Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Discussion > Topic: New Mod Making clan!
New Mod Making clan!
May 27 2009, 10:18 pm
By: Slyence
Pages: < 1 2 3 >

May 31 2009, 5:08 am bajadulce Post #21

sounds good. Good luck w/ your new website. There can never be too many places for modders to go. I think you should just let the old Maplantis die and call it Modlantis FTW! :)

None.

May 31 2009, 5:10 am TriggR_HappE Post #22

Quote from bajadulce
I think you should just let the old Maplantis die and call it Modlantis FTW! :)

This.

None.

May 31 2009, 5:28 am Excalibur Post #23

The sword and the faith

Quote from bajadulce
sounds good. Good luck w/ your new website. There can never be too many places for modders to go. I think you should just let the old Maplantis die and call it Modlantis FTW! :)
Maplantis will remain Maplantis and will support both mods and maps equally as it did before.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

May 31 2009, 4:43 pm Syphon Post #24

Suggestion: Call the clan Mod Creators, have the tag be MC.

MC Slyence
MC Hammer
MC Escher

Awesome.

None.

May 31 2009, 4:49 pm Biophysicist Post #25

My suggestion: Make the clan not all one big mod team, like Herc said. I'd make it more like a place to find teammates. For example, if you need help with iscript (Excalibur could use this), you could look under the "Iscript" category and find people who are good iscripters.

I'd also suggest creating a "Members" page on your site for the clan, which would include all members, a list of things they've submitted, and a brief description (written by the member in question).

None.

May 31 2009, 5:27 pm RoryFenrir Post #26

i might be down for this, but i would have to see. If i was in i would do iscript or image and GRP making, either from scratch 3d models, or from piecing together sc units

None.

May 31 2009, 11:12 pm Sand Wraith Post #27

she/her

I would... iscript. And... do important things. Conceptcraft? Eh...

Come to think of it, I'm not very good at working in a group environment, haaaa...

Still, MY LIFE FOR M.C. ESCHER. Gogo Clan [MC]!

Jun 2 2009, 4:20 pm bajadulce Post #28

I was half kidding when I suggested you name your website Modlantis. But it wasn't all joking. This Maplantis revival spawned from the fact that clan[mm] has gone down the toilet and so has modding. My understanding was that this new ML2.0 was supposed to be a defibrillator and revive the pulse of modding. A new "mapping" site doesn't convey this commitment. It sounds as tho this new site is going to be almost identical to the old one. Mapping first modding second. If you recall, Yoshi even axed the modding section there in the beginning which actually seemed like a good idea. Maplantis was to be a 100% dedicated MAP site for the elite mappers to call home. Eventually the Elite modders ended up there tho and really were a big part of the site. I'm not saying the new "Modlantis" should not have mapping, but the site should be dedicated to MODDING. You created this thread here in modding not mapping for a reason. If mapping takes over Modlantis as modding took over Maplantis, then so be it. The site however remains dedicated to modding and a title with the word "MAP" doesn't do it.

It sounds weird at first, but it is a show of true commitment to modding. Calling it Maplantis is being a bit wishy-washy and hanging on the coat tails of some past glory. Maplantis died. It was a great success and it was built at a time when SEN went to crap and even disappeared. Raising another site that mimics SEN once again tho is gay.

Anywho, just me ranting about having another mapping site where modding is second. Gluck. I'll be there to support you and modding regardless. :)

None.

Jun 2 2009, 4:24 pm A_of-s_t Post #29

aka idmontie

Maybe we should spend more time modding instead of trying to revive a dead website and clan.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 3 2009, 12:40 am Hercanic Post #30

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

That's it. Now you've done it. I'm starting my own thing. I'll post more about it in a new thread.

Syphon, I give you partial credit for the name, as I liked MC as the initials. It'll be called Modcrafters.

Sylence, sorry for stealing your thunder, but it's been 5 days since you responded in your own thread and your idea seems like a modding team rather than a clan. Modcrafters will be different. I've talked with Voy and Lord Agamemnon, and they are liking my ideas. Modcrafters.com has been registered, and we have unlimited webspace and bandwidth for it. Stay tuned.

