The Future of SEN
Oct 10 2007, 7:58 pm
By: Money
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Oct 11 2007, 10:30 pm Money Post #41

More details please :D

None.

Oct 11 2007, 10:47 pm Kenoli Post #42

It's the former for those particularly people that you're talking about. SEN has been around much longer and will be a much more likely place for lots of new ones to come to before maplantis. The help section in UMS here far exceeds Maplantis in activity due to it. As for what I actually find worthwhile here, the "Politics, Science, and Religion" (which comes with the larger amount of subforums) has a lot more serious discussions than any at Maplantis. Some of the other off-topic subforums also get some interesting topics in them. But, even that has it's problems, when several pages of a topic end up being incredibly off-topic discussions about whether peoples posts are spam or not, and other ridiculously shit just like it.
I can't say I'm really impressed by the activity in the UMS help forum. It seems as if a lot of topics might never get resolved without my direct input. I was actually asked to join Staredit, specifically to help in the help forum. It's the reason I'm here at all.

As for all non-mapmaking related forums, I couldn't care less. I do not even approve of their existence and activity in them means nothing to me. In some ways I consider it counterproductive.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 10:59 pm Dapperdan Post #43

I can't say I'm really impressed by the activity in the UMS help forum. It seems as if a lot of topics might never get resolved without my direct input. I was actually asked to join Staredit, specifically to help in the help forum. It's the reason I'm here at all.

Well, maplantis' is bordering on completely inactive, so my point still holds.

As for all non-mapmaking related forums, I couldn't care less. I do not even approve of their existence and activity in them means nothing to me. In some ways I consider it counterproductive.

I can understand that opinion, but I personally enjoy the off-topic forums. We can't really know if it's more productive because it is one of the things that keeps people coming back, or more counterproductive (to mapping) simply because people spend time on it instead of in the mapmaking forums and mapmaking. Nonetheless, the off-topic sections certainly have things in them that can be enjoyed which is why they stay I suppose.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 1:24 am Jello-Jigglers Post #44

Quote from Yoshi da Sniper
Hi, thanks for bashing the site I worked thousands of hours on and disregarding the advanced features and accomplishments I gave it. I'll be sure to view your maps in the same manner (if you even make any).

The more I read here the more I realize how right devilesk is.

You should have stayed to sen exclusively... :-_-: like I want your opinion anyways ;)

As for sen, things will most likely get out of control without enough powers to stop the general public and I know there are some double accounts out there like "Test" and what not...

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:24 am Dapperdan Post #45

You should have stayed to sen exclusively... like I want your opinion anyways

And I think you shouldn't tell people what to do, especially when you don't even understand the situation. And I also think that if you bash his site for no reason, you warrant hearing his opinion on how stupid of a comment it was.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:46 am DT_Battlekruser Post #46

The community of Staredit and Maplantis are comprised of the same people. (I might have made that up. I just can't think of any members in particular that are unique to either site.)
Spreading our efforts across two sites seems pretty silly to me. I'm not sure why this site even exists.
It looks to me like Maplantis has some superiority over Staredit (the maps section and wiki content at least). Does Staredit have an advantage other than that it used to be a good site?
Maybe we could create a green colored skin for Maplantis and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

Indeed. SEN is rapidly losing its name-and-history appeal that held it up before its failure. v5 still feels like a bootstrap, devoid of active and competent management, a DLDB, tutorials, and countless other things. Much as I have always been a supporter of SEN, it is in this space that it is dying in my mind. If I still actively mapped Starcraft I, I would definitely feel better asking for help at Maplantis than SEN.

Not trying to offend any concerned Staff, but SEN lost its image and its purpose when the ranking administrators decided to try a "let's delete everything and try some random figment of my imagination" attempt. It killed the established feel and tradition of SEN, something I think is still gone.

I still try to lock myself into a mindset that this is essentially a beta of v5, pending completion, but, if anything, I fear that it will never regain active, competent, and properly visioned management. Too many randomly radical changes are trying to be implemented to a site and community that have recently suffered shock.

The most supreme irony of all is that the people cheering me in probably wouldn't be around if I had my way.

Indeed.

Indeed..

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:49 am The Starport Post #47

I don't think keeping these sites singularly owned is working. IP has SEN to himself, but decides to go on long afk trips every now and then. Yoshi had maplantis (and SEN before it) to himself, and obviously neither of those worked out as well. It's just too much to ask of one person for these sites perhaps.

We really ought to make site management a shared venture methinks.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:53 am DT_Battlekruser Post #48

I strongly disagree. Communal ventures only lead to more squabbling, etc.

Perhaps if we ran this like a business with a Board that split the hosting bill/ultimately owned the server and hired the executive admin..

The active leadership (i.e. the CEO) has to be a single, strong-willed individual who is capable of moving the site in the right direction.

Right now, nobody in power fits all three of those.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:58 am The Starport Post #49

Quote from DT_Battlekruser
I strongly disagree. Communal ventures only lead to more squabbling, etc.
Doesn't have to be communal. Just has to have more than one person (or at least someone as backup). Clearly it's too much to ask of any one person to hold up the site indefinitely themselves it appears.

