Staredit Network > Forums > Staredit Network > Topic: The Future of SEN
The Future of SEN
Oct 10 2007, 7:58 pm
By: Money
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >

Oct 11 2007, 2:19 am The Starport Post #21

Quote from Yoshi da Sniper
I've been told not to do anything until he finishes coding some stuff. So, I'm not.
OooOoOoOoh! Is it some super secret thing you're working on?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 2:30 am MrrLL Post #22

Probably some type of forum software... :omfg:

None.

Oct 11 2007, 2:35 am Moose Post #23

We live in a society.

You mean the one he released yesterday?

Oct 11 2007, 2:44 am Joshgt2 Post #24

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
(moose..... moose.... moose... moose.. moose. Moose. Moose! Moose!!! MOOSE!!! yay for stupid slogans :lol:
Good to see that someone is with me on this one, :D

Quote from devilesk[NUB
Who cares, the quality of the site is just reflecting the quality of the members right now anyway. In other word, you're all failures.
A lot of us care because this site was the main place to be for people of the StarCraft universe, and now you simply want to throw it all away?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 2:46 am The Starport Post #25

I think devilesk is wrong. It's just the stress of recent times taking its toll on the community. A combination of growing pains and reaching old age both at once (for an odd way of looking at it.. if that makes any sense).

But with SC2 on the horizon, of course, there's reason to be hopeful now for something new at least.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 2:52 am Demented Shaman Post #26

No, the community doesn't deserve the things IP and Yoshi code.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 6:58 am The Starport Post #27

I think they do. People still making maps here, aren't they?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 8:20 am MillenniumArmy Post #28

We need to get the mapping aspect of this site working, like the DLDB, tutorials, etc. SEN aint SEN without those

None.

Oct 11 2007, 11:16 am JaFF Post #29

No offense, but SEN is a shithole at the moment (IMO). This site needs a DB and tutorials, and someone in charge. Currently it has none of those.

The future of SEN? I'll be honest - my opinion is that it will be a place for newbs and noobs. It can't beat the mapping aspect of Maplantis. It's just for chatting here and there... and playing the Mafia games, that's it. All the mapping in this wold is done at Maplantis. So I see the future of SEN as a huge shotbox.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 11:39 am InsolubleFluff Post #30

The Future of SEN is whatever IP, Moose and Yoshi make it, they can decide to pull the plug whenever, they can decide to drop out of school, work and become hermits at their parents house and devote their whole life to coding SEN, no matter what happens, it will be what they choose, if they think it's swamped with annoying people, then they will ban them, if they think that there is too much flame, they will get more strict and appoint more moderators and such, despite what may be your arguement "needs a DB, Tutorials" etc... well to be honest, any game you can get on SEN, you should be able to get from the public or friends, and Tutorials? Hello? There is more then one way to learn to make maps.

SEN is great in my opinion, so is Maplantis, but yeah.... ;D!

None.

Oct 11 2007, 12:45 pm Kenoli Post #31

Quote from Shocko
The Future of SEN is whatever IP, Moose and Yoshi make it. They could decide to pull the plug whenever they want. Or, they could decide to drop out of school and work, becoming hermits at their parent's house, and devote their whole lives to coding SEN. No matter what happens, it will be what they choose.
That sounds somewhat accurate. What they choose will probably be to continue doing what they normally do, which is to slowly add new features to the site and have light interactions with the community.
Though, it might be more accurate to describe it as doing the bare minimum to keep the site up (usually), and letting people run amok and do whatever they want.

Quote from Shocko
If they think it's swamped with annoying people, then they'll ban them. If they think there's too much flame, they'll get more strict and appoint more moderators and such.
If only that were true.

Quote from Shocko
Despite your "needs a DB, Tutorials" argument, I think any game you could get from SEN, you should be able to get from the public or from friends. As for tutorials, there is more then one way to learn to make maps.
So, there doesn't need to be a maps section because someone, somewhere, might have a copy of the map you want, and you could potentially get it from them directly. The same goes for tutorials. You're a genius.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 1:20 pm The Starport Post #32

Maplantis for DB/wiki tutorials, SEN for community?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 4:39 pm Kenoli Post #33

Maplantis for DB/wiki tutorials, SEN for community?
The community of Staredit and Maplantis are comprised of the same people. (I might have made that up. I just can't think of any members in particular that are unique to either site.)
Spreading our efforts across two sites seems pretty silly to me. I'm not sure why this site even exists.
It looks to me like Maplantis has some superiority over Staredit (the maps section and wiki content at least). Does Staredit have an advantage other than that it used to be a good site?
Maybe we could create a green colored skin for Maplantis and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

PS.
I just saw the following in the shoutbox.
Oyen -- Wahoo! Glad to see SEN is back!
This is the exact sort of thing I don't understand.
Do people have some kind of emotional attachment to the name "Staredit" or is there actually something here worthwhile that I'm missing?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 7:14 pm Joshgt2 Post #34

Quote from MillenniumArmy
We need to get the mapping aspect of this site working, like the DLDB, tutorials, etc. SEN aint SEN without those
When the tutorials come around, I suggest making both new and old ones due to the patches that have been released so that everything is most accurate for others to view. Can't be showing off faulty information to people now can we?

None.

Oct 11 2007, 7:14 pm Money Post #35

Even if we all decided that moose should be in charge again how would we do that? IP is the only admin, and he is inactive.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 7:58 pm Jello-Jigglers Post #36

Quote from JaFF
No offense, but SEN is a shithole at the moment (IMO). This site needs a DB and tutorials, and someone in charge. Currently it has none of those.

The future of SEN? I'll be honest - my opinion is that it will be a place for newbs and noobs. It can't beat the mapping aspect of Maplantis. It's just for chatting here and there... and playing the Mafia games, that's it. All the mapping in this wold is done at Maplantis. So I see the future of SEN as a huge shotbox.
Screw maplantis. If Sen gets back to a stable state it will catch maplatis and far surpass it. Sen dominates mapping scene when people aren't hacking our systems and shutting us down. :) (ps that needs to be fixed too lols)

None.

Oct 11 2007, 8:05 pm Money Post #37

Or not paying the bills.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 9:19 pm mikelat Post #38

Quote from Jello-Jigglers
Quote from JaFF

Screw maplantis. If Sen gets back to a stable state it will catch maplatis and far surpass it. Sen dominates mapping scene when people aren't hacking our systems and shutting us down. :) (ps that needs to be fixed too lols)
Hi, thanks for bashing the site I worked thousands of hours on and disregarding the advanced features and accomplishments I gave it. I'll be sure to view your maps in the same manner (if you even make any).

The more I read here the more I realize how right devilesk is.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 9:46 pm Dapperdan Post #39

Screw maplantis. If Sen gets back to a stable state it will catch maplatis and far surpass it. Sen dominates mapping scene when people aren't hacking our systems and shutting us down. (ps that needs to be fixed too lols)

You never even gave maplantis a try, I'm sure of it. You need to stop making ridiculous posts like this.

Quote from Tau
The more I read here the more I realize how right devilesk is.

Burn! :omfg: Devilesk is about 50% right on this one, probably a little more, imo. The community has lots of members which are exactly as he described, less weeded out than Maplantis, but as always, he's being overly blunt and harsh with his words, not that bad of a thing though.

Quote from JaFF

No one in charge is the biggest problem at the moment. I agree with everything you said but to a lesser extent.

Quote from Kenoli
The community of Staredit and Maplantis are comprised of the same people. (I might have made that up. I just can't think of any members in particular that are unique to either site.)
Spreading our efforts across two sites seems pretty silly to me. I'm not sure why this site even exists.

Well, there are TONS of people exclusive to Staredit, as you know, but not just the noobs. Echo (if you don't consider him a noob) is just one of the people who have been around a while and only go to SEN due to not liking maplantis for reasons unknown to me. Also, there are plenty of members that you would know very well that go to both sites, but have a much (and I mean much) higher activity level at Maplantis. Laser Dude, Excalibur, and Farty, (from what I can see) are just a few.

Quote from Kenoli
This is the exact sort of thing I don't understand.
Do people have some kind of emotional attachment to the name "Staredit" or is there actually something here worthwhile that I'm missing?

It's the former for those particularly people that you're talking about. SEN has been around much longer and will be a much more likely place for lots of new ones to come to before maplantis. The help section in UMS here far exceeds Maplantis in activity due to it. As for what I actually find worthwhile here, the "Politics, Science, and Religion" (which comes with the larger amount of subforums) has a lot more serious discussions than any at Maplantis. Some of the other off-topic subforums also get some interesting topics in them. But, even that has it's problems, when several pages of a topic end up being incredibly off-topic discussions about whether peoples posts are spam or not, and other ridiculously shit just like it.

Quote from Kenoli
If only that were true.

Agreed.

Quote from Kenoli
So, there doesn't need to be a maps section because someone, somewhere, might have a copy of the map you want, and you could potentially get it from them directly. The same goes for tutorials. You're a genius.

Exactly on point.

None.

Oct 11 2007, 9:54 pm Moose Post #40

We live in a society.

The most supreme irony of all is that the people cheering me in probably wouldn't be around if I had my way. :)

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 4 >
  Back to forum