Staredit Network > Forums > SC1 UMS Theory and Ideas > Topic: UMS Ideas Megathread
UMS Ideas Megathread
Apr 4 2009, 5:50 pm
By: lil-Inferno
Pages: < 1 2 3

Dec 22 2009, 5:19 pm Kaaysel Post #41

...Yeah, ownage, lol.

Well, i was just saying you don't have to listen to me. Just an alternate system for more variety.

Besides in maps that try to mimic games where you jump a shitload o' distance, like for example Halo, it'd work out better (Although i effectively have no idea of what a Halo-like map would be).

EDIT: Here's a short "Shooter" style test map that implements a few concepts like:

Constantly centering vision on you by using a location that also constantly centers vision on you.
Making your main unit defenseless if not for another unit who can kill your enemies but can't stray too far from you.

Oh and i didn't use hypetriggers. Didn't really feel like doing that for a simple test map.

EDIT2: Nevermind gotta fix something in it otherwise it isn't playable.

EDIT 3: Fixed it now. It's real crap though, but at least it's usable and the concepts are understandable aren't they?

Attachments:
Short FPS Project.scx
Hits: 1 Size: 39.15kb

Post has been edited 4 time(s), last time on Dec 22 2009, 6:08 pm by Kaaysel.

None.

Dec 22 2009, 7:16 pm ImagoDeo Post #42

I've always wanted to make an RPG that's more of an RP than an RPG. Do you get my meaning?

For every single action in the game, a huge system of death counters causes repercussions based on those actions. Even down to moving from location to location. The game tries to get a general idea of your personality based on your actions, even while the story is progressing. It's not impossible, but it would require a crapload of triggers.

None.

Dec 22 2009, 7:58 pm LoveLess Post #43

Let me show you how to hump without making love.

Quote from ImagoDeo
I've always wanted to make an RPG that's more of an RP than an RPG. Do you get my meaning?

For every single action in the game, a huge system of death counters causes repercussions based on those actions. Even down to moving from location to location. The game tries to get a general idea of your personality based on your actions, even while the story is progressing. It's not impossible, but it would require a crapload of triggers.
I met a mapper on battle.net the other day that is working on a few RPGs like that, look forward to them in the future. I won't disclose his name because even I didn't know about him and he likes it that way, he evens uses a fake alias.

None.

Dec 23 2009, 10:59 pm poison_us Post #44

Back* from the grave

Quote from ImagoDeo
It's not impossible, but it would require a crapload of triggers.
Now you're speaking Ahli's language.

Jan 1 2010, 8:15 pm ImagoDeo Post #45

Quote from poison_us
Quote from ImagoDeo
It's not impossible, but it would require a crapload of triggers.
Now you're speaking Ahli's language.

Yeah, I know.

Another idea I came up with not too long ago is the idea of customizable bases. For example, in an AoS/TS/HS/DotA-type game, each team could have a leader who specifically sets spawn points, base defenses, mines, heal points, and all sorts of other things. The system I came up with was rather simple:

Each team leader is given an SCV and a certain number of minerals (for offensive things) and gas (for defensive things). For example, constructing a barracks creates a spawn point. The location labeled 'spawn point 1' is centered on the barracks and a death count or switch is set to let the game know that that location is in use. Differing effects could be created by placing different structures.

I also worked out a simple system to let players set an objective for the opposing team. By a civilian/beacon system or something, the team leader decides whether the other team has to destroy an object, retrieve an object, touch a beacon, eliminate all members of the opposing team, or anything else that can be thought of. By the same method, the health of the object to destroy can be set (a death counter indicating its health, and the health being set accordingly at the start of the game); the location of the beacon or object to be retrieved can be set by the builder method; and whatever special rules the team leaders want to set that you can think of can be accommodated.

The game type can be decided, as well - FFA, Deathmatch, Siege, CTF... the possibilities are endless. Hybrids of these can be done, too.

Each team would receive a certain number of points (minerals/gas) based on the game type that they choose and other factors, to balance the game no matter what combination is chosen.

None.

Jul 26 2010, 10:44 pm ImagoDeo Post #46

NECRO'D.

Now, on to business.

I had this idea back when the theme for the week-long contest was 'Single Player':

-The player begins on a team with a bunch of computers to play a puzzle game. The computers are controlled by text messages that make them act like B.net pubbies doing a puzzle-solving game. ("d00d how do i move the ling? wtf man" "my zergling" "oh")
-Very soon into the game, all the computerized 'players' drop from the game, along with funny text from the remaining computers as they vanish one by one. The map progresses, however.
-The map is triggered such that it appears to require at least two players to complete - but in fact the one player will always be able to find a way through if he thinks hard enough.
-Trigger 'glitches' are incorporated to make the player feel as though he's exploiting glitches, when in fact it's built that way. These glitches allow progression in tricky spots.

I figured I'd post it here since the chances of it getting done properly at my end are only slightly better than the chances of hell freezing over sometime in the next half second.

None.

Options
Pages: < 1 2 3
  Back to forum