Look I don't really give a crap about fancy features. I just want a working board that won't fall out from under me again.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 3:01 am DT_Battlekruser Post #50

Well, sure, if all you want is a domain with a working forum system.

You could also just make an invisionfree :P

None.

Oct 12 2007, 4:24 am Jello-Jigglers Post #51

Quote from Tuxedo-Templar
I don't think keeping these sites singularly owned is working. IP has SEN to himself, but decides to go on long afk trips every now and then. Yoshi had maplantis (and SEN before it) to himself, and obviously neither of those worked out as well. It's just too much to ask of one person for these sites perhaps.

Agreed. At least 3 people with full mod powers.

And I think you shouldn't tell people what to do, especially when you don't even understand the situation. And I also think that if you bash his site for no reason, you warrant hearing his opinion on how stupid of a comment it was.
Fair enough. :)

None.

Oct 12 2007, 5:28 am The Starport Post #52

Well, sure, if all you want is a domain with a working forum system.

You could also just make an invisionfree :P
If that's what it takes to keep it alive...

All the features in the world don't matter if it isn't there or doesn't work.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 5:49 am Demented Shaman Post #53

Quote from Dapperdan
Burn! :omfg: Devilesk is about 50% right on this one, probably a little more, imo. The community has lots of members which are exactly as he described, less weeded out than Maplantis, but as always, he's being overly blunt and harsh with his words, not that bad of a thing though.
There's no point in elaborating, because my posts would become long, boring, and ultimately pointless in the end like all of the other posts here.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 5:55 am mikelat Post #54

Well, now that LW and MA are actually doing stuff I can maybe play a minor role there if I don't have the power to change anything at SEN.

If some people don't want to join in the action and see what its all about, then I don't consider them mappers.

SEN used to be great. I still believe it can be great again but major changes would have to be made. Changes I can no longer forfill due to my new obligations to latova, changes IP seems to not have the time to provide, changes moose doesn't have the ability to provide.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 6:09 am DT_Battlekruser Post #55

I am so tired of "major changes" and "SEN" in the same sentence.. I would settle for good old v4.1 anyday..

None.

Oct 12 2007, 9:01 am JaFF Post #56

Quote from Yoshi da Sniper
Hi, thanks for bashing the site I worked thousands of hours on and disregarding the advanced features and accomplishments I gave it.
And hello to you. I never said SEN was a bad place when it was in v4.1 (we had both mapping and chatting aspects at a good level). I said that it will become a bad place (v5) without someone in charge, and if this site doesen't get normal mapper-supporting features. By bad place I mean a site only for chatting without any features in support of mappers, because that would go against its purpose. You had nothing to do with the current situation. If you are to say I offended someone, it's IP, not you.

Also, I do make maps. :) This is one of the reasons I prefer Maplantis - it's much more useful to the map-maker.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 9:07 am The Starport Post #57

I am so tired of "major changes" and "SEN" in the same sentence.. I would settle for good old v4.1 anyday..
Me too, sans the board crashes, upper-level management drama, hacking attempts, and unprotection nonsense, of course.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 11:28 am Dapperdan Post #58

And hello to you. I never said SEN was a bad place when it was in v4.1 (we had both mapping and chatting aspects at a good level). I said that it will become a bad place (v5) without someone in charge, and if this site doesen't get normal mapper-supporting features. By bad place I mean a site only for chatting without any features in support of mappers, because that would go against its purpose. You had nothing to do with the current situation. If you are to say I offended someone, it's IP, not you.

Also, I do make maps. This is one of the reasons I prefer Maplantis - it's much more useful to the map-maker.

He was talking to Jello Jigglers. Read who he quoted. He would have no reason to say that to you, JaFF.

Well, now that LW and MA are actually doing stuff I can maybe play a minor role there if I don't have the power to change anything at SEN.

If some people don't want to join in the action and see what its all about, then I don't consider them mappers.

SEN used to be great. I still believe it can be great again but major changes would have to be made. Changes I can no longer forfill due to my new obligations to latova, changes IP seems to not have the time to provide, changes moose doesn't have the ability to provide.

Indeed.

Agreed. At least 3 people with full mod powers.

There should be at least one with a max of 2 people who moderate each individual subforum, and 3-5 globals. (imo)

None.

Oct 12 2007, 2:27 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #59

Me too, sans the board crashes, upper-level management drama, hacking attempts, and unprotection nonsense, of course.

Well.. v4.1 prior to Moose deciding to randomly fire everyone. Even with the unprotecton drama and the sporadic hacks, I would much prefer it to this.

None.

Oct 12 2007, 3:43 pm mikelat Post #60

v5 was a great idea. But IP doesn't have the time to polish it. Right now theres a bit too much trolling going on in the SEN "community" and the features are starting to be more focused upon the community rather than mapping. For the people who come here to do mapping they deserve to have a place to put their maps and whatever.

Quote from JaFF

Also, I do make maps. :) This is one of the reasons I prefer Maplantis - it's much more useful to the map-maker.
The post was not directed to you. I don't even know why you think it would of been for you :P

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum