Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Terrain > Topic: Terrain Mixing?
Terrain Mixing?
Oct 6 2007, 3:48 am
By: Mabrutha  

Oct 6 2007, 3:48 am Mabrutha Post #1

How the heck do i make a map 2 different tilesets? Is it possible???

None.

Oct 6 2007, 3:52 am MNeox Post #2

maybe with a mod, but I don't mod so I wouldn't know.

actually, maybe in like a image editor, but then that wouldn't be playable.

None.

Oct 6 2007, 4:37 am R.I.S.K Post #3

i would like to quote my post in the thread directly below this one.
from what i can tell (after conducting rigorous testing) each tileset is organized similarly to the pallets given by the map editors starforge and scmdraft. Each tile in a set as a tile ID, whether this is a number, letter, or group of symbols, i dont know. the problem with mixing tilesets (IE, saving a custom brush from another tileset and using it in a new one) is that tiles in one tileset have the same ID as tiles in another tileset, which causes the custom brush loaded to just be the tiles with the ID's in the new tileset. For example, if you use tile 1 from badlands, save it as a custom brush, then load it in ice, it will use tile 1 from ICE, not tile 1 from badlands. This means that custom tiles are saved by ID, not by tile data. If a way could be found that saved the image, then when loading, it adds it with a new ID that isn't the same as any of the tiles already there, then it might be possible to use the tiles in other tilesets.

None.

Oct 6 2007, 5:36 am Sie_Sayoka Post #4

the closest i believe you can come to mixing is using the null type for space and use some doodads to possibly make snow and stuff but you would need mods and crap to actually mix terrain

None.

Oct 6 2007, 5:44 am Ateo Post #5

LOL I asked this question first...

Anyway, according to the replies I got it seems like it would be difficult to accomplish even via modding...however if anyone else is interested maybe a few of us should come together to try an create a mod or program that allows you to mix tilesets...

None.

Oct 6 2007, 5:45 am MNeox Post #6

well at least i was right about the mod part :P

None.

Oct 6 2007, 5:48 am Syphon Post #7

No you can't.

Not even with modding because a limited number of tiles can be called.

None.

Oct 6 2007, 6:59 am JaBoK Post #8

There are alot of null tiles. They can be filled with a mod, badlands + jungle would look cool, and I'd encourage anyone to try it out.

None.

Oct 6 2007, 11:41 am Symmetry Post #9

Dungeon Master

JaBoK, you don't understand quite how tedious it is to do so. I tried to transfer about 12 rows of tiles, and it took me several hours (this was a long time ago). That, and every bloody tileset uses a different palette, so when you do mix them, everything ends up looking like crap anyway.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Oct 6 2007, 6:29 pm JaBoK Post #10

badlands has the same dirt and cliffs as jungle, so you'd only need to add the dead grass, some doodads, the asphalt and structure stuff. Even better, if you did it with a badlands map open you could sort of create "placables" like the end of asphalt, the edges, then the basic middle tiles. I know it'd be tedious, but you wouldn't need every variation, you'd have to be selective.

None.

Oct 6 2007, 6:50 pm Syphon Post #11

Quote from JaBoK
badlands has the same dirt and cliffs as jungle, so you'd only need to add the dead grass, some doodads, the asphalt and structure stuff. Even better, if you did it with a badlands map open you could sort of create "placables" like the end of asphalt, the edges, then the basic middle tiles. I know it'd be tedious, but you wouldn't need every variation, you'd have to be selective.

Adding some badlands terrain to jungle is the only one that's even remotely feasible with the number of null tiles, anyways. You have to realise that not all the null tiles are actually in maps, and that you'd never be able to place them isometrically too.

If you're still dedicated to doing this, decompile the frames of each megatile for the section of badlands, change the palette to the jungle one, recompile, reshape into the null area, then import into the jungle .cv5

Good luck. :P

None.

Oct 6 2007, 8:16 pm blacklight28 Post #12

You could go to map dimensions in SCMDraft2 and hit jungle or something and then click resize? But then it would be extremely blocky and there would be null terrain everywhere, but it works.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 2:42 am RoryFenrir Post #13

i have no idea but modding crap isnt easy, and i dont think it would be worth it. And the only way we would get this is if some of us terrainers became master modders and did it. We wont get the modders to do it for us.

None.

Oct 7 2007, 5:32 pm Dr. Shotgun Post #14

Tis not possible to mix tilesets in one map. You can modify a tileset so it contains tiles from another set, but to actually use multiple sets is impossible.

Unless you have the source code for Starcraft.

None.

Options
  Back to forum