Jun 3 2009, 1:11 am TriggR_HappE Post #31

I think you guys are a little too concerned with labels. Why can't a clan work as a team or a mod team be a clan? I just think it's silly is all. Anyways, looking forward to both sites :)

None.

Jun 3 2009, 1:15 am WoAHorde Post #32

Quote from bajadulce
I was half kidding when I suggested you name your website Modlantis. But it wasn't all joking. This Maplantis revival spawned from the fact that clan[mm] has gone down the toilet and so has modding. My understanding was that this new ML2.0 was supposed to be a defibrillator and revive the pulse of modding. A new "mapping" site doesn't convey this commitment. It sounds as tho this new site is going to be almost identical to the old one. Mapping first modding second. If you recall, Yoshi even axed the modding section there in the beginning which actually seemed like a good idea. Maplantis was to be a 100% dedicated MAP site for the elite mappers to call home. Eventually the Elite modders ended up there tho and really were a big part of the site. I'm not saying the new "Modlantis" should not have mapping, but the site should be dedicated to MODDING. You created this thread here in modding not mapping for a reason. If mapping takes over Modlantis as modding took over Maplantis, then so be it. The site however remains dedicated to modding and a title with the word "MAP" doesn't do it.

It sounds weird at first, but it is a show of true commitment to modding. Calling it Maplantis is being a bit wishy-washy and hanging on the coat tails of some past glory. Maplantis died. It was a great success and it was built at a time when SEN went to crap and even disappeared. Raising another site that mimics SEN once again tho is gay.

Anywho, just me ranting about having another mapping site where modding is second. Gluck. I'll be there to support you and modding regardless. :)
In the end of its life, Maplantis was more Mod focused anyway.

None.

Jun 3 2009, 1:15 am Excalibur Post #33

The sword and the faith

Quote from bajadulce
If mapping takes over Modlantis as modding took over Maplantis, then so be it.
You see that is exactly the point. If the community is going to rally around modding and produce mods than I would do nothing to hinder this. The same can be said for mapping. I'm not going to say THIS SITE IS FOR MODDERS or THIS SITE IS FOR MAPPERS, it is for whatever the community needs it to be. Dedicating to one area robs us of half our userbase who won't feel properly supported, and makes it so that the less active area would probably grind to a halt just like SEN's melee section. I feel both modding and mapping did very well on Maplantis, and there's no reason it can't happen again.

Quote from Hercanic
That's it. Now you've done it. I'm starting my own thing. I'll post more about it in a new thread.

Syphon, I give you partial credit for the name, as I liked MC as the initials. It'll be called Modcrafters.

Sylence, sorry for stealing your thunder, but it's been 5 days since you responded in your own thread and your idea seems like a modding team rather than a clan. Modcrafters will be different. I've talked with Voy and Lord Agamemnon, and they are liking my ideas. Modcrafters.com has been registered, and we have unlimited webspace and bandwidth for it. Stay tuned.
Hercanic, I've had a lot of respect for you in your time here at SEN, and if Voy and LA are giving you their support I suppose you have nothing to worry about. But I would really appreciate it if you would focus your clan and energies on Maplantis. If you're going to be pulling the modders out from under it, there isn't much going for it right now.

Gentlemen I'd really rather we worked together instead of dividing ourselves over multiple projects. It is not a good idea to split up the few active modders we have left.

Post has been edited 1 time(s), last time on Jun 3 2009, 1:20 am by Excalibur.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jun 3 2009, 1:25 am Polaris Post #34

Quote from Hercanic

Agreeing with what Excalibur said, please Hercanic, don't start this right now. We don't need is two new Starcraft websites going up at the same time. Maplantis isn't intended just for maps, it's intended for both maps and mods, meaning there is no need to make another modding website, unless, as Bajadulce said, mapping takes over Maplantis, but that's not going to happen right away.

