Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Projects > Topic: Inconscient Soothsayer!
Inconscient Soothsayer!
Feb 16 2009, 3:55 am
By: Syphon  

Feb 16 2009, 3:55 am Syphon Post #1

This is the little mod I've been working on for a few weeks. Mainly graphics so far, but you can know the deets now. It's based on an old Gameboy Colour game that nearly no one ever played, but was awesome. It's set in the SC universe 'cause I am not creative (Unless you're talking about Oppidan Decadence.) Anyways. Here.

Intro/Story

Set far in the past on Aiur, towards the closing days Aeon of Strife the Dark and High Templar seek for a means to end the war and secure victory. The Soothsayers, ancient Protoss mages capable of turning the tide of any battle reveal themselves, and now the race is on between the two factions to sway them to their side and end the war forever.

Gameplay

Split between two balanced races, the High and Dark Templar, with very limited offensive and defensive capabilities. The really advantages in battle come from controlling Soothsayers. Soothsayers are randomly sprinkled around the map at the beginning of a game, and can be built once recovered. Each player can only control three at once, and each has a unique power. Think of it like an RTS mixed with Pokémon. Other features include...

- Two resource system without building geyser buildings. They are rather preplaced, and setting up a base will automatically capture them. Also, flipped the roles of minerals and 'gas' 'cause I'm awesome.

- Sweet GRPs!

- Completely impossible to do well in a game with Corban turtling.

- Cooldown based spells? Possibly. We'll see.

- Another thing I don't talk about here AT ALL. :hurr:

Units/Tech Tree

Resources

Tech Trees

Units

- Nexus - Builds Probes, Witnesses.
- Pylon - Psi field, control.
- Forge - Research upgrades, and up the tech tree.
- Barracks - Builds Zealots and Vindicators.
- Citadel - Lets you bring down your Soothsayers, ups tech tree.
- Photon Cannon - Just your run of the mill AA/AG. Detects.

- Probe - Exactly the same as your basic SC counterpart.
- Witness - Pretty much a non-cloaked precursor to the Observer. Flies, detects, no armament.
- Zealot - Just your run of the mill Zealot.
- Vindicator - A ground ranged unit. Shoots lightning gun. Pew pew. Attacks air and ground.

- Ziggurat - The DT Nexus. Produces Navs and Matriarchs.
- Garrison - The DT Barracks. Produces Guerillas, Slayers, and Heels.
- Shrine - The DT Citadel. Ups tech tree and allows you to call down your Soothsayers into battle.
- Scorpio - The DT AG defense.
- Plasma Ballista - The DT AA defense. Also, detects.

- Nav - Essentially, the probe. But darker. (Like Batman)
- Matriarch - Provides supply, detects. Basically an Overlord.
- Guerilla - The DT hand to hand unit. Attacks, and all that.
- Slayer - The DT ranged unit. Attacks ground only.
- Heel - The DT scout. Cloaked, fast, no attack.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:05 am l)ark_ssj9kevin Post #2

Just here for the activity... well not really

Is this going to be something we need to play on a certain map set?

guy lifting weight (animated smiley):

O-IC
OI-C

"Oh, I see it"

Feb 16 2009, 4:10 am Demented Shaman Post #3

Buckethead?

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:14 am EzDay281 Post #4

Nice trees. Wherefrom?
I think "Inconscient" sounds ugly in this name. =P
Gameplay sounds interesting. Kinda like what a lot of my thought processes should have led to, but apparently never managed. Ah well.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:23 am RoryFenrir Post #5

i like the trees, are they just recolored trees from starcraft? omg that would be so sweet if someone made a mod where you cut down trees instead of mine minerals! but i guess you dont really use wood to make starships :/

the building grps look sweet too!

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:27 am Corbo Post #6

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

The trees are from ice tileset if I am not mistaken

fuck you all

Feb 16 2009, 4:33 am Syphon Post #7

Quote from l)ark_ssj9kevin
Is this going to be something we need to play on a certain map set?

Probably not. I'm going to use the location plugin and some wizardry.

Quote from name:Barack Obama
Buckethead?

Of course.

Quote from EzDay281
Nice trees. Wherefrom?
I think "Inconscient" sounds ugly in this name. =P
Gameplay sounds interesting. Kinda like what a lot of my thought processes should have led to, but apparently never managed. Ah well.

Ice tileset. Yes it does. I know, right?

Quote from RoryFenrir
i like the trees, are they just recolored trees from starcraft? omg that would be so sweet if someone made a mod where you cut down trees instead of mine minerals! but i guess you dont really use wood to make starships :/

the building grps look sweet too!

Yes.

Someone is. It's me. It's this mod. You're literally in the thread, commenting on the trees that you cut down instead of mining minerals. There are no starships, it's set far in the past, before they were common.

