Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Mapmaking Assistance > Topic: Hello again: This time: Morale!
Hello again: This time: Morale!
Jun 8 2009, 10:00 pm
By: Xesh  

Jun 17 2009, 5:23 pm New-Guy Post #21

Quote from Pyro682
Quote from Fallen
Editing Hp really wouldn't be that difficult just elaborate.... lets say you focus on the spawned units/ And make each moral variable based off like a classroom grade (tets= 30%, HW + 15 % and ect.
So lets say that you have 3 variables. Hero Kills (40%), Unit kills(10%), Post Captured (50%) and moral at 50 is normal, meaning that every percentage starts at half its value.
Each percentage of each variable is a different unit. So Heroes can be Goli turret, and the other two will be different. Now make those into Death Counters. Then have triggers to convert each variable to Death values, then from there convert it into the Custom Leader board, which would be your moral
I think that would work, but not positive

Still... You're mixing Trigger HP with Real Damage HP.
These units are fighting eachother.
For Example, lets say you have a total of 6 units. (3 to a side). On the left, the unit HP amounts are 10%, 25%, and 50%. Let's not worry about the right ones.
Now, lets say that the left side suffers from a Morale Loss. Right now, the DC for morale is at 50%. They just happened to be at the 10%, 25%, and 50% marks because the two sides are fighting. Let's say that the morale effect cuts down their HPs by 10%. Now, The HP should be 40%. (For morale). However, when you set all the units there to 40% HP, you actually heal the 10% and the 25% units. This is an HP glitch.
In essence, it literally doesn't fit. You cannot mix these two ways of affecting HP. The units that are fighting will Edit the HP and then make the Morale/HP system glitch up like hell. It simply cannot and will not work. It may work for some units, but not even close to half of the units it affects.

Besides, it still doesn't make sense to lose HP due to a lack of Morale. In all my life, I've never suffered from spontaneous bruising or bleeding from being depressed.
Sure, "Emos" may cut themselves, but if you're about to suggest that an Entire Army is Emo, and they ALL cut themselves, then you are seriously mistaken. :hurr:

You're fitting the wrong jigsaw piece into the wrong spot.

You're talking about morale as if it will actually hurt somebody. This isn't true
But what will happen, is that if a 'hero' dies, then people will lose morale yes. And with lower morale, they will be less willing to take a hit, while others might be angry about their 'hero' dying, and go out for revenge.
So if you think about it, this system could work just fine.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 12:50 am Pyro682 Post #22

Quote from New-Guy
Quote from Pyro682
Quote from Fallen
Editing Hp really wouldn't be that difficult just elaborate.... lets say you focus on the spawned units/ And make each moral variable based off like a classroom grade (tets= 30%, HW + 15 % and ect.
So lets say that you have 3 variables. Hero Kills (40%), Unit kills(10%), Post Captured (50%) and moral at 50 is normal, meaning that every percentage starts at half its value.
Each percentage of each variable is a different unit. So Heroes can be Goli turret, and the other two will be different. Now make those into Death Counters. Then have triggers to convert each variable to Death values, then from there convert it into the Custom Leader board, which would be your moral
I think that would work, but not positive

Still... You're mixing Trigger HP with Real Damage HP.
These units are fighting eachother.
For Example, lets say you have a total of 6 units. (3 to a side). On the left, the unit HP amounts are 10%, 25%, and 50%. Let's not worry about the right ones.
Now, lets say that the left side suffers from a Morale Loss. Right now, the DC for morale is at 50%. They just happened to be at the 10%, 25%, and 50% marks because the two sides are fighting. Let's say that the morale effect cuts down their HPs by 10%. Now, The HP should be 40%. (For morale). However, when you set all the units there to 40% HP, you actually heal the 10% and the 25% units. This is an HP glitch.
In essence, it literally doesn't fit. You cannot mix these two ways of affecting HP. The units that are fighting will Edit the HP and then make the Morale/HP system glitch up like hell. It simply cannot and will not work. It may work for some units, but not even close to half of the units it affects.

Besides, it still doesn't make sense to lose HP due to a lack of Morale. In all my life, I've never suffered from spontaneous bruising or bleeding from being depressed.
Sure, "Emos" may cut themselves, but if you're about to suggest that an Entire Army is Emo, and they ALL cut themselves, then you are seriously mistaken. :hurr:

You're fitting the wrong jigsaw piece into the wrong spot.

You're talking about morale as if it will actually hurt somebody. This isn't true
But what will happen, is that if a 'hero' dies, then people will lose morale yes. And with lower morale, they will be less willing to take a hit, while others might be angry about their 'hero' dying, and go out for revenge.
So if you think about it, this system could work just fine.

... Did you read my post? I'm saying changing HP through Morale doesn't make sense.
"You're talking about morale as if it will actually hurt somebody. This isn't true"
Right there. First of all, I'm saying Morale DOESN'T hurt someone. I'm also saying that we SHOULDN'T make it hurt someone in the map.

"And with lower morale, they will be less willing to take a hit, while others might be angry about their 'hero' dying, and go out for revenge.
So if you think about it, this system could work just fine."
That is a very very very weak excuse for a system glitch. Why not just cut it out, because it doesn't work?

None.

Jun 18 2009, 3:04 am Xesh Post #23

Ive already decided. get ova it peepz lol kthxbai

Seriously: 1-100%=HP%
That's all, its simple and makes the players aware of different aspects of the game. it would seem glitchy to do it your way Pyro- Im sorry..:(
i just want something that leaves a physical mark on the players. What about all those RPGs that use HP% for their Levels? im sure that doesnt make sense to you but they came out alright.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 3:13 am Pyro682 Post #24

That's because there's only 1 unit per player.
If you plan on having armies, you're gonna need more than 1 unit.
These units will get hurt, and when you plan on having them getting hurt from morale (which doesn't make sense anyways) it'll actually heal them.

I'm telling you right now, it won't work.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 3:24 am Xesh Post #25

No, they

jesus christ, when they spawn, they are moved out of a safe zone and given their HP there. THEN they run out to die.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 4:29 am EzDay281 Post #26

These units will get hurt, and when you plan on having them getting hurt from morale (which doesn't make sense anyways) it'll actually heal them.
From my first post:
"However, I think that this is one of the places where "realism" can take a hit for sake of gameplay and implementation.
And anyways, emotional state does have some affect on one's vitality. A person who is depressed and sees little in a war is less likely to stand to absolute physical exhaustion against bodily damage."

None.

Jun 18 2009, 7:58 am poison_us Post #27

Back* from the grave

...Pyro, Xesh is saying that his units are spawned with a set HP, then they run out to die, with the area of their spawn being the location used to modify HP. That way units already on the battlefield won't get healed from morale.

Options
  Back to forum