Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 Melee Map Projects > Topic: (2)Soft Wind
(2)Soft Wind
Apr 19 2009, 12:19 am
By: Lord Malvanis  

Apr 19 2009, 12:19 am Lord Malvanis Post #1

I'm excited to release this because I put a good amount of effort into it.

(2)Soft Wind
Type: Islands
Players: 2
Terrain: Jungle
Size: 128x128

Image:

Thoughts/Comments/Ratings/Suggestions/Constructive Criticism are all welcome!

Attachments:
(2)Soft wind.scx
Hits: 1 Size: 71.92kb

Post has been edited 2 time(s), last time on Apr 19 2009, 5:36 am by Lord Malvanis.

None.

Apr 19 2009, 2:02 am Sand Wraith Post #2

she/her

Perhaps a few water doodads would make this map more interesting.

I believe that the Vespene Geyser placement is bad; this map suffers from the gas issue in its main bases. Red would mine faster[?] or would require only 3 gas miners[?]. What I mean to say is Red will have an advantage in terms of gas mining at the main base.

Apr 19 2009, 2:08 am Lord Malvanis Post #3

Are you saying this because blues vespene geysers looks a square farther away than reds?

None.

Apr 19 2009, 2:16 am ForTheSwarm Post #4

Quote from Lord Malvanis
Are you saying this because blues vespene geysers looks a square farther away than reds?

No. Geyserse on the right and bottom of the Command Center/Nexus/Hatchery have been proven to mine slower than geysers on the top or left of the town center building.

None.

Apr 19 2009, 2:37 am Lord Malvanis Post #5

I played the map and can agree.
I'll move it around and fix terrain later

None.

Apr 19 2009, 5:34 am Lord Malvanis Post #6

*Bump*

New picture, fixed island, vespene geyser is now left of player 2's starting location instead of right

None.

Apr 19 2009, 5:36 am Excalibur Post #7

The sword and the faith

Extreme amounts of wasted space, ugly, more ugly, and has absolutely no interesting elements to it.

I quote point four of my sticky:
4. IMPORTANT: Does my map have a concept, and is it worth playing?
-One of THE most important parts of a map is the concept. Nobody wants to play a standard main->nat->minonly->3rd gas->island anymore. Blocking minerals, extended ramps, pre-placed building sprites, anything that makes your map INTERESTING. Now it is hard to balance these interesting aspects, but that is part of making a good melee. Sometimes you have to be experimental in your concepts, even if it affects the balance negatively. This isn't to say that you should make a totally imba map with a weird experimental concept, because that's just silly. Another part of balance, is incorporating these elements positively.

Also, always remember curves > straight lines in melee maps. That's the entire reason why maps like this are so wonderful:

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Apr 19 2009, 5:44 am Lord Malvanis Post #8

Thanks for pointing out ways it could be more interesting, and I could never do curves like that.
I'm pretty sure I've got this mineral shit down, Its just the concept I'm having trouble with.

This probably sounds noob as hell, and I don't care, But how do I add a concept to my map?
I'm not that great of a terrainer, I would have to spend hours on one spot to make it look like some fancy RPG island expo.

None.

Apr 19 2009, 6:25 am Excalibur Post #9

The sword and the faith

Concept =/= fancy terrain. Concept has to do with mineral blocks, preplaced building sprites and spell sprites, using zerg eggs and other odd things that you don't see in a normal map.

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3539
Concept is interesting because of egg use.

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/comments.php?mapid=3538
Concept is interesting because of natural placement and preplaced buildings, also expo layout.

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/%282%29Korhal%20Pride%201.3.jpg
Concept makes interesting use of tileset specifics.

http://www.panschk.de/mappage/%284%29Avatar%28n%29.jpg
Concept obviously interesting due to preplaced building and spell sprites.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Apr 19 2009, 2:49 pm Centreri Post #10

Relatively ancient and inactive

Err... doesn't the fourth one heavily favor terran, though, because of how you can preplace siege tanks to make them essentially immune to melee units (that will be stuck under the corsair ray) and because they can destroy the natural blockers with three (well, not sure how much life those things have) big nukes? :omfg: I mean, I'm not good at that, but that fourth one seems imbalanced.

Otherwise, Malvanis, what took so much effort? It looks like twenty minutes work... very few doodads, lots of wasted space, boring terrain... you know there's a mirror function in SCMDraft, right?