Thanks.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:38 am RoryFenrir Post #8

sweet

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:41 am Sand Wraith Post #9

she/her

The trees are from the Ice tileset. And the Citadel is a recolour of a twilight doodad >>.

I think DTs are at a disadvantage. They have no AA ranged unit and their AG and AA defenses are... exactly that. One of AG, and one for AA. So I would presume that DT's cost for AG+AA = HT AG/AA defense structure. If the Guerilla had a melee AG and a ranged AA, that would make for something interesting. Also, if the HT defense structure required 3x2 spaces, that would also be interesting (since DT needs 4x2 for AG/AA) for balancing.

Oh, and you forgot island map support. We need transports. Really badly (how else are we going to call down our Soothsayers behind mineral and tree lines?).

-

I'm really looking forward to this. A quick mini-mod with small tech-tree focused on micro (IMO)... Very compelling!

Nice graphics too.

Feb 16 2009, 4:53 am Syphon Post #10

The High don't have an air attack unit... The ballista is essentially for taking out Witnesses. Trust me. It's balanced. I spent quite a while balancing it. All I have to do is make sure attack/armor values for the units wind up balanced.

There's a few ways I can balance on island maps. One of them is a default unlocked soothsayer that is an aerial transport. I could also make recoverable portals out of Nydus canals, in the same vein as the 'geysers'.

And it's not going to be as quick as it should have been... I'm going to try to use every single unused slot for a unique Soothsayer.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 5:20 am Sand Wraith Post #11

she/her

Quote from Syphon
The High don't have an air attack unit...
-...-
One of them is a default unlocked soothsayer that is an aerial transport.

The DT are still at a disadvantage. They have no standard unit to attack aerial transports, whereas the HT do. Unless, the DT had a very strong AA structure... Still, DT seems to be at a disadvantage.

If you say that it is balanced, Syphon, it probably is, since I'm probably misinterpreting something somewhere.

Oh, and you could also use Hero units for Soothsayers. Or maybe you don't want to... I dunno.

Feb 16 2009, 5:25 am Syphon Post #12

Soothsayers are going to be every unit not used for something else. Obviously that includes heroes...

None.

Feb 16 2009, 2:41 pm Biophysicist Post #13

I just want to say that that would be epic. Can we have some examples of some of Sootsayersh? Also, will you take suggestions for Soothsayer units?

Also, you should make a system where you can unlock the ability to control more than three soothythings. It should cost a lot of resources though, and should be capped at 5 or 6.

I like the portal idea. Make 'em invulnerable, of course. You could make a soothything that can build them, although that might be op...

None.

Feb 16 2009, 2:44 pm Devourer Post #14

Hello

Sounds and looks cool...
I like how you combinated the doodad (twilight) with some buildings^^

Please report errors in the Staredit.Network forum.

Feb 16 2009, 3:07 pm ForTheSwarm Post #15

Is the name derived from Inordinate Celerity? Sounds like it. :P

Is the Heel air or ground?

None.

Feb 16 2009, 3:54 pm FlyingHat Post #16

I still think you should've done hobos and Mexicans.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 4:50 pm Syphon Post #17

Quote from name:TassadarZeratul
I just want to say that that would be epic. Can we have some examples of some of Sootsayersh? Also, will you take suggestions for Soothsayer units?

Also, you should make a system where you can unlock the ability to control more than three soothythings. It should cost a lot of resources though, and should be capped at 5 or 6.

I like the portal idea. Make 'em invulnerable, of course. You could make a soothything that can build them, although that might be op...

I'll obviously take ideas. Lay 'em out. The basic idea of the soothsayers is that they'll rather vulnerable ground units that have one advantage giving ability.

And MAYBE there'll be a Soothsayer limit upgrade, along the same vein as the regular weapons/armour/shield upgrades. Maybe.

Quote from ForTheSwarm
Is the name derived from Inordinate Celerity? Sounds like it. :P

Is the Heel air or ground?

No. Not really. It basically means Sleeping Mages. But thesaurisied.

Heel is ground.

None.

Feb 16 2009, 6:00 pm A_of-s_t Post #18

aka idmontie

That forge looks sweet -- how'd you make that graphic? [/sarcasm]
Looks nice. I can't wait to see how it plays.

Personal GitHub
Starcraft GitHub Organization - Feel free to request member status!
TwitchTV

Feb 17 2009, 1:01 pm Sand Wraith Post #19

she/her

Idea: each SC spell has its own unit, or maybe other ratios.

Oh, and I've noticed that you have flipped the Citadel. <3

Feb 18 2009, 5:30 am Syphon Post #20

Alright, today I started moving around default units and editing tables, implemented the graphics for all the trees, and removed their shadows, which looked goofy 'cause they overlap. Also threw in the consoles. It's coming together rather quickly. Tomorrow, if I work on it at all, I'll make one or both building tech trees.

None.

Options
  Back to forum