure is coming to the Hero Location.

This is not really Code, i didnīt test it, its just for you to understand.

Oh i see you can do the same for the Wells of course. Healing everywhere :-)... This will give your Map a boost man. Just turn on Junkyard Dog and make wells everywhere so you can finish this thing in 30 Minutes, only have to walk back when you found that goddamn crystal. Oh... stop... donīt let them walk back give them much money so they can buy a Portal and go home.

I am pretty sure there is much more you can say about this map, but as i said i stopped playing it. To be fair, i have to add that one of the Players liked it. He was on crack i think.
Overall: 7.2/10 HUH ???

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 8 2009, 1:17 am by r00k.

None.

Jul 8 2009, 1:15 am Neki Post #22

lol I'm glad I'm not crazy and that some people actually do agree that the area is completely huge and there is no sense of direction of where you're supposed to go at the beginning. I also agree with the running around, especially with the HT. The only thing I'm not sure I agree with is the HT/Ultra, I found the HT highly underpowered, maybe I was just playing him wrong.

Edit: If you do what Mp)r00k says about the treasure chest, you could also place much more, same with the healing wells.

Overall: 7.2/10 HUH ???
[/quote]
Edit 2: See, everyone thinks I rated it too high, haha. Comon guys, I would only use fives or sixs if it was terrible like those massing maps. actually those are more like 2s.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 8 2009, 9:33 am by Ultimo.

None.

Jul 8 2009, 2:42 pm m.0.n.3.y Post #23

Well...Uhh...That makes me sad, angrey and offended all at the same time. Like I said, didn'tn work on it for that long. If you didn't like it, that's understandable. Also, I dont think I said this before but this was my first RPG :ermm:
Anyways, I see your point with the wells and chests code. I'll use those systems next time I make an rpg (but I doubt I will cause i sux so bad at them). Anyways, thanks for the input and advice.
And I do agree with the walking part and that there was too much, but what are ya guna do?

None.

Jul 8 2009, 5:57 pm r00k Post #24

I read your other post, the one with the question thing. I did that too, when i started mapping. It took a lot of time, although i only had like 100 questions. I made a world map and asked for the capitals of each country. Guess what, people joined, where impressed about the map ("nice world picture" :-)), answered 3 of 5 questions wrong, remembered, they wanna kill something and not answer stupid questions and left the game. I usually ended up in a one on one, and there was a time when i knew like 80% of all capitols of the world except afrika, cause i didnīt implemented that, as i thought no one wants to know the capitol of Swasiland anyway.

The point is i spend a lot of time on a map no one played, cause when you wanna quiz you play a quiz, when you wanna play Starcraft, you play Starcraft. When i was ready, i learned nothing knew about Mapmaking, but a lot of useless Capitols. Cause the systems in there are retardly easy, the work is to type all the text. It was fun to make it, i will not say that, and it was fun to play it although only 1 of 10 Games someone showed up knew at least a few Capitols, and made it a Challenge.

So why did i post this here and not in the other post. Because i think if you wanna get better in Mapmaking, you should work on an Rpg. You learn most things when you do that.
And now you have this Rpg, which at least you put some effort in, and you said you learned a lot of things, now go ahead, learn a little more and just tune it, learn what it takes to make a map better, you did the basics, now finetune it.
Ask what you can do better...

Wait for answers in this Post...
Look what other maps have what yours has not...
Open the Map once a day, take a small Part of Terrain and improve it...
Open the Map once a day, do some triggering...
(of course you can open it more often, its just sounded nice...)
Play with People ask what they like, what they donīt like...
Play with People you donīt know, which donīt know that you made the map, listen to their comments...

I mean its endless, you have all time of the world, no one says this map is finished, you decide.
If you wanna make it Version 1.5.4.3.7.5.3.1 you do that, no matter if it sux that there are 110 Versions of your Map out there.
Its your first Rpg.

And I do agree with the walking part and that there was too much, but what are ya guna do?
Well make 3(4,5,6,7,8,9,10) Quests out of the 1, can be Side Quests, and give the Player an Idea where he has to go.
If you donīt wanna actually make cliffs or water, to guid him to the right direction, make a road. Can be Stones, which will be the easiest, Grass, or whatever you like, but guide him into the direction.
You already have the Temple Road in it, but its just randomly placed leading from nowhere to nowhere...
Make things like wells and stuff at this path, so the Player knows he is on the right way. You can have mass space at top left right bottom, and you can make little things happen there, but the main Road should be clear somehow... Its a 2 hour work, max.
Anyway i think biggest Problem is not moving Enemies, to fix that, you can do the same as you do with Treasures. Use burrowed Units from P9 this time.
Player 9 brings, to Hero, center location small spawn on burrowed unit P9, create 5 Lings or whatever.. Can use buildings too of course, if you want it to be like the shrines.
Make bigger and smaller Spawns and so on.

You said its your first Rpg. Its really not bad for a first Rpg. Although most of the things are just copy pasted from other maps, but sure, thats how it is.
Maybe you wanna give my first Rpg a try one day, i made a lot of mistakes in there too, but i was for a long time willing to do it better, and i stopped working on it for a while, but really liked it, so i took it back out again and fixed here and there and a little there, and a little here, added a new idea that came to me in the meantime and so on...
Its called Hotland you can download it here: Hotland
And i met a lot of people while i did this, which showed me their maps, and i was like angry and sad and offended nearly every day when i hosted it and all that people said was "sux" or something like that and left. But then after a while people stopped saying that, i mean some still say that, you always have people that donīt like your map, maybe sometimes they just have a bad day or something.
And than some People said something like:"Wow!" and "awesome Map". I remember one guy he said:"...best Rpg ever." I mean sure it is not he just did not knew better Rpgīs, but it was nice to hear, that for this guy, my map, which i worked so long on, was the best of its kind he ever played, isnt that cool ? Ok thats more than i wanted to say, i am sure "you do what you must."
Oh the Capitol of Swasiland is Mbabane by the way.

None.

Options
  Back to forum