None.

Apr 19 2009, 2:57 pm ForTheSwarm Post #11

Quote from Centreri
Err... doesn't the fourth one heavily favor terran, though, because of how you can preplace siege tanks to make them essentially immune to melee units (that will be stuck under the corsair ray)

Tanks can't fire from under them either. Nothing can.

and because they can destroy the natural blockers with three (well, not sure how much life those things have) big nukes?

3 siege tank hits can't take down those. They have 2000 HP, and siege tanks only do 70 damage.
Unless you're talking about actual nukes: nukes can kill anything in 2 hits, but it's kinda a waste of money to nuke those things, isn't it?

lrn2starcraft :P

None.

Apr 19 2009, 3:42 pm Centreri Post #12

Relatively ancient and inactive

Tanks can't fire from under them either. Nothing can.
So you put them behind, not inside..

3 siege tank hits can't take down those. They have 2000 HP, and siege tanks only do 70 damage.
Unless you're talking about actual nukes: nukes can kill anything in 2 hits, but it's kinda a waste of money to nuke those things, isn't it?
I don't know, two nukes to instantly open up another door into the enemy base seems decent to me.

lrn2starcraft :D

None.

Apr 19 2009, 4:37 pm Symmetry Post #13

Dungeon Master

Quote from Centreri
I don't know, two nukes to instantly open up another door into the enemy base seems decent to me.

lrn2starcraft :D

Cost of two ghosts: 50 minerals, 150 vespene, 2 supplies
Cost of two nuke silos: 200 minerals, 200 vespene
Cost of two nukes: 400 minerals, 400 gas, 16 supplies

Total cost: 650 minerals, 750 vespene, 18 supplies. You're also sacrificing two comsat stations to build the silos.

Next let's think about time. By the time you have the tech to even consider building these things, you should have a sizable force already. With your decent size force, it would take ~15-20s to destroy the blockade. Or, you could spend 2 or so minutes building the nukes (for the silos and the nukes, not counting covert ops tech or the science facility you'd need to make that), and then take your ghosts over and waiting the additional 15s wait or whatever it is for the nukes to drop.

Somehow using nukes to break through the blockade doesn't seem all that wise to me.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Apr 19 2009, 4:42 pm BeDazed Post #14

Nuking another player to show off that you have the superior advantage in all aspects seems pretty good to me.

None.

Apr 19 2009, 5:36 pm Symmetry Post #15

Dungeon Master

Quote from BeDazed
Nuking another player to show off that you have the superior advantage in all aspects seems pretty good to me.

If you've got that kind of advantage, you certainly don't need to 'instantly open a passage' to get to them.

:voy: :jaff: :voy: :jaff:

Apr 19 2009, 7:12 pm Excalibur Post #16

The sword and the faith

Since when was this topic's focus on examples used to help improve the map that the topic was about?

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

Apr 20 2009, 8:04 am BeDazed Post #17

Since never. Since the map is not 'conceptual' neither 'good' or 'practical'.

None.

Apr 25 2009, 1:32 am ClansAreForGays Post #18

Quote from name:Andrew Jackson
A map has never been able to give me a boner

...until now.

Apr 25 2009, 1:53 am Excalibur Post #19

The sword and the faith

Quote from ClansAreForGays
Quote from name:Andrew Jackson
A map has never been able to give me a boner

...until now.
Calm your pants, those spiral ramps do have some pathing problems.

The sword and the faith.

Sector 12

May 3 2009, 12:58 am samsizzle Post #20

Quote from Excalibur
Extreme amounts of wasted space, ugly, more ugly, and has absolutely no interesting elements to it.

I quote point four of my sticky:
4. IMPORTANT: Does my map have a concept, and is it worth playing?
-One of THE most important parts of a map is the concept. Nobody wants to play a standard main->nat->minonly->3rd gas->island anymore. Blocking minerals, extended ramps, pre-placed building sprites, anything that makes your map INTERESTING. Now it is hard to balance these interesting aspects, but that is part of making a good melee. Sometimes you have to be experimental in your concepts, even if it affects the balance negatively. This isn't to say that you should make a totally imba map with a weird experimental concept, because that's just silly. Another part of balance, is incorporating these elements positively.

Also, always remember curves > straight lines in melee maps. That's the entire reason why maps like this are so wonderful:

Where can i find this map?

None.

Options
  Back to forum