If anything cool is ever going on Skype me up under the name "blarghle"

Jun 3 2009, 2:34 am Hercanic Post #35

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

I understand where you're coming from, Excalibur. All things being equal, a one-stop-shop could be of great benefit to all. However, there are tons of mapping sites. SEN isn't the only one. The userbase, Starcraft fans, is already spread out.

You might argue that yes, we are spread thin as it is, so further spreading would be terrible. Of course, a website isn't like a country, where you can only live in one. People visit many sites, and they choose the ones that best meet their needs. All-in-one could be good, or it could just be cluttered. If you want a search engine, compare Yahoo's front page to Google's. Which is more focused on the task you're visiting the site for? I would argue that Yahoo simply has too much. My eyes get lost, I get dizzy, and I must excuse myself to the bathroom.

Modcrafters will meet the needs of the modder. Many sites offer a modding section on the side, but we have no place to truly call home. Not since Camelot Systems, or its attempted revival with Sovereign Modding Empire.

Small town, big city, some prefer one over the other. A dedicated site can appeal to that part of us that wants to feel unexposed, in a close-knit community where we can belong.

A name denotes purpose. What does a name like Maplantis suggest?

I am not opposed to collaboration. Far from it, I would welcome it. I plan to discuss many things with SEN, BWAI, CC, and any other major sites. We can talk more after I draft my introduction thread for the Modcrafter clan.

Gentlemen I'd really rather we worked together instead of dividing ourselves over multiple projects. It is not a good idea to split up the few active modders we have left.
Speaking of spreading things out, isn’t that what a new Maplantis would do to SEN?

Modding can include mapping, but mapping cannot include modding without becoming a mod. It is one-sided, so other than simply exposing mappers to modding or giving modders a Q&A with a mapping community, having both isn't overtly beneficial. If I’m a mapper, I want to go to the best mapping site. As I said earlier, there are a lot of mapping sites, meaning a lot of competition. Who would go to Maplantis for mapping when there are so many other developed and specialized communities on the subject? If I'm a modder, I'd want to belong to the best modding site. Yet, there aren’t any. That kind of void is the perfect niche to fill. That is Modcrafter's purpose.

Jun 3 2009, 2:38 am A_of-s_t Post #36

aka idmontie

I'm still trying to figure out why we simply cannot just mod for the sake of modding. Why do we need a clan? Or a different website?

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Jun 3 2009, 2:52 am Excalibur Post #37

The sword and the faith

The revival is not due to modding alone. I have a list of grievances with SEN a few miles long.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Jun 3 2009, 8:22 pm Sand Wraith Post #38

she/her

Hercanic's plans are an interesting development.

The way I see it, ML 2.0 would be a constantly evolving community with several elite members.
Modcrafters would be a definite niche-filler where the modders can stick around whenever ML 2.0's modding community is dying, and for Modcrafters' own regular visitors.

Seems like a good plan. Let SEN be map-focused, let Modcrafters be mod-focused, and let ML 2.0 the adapting community. Three homes for StarCraft players. Great.
When one site is down, move to another. Sounds epic.

Now, we can all support ML 2.0 and Modcrafters. Still, even though I am pumped for Modcrafters, I really think we should first get ML 2.0 running before working on Modcrafters.

Jun 5 2009, 6:59 am KooKsTeR Post #39

All I have to say in the matter of mods and maps is, the ultimate mod should be with a map. Combining the bests of both worlds. I did some projects for those of you who have been around long enough with this concept of mod maps. The possibilities with mods and maps are truly endless. I say we stick with a site with both modding and mapping, because truly mapping is modding. The only difference is you can use your map online and not your mod. So in other words I'm sticking with Excalibur. BUT I think we should name the new clan Mod Crafters anyway. It's catchy, and I like it.

None.

Jun 18 2009, 1:49 am TriggR_HappE Post #40

Well the development forum for ML 2.0 is gone I think, so I can't ask there. And since registering for ML 2.0 isn't functional yet, I can't ask there. Soooo, when can we expect to be able to register for ML 2.0?

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3 >
  Back to forum