Staredit Network > Forums > Null > Topic: Stock Market and Money Game
Stock Market and Money Game
Jun 23 2009, 8:37 pm
By: DT_Battlekruser
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >

Jul 5 2009, 8:40 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #61

The Nasdaq is a composite index, not a company, so you can't actually buy stock in the Nasdaq. You need to choose a company listed on a stock exchange to buy stock.

None.

Jul 5 2009, 8:58 pm KrayZee Post #62

Google.

None.

Jul 7 2009, 4:56 am DT_Battlekruser Post #63

We have excitement!

Especially since CDs are coming due and now interest rates are falling through the floor.

None.

Jul 7 2009, 8:45 pm FlyingHat Post #64

I want to buy as many shares as I possibly can from Intel Corp. (INTC) with the remaining $1,000 that I didn't put into CD.

None.

Jul 7 2009, 10:15 pm Bar Refaeli Post #65

wooo im in dead last!

i would like to sell all my stock, and then make a day trade into Campbell Soup Co. (CPB), spending all my remaining money on this stock.

None.

Jul 7 2009, 10:50 pm Corbo Post #66

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

Okay, I want in now.

And I want to buy as many shares as I can from KB Home with 50k. Buying long.
Half of the rest goes to CD.

Yay for construction.

fuck you all

Jul 9 2009, 2:11 am DT_Battlekruser Post #67

Could Brontobyte catch Moose? We'll see!

I think I may have made an error of record in maturing some CD accounts one day too early; if you notice this about your account, please contact me if you wish a correction to be made (any error of interest is in the ballpark of $4). Otherwise don't worry and play based on your notices.

None.

Jul 9 2009, 2:49 am Vi3t-X Post #68

Assuming that I'm doing this correctly.

x500 CVX ($61.92) at approx 11:00-11:30 PM

I call for a mutual fund. :P

None.

Jul 9 2009, 3:48 am Moose Post #69

We live in a society.

I want all of my money in a NEW CD!

Jul 9 2009, 5:01 am Corbo Post #70

Now I want to buy as many shares as I can with 20k from Apple inc. Buying long.

fuck you all

Jul 9 2009, 6:13 am Syphon Post #71

Do you collect commission in both buying, and selling, or just one?

None.

Jul 9 2009, 7:25 am DT_Battlekruser Post #72

Quote from Syphon
Do you collect commission in both buying, and selling, or just one?

Both.

None.

Jul 9 2009, 11:31 am Vi3t-X Post #73

Wait. So DTBK. Could you show me an example of how I request a transaction?
And how that transaction would occur (I suppose your description in the OP are a bit... hazy...)

None.

Jul 9 2009, 6:28 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #74

Quote from Vi3t-X
Wait. So DTBK. Could you show me an example of how I request a transaction?
And how that transaction would occur (I suppose your description in the OP are a bit... hazy...)

Well, firstly you have to say "I'm in" or "I sign up" :P

If you want to place a day order, you say "I want a day order on x shares of y. Buying long." In general, everyone seems to be buying stocks long (the traditional way). The same procedure is also used to sell your stock and buy/sell them short (if you know what shorting is).

If you have a day order, I will give you the stock at the better 25th percentile* on the day's trading. That is, if you are buying the stock, you get to buy it at the 25th percentile of the price range for the day, and if you are selling, you sell it at the 75th percentile of the price range. That means, if the stock you are buying trades between $50 and $60 on the day you are buying it, you buy your shares at $52.50. You don't need to worry about the numbers though; all you do is say "day order" and you'll receive an invoice with the final trade. I've also been allowing people to be informal and instead of saying "x shares", say "as many shares as can be bought for x dollars".

The other option is a limit order. This allows you greater control over the price, but forces you to pay attention. To make a limit order, you say "I want to buy x shares of y, with a limit of z dollars." For a sale, the next time the stock trades at or above your limit, the trade will complete immediately. For a purchase, the next time the stock trades at or below your limit, the trade will complete immediately.

*For the mathematicians, because I'm lazy it's not actually the 25th percentile. Percentiles are median-median based, so finding it would require calculating the average value (integral) of the stock. I find my 25th "percentile" as a mean-mean, that is (low * 3 + high) / 4.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 2:40 am Vi3t-X Post #75

NVM.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jul 10 2009, 4:20 am by Vi3t-X.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 5:40 am DT_Battlekruser Post #76

So, you want in?

We have excitement! Winning doesn't look so easy now, does it? :P

A note: I'll be out late tomorrow night so the rank update for tomorrow probably won't come until sometime Saturday.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 1:39 pm Vi3t-X Post #77

$75,000 into CVX.
$24,000 into XOM.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 9:39 pm Corbo Post #78

If we were to short sell are we expected to say the date on when the rebuy will take and everything else?

fuck you all

Jul 10 2009, 9:50 pm DT_Battlekruser Post #79

I answered you in the shoutbox: no.

In the real world, you can buy back your short ahead of time if you wish, so I am going to pretend that the time limit on a short is beyond the end of the game, so you can sell and buy short as you would sell and buy long (day or limit order, etc.) 1.5% commission will be charged on the value of stock traded, and you will get liquid assets equal to the value of stock sold short while assuming debt equal to the value of the outstanding shares.

None.

Jul 10 2009, 9:55 pm Corbo Post #80

What's the difference (in the game) between going long or short then?

fuck you all

Options
Pages: < 1 « 2 3 4 5 68 >
  Back to forum