LAN - UDP (easiest LAN, uses TCP/IP) 14

19%
Modem (direct connection /w only 2 players) 6

8%
"Hot Seat" turn-based map (played in single player) 7

10%
LAN - IPX (Stupidly hard LAN to configure, the reason UDP was latter made) 5

7%
Direct Cable Connection (For the weirdo who had null-modem cable instead of ethernet lines plus a 'wtf' serial port to boot) 3

4%
Please login to vote.
Poll has 75 votes. You can vote for at most 8 option(s).

Jun 4 2009, 5:24 am ClansAreForGays Post #1

Here is a list of possible ways that StarCraft players have been able to play with each other over the years. Select all that you have SUCCESSFULLY done.

I've ordered them by rarity. I have 5 notches on my belt.

Jun 4 2009, 6:18 am payne Post #2

:payne:

Yes I suck...
B.net gateway and single player only :(

None.

Jun 4 2009, 7:24 am MrrLL Post #3

B.net gateway: Obviously

Unofficial gateways: When I used to participate at mod nights

Modem: I used to play with my brother back in 1999 via modem. He was at his friends house and we both had modem connections. It was funny, one of us had to make the call and the other had to make sure nobody picked up the phone at their house. It didn't seem very stable, one of us dropped out after playing for twenty to thirty minutes.

I voted hotseat too. We didn't play any maps specifically for hotseat play (do those even exist?), however, we used to take turns playing UMS.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 7:28 am A_of-s_t Post #4

aka idmontie

I may sound like a noob, but what are Pre-Gateways?

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 4 2009, 7:54 am Falkoner Post #5

Holy cow, I never thought about it, but I've actually played on all of these :P I play StarCraft like everywhere I go, so I've had to use a lot of connections, and I played it a bit when I was younger for the pre-battle.net gateways, but mostly my brother played on those.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 8:05 am MrrLL Post #6

Quote from A_of-s_t
I'm guessing it means Battle.net before it had gateways.

None.

Jun 4 2009, 3:35 pm ClansAreForGays Post #7

So none of you knew what I was talking about with the "Hot Seat" single player game, but you voted for it anyways? No it is not taking turns playing single player maps.

Jun 4 2009, 3:36 pm Excalibur Post #8

The sword and the faith

Quote from name:Merrell
Quote from A_of-s_t
I'm guessing it means Battle.net before it had gateways.
Anyone who's played pre-gates is hardcore man. :P

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jun 4 2009, 6:33 pm MrrLL Post #9

Quote from ClansAreForGays
So none of you knew what I was talking about with the "Hot Seat" single player game, but you voted for it anyways? No it is not taking turns playing single player maps.
I knew what you meant, but I don't think there are any hotseat maps out there.

None.

Jun 5 2009, 1:19 am MillenniumArmy Post #10

Quote from name:merrell
Quote from A_of-s_t
I'm guessing it means Battle.net before noobs started popping out everywhere like popcorn.

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Jun 8 2009, 5:26 am by MillenniumArmy.

None.

Jun 5 2009, 1:20 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #11

Just here for the activity... well not really

"LAN - UDP (easiest LAN, uses TCP/IP)"
Hamachi included, right?

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Jun 5 2009, 4:34 am ClansAreForGays Post #12

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
"LAN - UDP (easiest LAN, uses TCP/IP)"
Hamachi included, right?
yes. Although that should have had it's own vote spot. Probably inbetween Hot Seat & LAN - IPX

Jun 5 2009, 5:12 am -BW-Map_God Post #13

I've played all of those except hot seat...but seriously did anyone actually make a single player hot seat map? Because if they did I never saw it...and if I wanted to play hot-seat I'd play another game that was turn based. Pre-gateways battle.net was fun, nice mix and clash of cultures...

None.

Jun 5 2009, 7:27 am ShadowFlare Post #14

I've done all of those except the hot seat map thing. There's no reason to play a map that requires you to take turns on the same computer when you have 2 or more computers. :P

I still have the null-modem cable around here somewhere that I used to connect 2 computers for games years ago. :) It is a cable for connecting between 25-pin serial ports, which are even less common these days. Null-modem cables still get some uses these days for certain tasks. For example, last year I bought a null-modem cable that goes between 9-pin serial ports because the computer I use for my router has no keyboard or vga ports, but instead uses a serial port, which you connect from it to a terminal via a null-modem cable for viewing the output and sending input. For the terminal, I used one of my older computers with a terminal program that supports serial port communication. I no longer have that computer in the same room, however, so next time I upgrade my router I'll probably use an old terminal device I have (is intended primarily for Remote Desktop/Terminal Server) which supports serial communication for a text-based terminal.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 5 2009, 7:41 am by ShadowFlare.

None.

Jun 5 2009, 11:26 am Vi3t-X Post #15

Gateways.
Unofficial Gateways.
LAN - UDP.
Modem.
Hotseat.
Direct Cable.

None.

Options
  Back to forum